PDA

View Full Version : New to forum wondering about remap

Mini2023
20th June 2013, 12:47 PM
Hi everyone I've just joined the forum so first of all would like to say hi to all the people on here , I've got a 2003 Mini Cooper with full jcw / aero body kit and all cooper s extra steering wheel alloys Ect only thing it hasn't got is the engine power lol anyway I've been looking around about remaps Ect I've had a look in this forum and looks like someone does a custom map for £40 i would like to get one of these so I was wondering if someone could send me in the right direction how to get this done as really want one done lol any help is much appreciated thanks

Gismo
20th June 2013, 01:00 PM
The Cooper is pretty much maxed out in the tuning area, what you can do is help it breathe better with a better air filter and less restrictive exhaust.

As for remap you won't really gain that much on it's own, bluefin is probably you're best bet, but, it's not a £40 deal.

Playmini is the dogs danglies for the exhaust, air filter is personal preference and some others will advise you there.

I'd be very wary of a £40 remap from someone unless they are a reputable dealer

Mini2023
20th June 2013, 02:06 PM
Hi thanks for the reply I know I will only get about 10bhp extra but would rather pay £40 if I can rather than £200 for a bluefin if you know what I mean , I saw it advertised on here for £40 you download your Ecu map send it via email then the guy sends a custom map back something beginning with a m it's called does anyone know who does it and how I can get in touch with them thanks

Mon the fish
20th June 2013, 02:25 PM
I would only go for a map where it was custom to the car - i.e. on a dyno, with AFR readings etc.

Bluefins are known to kill engines, as all they do as lean out the top end.

For a Cooper, a remap isn't worth it IMO. Get a filter and zorst as above, and enjoy the butt dyno gains. Getting power out of an R50 costs serious money. And will kill your gearbox quicker

Mini2023
20th June 2013, 02:38 PM
Hi ok thanks for the advice , what filter would people on here recommend ? Thanks for all the advice again

stoney
20th June 2013, 06:13 PM
Have s look at GTT mini and Lohen websites they have a range of stuff that you can chose from but as others have said a remap will be no use for a cooper

Mon the fish
20th June 2013, 06:33 PM
If it's power you want, don't go for an open air filter. Get something that fits in the existing airbox

Crombers
20th June 2013, 06:54 PM
I've got the full Playmini (manifold, sports cat & stainless back box) set up along with the K&N 57i induction kit. Increase in power will probably be into the mid 120's but it has never been tested.
As Mon says I'd probably be better off with a panel filter but I like the sound and can always revert back at any time.
Always resisted going any further with the R5O Cooper as pointless really & only sensible move would be to buy an R53 'S' if you want more power.

Mini2023
20th June 2013, 09:09 PM
Hi all thanks for the replies really appreciate the advice , I think I might go for a filter now and see how it goes then myt upgrade to a cooper s about September October time , what filter would you guys recommend for my cooper I would rather get one to fit in the original box/housing any help please post thanks again

Crombers
21st June 2013, 07:07 AM
K&N panel filter was my choice, just drops into the air box :yes nod:

stoney
21st June 2013, 07:43 AM
ITG are very good as well I had them on my old mini's

Mon the fish
21st June 2013, 08:27 AM
You can do an R53 engine conversion to your Cooper, costs about £1.5k and you keep the cheaper Cooper road tax...

Mini2023
23rd June 2013, 03:38 PM
Hi everyone sorry haven't replied to your advice been working anyway thanks for all the advice I'm going to order a k&n panel filter this week and give the car a good service hopefully next weekend if I don't have to work oil change oil filter spark plugs coolant change Ect and the new k&n filter will report back when all done and update how I got on also going to keep the cooper till October and upgrade to a cooper s thanks again for the advice