PDA

View Full Version : Handling and Steering! How to do I improve it?

The Dogfather
18th August 2004, 06:53 AM
I need some advice on how to improve the handling on my old Audi A4. It's a standard 1.8 with 16" alloys (205 tyres)

I've got a limited budget (I'd rather spend the money on the MINI)and I'd like to improve the steering which is lifeless and overly light, the and improve body control (too much body roll and float).

Basically this is my work horse and I keep driving it the same way I drive my MINI. I need to make improvements before I wrap it round a tree!:eek:

Help!:)

minidriver#1
18th August 2004, 07:11 AM
wider wheels, lighter front end, front strut brace and maybe lowered slight. but i dont know if thats technically sound.

john
18th August 2004, 04:22 PM
You could spend all your cash making it the best handling Audi there is,BUT whenever you you get in it after driving your mini you will still think its crap.;):D

Big Gordy
18th August 2004, 04:29 PM
Biggest difference you can make is with up-rated shocks, something like Koni adjustables. If you lower it at the same time all the better :D If its 'old' then like KJ says a strut brace will tie it all back together nicely. Not much you can do about the light steering as its usually down to what type of power steering pump is used 8) Hope that helps :p:D:approve:

The Dogfather
18th August 2004, 04:56 PM
Thanks guys. I just wanted to know where best to spend my money. It's an obvious one, just trade it for another MINI!

Scottie
18th August 2004, 06:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by john

You could spend all your cash making it the best handling Audi there is,BUT whenever you you get in it after driving your mini you will still think its crap.;):D

Audi crap NO! NO!. :eek: I love my Mini but the best car's out there are
Volkswagen (Touareg) plus Audi's.

Big Gordy
18th August 2004, 07:05 PM
Best car 'Touareg':eek: are you mentally challenged my friend :blackeye: Its an awfy looking thing (IMHO) What bloody use is a 'jacked-up' car for gods sake :dead: :p:D:approve:

Duncan Stewart
18th August 2004, 07:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

Best car 'Touareg':eek: are you mentally challenged my friend :blackeye: Its an awfy looking thing (IMHO) What bloody use is a 'jacked-up' car for gods sake :dead: :p:D:approve:

:D:Doh oh - into what people think about cars other than Minis zone! :p some one will say they like that awful jacked up porche thing next ;)
<runs away a hides as I've probably upset someone> :eek:

Scottie
18th August 2004, 07:45 PM

What.:eek::eek: You have not taste:clown::clown:

Scottie
18th August 2004, 07:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

What.:eek::eek: You have not taste:clown::clown:

Oh:evil: I forgot to mention my 2 Touareg's yes we have 2 are not jacked up:evil:
thay have air suspension:approve::approve: Now leave them alone stop hurting my feelings;)

Big Col
18th August 2004, 08:20 PM
I FCUKIN HATE PORSCHE CAYENNES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're fcukin ugly, fcukin poncey and fcukin expensive! The most annoying this is that the people that have them could have bought a fcuking AMAZING 911 for the same fcuking money!!!!

Fcukers!!!!!
:mad::blackeye::mad::blackeye:

Big Gordy
18th August 2004, 08:35 PM
Language Timothy.........:mad: :p:approve:

R7 ETH
18th August 2004, 08:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

they sound nice though for a mpv/4x4 wannabe

Scottie
18th August 2004, 09:21 PM

They're fcukin ugly, fcukin poncey and fcukin expensive! The most annoying this is that the people that have them could have bought a fcuking AMAZING 911 for the same fcuking money!!!!

Fcukers!!!!!

WOW :eek::eek: Thast's alot of emotion showing there:p Oh well I though about a Cayenne I like them:D

The Dogfather
18th August 2004, 09:47 PM
Oh dear! Another can of worms opened!

4x4 are only good for one thing - going off road. Unfortunately too many are used for schools runs and round town. And anyone who says they drive one because they feel safe is an t osser, as they are usually less safe than a standard car.

However if I owned a large estate or summat I'd go for a Toureg 5.0d, so much torque you'd be able to tow a house.

Scottie
18th August 2004, 10:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Oh dear! Another can of worms opened!

4x4 are only good for one thing - going off road. Unfortunately too many are used for schools runs and round town. And anyone who says they drive one because they feel safe is an t osser, as they are usually less safe than a standard car.

However if I owned a large estate or summat I'd go for a Toureg 5.0d, so much torque you'd be able to tow a house.

Yip you sure can well a caravan anyway:D:D:D

X30YES
18th August 2004, 10:23 PM
Fockers here, Fockers there, Fockers all over the place said one RAF pilot buring the battle of britain :D

Fcukers!!!!!

WOW :eek::eek: Thast's alot of emotion showing there:p Oh well I though about a Cayenne I like them:D

sh@z
18th August 2004, 11:02 PM
who would buy a flippen Porsche to drive it offroad, UK's getting the whole SUV bug and its getting a bit ridiculous... noticing it more and more round edinburgh.

Why you got 2 Touregs scottiecoop.. in case one breaks down ;) hehe kidding. But seriously did you get them for their offroad ability? My dad was thinking of getting a Porsche Cayenne, X5 4.4i, but i soon sorted him out!!! haha

bad dog mini: i dont think theres a great deal u can do other then lowering, sway bars, wider tyres/wheels in order to improve the handling of your Audi, as said too the lightness of your power steering is down to the pump and power steering system as opposed to anything else. Audi's are renowned for feeling a bit 'dead' through the steering eh :dead:

Scottie
18th August 2004, 11:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by sh@z

Why you got 2 Touregs scottiecoop.. in case one breaks down ;) hehe kidding. But seriously did you get them for their offroad ability? My dad was thinking of getting a Porsche Cayenne, X5 4.4i, but i soon sorted him out!!! haha

Nope Allan got the V10 for it's towing ability.:approve:

I got the V6 cause I wanted one.

Julz
19th August 2004, 12:00 AM
Ok, open myself for more abuse here!! I like the Cayenne, fair enough, they ain't that bonnie, and you could get a rather nice 911 for the same cash, but I like the idea that old codgers don't look as bloomin' stupid in them as they do struggling to get in and out of a 911!! Plus, they're great fun off-road (we have a friend who has one and he's 63, got it so he can his dogs places with him!!:eek:):clown:

We're back to the individual thing, and please, no more promotion of a certain designer label!:)

Big Col
19th August 2004, 12:03 AM
<thwaps Julz in the face with a salmon>

Julz
19th August 2004, 12:09 AM
<takes Big C's salmon, fries it in a little butter with some lime and corriander, then throws rotten eggs at Big C>:blackeye:

Big Gordy
19th August 2004, 12:34 AM
Oiy :evil: Get over to the other thread if you pair want to start that carry on :p:D:approve:

Big Col
19th August 2004, 03:52 PM
Ahhhh shurrup Big G! Julz is a mod! She can do whatever she likes wherever she likes! :approve:

KenL
19th August 2004, 06:59 PM

quote:Originally posted by john

Audi crap NO! NO!. :eek: I love my Mini but the best car's out there are
Volkswagen (Touareg) plus Audi's.

Well said :D

I hate those bloddy off-roaders though - all of them :mad: I don't think you should be allowed to own one if you are not a farmer :approve:

Scottie
19th August 2004, 07:45 PM
[/quote]

Well said :D

I hate those bloddy off-roaders though - all of them :mad: I don't think you should be allowed to own one if you are not a farmer :approve:
[/quote]

My Dad was do I qualify.

KenL
19th August 2004, 08:28 PM
My Dad was do I qualify.

Nope :D