PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Recommendations - Central belt

Fluoxetine
5th June 2013, 10:07 AM
Hi folks,

An impulse purchase led to me being in possession of these:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/Laragctil/IMG_3867_zpsa66f231c.jpg

I've seen the online guides, and would be inclined to have a go at fitting myself (my brother in law's a mechanic, and would help out), however I'm really pushed for time over the next few weeks, and may have a dealer fit them instead.

I popped by Menzies Stirling on Monday, but the chap on the service desk didn't seem to be aware of an official DRL kit ("We only fit BMW approved parts..." - "Yes; that's what I'm asking you to fit!")

He was supposed to get back to me on Monday with a price quote, but hasn't - I'm not filled with confidence, but I will chase them up today.

Book time is supposed to be an hour & a half.

Do NMS have a favoured garage, who'd be able to do the work, and is there any discount arrangements on labour rates?

Stewart
5th June 2013, 11:14 AM
I would not worry about the parts department my official MINI part front aero grille for my Cooper did not exist even when I had the right part number as far as my local dealer was concerned. I even took the guy out and pointed to one of the cars on the lot and said that grille and pointed to my chrome one and said there trying not to be pratish about it and he still said nah MINI don’t do it.

Good luck with the fit, looks a nice wee addition and welcome to the site. I seen on the other thread, very nice Works!

Craig
5th June 2013, 11:30 AM
I would just use an auto electrician as I take it these do not need coded to the car??

Stirling Auto Services are very good and reasonably priced. They used to be Stirling Auto Electrics ;)

Fluoxetine
5th June 2013, 06:57 PM
Cheers folks - The lights don't need coding, but I'm fitting some seats soon which will require the passenger seatbelt reminder to be switched to a 'Retrofit' coding, so was keen to find the best place for future work also.

I've used Stirling Auto Electrics many moons ago (1999!) to bypass a faulty immobiliser on my old Elan SE, which left me stranded.

Couldn't fault their work, but as fitting the DRL's requires the front bumper / possibly wheels & arch liners to be removed, I figured they wouldn't be too interested.

I'm keen to find a dealer who's done the work before - Apparently there's an error in the printed wiring instructions for the footwell module, so I was hoping the workshop would be aware of this. (DRL's were only added to the accessories catalogue in late April, so they're pretty new).

Will let you know how I get on! :)

Tam1314
10th June 2013, 08:54 AM
Quite fancy these as replacements for the current ones. Let me know how you get on.

Interesting user name by the way.

EcosseGP
10th June 2013, 07:21 PM
I must just be lucky as I've never had a problem with Menzies although they never rush to phone you except Callum, in the parts department, who always calls when my parts come in.

You're right though they will not fit anything that isn't OEM but if it was me I'd just give them another call and ask again if they've got you a price. If you know the fitting time you'll have an idea of the cost given you're only going to pay the labour.

I had them fit centre consul gauges to the car a few months ago, job sheet said 75 minutes but it took them 8 hours, however I only paid the 75 mins labour. Great job and all done without an issue for me. If you didn't want to use them like Craig says maybe an auto electrician will do them for you they'll not bother about removing trim ;)

I intend to live forever ... So far so good !

Fluoxetine
11th June 2013, 06:16 PM
Cheers folks - They got back to me this afternoon, and the car's booked in for next Thursday morning.

In their (slight) defence, I changed the requirements from my initial query (originally I wanted them to fit a GP2 diffuser for me, but they didn't know what that was, so I'll leave it for now and fit it myself in a few weeks).

DRL fitting time on the Mini Accessories website is 1.5 hrs, and that's what they've quoted for. (The OEM p/n is: 6312 2338 554)

I'm keen to use them, as the front bumper definitely needs to come off to fit the DRL's, as does the grill - If any of the trim clips break in the process, at least a main dealer should have them to hand.

Will let you know how things go, and hopefully post some pics next Thursday!

KenL
11th June 2013, 06:33 PM
Dealers never have anything to hand in my experience!

Good luck with new bits and please post pictures.

Fluoxetine
20th June 2013, 06:19 PM
Just collected the car this evening - Happy with the end result... Pics below:

DRL Mode - With headlights on 'auto', comes on when you put the key in the slot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/Laragctil/MINILED-1_zps7192e253.jpg

Sidelight mode (Top half of the ring illuminated).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/Laragctil/MINILED-2_zps6f700081.jpg

Xenon fog light mode

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/Laragctil/MINILED-3_zpscc87f22e.jpg

Nice bit of detail -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/Laragctil/MINILED-4_zpsbf90520f.jpg

(Excuse the questionable number plate stickers - The car will be spending some time in Ireland, and I want to make clear it's a Scottish car, rather than risk a possible keying...!)

Stewart
20th June 2013, 07:21 PM
I like that! :thumbs up: So how much were you out of pocket all in for the lights and fitting?

stoney
20th June 2013, 07:53 PM
I like that as well ^^^ as above and where did you get it done in the end ??

SCOOTERBUK
20th June 2013, 07:58 PM
Looking good :thumbs up: I priced them for a customer the other day but never heard back, we were £399 fitted

Stewart
21st June 2013, 11:20 AM
These I’m sure were the lights shown on an official MINI stand at one of the early car shows this year. I hope they become standard as it’s the wee touches like this that just adds so much when add them up.

N16SHP
21st June 2013, 11:46 AM
They do look very good I must admit.

Fluoxetine
21st June 2013, 12:47 PM
Cheers folks - I had Menzies fit them in the end.

It was the first set they've fitted, and apparently half the staff from the dealership visited the workshop for a look, as they weren't aware an official kit even existed.

As for cost - I bought the DRL's myself for £236 delivered - I was going to fit them myself (There's a brilliant pictorial guide on Total Mini), but realised I wouldn't have the time to do it for at least 2 months, so bit the bullet and had a dealer do the job. (They charged 1.5 hrs labour = £150)

It's a lot of money for a cosmetic change - But it's freshened the front-end markedly, and is a well integrated OEM look upgrade (I'm not a fan of the individual LED kits, as they just scream 'eBay' to me).

The used fog / side lights seem to fetch £40-50 on eBay, so if you were willing to DIY (there's no coding involved), you could have the DRL's fitted for £190-200 in total.

I've now got a GP2 rear diffuser to fit (I'll do that myself), and I seem to have acquired the JCW Recaro Sportster CS's which were for sale in the classifieds, so I'll need to get them in the car too...

And this was supposed to be a cheap / fun car... At least it continues to fulfil the latter! :smilewinkgrin:

- - - Updated - - -

These I’m sure were the lights shown on an official MINI stand at one of the early car shows this year. I hope they become standard as it’s the wee touches like this that just adds so much when add them up.

Sounds about right - They've only been available to order from late April (6-7 weeks?) - Haven't seen another car on the road with them yet...

EcosseGP
21st June 2013, 03:04 PM
Cracking after market upgrade I'm sure a few will follow .. ;)

I intend to live forever ... So far so good !

Stewart
22nd June 2013, 10:40 AM
Sounds about right - They've only been available to order from late April (6-7 weeks?) - Haven't seen another car on the road with them yet...

Sister just got a brand new Cooper on Friday so I dont think these will be on the R56's, be nice if the F56 had them as standard.

KenL
23rd June 2013, 05:06 PM
Sister just got a brand new Cooper on Friday so I dont think these will be on the R56's, be nice if the F56 had them as standard.

I believe the F56 will have to have some sort of DRL fitted to it to meet the latest regulations. Some manufacturers are using "normal" lights and others LED.

Do we even know if the F56 will have lights within the bumper? I hope so.

Scottnp
11th August 2013, 01:10 PM
getting these as part of the deal with my new cooper, will post a pic when it's arrived!