PDA

View Full Version : A dealer visit.

GreigJCW
31st May 2013, 06:30 PM
So I popped into my local dealer today (craigs fav place) mostly to discuss a rattle from the back of the car. Got a fantastic relationship with the guy who sold me my car. He knows what I am like and just so looks after me. Anyway got the car on the ramp within 10 mins and turns out the heat Shield was rubbing. So 2 mins and it was sorted.

While I waited I enquired about the works paceman sitting out the back.....don't worry no intention of changing at least not yet. This is very likely to be my next mini so I asked if I could get a blast.

I was told that due to insurance purposes ie the cover the garage has only goes to 32k, the £37,000 paceman was not being allowed to be test driven by anyone.

A little disappointed to say the least. Anyway Craig as I say looks after me, so he went and spoke to the top man in the branch. All being well I will be getting this next week for an afternoon to play with. I have to say it looked epic I mean really really nice. I took a few snaps.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/01/e5a2e6uq.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/01/8eje6eqy.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/01/quja9y4u.jpg

Gismo
31st May 2013, 07:19 PM
No test drive to buy a 37k car would mean a no sale for me

stoney
31st May 2013, 07:23 PM
4298Seen one of them in black at Newcastle it look really nice ;) but just a bit out my price range :lol:

Stewart
31st May 2013, 07:24 PM
£37K :thud: that's some price it must have all the toys......

GreigJCW
31st May 2013, 07:25 PM
£37K :thud: that's some price it must have all the toys......

It was nice but no not everything Stewart. I recon there was at least another 3 or 4 k possible. Some price

GreigJCW
31st May 2013, 07:43 PM
Exactly Alan. BLACK ROB argh lol

stoney
31st May 2013, 07:45 PM
No test drive to buys 37k car would mean no sale for me

This would be the same for me as well I even went down to test drive my cubbie :D

GreigJCW
31st May 2013, 08:08 PM
Ill post my thoughts next week. Hoping it will be all that.

Stewart
31st May 2013, 11:28 PM
Works power on an All4 could be interesting but it’s a heavier car to your clubbie.

d.oxley72
1st June 2013, 06:03 AM
£37 and no sunroof? No thanks.

If I had that sort of money, I'd buy a Mini Goodwood, with a sunroof.
http://www.mini.co.uk/model-range/hatch/inspired-by-goodwood/

GreigJCW
1st June 2013, 07:52 AM
Works power on an All4 could be interesting but it’s a heavier car to your clubbie.

I know, only 2-3 tenths slower I think.

N16SHP
2nd June 2013, 08:51 PM
Jesus £37k for a Mini...unreal! Hope you have a blast in it Greig!!

GreigJCW
2nd June 2013, 10:29 PM
Jesus £37k for a Mini...unreal! Hope you have a blast in it Greig!!

All being well this week Neil.

gauldrymini
3rd June 2013, 09:12 AM
That Paceman looks fantastic:thumbs up:

Interesting to see how you get on with it Greig...mind and keep the cheque book at home (temptation and all that:Whistle:)

Andrew

ELFMAN
3rd June 2013, 10:47 AM
£37K!!!!!!!!!!! You MUST be KIDDING! :blink:
I can see the point of £29K for the GP2 - it's a great car, and right up there with the very best for driving enjoyment, but this Paceman, even in JCW guise, won't give you the thrills of the GP (or the JCW Clubbie!), the practicality of the Countryman (or at that price, many other 'non-MINI' SUV alternatives). The fact that the dealer is also putting it on a "You can't touch this" pedestal just makes the whole thing seem even more ridiculous :frown: It might be a decent motor, but for me, it's "The Emperor's New Clothes" in automotive form. Thanks, but no thanks.

GreigJCW
3rd June 2013, 11:06 AM
I hear you and your right. Hopefully a shot this week will tell. Four wheel drive should be good. A remap on this to say 260-270 with the 4x4 should be interesting.

ELFMAN
3rd June 2013, 11:39 AM
I hear you and your right. Hopefully a shot this week will tell. Four wheel drive should be good. A remap on this to say 260-270 with the 4x4 should be interesting.

I'd stick with the Clubbie! :smilewinkgrin:
Trying to hoon a 270BHP Paceman down a twisty road, 4wd or not, might be entertaining, but I'd reckon the extra bulk would get in the way of proper fun. It ain't going to turn it into a Prodrive WRC-a-like. If you feel the need for (more) 'pace, man', get the JCW down to P-Torque :thumbs up:

Just to add another point, at £37,000, you're well into Evoque territory - maybe not the very top of the range stuff, but pretty interesting nonetheless. Now presumably in this small sector the 'perceived value' and 'status' of the vehicle is almost as important as how they drive, so arguably for folks seriously considering a fashionable 2 Door Crossover Coupe, an Evoque is a better bet at this price?

GreigJCW
3rd June 2013, 03:06 PM
I'd stick with the Clubbie! :smilewinkgrin:
Trying to hoon a 270BHP Paceman down a twisty road, 4wd or not, might be entertaining, but I'd reckon the extra bulk would get in the way of proper fun. It ain't going to turn it into a Prodrive WRC-a-like. If you feel the need for (more) 'pace, man', get the JCW down to P-Torque :thumbs up:

Just to add another point, at £37,000, you're well into Evoque territory - maybe not the very top of the range stuff, but pretty interesting nonetheless. Now presumably in this small sector the 'perceived value' and 'status' of the vehicle is almost as important as how they drive, so arguably for folks seriously considering a fashionable 2 Door Crossover Coupe, an Evoque is a better bet at this price?

Please understand in no way am I thinking of buying one of these. To put you in the picture I had an evoke for a day last year both on and off road. It was a stunning car and I was really impressed. As a lover of all things mini the works paceman for me would win but I know the first time I seen it next to an evoke I would probably wonder had I done the right thing. (For about half a second)

ELFMAN
4th June 2013, 08:30 AM
Please understand in no way am I thinking of buying one of these. To put you in the picture I had an evoke for a day last year both on and off road. It was a stunning car and I was really impressed. As a lover of all things mini the works paceman for me would win but I know the first time I seen it next to an evoke I would probably wonder had I done the right thing. (For about half a second)

:phew: :smilewinkgrin: Not so much the Paceman itself - just the cost of this particular one!

Big Col
4th June 2013, 10:42 AM
Thirty Seven Thousand Pounds?!?!?! :thud:

I think they should take that money and put it towards the care that anyone desperately needs if they'd consider paying that!
:unsure:

Stewart
4th June 2013, 10:49 AM
I think this would be a great machine living out in the sticks come winter with its All4 and a great drive in summer. I think of it as a Cool machine the same as I consider an Aston a cool machine I only have one problem with both cars I cant afford them :smilewinkgrin:. But in truth I’d still buy the Works Hatch or Clubbie as to me they look the Mut’s nuts and are still my no1 choice.

I always get the impression this was designed for the US Aspen folks that take there surf boards to the sea in summer and ski’s to the resort in winter.

ELFMAN
4th June 2013, 12:57 PM
always get the impression this was designed for the US Aspen folks that take there surf boards to the sea in summer and ski’s to the resort in winter.

Only one 'mode' when you're Surfing, Dude! :thumbs up: :cool: I reckon the only 'surfing' most Paceman owners will see is with the aid of Google and not a tasty wave :Whistle:

ianking
4th June 2013, 12:58 PM
This looks absolutely awful in my opinion.

The hatch has always looked great but sadly is becoming too small for my needs. Only mini that I have a hankering for now is a clubbie, preferably in JCW format.

Greig, I would stick with the works clubbie, it looks great.

GreigJCW
4th June 2013, 03:38 PM
Greig, I would stick with the works clubbie, it looks great.

I agree cheers Ian.

zimbo
4th June 2013, 06:31 PM
I agree cheers Ian.

I also agree Greig, your clubbie is a keeper :thumbs up:

Stewart
4th June 2013, 06:56 PM
Only one 'mode' when you're Surfing, Dude! :thumbs up: :cool: I reckon the only 'surfing' most Paceman owners will see is with the aid of Google and not a tasty wave :Whistle:

Been there and done that with the Wind surfing ( and when I say that I mean I fell in a lot, took the huff a lot and said sod this while the at time currant Scottish champion and one of the top European Surfers looked on taking the piss), loved it all the same. Used to love the Camper for the shere fun of it. A few times it nearly did not make it out of Largs going up the bloody big hill going home but hey it was all part of the fun. IF VW ever made a Retro Modern Camper that looked like this well the saying is something somthing hotcakes..... at it would if it kept the looks and faked the sound.

Back to MINI so you guys really feel the difference in size from the Hatch to the Clubbie in the boot?

Craig
4th June 2013, 08:55 PM
Jude is wishing she has bought the clubbie instead of the hatch because of all the stuff she has to carry for her work and the weekly food shop. The boot in the hatch is just too small...

GreigJCW
4th June 2013, 11:11 PM
I also agree Greig, your clubbie is a keeper :thumbs up:

Cheers mate.

GreigJCW
4th June 2013, 11:11 PM
Jude is wishing she has bought the clubbie instead of the hatch because of all the stuff she has to carry for her work and the weekly food shop. The boot in the hatch is just too small...

And cos its way better looking ;)

ELFMAN
5th June 2013, 08:43 AM
And cos its way better looking ;)

Oh really? You are jesting of course but if, as they say, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" - you should've gone to Specsavers! :blink:
I think the Clubbie looks great - and IMO it looks even better these days next to the Countryman and Paceman (ooh, controversial!) - but 'way better looking' than the Hatch? Nah :frown:

Big Col
5th June 2013, 09:11 AM
IMO it looks even better these days next to the Countryman

SOME Countryman's I agree. :p:thumbs up:

GreigJCW
5th June 2013, 09:28 AM
Oh really? You are jesting of course but if, as they say, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" - you should've gone to Specsavers! :blink:
I think the Clubbie looks great - and IMO it looks even better these days next to the Countryman and Paceman (ooh, controversial!) - but 'way better looking' than the Hatch? Nah :frown:

As you say each to their own lol. It's funny as in general the longer it takes for me to like something the better it is and the less likely I am to go off it. Eg a catchy song on the radio I hear and like straight away will be irritating and annoying a few weeks later. An album that takes a while to go into I am listening to 20 yrs later, I digress but you get the drift. With the clubbie I hated it for yrs after it came out. It's only in the last 3 yrs I have started to think that's quiet nice. Last yr when I bought Kim's clubbie I really took to it. I love how it looks and how it differs so much from the hatch. I would however add I think estate versions of alot of cars look better than their hatchback or saloon brothers.

Examples.

A4 avant
BMW 5 and 3 series
Volvos in general

Btw my love for the hatch is still good :)
It's just I fancied something that looked a little different. Stands out a bit more IMO.