PDA

View Full Version : R53 BATTERY TRAY

bullet
9th May 2013, 12:40 AM
have had a look online at what appears to be a common fault with the battery tray filling with water on the R53,Every morning with paper towels i wipe away quite a bit of condensation covering the battery and surrounding area,the carpet covering the battery is bone dry,just wondered if anyone else has had similar issues in the past.:computer:

EcosseGP
9th May 2013, 01:19 AM
It's a common fault and the water tends to come in via the rubber window seal. It's a relatively cheap and easy fix though.

I intend to live forever ... So far so good !

stoney
9th May 2013, 06:48 AM
It's a common fault and the water tends to come in via the rubber window seal. It's a relatively cheap and easy fix though.

This ;) my old R53 did this runs down the back of the panel and in to the boot

Mon the fish
9th May 2013, 08:19 AM
Can come in from the high level brake light too

bullet
9th May 2013, 02:08 PM
it honestly looks like someone has sprayed a fine mist of water over the battery and surrounding area,everything above it,carpet etc is bone dry,may prove difficult to find the exact source

EcosseGP
10th May 2013, 11:31 PM
Simple .. Dry it all off then lift the carpet and put newspaper or a cloth across the boot floor. Have someone pour water over the back window whilst you stay in the back of the car and you'll see where the paper gets wet first and trace it back from there .. Might even be worth taking off the boot panel too while you do it ..

bullet
12th May 2013, 10:27 PM
Simple .. Dry it all off then lift the carpet and put newspaper or a cloth across the boot floor. Have someone pour water over the back window whilst you stay in the back of the car and you'll see where the paper gets wet first and trace it back from there .. Might even be worth taking off the boot panel too while you do it ..

cheers,will give it a try.it doesnt need to rain for water to appear,its more like condensation.bloody annoying all the same.:confused:

bullet
23rd May 2013, 06:44 PM
cheers,will give it a try.it doesnt need to rain for water to appear,its more like condensation.bloody annoying all the same.:confused:

well tonight the back of the mini was soaked for 15 mins,not one drip of water appeared,but every morning when the boot carpet is lifted there is water all over the battery and surrounding area,(doesnt have to rain).as i feared this potentially could be more complicated,its more like condensation,like a fine mist of water. :argh:

bullet
24th May 2013, 12:26 AM
:thud:lol

Gismo
24th May 2013, 04:09 AM
Can you take the battery out and leave it out overnight?
Can you explain the conditions the car is parked in, for example, if it's in a garage then try leaving the windows down slightly

bullet
24th May 2013, 03:58 PM
Can you take the battery out and leave it out overnight?
Can you explain the conditions the car is parked in, for example, if it's in a garage then try leaving the windows down slightly

car is parked out in street,every morning when i go out i lift the carpet in the boot to find water over the battery and surrounding area,if left the battery tray fills with water,am worried for the electrics around the battery,i havent as yet removed the battery though.would love to know where its coming from :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

the mystery deepens,last night i left the carpet in the boot lifted,back seats folded down with the battery and surrounding area fully exposed.....went out to it today with my cloths to dry up the water and there was NONE !!.the whole boot area was bone dry.....hhmmmm,this is a mystery.:confused:

Craig
24th May 2013, 07:25 PM
I have seen this with the third brake light. Sometimes it let's water in other times not. Taking it out and back in sometimes completes the seal again ;)

bullet
25th May 2013, 12:13 AM
its strange,its looking like its the battery area,the foam backing to the carpet that sits above the battery is damp,was still surprised to see it bone dry earlier....the problem is still there though.i wondered if the double sunroof might have been a cause.