PDA

View Full Version : hot smell

bullet
3rd May 2013, 06:30 PM
bit worried about ma wee mini,theres a hot engine smell even after doing say 10 miles,no warning lights,not going through excessive water,temp gauge sits at 90 degrees stays there but the hot smell is unmistakable when you pull up to a stop,i hope im being paranoid but it smells like somethings overheating,fan is coming on regularly.any ideas would be appreciated,thanks:popcorn:

EcosseGP
3rd May 2013, 07:04 PM
I'd check the brakes if all dials are ok .. Might be calliper stuck on ;)

I intend to live forever ... So far so good !

bullet
3rd May 2013, 07:09 PM
I'd check the brakes if all dials are ok .. Might be calliper stuck on ;)

car has just passed its mot with new rear brakes/pads.advisory on front brakes though.will keep an eye on it

EcosseGP
3rd May 2013, 07:10 PM
That's what it could be rear brake calliper then sticking after being wound back for new discs n pads .. Just a thought

bullet
3rd May 2013, 07:35 PM
That's what it could be rear brake calliper then sticking after being wound back for new discs n pads .. Just a thought

possibly,sure smells like its coming from the engine bay,steam coming out of grill when raining

EcosseGP
3rd May 2013, 08:03 PM
If that's the case then doubt it'll be a sticking calliper .. Did you open the bonnet see where the steams coming from ?

bullet
3rd May 2013, 08:19 PM
If that's the case then doubt it'll be a sticking calliper .. Did you open the bonnet see where the steams coming from ?

just noticed the steam tonight when i parked up,(been chucking it down all day here)....will take her for a wee run tomorrow and see if it persists,is it sitting constantly at 90 degrees not too hot or is that average for the r53

EcosseGP
3rd May 2013, 08:21 PM
No that's about right mine sits around that too ..

I'd just start it up with the bonnet up and see if you can see anything .. Check coolant level first

Mon the fish
4th May 2013, 08:38 AM
The stock temp gauge tells you nothing - get a scangauge or similar hooked up, see what the actual temps are