PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know this car?

rabhrab
2nd May 2013, 09:49 PM
:bigwave: I hope to have a look at this car and wondered if it was known to any of you knowledgeable folks?
Any info/advice gratefully received.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-MINI-COOPER-S-SILVER-/271196766955?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f249642eb :popcorn:

Mon the fish
3rd May 2013, 08:10 AM
I would ask what coilovers are fitted, and at that age what de-coke work has been done

Big Col
3rd May 2013, 11:50 AM
Odd how the spoiler looks so different at night...:Whistle:

rabhrab
3rd May 2013, 01:52 PM
:thumbs up:Thanks for that! Yeah, I've said I wouldn't be interested in the Challenge spoiler.... it's not on the car at the mo.
As for the coilovers, you'll have to know that I'm ignorant of their benefits (or otherwise!). He has said he can return it to 'stock' suspension set-up, if preferred. Again, ALL advice and comments on this would be appreciated!

Big question............ does it look value for money? :bye:

EcosseGP
3rd May 2013, 07:09 PM
Coil overs aren't everyone's taste and although they can be adjusted they do give a harsh ride. You'd need to take it out for a drive and decide for yourself. If they're on the car and you're interested ask him to give you the standard suspension too then if you don't like it YOU can change it and sell the coil overs rather than him ;) Unless you want to negotiate a deal on standard suspension on your terms ;)

I intend to live forever ... So far so good !

rabhrab
3rd May 2013, 07:24 PM
Coil overs aren't everyone's taste and although they can be adjusted they do give a harsh ride. You'd need to take it out for a drive and decide for yourself. If they're on the car and you're interested ask him to give you the standard suspension too then if you don't like it YOU can change it and sell the coil overs rather than him ;) Unless you want to negotiate a deal on standard suspension on your terms ;)

Thanks for this. Can I ask, is it difficult to change from coil overs back to standard suspension? :confused: Does it involve stuff like compressing springs? You can tell I know very little about them!:blush:

EcosseGP
3rd May 2013, 08:02 PM
Yeah it will to put them back on plus you'll need shock absorbers too but all going well the seller will have everything you need to return them to standard. Personally if you want the lowered look I'd use standard shocks on lowered spring that way you get the best of both worlds ..

I intend to live forever ... So far so good !

Mon the fish
4th May 2013, 08:37 AM
Depends completely on what coils are fitted, and how they are set up. Coils don't automatically mean that the ride is stiffer - APs give a better ride than stock.

The beauty of coils means they can be adjusted to suit your tastes. But if they're FK's, you'd be better putting cart springs in as your suspension - terrible. So it's worth finding out which coils are fitted.

But at that age and mileage, I'd be seriously concerned about the coke issue. It's expensive to fix

rabhrab
4th May 2013, 12:31 PM
Depends completely on what coils are fitted, and how they are set up. Coils don't automatically mean that the ride is stiffer - APs give a better ride than stock.

The beauty of coils means they can be adjusted to suit your tastes. But if they're FK's, you'd be better putting cart springs in as your suspension - terrible. So it's worth finding out which coils are fitted.

But at that age and mileage, I'd be seriously concerned about the coke issue. It's expensive to fix

Again, thanks for the advice.
The coilovers are indeed AP. The owner says that the car has been run (by him) on V Power/ Momentum and does not suffer from sticky valves.
It's also had the Timing Chain 'fix' and the Waterpump/Circuitboard recall done. Anything else I should know?:thumbs up:

Mon the fish
4th May 2013, 04:15 PM
It's a DI engine - fuel or fuel additives make no difference to the coke issue. If you look at it, make sure you take a Scangauge or similar and check it for codes. If it's sluggish to accelerate or hesitates under acceleration, this is a sign of coke build-up, which is a head off job to fix