PDA

View Full Version : Moblie phone useage

norbu
23rd April 2013, 12:14 PM
Just wondering what system all you guys & gals use in your car. The car is a Mini Cooper S (R56)

I've tried to see if a Samsung Galaxy Ace can be used in the "snap in adaptor" for the arm rest. According to the BMW site More information on which snap-in adapters are compatible with your vehicle and the range of functions available for your mobile phone are available on request
BUT
there's nowhere on the site to do this
AND
the dealer's pretty clueless
AND
a search on the net & various Mini sites has brought up zilch!!

So anyone any great ideas or tips other than leave the phone lying on the passenger seat.:frown:

Gismo
23rd April 2013, 02:10 PM
I use an iPhone and simply leave it in the cup holder, mikeythemini has various mounts for phones

rpn
23rd April 2013, 02:56 PM
My iPhone is connected to my MCS via BT and use the MF steering wheel to control the calls etc!

Gismo
23rd April 2013, 02:59 PM
To follow Stan's advice, my iPhone connects faultlessly through the bluetooth feature and is controlled via the steering wheel controls, i can access the contacts and see them on the radio screen

EcosseGP
23rd April 2013, 03:10 PM
I'm considering putting in one of these

http://www.gromaudio.com/ipod.html

I'd not heard of them before a few days ago but reading some of the reviews they appear pretty handy all round .. USB, iPod/iPhone plus bluetooth capability via the car speakers even when your car stereo is turned off !! You just need to purchase the correct cable depending on which phone you have it would appear ..

Worth a look depending on how much you fancy spending ..

I intend to live forever ... So far so good !

Craig
23rd April 2013, 03:45 PM
I have a parrot mini kit smart. It's only for occasional use in the GP and I got it for only £49 online ;)

EcosseGP
23rd April 2013, 04:25 PM
How good is it Craig ? Mine would only be for occasional use too that's why I'm reluctant to go down the i9200 route

Craig
23rd April 2013, 05:27 PM
How good is it Craig ? Mine would only be for occasional use too that's why I'm reluctant to go down the i9200 route

Tbh Davy not used it yet in the car. Tested it in the house and it was easy to use and clear (at both ends). Prob use it on Sunday ;)

MINIme:)
23rd April 2013, 10:32 PM
I just use the bluetooth and leave the phone in me bag or in the cupholder. Don't seem to get a full signal with the new phone (s3 mini) compared to faultless full signal with the old nokia thing. which is annoying, but only used it once so far, while parked anyway. Extremely rare that I take or make calls while driving as I know it affects my road awareness.

reminds me I was gonna hunt down tapatalk....:badcomp:whatever that is ;) :angel:

Robbo
24th April 2013, 12:13 AM
Phone(s) rings, I answer.. Sorry if that offends or annoys anyone, but such is life.

Big Col
24th April 2013, 06:34 AM
Phone(s) rings, I answer.. Sorry if that offends or annoys anyone, but such is life.

If you're saying you pick up the handset to answer when driving then that doesn't offend or annoy in any way mate. It's always good to be able to get an idea of the kind of people that are behind the pixels so it's good of you to say.

d.oxley72
24th April 2013, 08:34 AM
I know that my attention declines if I am having a conversation with a passenger when I am driving. So, for me the idea of talking to a disembodied voice is even worse.

Here's an interesting study to read on your mobile as you drive to work.
http://www.nsc.org/safety_road/Distracted_Driving/Documents/Cognitive%20Distraction%20White%20Paper.pdf

Robbo
24th April 2013, 11:09 AM
If you're saying you pick up the handset to answer when driving then that doesn't offend or annoy in any way mate. It's always good to be able to get an idea of the kind of people that are behind the pixels so it's good of you to say.

I'm an honest person, I had Bluetooth in the Astra VXR and the Focus ST3 I had before my current Works, tho in the 06 Works I had, it didn't have any phone connectivity either..

mikeythemini
24th April 2013, 08:50 PM
Just wondering what system all you guys & gals use in your car. The car is a Mini Cooper S (R56)

I've tried to see if a Samsung Galaxy Ace can be used in the "snap in adaptor" for the arm rest. According to the BMW site More information on which snap-in adapters are compatible with your vehicle and the range of functions available for your mobile phone are available on request
BUT
there's nowhere on the site to do this
AND
the dealer's pretty clueless
AND
a search on the net & various Mini sites has brought up zilch!!

So anyone any great ideas or tips other than leave the phone lying on the passenger seat.:frown:
So has your car got factory bluetooth? MFSW?

norbu
24th April 2013, 09:07 PM
Full Bluetooth with USB . MFSW ??...Wot dat?

mikeythemini
24th April 2013, 09:43 PM
so its just somewhere to stick it?
cup holder
or if you want to be able to see the display (nav apps etc) then we have no holes mounts for the r56 & can supply a cradle (optional charging) for your phone

MINIme:)
24th April 2013, 10:44 PM
Full Bluetooth with USB . MFSW ??...Wot dat?

multi function steering wheel. I think. I don't have it!

norbu
24th April 2013, 10:50 PM
so its just somewhere to stick it ]......No I can get any number of holders for the phone.

if you want to be able to see the display (nav apps etc) then we have no holes mounts for the r56 & can supply a cradle (optional charging) for your phone....By a cradle do you mean just a holder with a charger or specifically the adaptor for the arm rest. If it's just a holder with a charger then that's not what I'm looking for I'm afraid. Any pics of what's available.

As an aside don't you just love BMW Mini customer care once you've divied up your large amount of cash. Haven't been impressed so far.:argh:

- - - Updated - - -

If it's the multi function steering wheel then YES have got.:cool:

Gismo
25th April 2013, 02:38 PM
If it's just a holder with a charger then that's not what I'm looking for I'm afraid. Any pics of what's available
If it's the multi function steering wheel then YES have got.:cool:Not sure what you are wanting :idunno:
Here is a link to mikeythemini's business New Mini Stuff (http://www.newministuff.com/new/index.php)

norbu
25th April 2013, 07:06 PM
Yeh I've had a look at that site but without much further information I've really no idea exactly what will fit.
1) The car has full bluetooth & USB
2) The car has a multi function steering wheel
3) The car has the BMW Mini arm rest
4) The phone is a Samsung Galaxy Ace

I'd prefer the proper BMW Mini cradle that fits in the armrest but neither the BMW Mini site nor the dealers are of any use in telling me if BMW make such a cradle.:ragin:

SWMBO tells me that there's NO WAY that the stereo is getting removed so any of mikeys stuff would have to fit without that removal.

Most of Mikeys stuff appears to supply Bluetooth which is already in the car.

Now our other car a Skoda is a delight in the phone department but the Mini is a nightmare by comparison.:argh:

Does anyone have a car with similar spec where you use your mobile (Sorry but not an iPhone) & how have you done it & with what result.

Angib
25th April 2013, 07:47 PM
Does anyone have a car with similar spec where you use your mobile (Sorry but not an iPhone) & how have you done it & with what result.
My Nokia never comes out of my pocket and it bluetooths quite happily from there for calls, contacts, etc.

The only glitches so far are:
- the contacts bit of visual boost only picks up numbers stored in 'mobile' category in the phone and won't display them if stored under 'telephone' or 'land' etc;
- battery needs to be reasonably well-charged or the phone doesn't make bluetooth connection - less than three bars out of six means no bluetooth.

Gismo
25th April 2013, 07:59 PM
Ive never heard of or seen a dedicated cradle for a mini.
Seen and owned one in a BMW

norbu
25th April 2013, 09:10 PM
Choice of three on the BMW Mini site: E.g.
Phone-specific snap-in adapters are available for the mobile phone preparation with Bluetooth interface. These hold Apple, Nokia and various mobile phones securely, provide a wireless connection to the vehicle's external aerial, and charge the phone's battery. Depending on the model of your phone, and the production year and the equipment options selected for your MINI, your vehicle can offer access to a whole range of mobile phone functions. More information on which snap-in adapters are compatible with your vehicle and the range of functions available for your mobile phone are available on request.

The last sentence appears to be a BMW joke.:argh:

- - - Updated - - -

Ta Angib