PDA

View Full Version : Detailing day

zimbo
15th April 2013, 10:27 AM
Well the little bald one and I decided our cars the two black beauties were now long over due a good detailing session to get rid of those bad winter memories and crap that accumulates onto the cars with road salt, tar etc etc, so a plan was hatched up and this past Saturday 13th was chosen as 'D' day (Detailing day, see what I did there :lol:).

So got to baldies house about 10:30, got all the required items and products required for the day ready to use then by 10:45 we were under way with the job, and it went something like this:

1 - Get buckets filled up and ready to go.

2 - Hose down the cars to wash off the surface stuff, then get to washing the cars from TOP to BOTTOM in that order :thumbs up:

3 - Hose down the cars and remove the soap.

4 - Dry the cars with microfibre towels (they do an excellent job)

5 - Now claybar the car with a brand new section of the bar (white in colour) and do the whole car a panel at a time, a long and tiring
process but the results are amazing and so worth the effort. The once white bar is now a yucky brown almost black colour :yuk:.

6 - Now refill the buckets with our chosen soaps AGAIN. (We each had our own different products)

7 - Hose down the cars once again

8 - Wash the cars once again so they're looking spotlessly clean.

9 - Dry the cars AGAIN!! :lol:

10- Now we put polish on our cars (once again using different products) and remove it once its set, a panel at a time. Will be trying
baldies product next time because it doesn't leave a dandruff looking residue when removing like my autoglym stuff did :rolleyes:

11- Now at long last it was time to put a coat of wax on and off(once dried) a panel at a time.

12- Finally 7 hours 45 mins after we started both cars are finished and looking AMAZING even if I do say so myself :smilewinkgrin:

Before we started:

During the session:

And afterwards:

Well it was an extremely long day and were both pretty knackered and feeling sore (especially my right shoulder) but it was totally worth it and now wont need to be done again for a little while :thumbs up:

Hope you guys and gals like my little write up of our day and hopefully it'll encourage some of you guys to do the same, except for possibly Alan :hand:

Burple
15th April 2013, 11:24 AM
A wee update from me too...
If you have a black (or dark coloured) car, I have to recommend some PoorBoys Black Hole as a glaze! After the claying, I used it on pretty much the whole car, then some Collinite 476 on top. Both go on really easily, and come off the same way. Like the big fud says, the Black hole leaves very little residue, and smells like grape! Bonus! :D

Couple of pics...
Using the Black Hole, Before:

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4175&d=1366020807

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4173&d=1366020797

(camera didn;t want to focus on the reflection! :rolleyes:;) Probably just as well, given the ugly mug in there :D)

And after some Black Hole:
http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4176&d=1366020813

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4174&d=1366020801

Think that speaks for itself!
Short of using a machine polisher, I think we did a no-bad job! :thumbs up:

Couple more shiny shots..
http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4178&d=1366020842

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4179&d=1366020859

and one with the latest wee mod ;)

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4177&d=1366020827

Oops.. missed one!:blush:

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4180&d=1366031222

Craig
15th April 2013, 01:18 PM
Great write up guys. Need to show my cars some love soon, it's been tooooo long ;)

weefossy
15th April 2013, 01:24 PM
Great job, love the wheels Ali :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
15th April 2013, 01:33 PM
Good Work lads! :cool: :thumbs up:
I'm feeling slightly guilty of neglect now... :frown:

lamdacore
15th April 2013, 02:22 PM
nice job!

(where did you get the dark rings for your front and rear light surrounds? )

zimbo
15th April 2013, 03:53 PM
nice job!

(where did you get the dark rings for your front and rear light surrounds? )

Got my light rings from my mini dealer in September just before the prices went up, phew...:Whistle:

gauldrymini
15th April 2013, 04:39 PM
Nice job fellas:thumbs up:

Stewart
15th April 2013, 05:12 PM
Just what I needed to see and push me to do the car when I can. With the HT run coming up fast my car is a mess. Although I did promise I was not going to touch it till after it got serviced there.

Hats off, a friend got me the all in one Meg’s Clay kit and as the car is that wee bit older now I’m going to give it a try. Did you have to de Tar the cars as well? I have that as well plus the Iron X for the wheels that will add a bit of time.

The weather has been so rubbish and showery or just too dam cold so respect for getting that done both of you, the cars look great.

Gismo
15th April 2013, 05:28 PM
:lol: Alan has that countryman of yours ever seen a bucket and sponge or even water for that matter and I dont mean rain either... :smilewinkgrin:My daughter washed it with the 1 bucket method and sponge :lol:

MINIme:)
16th April 2013, 11:16 PM
very nice, the black hole is brilliant. I'd like someone trustworthy to do a wax / polish etc on my car as it hasn't been done for over a year. If anyone would like to help (I will pay you), is very careful and extremely trustworthy then PM me and let me know what you'd charge! :thumbs up:

ianking
17th April 2013, 11:36 AM
very nice, the black hole is brilliant. I'd like someone trustworthy to do a wax / polish etc on my car as it hasn't been done for over a year. If anyone would like to help (I will pay you), is very careful and extremely trustworthy then PM me and let me know what you'd charge! :thumbs up:

I could do it if you want but Im booked up until the start of june.
Price all is very much dependant on what you want done.

zimbo
17th April 2013, 12:37 PM
Hey baldie, I see the king of shine hasn't even commented on how good or bad a job we did on our cars :rolleyes:

If I ever manage to save enough pennies I would like to try get myself a power washer and gubbins to go with it, might have to have a detailing session with MrD to have a look see how good/bad those thingymabobs really are first tho :yes nod:

ianking
17th April 2013, 12:59 PM
Hey baldie, I see the king of shine hasn't even commented on how good or bad a job we did on our cars

sorry fella, was just about to.
Great job.

Craig
17th April 2013, 01:49 PM
Ali/Joanna. Happy to help out when I can but I'm insanely busy at work and fit for lying on the couch when I'm not at the moment.

Maybe some time in MayJune ?

jonnie
17th April 2013, 08:23 PM
Hi all, have to say the cars look BRILLIANT. I don't want to sound stupid( probably will) but i'm not sure i understand this claybar talk, so a few questions. Do i need one? Which one? How do I use it? Any advice would be much appreciated.

AndyP & Lenore
17th April 2013, 10:09 PM
Great job Fud and Baldy. Looking very nice and shiny.

Just out of interest, while you're washing away, is that how you refer to each other... "Fud" and "Baldy"?

Like...

"Hey Fud, pass me the bucket."
"Here ya go Baldy.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

17th April 2013, 11:59 PM
I could do it if you want but Im booked up until the start of june.
Price all is very much dependant on what you want done.

Thanks Ian, nothing major to be honest, I do numerous daily motorway miles and the car gets trashed with mucky spray so am not into hyper clean and shiny all the time, it's just not feasible for me to keep on top of! Am just after a basic de-tar / wax / seal / polish to keep things beading for a while.

zimbo
18th April 2013, 09:01 AM
Just out of interest, while you're washing away, is that how you refer to each other... "Fud" and "Baldy"?

Like...

"Here ya go Baldy.

Maybe... :Whistle: oh and your the fud :lol:

Burple
18th April 2013, 09:40 AM
Great job Fud and Baldy. Looking very nice and shiny.

Like...

"Here ya go Baldy.

Heh heh heh... you've not heard the half of it! there's usually a few 'Bawbag's thrown in there for good measure too :p:laugh::laugh:

Big Col
18th April 2013, 09:50 AM
I'd just like to say I am shocked and appalled by the bullying I am witnessing in this thread!

Burple
18th April 2013, 12:10 PM
I'd just like to say I am shocked and appalled by the bullying I am witnessing in this thread!

It's a daily battle.. I try to carry on through the tears. It's difficult being the easy target, but I struggle by..

GERRITUPYESE! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh:

ELFMAN
18th April 2013, 01:48 PM
i'm not sure i understand this claybar talk, so a few questions. Do i need one? Which one? How do I use it? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, the popular Beat Combo "Electric Six" had a song in the Hit Parade some time ago on this very topic...

ELECTRIC SIX
"CLAY BAR"

You!
I wanna take you to a clay bar,
I wanna take you to a clay bar, clay bar, clay bar.

Let's start a war, start a nuclear war,
With a clay bar, clay bar, clay bar..
Wow! (Shout out loud)
With a clay bar.

Now tell me do ya, a do ya have any money?
I wanna spend all your money,
On a clay bar, clay bar, clay bar.

[Pause]

I've got something to put in you,
It's a clay bar, clay bar, clay bar.
Wow! (Shout out loud)

You're a superstar, with your clay bar.
Yeah! you're a superstar, with your clay bar.
Superstar.
Super, super, superstar

Not suggesting the post-Detailing party was anything like this though... :smilewinkgrin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xs8YKKZXz0

Burple
18th April 2013, 02:32 PM
Hi all, have to say the cars look BRILLIANT. I don't want to sound stupid( probably will) but i'm not sure i understand this claybar talk, so a few questions. Do i need one? Which one? How do I use it? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hmm... Ok.. an answer from a very amateur point of view..

If you've thinking about keeping your car 's paint in better than average condition, a clay bar can be a good buy..
as far as any detailing goes, using a clay bar is about as far as i've gone, for example I don't have a polisher.

If you want to wax your car, you should ideally have the paint in the best possible condition first. To this end, the clay bar will take off a load of contaminants on the surface. You can also use other stuff such as tar remover etc, and paint priming products if you really want to get into it.
To be honest I didn't have a few days to do the car, I wanted to do it all in one day, and get the best results i could with what I would consider easy to use products. so.. Claybar, Black hole Glaze (cos it's a black car - You could substitute in here a good quality polish) and Wax..

To use the clay bar, wash the car first, and dry it off. spray on some Quick detailer spray (or any solution of soapy water - *NOT* Fairy liquid) to give the clay some lubrication. You can get away with doing one panel at a time gently rubbing the clay bar over the surface of the paint to remove contaminants. Remember to keep turning and folding the clay bar after each panel, so you always have a clean bit of clay in contact with the paint. When you're done, the paintwork should feel very very smooth to the touch.. and remember to wash the car again after claying to get rid of any clay residue. No you have to build up the protection on your paint - Polish / Wax etc.. There's lots of videos and tutorials online and on Youtube about this subject too...

As for the Clay itself, there's loads out there to try, I've really only ever used the Meguiars one, so can't comment on any others.. tho there are a lot, from 'mild' to 'aggressive' - I guess some will pick up more contaminants, but be rougher on your paint..

That's about it as far as I use it, there are lots of products out there, and plenty of people who detail cars professionally to a much higher standard - a few of them live round these here forums - who might be able to give a better answer than me :D

Hope that's of some help...

ELFMAN
18th April 2013, 03:28 PM
That was very sensible, other E :yes nod:
YOU OK? :idunno: :thud:

Burple
18th April 2013, 05:12 PM
That was very sensible, other E :yes nod:
YOU OK? :idunno: :thud:

Haha... sorry Head was in work mode - between meetings :D

In my head.. the post-detailing party was *JUST* like that.. They laydeez were all fainting at the sight of my 'dirty clay bar' ;)

18th April 2013, 06:05 PM
Unless I'm very much mistaken, the popular Beat Combo "Electric Six" had a song in the Hit Parade some time ago on this very topic...

ELECTRIC SIX
"CLAY BAR"

You!
I wanna take you to a clay bar, clay bar, clay bar......
etc

:blink: :unsure:

:explode:

Crombers
18th April 2013, 06:41 PM

:smilewinkgrin: .......... likewise :rolleyes: beyond the boundaries

gauldrymini
18th April 2013, 08:57 PM
:smilewinkgrin: .......... likewise :rolleyes: beyond the boundaries

Offenders reported for cybercrimes:Whistle:

ELFMAN
18th April 2013, 11:13 PM
:blink: :unsure:

:explode:

You gotta take a walk on the Wild Side Jo! :smilewinkgrin: :drool:

jonnie
21st April 2013, 10:25 PM
Burple thanks for the advice, gonna give it a try next time I get a day to myself. :thumbup::D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2