PDA

View Full Version : "JCW/GP ONLY" Section

ELFMAN
12th April 2013, 03:04 PM
I know I'm a bit slow, but I've just noticed there's a special "Just for You" section for certain MINIs!

Hmmm... not sure, but aren't we an "All for One and One for All" type of setup? The great thing about NMS is that no matter what type of MINI you own, you're on an equal footing. I have loads of JCW bits (arguably as many if not more than some 'Factory' JCW's :smilewinkgrin:) and other mods, but my car is still 'just' a COOPER S, so therefore I'm sort of 'excluded'.

I must make it very clear that this isn't a criticism of any of my GP and JCW chums - who all know I have great respect and affection for them and their cars - and I certainly don't think it signals the imminent demise of NMS, but as an egalitarianist, I find creating elite (?) 'Sub-Sections' not totally in keeping with the NMS philosophy of Togetherness we all know and love.

stoney
12th April 2013, 03:09 PM
Elf I asked for it to be set up due to the guy on the gp site saying he was going to close it down so Alan kindly let us camp out here till we could sort other things out so it was almost like a mini GP forum within NMS

john
12th April 2013, 03:11 PM
I'm with the Elf :thumbs up::smilewinkgrin:

Gismo
12th April 2013, 03:52 PM
I gave the UK GP owners somewhere new to go since their other home was threatened with closure.

So far the GP guys have significantly increased traffic through the site

Gismo
12th April 2013, 03:58 PM
If you read the announcement posted in every forum it clearly mentions that anyone can post in the GP section

Tam1314
12th April 2013, 04:40 PM
I for one have enjoyed reading it and my next mini might well be a works so it interests me.

Gismo
12th April 2013, 04:50 PM
[B]I certainly don't think it signals the imminent demise of NMS, but as an egalitarianist, I find creating elite (?) 'Sub-Sections' not totally in keeping with the NMS philosophy of Togetherness we all know and love.There is no elite section whatsoever and I've no idea what that big word means :lol:

ELFMAN
12th April 2013, 05:27 PM
I wasn't trying to create divisions (my thread was intended as a wee 'nudge' to avoid that very thing happening!) so while I appreciate John's and Ali's 'agreement', I don't want it to become "I'm with one side or the other". As far as I'm concerned, we're ALL on the same side :thumbs up: :arms: That was my point!

Having spoken to Rob in the past about the the GP site, I understand about the possibility of it closing. Obviously I welcome the GP guys and girls (as I have done on 'Introduce Yourself'), and love the cars. I don't have a 'problem' as such with the JCW/GP section, but just wanted to express a point of view of a 'non GP/JCW' NMS member, which might not be immediately apparent if you own a GP or a JCW.

Tam, if you're interested in finding out more about the Works, why not just ask - there are plenty of JCW folks who would give you excellent 'inside info' and advice, without the need for a 'dedicated' section for that purpose.

- - - Updated - - -

I've no idea what that big word means :lol: If you read the announcement posted in every forum it clearly mentions that anyone can post in the GP section

You should know what that 'big word' means Alan, you being in the States and all - it means "Friend of The Eagles"! :usaflag:
Good to know I don't need a Guest Pass to get into the section though! :smilewinkgrin: I must have been off sick that day and missed that particular bit of info :hand:

- - - Updated - - -

So far the GP guys have significantly increased traffic through the site

That's excellent Alan, but doesn't that prove that GP owners are generally more enthusiastic about their cars and therefore that positive enthusiasm might 'catch on' and spread throughout NMS if it was 'dispersed' rather than concentrated in its own area? Shouldn't it be used as a 'catalyst' rather than being 'quarantined' in a separate section?
Just a thought... :idunno:

Gismo
12th April 2013, 05:29 PM
The forum does not mention ONLY GP or JCW, the forum is open to everyone and anyone can and should post in there, i will not be creating a TM site where each model variant has it's own thread.

ELFMAN
12th April 2013, 07:15 PM
The forum does not mention ONLY GP or JCW, the forum is open to everyone and anyone can and should post in there, i will not be creating a TM site where each model variant has it's own thread.

Sorry Alan, I'm confused now. :scratch: I read the heading "Own a JCW or a GP then this area is just for you", which led me to think it was indeed a forum "just for them" - hence my thread.

Now, if as Stoney said, the area was set up on his request to help the GP guys in their hour of need, then that's an admirable thing to do, and it has my full support. BUT, if it's for non-GP JCW's as well, then isn't it just as you've described in the TM example? If there's a section for GPs and JCWs, why not a COOPER, a ONE, an S etc etc etc section? I don't mean to be a pain in the @rse, but it's either there to help out the GPs, or it's indeed a separate forum, (albeit open to everyone) for the factory-built high performance MINIs.

There's also now the fact that you have to check TWO forums to find out what's what - I have enough trouble keeping up with ONE!

Gismo
12th April 2013, 08:01 PM
The GP section is there to help the GP owners out

You don't have to check 2 forums, simply click on new posts to see what's been posted since you're last visit

ELFMAN
12th April 2013, 08:17 PM
The GP section is there to help the GP owners out

OK, it's there to help the GPs, that's great, as I said. But why the "JCW or a GP" heading then? Are the JCW owners in a pickle too?

Gismo
12th April 2013, 08:44 PM
OK, it's there to help the GPs, that's great, as I said. But why the "JCW or a GP" heading then? Are the JCW owners in a pickle too?Cause a GP is a JCW

Gismo
12th April 2013, 09:03 PM
Ok folks it looks like I've caused a lot of uncertainty in the forums

I was trying to help the UK GP Owners out by offering them an area within NMS and it may seem like I've separated the main function of NMS which is to have no separation of the mini marque

By bringing them inboard it has increased the membership nicely so we both benefit

So, have I got it wrong?
Should I remove the new sections and integrate them back into the usual forums?

Obviously I don't want to lose the new members etc

weefossy
12th April 2013, 09:43 PM
Alan, if it's a temporary home for the GP guys, it's not a problem. But I'm worried that if it's long term, it will bring about a "them and us" senario. By the way, I'm organising a "WC50 East Coast Run".........but I'm the only one invited. :rolleyes:

Gismo
12th April 2013, 10:16 PM
Alan, if it's a temporary home for the GP guys, it's not a problem. But I'm worried that if it's long term, it will bring about a "them and us" senario. By the way, I'm organising a "WC50 East Coast Run".........but I'm the only one invited. :rolleyes:I'm hoping that it will be long term, so, Stoney, what are you and your GP friends thinking?
Would you be happy to be integrated into the main NMS forums?

steveM
12th April 2013, 10:29 PM
I'm happy. I'm a friendly person and like To share my pride and joy

Neil - TXJ
12th April 2013, 10:30 PM
Personally I read all new threads so not sure what difference it makes.

steveM
12th April 2013, 10:36 PM
Having the GP area made it easier for me find and drop the info in about it. I search through the rest of the forum too 😃

stoney
13th April 2013, 12:13 AM
It's fine to put them in to one Alan hope fully the new guys and girls that have come on and registers will stick around Sure they will :D

stoney
13th April 2013, 12:13 AM
Sorry late reply left phone at home

Gismo
13th April 2013, 12:16 AM
Ok good, I'll move the threads tomorrow :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
13th April 2013, 01:03 AM
Look guys, I'm sorry if I've caused a f*** up here :frown:

I appreciate what Alan was trying to do for the GP folks, and I don't want to be seen as a 'party-pooper'. I'm really pleased to see the new GP members, and if it helps in the short term for them to have a dedicated 'space' on NMS during a transitional period, then that's fine by me.

What I'd REALLY like to see is the new GP people as proper 'integrated' long-term NMS members, and not just 'lodgers' (albeit welcome ones) until they sort out their website and maybe leave us again. We need enthusiastic, knowledgable and friendly people (with great motors!) in NMS, and variety is the spice of life, so let's get our acts together! :thumbs up:

- - - Updated - - -

Cause a GP is a JCW

Tecnically yes, but you really should've put 'JCW GP', and not JCW OR GP, as most folks would consider the JCW and the GP to be two different MINIs, so it looked as if the dedicated forum was for BOTH the JCW and the GP. I know it's pedantic, but the different phrasing led me to initially believe that it was for both, which looked as if we were separating the 'higher performance' cars from the rest of the 'herd', which is why I started the thread in he first place.

Let's just put it down to a misunderstanding caused by slightly misleading wording, and leave it at that.

MINIme:)
13th April 2013, 02:28 AM
I'm organising a "WC50 East Coast Run".........but I'm the only one invited. :rolleyes:

:lol: or you could go out on a Beast Hunt and see if you can snare that other one in North Berwick :thumbs up:

you really should've put 'JCW GP', and not JCW OR GP, ...it looked as if the dedicated forum was for BOTH the JCW and the GP... which looked as if we were separating the 'higher performance' cars from the rest of the 'herd'...

As Alan knows (cos I told him) I misunderstood this in exactly the same way. A GP is a JCW but a JCW isn't generally a GP. And I took the forum title literally, which I shouldn't have. But once I understood it was the GP club ( HELLO LOVELY GP PEOPLE! :bigwave: ) it took on a different meaning and didn't annoy me any more!
I am liking our new GP people and don't mind which seats they sit in :welcome: :arms:

(likewise with Neil, I don't usually know where I am, I just hit new posts :computer: )

Gismo
13th April 2013, 05:25 AM
All GP threads integrated into the main NMS forums, hopefully the GP Owners will understand the NMS family way :thumbs up:

stoney
13th April 2013, 06:39 AM
All GP threads integrated into the main NMS forums, hopefully the GP Owners will understand the NMS family way :thumbs up:

we will be fine we :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
13th April 2013, 04:20 PM
:clap: :arms: :welcome::arms: :clap:
Sorry if I've inadvertently caused some problems, but isn't it better to be friends by the fire than guests in the lobby?
My intentions were honourable! Thanks Alan and Stoney for not calling me a tw*t (out loud :smilewinkgrin:)

- - - Updated - - -

hopefully the GP Owners will understand the NMS family way :thumbs up:

If and when they do, can they pass the secret on to me? :confused:
And as for the getting you into the 'Family Way', we are VERY friendly... :yes nod: but probably not THAT friendly :phew:

Mon the fish
13th April 2013, 06:14 PM
Can we not have a 'models that are all the same colour' section? :p

A bit like a Subaru forum, where I assume there is a 'blue with gold wheels' section, and one for everyone else?

Stewart
13th April 2013, 06:40 PM
Next we will be having only Cooper to Works runs as we dont want GP badges!!!!!:smilewinkgrin:

As said in a class movie line! " We dont need no stinking Badges!" In response to membership badges!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_5XvBYfxU_dM/TKz5Z6-65JI/AAAAAAAAOJk/rmkoOCXR44E/Blazing%20Saddles,%20No%20Stinking%20Badges%20scen e%5B19%5D.png?imgmax=800
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Po-oP5kCmXU/UNCcD1HzCnI/AAAAAAAAAh4/fqcQmerR8lc/s1600/badges-we-don-t-need-no-stinking-badges-t-shirt-vintage-t-shirt-review-cotton-factory-cotton-factory-2_gif.jpeg

MINIme:)
14th April 2013, 03:16 PM
Can we not have a 'models that are all the same colour' section? :p

A bit like a Subaru forum, where I assume there is a 'blue with gold wheels' section, and one for everyone else?

woo I get a 'Special Club' :whoohoo:

d.oxley72
14th April 2013, 03:55 PM
Unless there any 1.4 ONEs out there, I'm in my own special club too. :)

No disrespect to other MINI variants out in NMS land.

john
14th April 2013, 05:16 PM
:smilewinkgrin:I don't have a problem with it other than I don't have one, I was just having a laugh.

ELFMAN
14th April 2013, 09:01 PM
woo I get a 'Special Club' :whoohoo:

Careful Jo, that's exactly what the baby seal thought... :frown:
Anyway, as we all know, William is the only one who's 'Special' :smilewinkgrin: and now he has a GP, he's 'Extra Special'! :thumbs up:

Craig
14th April 2013, 11:32 PM
Careful Jo, that's exactly what the baby seal thought... :frown:
Anyway, as we all know, William is the only one who's 'Special' :smilewinkgrin: and now he has a GP, he's 'Extra Special'! :thumbs up:

:thumbs up: ha ha

Big Col
16th April 2013, 11:01 AM
There is no elite section whatsoever and I've no idea what that big word means :lol:

Were I to be pedantic I would say that the big word (assuming you mean egalitarianist) doesn't actually exist as you would be an egalitarian not an egalitarianist, but we all know I'm not like that...:Whistle:

ELFMAN
16th April 2013, 02:37 PM
Were I to be pedantic I would say that the big word (assuming you mean egalitarianist) doesn't actually exist as you would be an egalitarian not an egalitarianist, but we all know I'm not like that...:Whistle:

:off topic: Sorry I didn't have a dictionary to hand when I posted... :frown: If I'd known it was an exam I'd have proof-read my submission...

In the true sense of egalitarianISM, I presume you'll be correcting everyone's grammar and spelling on NMS from now on Professor Pedant? :idea:
Maybe you should start a new educational thread specifically for 'gramatically undernourished' members of NMS like me - it can be your legacy to society... after you've gone :smilewinkgrin:

Big Col
17th April 2013, 06:59 AM
Note to self : Buy bigger boat.

ELFMAN
17th April 2013, 08:33 AM
Note to self : Buy bigger boat.

Good idea, Chum... :thumbs up:

Big Col
17th April 2013, 10:27 AM
:thumbs up::D

ELFMAN
17th April 2013, 10:44 AM
4185 :smilewinkgrin:
Don't worry Col it's only a KYLIE MINNOW!!!