PDA

View Full Version : JOHN COOPER WORKS

sleepyrascal
16th August 2004, 10:07 PM
I was having a look at the John Cooper site. :p

Has anyone got a John Cooper Works mini cooper (not S)? Was it worth it? How much was it?

Duncan Stewart
17th August 2004, 12:02 AM
Most reviews say it's not worth it, one mag actually thought it was slower than standard :(. Never tried one myself.

Willie M
17th August 2004, 03:51 PM
The Works kit for the Cooper has never had a good write up, as Duncan says. I remember meeting a guy a year or so ago who felt it was one of the poorest conversions he had ever driven, totally gutless and actually slower than the standard car.

Given that this chap had competed in motorsport for 20+ years, and was a fully qualified mechanic to trade, I was fairly sure he knew what he was talking about.

Best thing would be to try and get a drive in one and make your own mind up from there sleepy :cool:

euan
17th August 2004, 05:41 PM
I looked into it, and for the money I decided a standard S was a better bet. I think there are other conversions out there for the cooper that may be better (more power, less cash) but I have no idea what they are like.

sleepyrascal
17th August 2004, 05:54 PM
The reason for swaying towards a John Cooper Works conversion was that you retain all waranty etc, and it is carried out by BMW effectively. Although your probably right. An S is the way to go!

Nick
19th August 2004, 05:46 PM
quote:[i] one mag actually thought it was slower than standard :(.

You having a laugh???!? Difference between a standard 'S' and a 'Works S' is night and day! Very noticeable increase in power and torque in all gears...

MartinSullivan
19th August 2004, 05:48 PM
Nick, the works kit for the S is fantastic - but the Cooper conversion has never received favourable comments

Nick
19th August 2004, 05:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

Nick, the works kit for the S is fantastic - but the Cooper conversion has never received favourable comments

Ok you got me,,,,,,,,,,,,thats what you call not reading threads correctly!:D

X30YES
19th August 2004, 05:59 PM
Did think about adding the JCW upgrade to my Cooper as it only has 6000 miles to date and would still be like new ....at the end of the day I decided that the CS was a better buy to be honest, after reading that it was not worth the added cost of insurance and fitting etc for not that much of a power and torque difference.

john
20th August 2004, 03:08 AM
I drove a works Cooper when they first came out because John Clarks thought I would go for it so when my car was being serviced they gave me the works demo.

I tanned the **** off of it and took it back,I am sure my own car was quicker.

NOT WORTH THE CASH!!

X30YES
20th August 2004, 03:12 AM
Well it would be :D:D:D..it gets driven :p
quote:Originally posted by john

I drove a works Cooper when they first came out because John Clarks thought I would go for it so when my car was being serviced they gave me the works demo.

I tanned the **** off of it and took it back,I am sure my own car was quicker.

NOT WORTH THE CASH!!