PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else completely done with the weather in this country?

G17RDY
19th March 2013, 07:59 PM
Arrgh, thats it i am completely fed up with this *%^"()Y& Weather!!!

Normally, it doesn't get to me, i just get on with it, but god damn, if i am not sick with it right now.

I'm seriously thinking on jacking this country and following a long standing dream of moving somewhere with a warmer climate (yes i do realise, same problems, but i can deal with my same problems better if i wasn't cold and damp all of the time!!)

Two questions, who else is fed up, and how do i leave this cold pimple on the arse of the world! (serious question, does anyone have any immigration advice?)

Gismo
19th March 2013, 08:14 PM
Oh boy, where to start, one of the reasons i left the UK was the weather, but, getting started into the USA aint easy.
If you've got 500k you can pretty much buy your way in (am serious) it's like a donation but is refundable over a number of years.

The way i got in was by starting my own business on an E2 visa, no plain sailing, i employed an immigration company, not cheap, but, they practically guarantee getting in 1st time.
You could try and get sponsored by someone in America, or, use a direct relative route.

Have you considered Australia, also, Malta i've heard is easier

G17RDY
19th March 2013, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the reply, you are exactly the man i hoped would respond, seen as how you've done it!!

I've got a fairly good career in engineering, which would stand me in good stead, but it's where to start.

Unfortunately, i don't have 500k, or £500 for that matter, which is a massive obstruction, need to have money if you want to get out!
The wife and i would love either the USA or Australia, but it get's even more difficult when you consider the housing market, we would loose money on our house, three young kids (8,6 & 1) and again no money!!

Ach, it's a long standing dream which is going to have to stay there, we are not in a good position right now to even begin looking at immigration to other country's, which i think gets me down the most, but right now i want to start doing something about it, i know it's not going to be immediate or easy, we can't pack up and move tomorrow, but perhaps i could work on a 5 year plan.

Gismo
19th March 2013, 08:34 PM
One annoying thing if you choose America.
The entire country is run on credit ratings, so, when you move there your basically at zero, so, no loans or credit.

My first approved credit card I had to put $1000 into an account and use that money as if it was the banks and maintain it for a year before they finally approved me.

No chance of a car loan and a mortgage was never gonna happen, besides, being a non USA citizen the banks will not give you anything

But, once you get in and get established its a fantastic life

Good luck

Mon the fish
19th March 2013, 08:37 PM
Bavaria is where I'd head if I had the chance

Big Col
19th March 2013, 09:13 PM
What type of engineering are you in mate? There are plenty of opportunities in Oz for engineers depending on skillset?

Scottie
19th March 2013, 09:53 PM
What age are you. Two of my nephews have just moved to aus.

G17RDY
19th March 2013, 09:55 PM
HVAC Controls and energy, Col - I'm a qualified mechanical engineer, moved into building services, and then into HVAC controls / energy.

I currently head up a team of engineers and technicians servicing a large 2500+ site retailer, looking after their HVAC controls and energy.

- - - Updated - - -

What age are you. Two of my nephews have just moved to aus.

Just turned 34!!

The Dogfather
19th March 2013, 10:22 PM
Too many things that bite/sting in Oz, yes I know it can't be that bad as people live there, but I have phobias of snakes and spiders.

New Zealand would be my choice if I was going anywhere, earthquakes aside.

The UK has only had bad weather within the last 8 years really, and its not that bad. Mind you if the Tories get in again I'll probably leave as well.

Scottie
19th March 2013, 11:07 PM
At 34 it won't be easy for aus. You will need 10k in the bank first off

MINIme:)
19th March 2013, 11:37 PM
My sister moved to Dubai when she was about 27 and she's just about to turn 43. She loves it. I'm not au fait with the ins and outs of moving there but I'm pretty sure engineers are one of the good routes in. That and teachers and air stewards / stewardesses! Everyone she met there in the first few years presumed she was one of the latter, actually she was a petroleum geologist!

Stewart
20th March 2013, 12:26 AM
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-it-s-only-scottish-weather.png

Craig
20th March 2013, 12:30 AM
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-it-s-only-scottish-weather.png

Exactly Stew :thumbs up:

Crombers
20th March 2013, 12:59 AM
Yeah it's still a bit nippy for mid March, but in a few weeks we'll all be getting the lawn mowers & garden furniture out :yes nod:
Jings! last (early) March I got burnt at a footy tournament at Penrith :idunno::oops::lol:
Just wait until we get the next warm, blue sky day like the we had on the first Highland Tour in 2010. It sure as hell don't happen often but tell me then that you'd wanna leave :hand:

Big Col
20th March 2013, 08:07 AM
Given the volume of work in the Oil & Gas and water industries in Oz I'd have thought it would be worth you looking on Wood Group's website. If it's a 5 year plan you're after to get then then looking for a mech engineers job with Wood Group, AMEC, Petrofac or similar in the UK short term is likely to open up global opportunities longer term? Just a thought?

- - - Updated - - -

At 34 it won't be easy for aus. You will need 10k in the bank first off How so Fi? Is 34 too young or too old?

- - - Updated - - -

Jings! last (early) March I got burnt at a footy tournament at Penrith :idunno::oops::lol:

Aye but you're a pasty faced weegie. You guys get burnt at night. :p

Crombers
20th March 2013, 12:19 PM
Aye but you're a pasty faced weegie. You guys get burnt at night. :p

Bloody modern shell suits don't offer anything like the protection that they used to :smilewinkgrin:

Scottie
20th March 2013, 02:05 PM
To old think it cut off is 26 or 27 both nephews were over that age. You are required to have 10k amount in savings one is a civil engineer the other is a builder. Not as easy as one may think when your older.

ELFMAN
20th March 2013, 04:29 PM
:rain: :snow: OK, the weather's sh*t sometimes... well often, but it makes you REALLY appreciate a sunny day! :cool: :thumbs up:
Anyway, Rain, Mist and Snow is all just part of our beautiful wee country - in the Springtime. Admit it, you'd miss it if you left :smilewinkgrin:

I beg you to dig this bonny tune from the Silencers...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUXeosPR9ic
all you ex-pats can have a wee greet tae yersel's :sad:

http://www.muzu.tv/thesilencers/scottish-rain-music-video/579826/ (http://www.muzu.tv/thesilencers/scottish-rain-music-video/579826/)
It's a nice song, but beyond the obvious weather connection, it's actually quite a 'heavy' piece, written about the fallout from Chernobyl - which becomes clear from the visuals in this version by the band themselves, and you'll notice "Radioactive Rain" reference in the lyrics. Sorry to ruin the feeling! Not sure the folks who posted the first video actually clocked the true meaning.

Here's another 'old faithful'
TzFnYcIqj6I

with oor Annie vying with the scenery for the 'Who's the Best-Looking' award.

Sorry for going a bit 'Pop Quiz' and :off topic:

Gismo
20th March 2013, 04:46 PM
To old think it cut off is 26 or 27 both nephews were over that age. You are required to have 10k amount in savings one is a civil engineer the other is a builder. Not as easy as one may think when your older.Was working with a guy who is in the process of moving to Oz, he's in his mid 30's, i didn't get a chance to talk about what route he was getting in with

Angib
20th March 2013, 08:25 PM
Hey, what's not to like? I had loads of fun on some snowy moorland single-track roads in the Cheviot foothills today. More value from the winter tyres - great.

Then I came round a corner and there was an Audi A6 quattro (on what looked like summer tyres as I flashed past) sitting at 45degrees in the ditch.

MINIme:)
20th March 2013, 08:33 PM
I hate rain. It never bothered me much until I moved to Glasgow but it really depresses me now! And my trusty, expensive waterproof jacket has started to fall apart, just when I can't afford to replace it for a couple of years :rain: :sad: sniff.

Neil - TXJ
20th March 2013, 08:45 PM
Summer section may be to large.

Big Col
21st March 2013, 07:28 AM
Was working with a guy who is in the process of moving to Oz, he's in his mid 30's, i didn't get a chance to talk about what route he was getting in with

I've had 3 mates move to Oz in the last year, 1 was 48, 1 was early 40s and 1 was mid 50's. All were working for Oil Service support companies and moved into positions with their companies out there...hence my logic previously. :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
21st March 2013, 06:12 PM
I hate rain. It never bothered me much until I moved to Glasgow but it really depresses me now! And my trusty, expensive waterproof jacket has started to fall apart, just when I can't afford to replace it for a couple of years :rain: :sad: sniff.

Oh dear Jo, I think it sounds as if you should JACKET IN! :thud:

Crombers
21st March 2013, 10:54 PM
Oh dear Jo, I think it sounds as if you should JACKET IN! :thud:

Allow me to get the door for you :rolleyes: