PDA

View Full Version : Mini Visual Boost / HK / Connected question..

Burple
18th March 2013, 03:13 PM
This might be a long shot, but I need to know...

anybody tried connecting an mp3 player that's NOT an iPod / phone to the Mini Visual Boost?

I've got a Sony one, and when I plug it into the USB socket, it just refuses to acknowledge its existence. :ragin:
If I plug it into the Aux Jack (headphone style socket), I can play any of my music just fine, but have to control it via the player, not the Mini...

Just about to try a firmware update on the player, to see if that will help, and I've noticed that's there's a kind of 'settings' file on the player (capability_00.xml) which appears to be editable, and a line in that file states that <Storage max-full="100" type="MTP"/>
Which I'm guessing means that MTP (media transfer protocol) mode is turned on, which the Mini apparently needs.
Anybody round these parts have any suggestions?
(cos I don't want to turn to the apple dark side...) ;)

Craig
18th March 2013, 06:27 PM
dinnae have one of these big fancy MINI's with all the gubbins.... I've just got a MINI with a shouty exhaust :lol:

so I'm nae use... :idunno:

Bazthemod
18th March 2013, 07:22 PM
Come to the dark side, I know a nice shop...

You are right along the lines of the xml files... tried my dads MP3 player and it didn't work. I ended up chucking some tunes on a USB pen and forgetting about it being there.

Stewart
18th March 2013, 07:35 PM
I know it’s easier to have all your music on say in Iphone/ipod. Next Mini I’m just putting my 32 GB Mem stick in it with all my tunes!!!!

weefossy
18th March 2013, 08:47 PM
Ewan, I can use my Creative Zen without any problems, but I still like the quality of a CD. But as Stewart has suggested, I just put together a memory stick for Mom, which stays in the car permanently and only cost a few quid. Good enough for all the cr@p she listens to.

Stewart
19th March 2013, 12:30 AM
I have the Zen as well so interesting that it works. I lost out on the USB port in my car by weeks :ragin:

ianking
19th March 2013, 09:50 AM
With visual boost and an Ipod you would get all the album artwork and videos as well if you use the NEW style Y lead (there are 2 types of Y leads)

Burple
19th March 2013, 03:50 PM
Hmmm... I thought that might be the case. I tried updating the firmware, but no joy. Gonna have to dig out one of those old 4Gb pen drives for now I suppose. I tried bluetoothing the music from the phone last night, didn't pick it up properly, although there's allegedly an update out for the car now for better support for bluetooth in a lot of devices. might give that a try.

apparently the Mini connected app is to be out for android devices 'later this year'. sigh...

In other news.. it's much easier to use DAB with visual boost, so we had a good old listen to Planet Rock on the way home!

Traffic info etc is good on the Nav too :thumbs up:

weefossy
19th March 2013, 06:24 PM
Always gets me how the Sat Nav only uses the first 5 didgets of the postcode! Still, it works very well.

Burple
20th March 2013, 12:35 PM
Always gets me how the Sat Nav only uses the first 5 didgets of the postcode! Still, it works very well.

Really?.. I thought mine did the whole thing.. I'll have to check that again.. there might have been an update to that...

- - - Updated - - -

...I did the latest Mini Connect update yesterday, dead simple. all you need is a usb stck to plug into the car with the relevant update file on it. I got it here: http://www.mini.com/connectivity/

There are some updates for Bluetooth compatibility and stuff - for iPhone and others..
Anyway, takes about 5 mins to do the whole thing.
I've got the 'Playing music via the phone over bluetooth' thing figured out, so that will at least do for now :thumbs up: Pretty clever how it pauses the phone music player when you stop the car and take the key out. when you get back in, it continues play! :thumbs up:

I've not tried the mp3 player again yet, cos I formatted it and synced it properly with Windows Media Player as some documentation I found suggested. I'll give it a go at lunchtime...

Burple
20th March 2013, 05:54 PM
Ok.. tried the mp3 player again... no joy. not even reinstalling the drivers and using it as USB mass storage device. Grrr.

Just ordered a 32Gb tiny usb stick off Amazon for £20. at least that will work and I can leave it in there :thumbs up:

weefossy
21st March 2013, 12:33 PM
that's the best answer and you are never leaving your more expensive MP3 player in the car.

Gismo
21st March 2013, 12:50 PM
Just get an iPod ya tight git :lol:

zimbo
22nd March 2013, 12:14 AM
:lol::lol: