PDA

View Full Version : Card Fraud

Sheilz
16th August 2004, 07:18 PM
Hy there thought I might warn everyone about the risks of internet shopping. This morning I discovered that someone is using my bank card to make transactions over the internet. All the internet purchases I have made have been mini related but even then haven't made any myself for a few weeks. Someone has been going mad with my money this weekend while I've been slaving at school. Luckily I discovered last night that my bank account was empty and was able to stop whoever is responsible in their tracks.I'm not too happy about it, in fact I'm well annoyed BUT the fraudster missed Wee Eck's dosh and someone made the mistake of sending me a substantial cheque rather than paying it directly into my account. I was a bit annoyed at the time but am ever so grateful now. Its possible they have been pilfering small amounts from me for a while but I didn't notice when I'd Wee Eck's money in my account. Be careful!
:(:disapprove::mad:

KenL
16th August 2004, 07:51 PM
Are the bank giving you back the money?

Smurf
16th August 2004, 08:22 PM
I keep a close eye on all transactions in and out of all my accounts, but thanks for the warning.

Sorry to hear you've had trouble, and hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction soon...

3GGG
16th August 2004, 08:48 PM
Were these withdrawals in the form of goods purchased or cash from an ATM?

There have been a lot of cases where ATMs have been tampered with such that they gather your card details and a hidden camera nicks your PIN.

Hope you get your money back.

Duncan Stewart
16th August 2004, 08:50 PM
Sorry to hear that Sheilz. Bit lost about "Wee Eck". Hope you get your money back OK. Are you sure they got your card details from the internet? It is more usual for them to be copied when you use a card in a shop or cafe.

Steve74
16th August 2004, 08:54 PM
You should be able to get the money back if it was fraud. Especially if it was a credit card.

Scottie
16th August 2004, 09:20 PM
I never use my switch card over the internet. I use a credit card the one with the smallest limit.

Big Col
16th August 2004, 09:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

Bit lost about "Wee Eck".

I'm guessing that's her ickle MINI's name! Is it Shielz? Is it huh huh huh?:question::D

Duncan Stewart
17th August 2004, 12:04 AM
I thought her mini was called Hamish :question: or am I just daft :I :clown: ;)

MartinSullivan
17th August 2004, 12:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

I thought her mini was called Hamish :question: or am I just daft :I :clown: ;)

You are just daft ! :D

Her original mini was called Hamish, but he has just been replaced with an Electric Blue Cooper - Wee Eck.

Gismo
17th August 2004, 12:48 AM
Goes to check bank balances :eek: sorry to hear that Sheilz, not sure about how you received a cheque, but hope all is sorted

Sheilz
17th August 2004, 06:01 AM
Am a creature of habit, using the same stores and atm machines, which makes me suspicious of the occasions I have used it over the internet. Whichever muppet it was tried using it over the internet while I was on the phone to the bank! Perfect evidence that dirty deeds were afoot. Now I need to trawl through statements to find out exactly how much I've lost. I think I will get the money back but no doubt it will take ages. The cheque was for my placement expenses, if it had been paid directly into my account as it should have been, I would have lost an awful lot of money. While I am annoyed, I'm also happy that I wasn't done out of more than I was if you see what i mean.
Wee Eck is Hamish's successor. While I dont know how long this has gone on for, a ruthless cheat could have robbed me of my car. Anyway I've just had a rather nice day out at Edinburgh Zoo with the kids. Jist grand!:D:D

Nenah
17th August 2004, 07:19 AM
Pleased to say I've never (as yet - finger crossed!) been victim og internet/identity fraud and I do 85-90% of my shopping on the net. One tip i can offer: I have one credit card with full fraud ptotection insurance and a very low limit (£500 max) that I use ONLY use for internet purchases so when the statement comes in I can cross-check with my orders. The low limit card reduced my risk to internet/identity fraud and I never keep the card in credit & only pay/transfer money to pay for what I am purchasing - an extra hassel (& less spontaneous purchasing esp. for mini parts) but worth the security!

Sheilz
17th August 2004, 07:43 AM
I've got a wee card too which I think I will use in future!
:D

sh@z
18th August 2004, 10:55 PM
afaik most credit cards now come with online purchase protection, but yeah its a very real problem ... just hope you get the money you been done out of as soon as Sheilz, and they catch whoever did it asap too.

Nenah, good idea about having a separate card for use online, can never been too careful eh, especially with regards to hard earned cash that someone else may be too willing to nick in a jiffy :/