PDA

View Full Version : Handing In Resignation

lamdacore
15th March 2013, 02:04 PM
Just thought I would ask if anyone here was in a position of hiring manager, if so, let me describe the following scenario:

Me: I've been contacted about a new opportunity and I've had a think about it, and I've decided it's best-*interrupted*
Manager: Give me the bottom line
Me: Well, my contract states I only need to provide one day's notice, but--*interrupted*
Manager: I thought it was a week
Me: No, contract states 1 day BUT I'm happy to work a week if you - *interuppted*
Manager: That's up to you
Me: Ok, do you want me to liase with third party (contract provider)
Manager: Yes.
Me: Ok, I'll speak to them and get back to you
Manager: No, they can speak to me directly.
Me: Ok.

(the above isn't the exact conversation, word for word, but fundamentally, those were the words that were used)

*I speak to third party who advise that I need to speaker to manager again*

Me: Spoken to third party, advised that I need to- interuppted
Manager: So, when you finishing?
Me: Monday, end of shif- interrupted
Manager: Ok (grabs letter of resignation from hand and spins chair in opposite direction)

End.

Opinions, who was in the wrong? Me by not being decent and not working a week, eventhough contact states I only need to provide a day?
Or Manager being quite short and abrupt?
Or both?

I did intend on working a week, but given the behaviour of manager, I thought I'd just keep it business like and throw decency out the window.

Anyone here in a position of authority who has dealt with hiring / firing?
Anyone here in a position where they've handed in resignations and received that kind of reception?

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting a fanfare or celebration etc, but I would think a level of professionalism / manners would come in to play?

Gismo
15th March 2013, 02:43 PM
Actually, if you work at a big business complain to the HR manager immediately to give your version of events before you leave the company.
The guy is out of order and not very professional, maybe his conduct is already being viewed from above and this may help their case and ultimately the other guys under his supervision.

lamdacore
15th March 2013, 02:50 PM
Actually, if you work at a big business complain to the HR manager immediately to give your version of events before you leave the company.
The guy is out of order and not very professional, maybe his conduct is already being viewed from above and this may help their case and ultimately the other guys under his supervision.

I've already reported it to someone, but to be honest, there's not much that can be done... just thought I would ask impartial people to get consensus.

weefossy
15th March 2013, 06:11 PM
Good advice from Alan. You just have to accept that there are a lot of useless managers out there, but it is important to make a 3rd party, preferably HR, aware of what happened, in case of any come back, because it's evident that he does not know what the company procedure is. I would also, in the nicest possible way, put the story to the 3rd party in writing. No accusations or comments, just a summary of the facts and finish with some kind of thank you for the time you spent at the organisation. Some day, you may be that guy's potential boss and he might regret his actions. It's a "learn" for you.

Crombers
15th March 2013, 08:13 PM
Good advice from Alan. You just have to accept that there are a lot of useless managers out there, but it is important to make a 3rd party, preferably HR, aware of what happened, in case of any come back, because it's evident that he does not know what the company procedure is. I would also, in the nicest possible way, put the story to the 3rd party in writing. No accusations or comments, just a summary of the facts and finish with some kind of thank you for the time you spent at the organisation. Some day, you may be that guy's potential boss and he might regret his actions. It's a "learn" for you.

Sound advice sir :yes nod:

Mon the fish
15th March 2013, 08:48 PM
I had this when I left my last job. Didn't care, as the fact the manager was a w*nker was one of the main reasons for leaving. Walked out with a huge smile on my face. Their loss.

AndyP & Lenore
15th March 2013, 09:14 PM
Great advice from Gismo and Weefossy. :thumbs up:

This manager is seriously risking you leaving your job on Monday and then slapping them with a constructive dismissal claim. I realise that's not's whats happening here, but HE doesn't.

Lamdacore, I run a business employing 18 staff and if any of my middle managers treated ANY employee in this way I'd want to know about it and deal with it "accordingly".:ragin::ragin:

MINIme:)
15th March 2013, 09:18 PM
what they all said :thumbs up:

KenL
15th March 2013, 10:06 PM
Given that your contract only stipulates 1 day notice I can understand why the manager is stressed out!

Good luck in your new position. Sounds like you are better out of there and into a more secure situation.

MINIme:)
15th March 2013, 10:54 PM
In which case allowing his employee time to finish his sentence rather than presuming he was going would have been much more sensible - along with the question (that is, if he WAS clearly wanting to go) "Is there anything I can do to change your mind?" may PERHAPS have relieved his stress??

AndyP & Lenore
15th March 2013, 11:41 PM
Given that your contract only stipulates 1 day notice I can understand why the manager is stressed out!

But a poorly written contract is no good reason for the manager to display poor leadership and management skills.

Although I have to admit, I've never seen a contract requiring 1 days notice. Bizzare.

The Dogfather
15th March 2013, 11:42 PM
Typically it costs £000s to recruit, train and bed in new staff. Your manager might not be aware of it but HR certainly will.

I'd let them know how disappointed you were with his reaction, if they follow it up perhaps the next person handing their notice in will get a better experience and may reconsider.

lamdacore
16th March 2013, 01:15 AM
Thanks for advice guys!

Ach, I'm an IT Contractor, so this contract was quite convoluted in the sense of Company Requires Resource > Outsourced Resource > Outsource Recruitment Agency > My Company > Me, so the contract was actually only between my company and the agency, where the 1 day notice period was required, I think the week notice was required between the Outsourced Resource and the Outsource Recruitment Agency, so I think that's where he might've got confused. But hey, I know 1 day notice isn't ideal, but it works both ways, particularly when I feel I was trying to do the decent thing and work the rest of the week.

Crombers
16th March 2013, 07:56 AM
Typically it costs £000s to recruit, train and bed in new staff. Your manager might not be aware of it but HR certainly will.

I'd let them know how disappointed you were with his reaction, if they follow it up perhaps the next person handing their notice in will get a better experience and may reconsider.

£2500 is a figure that is quoted within DHL to bring in & train new managers at my level. Not cheap.

weefossy
16th March 2013, 01:46 PM
I would have thought a lot more than that if a recruitment agency fee is paid.

Crombers
18th March 2013, 01:05 PM
I would have thought a lot more than that if a recruitment agency fee is paid.

Agreed, my figure does not take that into account.