PDA

View Full Version : Who knows, or is connected to someone famous?

Borvad
13th March 2013, 11:38 PM
I'll start..............well, we don't know anybody famous exactly but the woman we got our cats from sold their sister to the actor Robert Carlyle....and I went to school with a lower league footballer, Brian Carrigan

:thumbs up:

john
14th March 2013, 12:24 AM
I know Alan Mercer :cool:

Craig
14th March 2013, 12:27 AM
One of my relatives was a ballet dancer for the Royal Ballet ;)

My mates uncle is best friends with Billy Connolly in Oz..

Craig
14th March 2013, 12:27 AM
I know Alan Mercer :cool:

Lol :lol:

john
14th March 2013, 12:31 AM
Billy Was one of my customers, if you ever watch his Scotland Ireland tour you can see my company stickers on his window of the Land Rover, I kitted out his Black Trike and Land Rover.

AndyP & Lenore
14th March 2013, 12:35 AM
I know Lee Child (international best-selling author of the Jack Reacher mystery novels). Any time he's in the UK touring we make an effort to meet up and have a catch up over food/drink. Top man. :thumbs up::thumbs up:

john
14th March 2013, 12:48 AM
I know Lee Child (international best-selling author of the Jack Reacher mystery novels). Any time he's in the UK touring we make an effort to meet up and have a catch up over food/drink. Top man. :thumbs up::thumbs up:
Alan does that too, he's a top bloke:thumbs up:

lamdacore
14th March 2013, 01:36 AM
I know a world super sport rider :-)

Gismo
14th March 2013, 06:35 AM
Alan does that too, he's a top bloke:thumbs up:Shucks, hmm famous, played football against Ian Redford (who went on to play for Rangers and Scotland) and based on that performance i was scheduled for a trial with Rangers, sadly got an injury that i never fully recovered from for top flight football.

David Bowie's my main man, but, he just doesn't know it :Whistle:

Also, my mate fitted out Billy Connolly's land rover and trike :lol:

G17RDY
14th March 2013, 08:15 AM
Growing up my next door neighbour was Caroline Guthrie, who played carol in Gregory's Girl and Pauline in local hero!

Ah Gregory's Girl, still to this day one of the funniest films there is!!

Crombers
14th March 2013, 08:30 AM
Play football with Mr A McCoist on the occassional Sunday that he can make it along (he's a bit busy these days apparently :rolleyes:) Also making the odd appearance is Alex O'Hara who played for Rangers back in the 70's.

I've met Mr Mercer & Mr Barrie as well :thumbs up:

Gismo
14th March 2013, 08:39 AM
Ooh i forgot, i used to deliver Bruce Forsythe's paper :lol:

Scottie
14th March 2013, 08:56 AM
I know the mother of Andy Murray.

AndyP & Lenore
14th March 2013, 10:51 AM
I know the mother of Andy Murray.

That'll be Judy. But are you friends with her on Facebook? :lol:

MINIme:)
14th March 2013, 11:00 AM
Good thread :lol:

One day I hope to meet Mr Mercer.

If I must drag these out again :rolleyes:...... My mum had a fling with a member of a band that you'll say 'Who??' but you'll know a song of theirs.... Unit 4 Plus Two - anyone name that song?? without googling?

And me Dad had a fling with a bond girl :thumbs up: :smilewinkgrin: And yes these were both well before they were married .

Oh and I used to play badminton with Stuart Grimes off of the Scottish rugby team

Oh and my sister's PE teacher at school was Neale Cooper's sister.

weefossy
14th March 2013, 11:50 AM
Great idea for a thread, which made the old brain think......played snooker against world champion Clff Thorburn.....he won.

Had the pleasure of being the warm up act in the board room of the Camp Nou for Frank Dick, who was Daly Thompson's Coach, turned motivational speaker. On a similar vein, worked with Carol Smillie and Joanna Lumley. Would have probably married Carol Smillie, or maybe Annie Lennox, if Mom hadn't come along.....lol

Also sat next to Frank Bruno at an amateur boxing dinner. He was one of the nicest guys I've met.

Sad thing is, I bet none of them will post up saying they have met me.......or even remember me....doh!

N16SHP
14th March 2013, 12:42 PM
I've met plenty famous people (Rowan Atkinson, Billy Connolly, Ritchie McCaw, Dan Carter plus countless other rugby players) but wouldn't say I'm friends with a famous person. I am friends with Ruaridh Jackson from the Scottish Rugby Team. Again I will use the terms 'Famous' and 'Friend' loosely as I am friends with his sister and know him by association really and I doubt anyone who's really into rugby would know who he is.

Joanna - Stood up and applauded your Dad for a moment when I read the Bond Girl fling!

Gismo
14th March 2013, 12:45 PM
Memories pouring back, sat and listened to stories from Richard Dunn, the guy who fought Muhamed Ali for the world heavyweight boxing title, his story went.......
I was boxing away and thought i was doing pretty good defending myself and getting a couple of jabs in, but, ali said something to me and i didn't hear him so i said what did you say and Ali said, count to 10 :lol:

Also, while at the Kingsway technical College I used to play header tennis with Walter Smith and also a fantastic player from Montrose, Les Barr :soccer: wonder if they all remember me :lol:

Burple
14th March 2013, 03:23 PM
Hmm.. norralot.. and not really a 'connection' but I nearly got run over by Richard O'Brien (Crystal Maze / Rocky Horror) at Mini 30 at Silverstone.. He was driving the first ever Mini off the production line!! :eek:

zimbo
14th March 2013, 04:15 PM
Hmm.. norralot.. and not really a 'connection' but I nearly got run over by Richard O'Brien (Crystal Maze / Rocky Horror) at Mini 30 at Silverstone.. He was driving the first ever Mini off the production line!! :eek:

:lol: I remember that and to be honest it wasn't really his fault after all you are pretty wee and he obviously didn't see your bald napper :hand:

Stewart
14th March 2013, 06:52 PM
Growing up my next door neighbour was Caroline Guthrie, who played carol in Gregory's Girl and Pauline in local hero!

Ah Gregory's Girl, still to this day one of the funniest films there is!!

Thats cracking! Love Both Films. " I have a date" as she changes in the phone box - only in Scotland.

Grew up with Packie Bonner living across the road when he first started for Celtic, still comes up to visit family. Carol Smillie lived round the Corner. My cousin lives next door to Andy Murrays Mum, My Aunt is friends and goes to Yoga with Ewan Macgregor’s Mum and Dad.

I once stood next to Michael J. Fox in Florida and sat next to Jim Kerr on the Bus. That’s about it! :smilewinkgrin:

john
14th March 2013, 07:47 PM
I had my picture taken with Carol Vordamen

MINIme:)
14th March 2013, 07:53 PM
Joanna - Stood up and applauded your Dad for a moment when I read the Bond Girl fling!

thankyaverymuch! :smilewinkgrin:

Shirley Eaton - the one suffocated in gold paint ;)

DarnShiv
14th March 2013, 08:18 PM
We were at Paul Ritchie's wedding (ex Hearts/Rangers/Man City player), old school friend of Siubhan. Also met John Greig at a Speakers dinner, and Steve Davis the snooker dude. He has a wicked sense of humour, despite the boring tag.

d.oxley72
14th March 2013, 09:01 PM
A few years I ago, I worked at Welcome Break Services at Abington. I was on the late shift and the only member of staff out front. And in came Wing Commander Andy Green, driver of ThrustSSC and future driver of BloodhoundSSC.
Professional decorum took over and I took his order then took his money at the til. Even though I was tempted to ask for his autograph, he had the look of someone who just wanted a quiet sit down, so I left him in peace.
After that I was in the position of wanting to tell my colleagues that the fastest driver in the world was in the building, but I quickly realised that none of them would know who I was talking about.
So there you are, I can proudly say that I served a true world hero an overpriced hot drink and bun.

Tam1314
17th March 2013, 08:44 PM
I'll start..............well, we don't know anybody famous exactly but the woman we got our cats from sold their sister to the actor Robert Carlyle....and I went to school with a lower league footballer, Brian Carrigan

:thumbs up:

Isn't that illegal these days 😄

I was Daniel O'Donnels bodyguard for five days when he played at the Usher Hall about 10 years ago, he still keeps in touch through emails.
That's about it.