PDA

View Full Version : It's a question of definition dear boy...

Big Col
12th March 2013, 11:45 AM
Righto NMSers. Here is a question that may have been done to death so apologies if going over old ground but for insurance purposes what does or does not constitue a mod? i.e. Is dealer fit bodykit a mod? Ar stripes a mod? My thinking is that anything that is "dealer fit" as opposed to "factory fit" is a mod. Are we all in agreement? :D

Burple
12th March 2013, 12:08 PM
Honestly.. I'd check with your insurance company... they all try to wriggle out of things like this in their own way..
I read a while ago that adding the 'Chili pack' was a modification to the standard spec somewhere... with some insurance company, but they're not all that bad..

Some things like stripes you might see as cosmetic, they might see it as a modification that might make the car more likely to be stolen. Same with the bodykit... as it's strictly not 'standard equipment'. It all affects the amount of money they'd have to pay out..
Like I said.. I'd have a nice, frank open and honest chat with them about it ;) and resist the temptation to beat their bloodsucking parasitic little heads in... :p You're better to know you're covered...

weefossy
12th March 2013, 12:16 PM
It's called "duty of disclosure". As Euan has said....tell them everything and let them decide what is relevant. Then they have no excuses. If you have stripes on the car and you have a bump, you will probably want these stripes replaced. If the insurance company don't know about them, they won't cough up the money to replace them. Things like "chilli pack" etc should always be mentioned separately. With our classic mini we used to have to send a full schedule and pictures to verify.

Gismo
12th March 2013, 12:19 PM
Anything added to the car after it's rolled off the production line is a mod, at time of initial insurance you must disclose optional extras including stripes, mirror covers etc

stoney
12th March 2013, 12:21 PM
As above ;)

Big Col
12th March 2013, 12:28 PM
Alrighty. So we're all agreed. Groovy!:dance: Just thought I'd ask. Now...better go make a phone call...

Stewart
12th March 2013, 12:51 PM
The only thing I’ve got is stripes but I bought it with them on it even if I had the Company come to the dealership. So I’m sticking with that’s that the way I picked it up.

How many MINI’s have arrived at dealers only to have stripes added before going on for sale? I would not expect average punter to even think when they phone for a quote or to say I’m buying a new car.

Always best tell them to be on the safe side all the same. I did inform them I took it off the RF, although the Girl had to pass the call over as she did not know what I was doing.

The Dogfather
12th March 2013, 01:51 PM
I had a long conversation with an insurance rep a while ago, if you don't declare a modification then an insurance company won't payout for replacement of the modification.

They can only refuse to payout at all if the modification was likely to increase the risk to them, so if you had a crash then the stripes wouldn't have increased the risk. However, if it was stolen/vandalised they may argue that the attention grabbing stripes increased the risk.

Obviously best to declare everything so the devious little so and sos can't wriggle out of anything.

As for winter tyres, unbelievable that some companies are still asking people to notify them, mind you this might be to get data on whether fitting winter tyres reduces the risks of accidents. These companies may in future offer lower premiums to people who fit them if the data shows that statistically you're less likely to have a bump.

Big Col
12th March 2013, 03:22 PM
I'm with you on this, never heard of an insurance company giving away anything........

Nonsense. I've got a Direct Line biro in my desk drawer. :D

Gismo
12th March 2013, 03:36 PM
Nonsense. I've got a Direct Line biro in my desk drawer. :DDid you buy their insurance?

Angib
12th March 2013, 11:39 PM
I suspect the data on winter tyres would show that the accident rate went up as the driver clearly isn't going to sit at home waiting for the snow to go, as some summer tyre drivers will.

I do remember that German insurers put extra loading on ABS brakes when they were first introduced as they had data that said ABS-equipped cars had more accidents - probably because the "I can't crash, as I've got ABS" syndrome.

weefossy
13th March 2013, 03:14 PM
Come on Alan.....you mean you can't remember the free tins of mints i handed out on many a run, with an "insurance company" logo on the front. Don't know why I bothered......doh!!