PDA

View Full Version : Douglas Parks

d.oxley72
12th March 2013, 10:07 AM
Last year, when trying to remove a wheel, the threads on the lock nut adapter sheared. I managed to retighten the nuts except the lock nut so I decided to take my Mini to Douglas Parks to order a new adapter and for one of their mechanics to tighten the lock nut in the meantime.

The service advisor (I think that was his title) replied that they only had the master set for ordering new adapters not for retightening nuts. Then he said driving back home with three nuts tightened on the wheel would be ok.

Needless to say I wasn't impressed by the response but didn't press the issue and drove home.

A few days later when I was in Dumfries, I called into Crossflags, ordered a new adapter and without question a mechanic came out and retighten the lock nut.

As I had bought my Mini from Douglas Parks and has previously been pleased by their service, I was disappointed that on this issue, they were reluctant to help.

I don't know if different Mini dealerships have different policies regarding mechanical and service issues such as this, but I presumed all Mini service garages would operate to the same standard.

Craig
12th March 2013, 10:38 AM
Not good that you were treated that way, however I am sure others will agree with me that you can get wildly different experiences with service from the same dealer depending on who you deal with :thud:

d.oxley72
12th March 2013, 11:34 AM
If I'm spending a large amount of money buying and running a car, I expect to get quality of service irrespective of whether its a small independent garage or a main dealer. Is that too much to ask?

Burple
12th March 2013, 12:10 PM
Not good that you were treated that way, however I am sure others will agree with me that you can get wildly different experiences with service from the same dealer depending on who you deal with :thud:

Amen to that big buddy! ;)
..and it's a damn shame that my favourite dealer just happens to be 400 miles away!!! :ragin:;)

Stewart
12th March 2013, 12:38 PM
My car had only ever been serviced and MOT in HF Giffnock. For the first time I was not happy with something in my car, the preliminary Airbox felt loose to me. I’m never under the bonnet. So took it in a guy from the service department (Shirt and tie kind of thing) came out looked at it and said he did not know if that was right or wrong (Got to wonder what was the point if you don’t know about the engine).
The only thing he could suggest was to make up a work card even when I asked could a mechanic not take two minutes to look at it. So asked what does a Job card mean and basically that would be £100 for them not to fix it just to take a look.

So I drove off unimpressed, popped into my local non MINI garage that I had used for years with my Honda, Father and son. The father I’ve know for years came out took the box off took and look and showed me the plastic connection had worn probably from not being fitted back during a MINI service. But it was just a box to stop water etc going through the filter and it was still doing its job all be it one of the connections was worn. But not to worry about it as you could actually not even have it and the car would be fine.

Anyway Car is past its TLC so its going in for its service in the local independent and it got its MOT there in December too. I must emit I enjoyed explaining to the girl phoning reminding me about the MOT was due from HF that I’d not be back with it.

End of the day the independent took ten minutes out of their day to look at the car and check it for free and allay any of my fears. Now if they can do it why can’t a fancy dealership do it. Maybe if they did not have three girls standing doing nothing but say hello and offer you coffee to that of say an semi retired ex mechanic that could check things.

Gismo
12th March 2013, 01:26 PM
Sadly Stewart that is exactly why the Mini dealers are the way they are, they have massive overheads compared to the independent and will always look to make money.
I'm not defending them by any means.

Mon the fish
12th March 2013, 02:04 PM
As much as I'm not keen on franchised dealers here, you should try BMW in France, bunch of work-shy numpties!

ELFMAN
12th March 2013, 02:15 PM
I've always found Douglas Park MINI in Hamilton fine.

I know other folks have different experiences there and elsewhere, but I can only report my experience since 2001 - which has been positive. Apart form the exciting car-buying stuff, there have been quite a few times over the years I've gone in to DP with small 'diagnostic' and other queries and never really had a problem getting someone to take a look and advise/fix. For instance, I've had my EML re-set (due to my Milltek downpipe) more than once - F.O.C. and when I bought my current car, they removed most of my 'aftermarket' stuff and my Works seats etc from my R53 as part of the deal so I could re-sell and recoup some funds. I had kept all the O.E. gear, so they were happy to return the car to 'standard' which obviously made it a better proposition for them to sell - so it was a 'win - win' for both parties, but all done without fuss or argument.

Sometimes it's just your luck, and the type of problem you have. Presumably 'getting to know' your dealer over a few years (not to mention the 10's of £K spent) doesn't do any harm either :smilewinkgrin:

One thing I would say is that for Bodywork/Paint etc I wouldn't touch DP Bodyshop in East Kilbride with a bargepole. For an 'official' MINI repair centre they were :moonie: Once bitten... :hand: :frown:
:yawn: (it's a long story...)

d.oxley72
12th March 2013, 03:48 PM
For a main dealer, I have been happy with Crossflags in Dumfries. Apart the silly charge for them just to investigate when there are problems, on the whole I would be happy to continue getting the Mini serviced there.
However, for most jobs, I go to Parkdale garage on the Dalbeattie road out of Dumfries. A good reliable independent garage who know their stuff and charge acceptable prices for their work.

Stewart
12th March 2013, 06:02 PM
Ewan I think in your case you either talk to the right person of the bat or its just you have had so much work done and bought cars that your known to them. I’m sure if I pulled in with CPU update there would be a standard hour labour on it.

Must be going about it all wrong :smilewinkgrin: But what ever it is it works for you!

http://t.qkme.me/369iho.jpg

ianking
14th March 2013, 01:54 PM
I had a similar problem. I snapped one of the locking bolts the day before I was going to Northern Ireland for a car show. I had the wheels off cleaning them and as such couldnt remove one of them.

I quickly drove to my local dealer (Eastern) and explained what had happened and that it was my own fault. They removed the locking bolt for me with their master nut key, replaced it with a temporary standard bolt and ordered a new locking bolt for me and put it in the post all free of charge.
I was very happy and as such when I got back from my trip away I took them in a box of chocs.

ELFMAN
14th March 2013, 03:14 PM
Ewan I think in your case you either talk to the right person of the bat or its just you have had so much work done and bought cars that your known to them. I’m sure if I pulled in with CPU update there would be a standard hour labour on it. Must be going about it all wrong :smilewinkgrin: But what ever it is it works for you!

"Is it 'cos I is BALD?"