PDA

View Full Version : Coolant levels

euan
16th August 2004, 07:01 PM
OK, can somebody help me with a stupid question.

I checked the oil level at the weekend and (very unlike me) I checked the coolant level. This appears to be very low. What should I be putting in there, and is there any damage that can be done with running with low coolant?

Edit: moved to correct forum

KenL
16th August 2004, 07:54 PM
How low Euan? Is it below the "min" mark? If it is just below the min mark then you could probably just top up with water. If it is much lower then you should mix 50:50 with coolant.

As long as your car wasn't over-heating then no damage should be done.

euan
16th August 2004, 07:59 PM
It's kind of hard to tell just how low as the coolant bottle is not clear, but yes, it looked pretty low.

Any kind of coolant ok?

KenL
16th August 2004, 09:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan

It's kind of hard to tell just how low as the coolant bottle is not clear, but yes, it looked pretty low.

Any kind of coolant ok?

Any kind would probably do but might be best to get some MINI stuff and therefore not mixing it.

KenL
16th August 2004, 09:38 PM
Remember not to fill the bottle completely as you need an expansion space. Only mentioning this if you can't see the "max" mark.

euan
18th August 2004, 07:23 PM
I spoke to the dealer about something else and there have been a few issues around some S builds and coolant leaks, so it's been booked in for tomorrow for a nose about. And a wash :)