PDA

View Full Version : To mod or not to mod..

d.oxley72
4th March 2013, 04:04 PM
So not to clog up other people's threads, here's my humble opinion on the culture of modding. If you have the time and money to mod your Mini, then fine. It's your right and as long as it doesn't end up an embarrassment on wheels, then it wouldn't be my place to pass judgement on another person's desire to make their Mini even better.

Personally, I haven't the desire (or the money) to mod my ONE. For me owning the car that I've always wanted (since its creation) is enough for me. And having a Mini that will bring me enjoyment on the roads of Britian (even on the dreariest of commuter runs) as well as the chance to meet nice people on Mini events and runs, is why I chose my ONE in the first place.

Gismo
4th March 2013, 04:12 PM
Folks always ask on here for their opinion and in doing so are given varying responses, what suits one person doesn't always suit another.
That's why the brand is so unique, so, for me, yep, i'll give my opinion, it's not meant to ridicule (unless it's Big Col :lol: ) but more to be constructive.

I can't remember anyone really getting too upset by someone's opinion :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
4th March 2013, 04:55 PM
I don't think there's any worries with this one - as Gismo says - Each to their Own.

Personally I'm all for it, no mods, little mods, great big mods - all fine by me, and all are equally welcome and respected on NMS. A mad 300bhp R53 is great, but a well-maintained standard ONE or COOPER is a lovely thing too - and still great fun. My personal hang-up (explained elsewhere) is knowing when to stop!

The only 'problem' in modding MINIs - if you can describe it as such - is when you come to GPs and WC50s, when there's the eternal debate on whether you should touch "Limited Editions" or leave them alone. And that's been done to death by now! Even that tricky argument boils down to the above.

G17RDY
4th March 2013, 06:26 PM
My thoughts, it's your car, do whatever you want to do, let no one else tell you it's good or bad, if you like it, then it's all gravy!!!

Crombers
4th March 2013, 06:41 PM
Run of the MINI, then fill yer boots & mod to the hilt (or not), the choice is entirely yours :yes nod:

Limited edition then (& this is only my opinion) naw, naw & NAW :frown:

- - - Updated - - -

My thoughts, it's your car, do whatever you want to do, let no one else tell you it's good or bad, if you like it, then it's all gravy!!!

So if someone puts their MINI on the gallery we can only say nice things instead of being honest (opinion wise & within reason) good or bad?
I totally agree however that it is the owners right to do whatever the heck they want to their MINI, but surely we can voice our opin opinions either way. I for example have an aerokit fitted to my R50 & I know some NMSers are not fans of said kit. I'll accept their opinion but it won't bother me a jot as I think its acefabbydobby :thumbs up:

G17RDY
4th March 2013, 07:34 PM
Run of the MINI, then fill yer boots & mod to the hilt (or not), the choice is entirely yours :yes nod:

Limited edition then (& this is only my opinion) naw, naw & NAW :frown:

- - - Updated - - -

So if someone puts their MINI on the gallery we can only say nice things instead of being honest (opinion wise & within reason) good or bad?
I totally agree however that it is the owners right to do whatever the heck they want to their MINI, but surely we can voice our opin opinions either way. I for example have an aerokit fitted to my R50 & I know some NMSers are not fans of said kit. I'll accept their opinion but it won't bother me a jot as I think its acefabbydobby :thumbs up:

No, that's not at all what i meant, of course ask for opinions, i do, to gain various perspectives on something, but overall make your own mind up, and afterwards don't take any negative criticism as if you have chosen badly, everyone has different tastes, as long as you are happy with a mod then go with it and love it, when you no longer love it, take it off and go with something else you want.

Craig
4th March 2013, 07:48 PM
Mod it - limited edition or not. :thud: :yes nod:

It's your car, your money and your life - don't let others (who may be narrow minded and stuck in their ways) tell you what to do :thumbs up:

stoney
4th March 2013, 08:16 PM
I say mod away :) f you want to I used to be like crombers with the limited editions but not any more as they are people's car and they can do what they want to do

Big Col
4th March 2013, 09:34 PM
I can't remember anyone really getting too upset by someone's opinion :thumbs up:

woteva papa smurf! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

then it's all gravy!!!

Aaaaaaaaah. Bisto. :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

for example have an aerokit fitted to my R50 & I know some NMSers are not fans of said kit. I'll accept their opinion but it won't bother me a jot as I think its acefabbydobby :thumbs up:
I too accept their opinion on this as it means I retain the right to believe they are fuds for holding said opinion in the first place. :smilewinkgrin:

- - - Updated - - -

I used to be like crombers
Jeez min most folk would need some water boarding before stating that! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

For the record I say do whatever makes you happy and sod the folks that don't like it. We're on this wee ball of mud for an awful short period so anytime wasted caring about what others are doing or thinking about what you're doing is time wasted you can never have back if you ask me.:cool:

That being said this is not an endorsement of that incident with Burple and that aardvark. :hand:

GreigJCW
5th March 2013, 07:10 AM
Modding done well can look excellent, bad modding tbh can be a little embarrasing as I learned on my R50 cooper, looking back I must have been on drugs at times. there are certain models that simply shouldn't be touched, there are some horrific GP1's out there. Ultimately it is you car but remember if you ask for peoples opinion be prepared for the negative as well. Some will give you pointers in the right direction others will probably just say "thats ****"

stoney
5th March 2013, 08:17 AM
embarrasing as I learned on my R50 cooper, looking back I must have been on drugs at times. Hate saying or agreeing with anything crombers says

So you agreeing it looked like you had drove thro halfords backwards then :lol: ;)

john
5th March 2013, 08:39 AM
There are mods and there are mods, my first couple of minis I changed the wheels and side skirts and fitted a nice stereo ( no amps or boom boxes) and I had several Playmini exhausts and also an HKS exhaust but suspension wise they were untouched.

I always used to wonder why some of my customers would spend a fortune to make there cars quicker then spend more money making the stereo as heavy as possible just to slow it down again, then lower it so you have to plan your route avoiding speed bumps.

Back in the day of the JCW kit being aftermarket add on people spent the money to say they had it I think, as I remember being held up by such a car in my mini one on a run. ( he is not on here anymore)

i say no to modding limited editions but then that's crap too because if ( when) I buy another GP I will fit a glovebox and that is a mod.

its your car do what makes you happy.

Did anyone actually like the green mini from Inverness with white body kit? Who cares? The owner liked it!

Big Col
5th March 2013, 08:58 AM
Did anyone actually like the green mini from Inverness with white body kit? Who cares? The owner liked it!

Man I totally forgot about him and that mini! That was the one with the spoiler that generated lift wasn't it? ;) Like you say though, he loved that car so good luck to him.

Mon the fish
5th March 2013, 09:11 AM
Mini's are not 250GTO's.

Even the limited editions are still only Mini's - they will never be worth more than the list price.

It's your car, do what you want to it. The first GP was the ultimate R53, but still needs some changes to make it better IMO.

Do what you want to your car, you paid for it, be proud of it. And if you like what you've done, don't worry about what other people think of it. I've never put up a project thread for my car anywhere as I don't give a t*ss what anyone else thinks about it

The Dogfather
5th March 2013, 09:24 AM
Over the years I've come to the conclusion that a lot of mods are just awful, they either compromise the car or just look tacky.

Here's a few of my own pet hates: -

Lowering a car so much it fails to get over speed bumps or grounds on bumpy roads
Blacking out lights
De-chroming on cars that suit a bit of chrome (such as the MINI)
Over chroming
4x4 with big wheels and tiny tyres
Wastegate thingys
Aftermarket leds
Under-car lights
Exhausts that are just too loud - I include my old MX5 in that, ruined the car on long runs
Exhaust that require a hole to be cut into the rear bumper but the owner has neither the skill nor the patience to do it properly and cuts an ill fitting one or leaves the exhaust hanging beneath the car at an odd angle.

If you want to mod a car, keep it subtle and the mods such actually improve the car, otherwise leave it standard.

I do have a long term wish to source a low mileage R53 and to mod it with coilovers, bigger brakes, lighter wheels, better engine maybe a diffuser but I want it to look as standard as possible so it doesn't attract attention.

Crombers
5th March 2013, 04:50 PM
Modding done well can look excellent, bad modding tbh can be a little embarrasing as I learned on my R50 cooper, looking back I must have been on drugs at times. there are certain models that simply shouldn't be touched, there are some horrific GP1's out there. Ultimately it is you car but remember if you ask for peoples opinion be prepared for the negative as well. Some will give you pointers in the right direction others will probably just say "thats ****"

Acht you took out that bit about me & you agreeing on something ........... I liked that bit ......... honest (where's ma olive branch) :arms:

Gismo
5th March 2013, 04:54 PM
Acht you took out that bit about me & you agreeing on something ........... I liked that bit ......... honest (where's ma olive branch) :arms:No he didn't, i took it out, am fed up of your bickering and inuendo and constant baiting of fellow members and then hiding behind sarcastic words saying you were joking

Crombers
5th March 2013, 05:01 PM
No he didn't, i took it out, am fed up of your bickering and inuendo and constant baiting of fellow members and then hiding behind sarcastic words saying you were joking

Whoa boss, im being honest here, turn a new leaf & all that ......... time for new beginning was my thought ......... in a huff(ish) now :idunno:

ELFMAN
5th March 2013, 05:11 PM
I've never put up a project thread for my car anywhere as I don't give a t*ss what anyone else thinks about it

That's fair enough Mon, but remember, some folks might find the Tech Spec interesting as an example of a properly-thought-out Modded MINI... :idea: :yes nod: :thumbs up:
or maybe you don't want any 'Clones' chasing you through the twisties! :smilewinkgrin:

Craig
5th March 2013, 05:58 PM
That's fair enough Mon, but remember, some folks might find the Tech Spec interesting as an example of a properly-thought-out Modded MINI... :idea: :yes nod: :thumbs up:
or maybe you don't want any 'Clones' chasing you through the twisties! :smilewinkgrin:

I kinda agree with Elf, but I suppose if you want to know about someone's car we can just ask, the worse thy can say is I'm not telling you ;)

Crombers
5th March 2013, 06:49 PM
No he didn't, i took it out, am fed up of your bickering and inuendo and constant baiting of fellow members and then hiding behind sarcastic words saying you were joking

Whit!!!!!!, im being edited, .......... (didny think id gone that low)

You either need yer Weetabix or a Snickers lol (see other threads, time for a new start , but can we still have a laugh at/with each other without it being taken in the wrong context!! ........... puleeeeeeeeeze)

Mon the fish
5th March 2013, 07:05 PM
Come to Alford, more than happy to show you around it ;)

john
5th March 2013, 07:48 PM
Come to Alford, more than happy to show you around it ;)

I got fastest time of the day at Alford track at the Aberdeen Mini weekend against the classics and a few cooper's' too in my daughters mini one

Big Col
6th March 2013, 08:23 AM
I got fastest time of the day at Alford track at the Aberdeen Mini weekend against the classics and a few cooper's' too in my daughters mini one

Whilst my default position is to go straight for banter, to be fair that's pretty impressive. :thumbs up:

stoney
6th March 2013, 08:30 AM

We all know you can drive properly tho I mind trying to keep up with you on a run you where in a one 7 and I was in a 200bhp jcw :lol: still struggled :D

Big Col
6th March 2013, 08:58 AM
We all know you can drive properly tho I mind trying to keep up with you on a run you where in a one 7 and I was in a 200bhp jcw :lol: still struggled :D

Jessie! :p

stoney
6th March 2013, 09:34 AM
Jessie! :p

Yep :D

The Dogfather
6th March 2013, 09:58 AM

John, having been in a car with you its pretty obvious that whilst you're an excellent driver, you also have a screw loose ;). You're still accelerating when sane men have closed their eyes and are waiting for the impact. Mine were closed a number of times on that little run out by the airport.

I guess it goes to show that its not the car its the driver that's the most important modification when it comes to going fast.

Gismo
6th March 2013, 10:38 AM
I guess it goes to show that its not the car its the driver that's the most important modification when it comes to going fast.I've often said that on here, expert driving lessons are the best mod there is :thumbs up:

Big Col
6th March 2013, 10:53 AM
you also have a screw loose ;)....I guess it goes to show that its not the car its the driver that's the most important modification when it comes to going fast.

Next Mod : Loosen screw. ;)

The Dogfather
6th March 2013, 11:09 AM
Next Mod : Loosen screw. ;)

Don't loosen it too much, the wheels can come off.

Burple
6th March 2013, 11:33 AM
That being said this is not an endorsement of that incident with Burple and that aardvark. :hand:

That Aardvark was pure askin' for it...
If you must go dig up the past... he'd like a word ;)

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/35771523.jpg

p.s... to keep on topic.. it's your car.. mod it how you like. If you love the way it looks or sounds or drives, that's all that matters! :cool:

ELFMAN
6th March 2013, 12:35 PM
John, having been in a car with you its pretty obvious that whilst you're an excellent driver, you also have a screw loose ;). You're still accelerating when sane men have closed their eyes and are waiting for the impact. Mine were closed a number of times on that little run out by the airport. I guess it goes to show that its not the car its the driver that's the most important modification when it comes to going fast.

This might be digressing slightly form 'Modding'...
I agree that being a 'good driver' is worth more than that extra 100bhp, but the only problem (on the road) is that you could also say that no matter how good your car is, or how good a driver you are, if the 'other guy' is willing to take more stupid risks, he'll go quicker - but he'll also probably wipe himself out (or the family in the car coming the other way).

If you are a better driver, you're much less likely to play 'Russian Roulette' with oncoming traffic, blind crests and corners, surface conditions etc, so you might well be 'slower' down a given piece of tarmac - but at least you'll get there in one piece and still have had fun on the way. A decent driver in a well-modded car and a complete tool in an Astra might post a similar journey time, but one's driving within certain parameters and the other is literally an accident waiting to happen. By the way, I'm not referring to John here! :smilewinkgrin: Unless he's bought an Astra...

If it's a 'level playing field' with drivers of similar skill levels, I'd argue that the guy (or girl) in the properly modded car will come out on top. Look at Formula 1 or Rallying for the proof.

Gismo
6th March 2013, 12:52 PM
This might be digressing slightly form 'Modding'...Yep :off topic: :lol:

weefossy
6th March 2013, 12:56 PM
Off topic.....but still true

ELFMAN
6th March 2013, 01:07 PM
Yep :off topic: :lol:
This is a prime example of 'Modding' taken too far! :smilewinkgrin: There's a subtle difference between "Relevant" and :off topic:
But you've been in the States for a while, so subtlety might be a foreign concept :laugh::lol:

The Dogfather
6th March 2013, 01:18 PM
My point wasn't about road driving as John was talking about driving on the track. However, to finish first you do have to finish, even on the track.

As for roads, I used to drive quick but I hope that I always drove within the limits of what was safe. Recently I've started to drive a lot slower though, maybe its the van that's had an effect. Its just not the same drifting a 3 tonne motorhome across a slippery roundabout, usually because something falls out of a cupboard or a dog slides into the fridge.

ELFMAN
6th March 2013, 01:43 PM
Its just not the same drifting a 3 tonne motorhome across a slippery roundabout, usually because something falls out of a cupboard or a dog slides into the fridge.

Now THAT I'd like to see! :thumbs up: Dog in the fridge is a sure-fire YouTube hit!

Def :off topic: this time Alan! Sorry :hand:
Enough of Driving Skills and Cool Pets - Back to the 'Mod or Not' topic folks! :yes nod:

john
6th March 2013, 01:47 PM
I agree with Elfman, to a degree, but I referred to being held up while driving the one seven by a JCW S and I was not pushing hard, a one seven is probably like having an Astra and a JCW is a modded car, in that instance he could have save a fortune on a JCW kit, insurance, fuel, and just learned to drive it better and woul probably have enjoyed it more.

For the record, Yes I did used to drive too quick on the road, but I never took risks and always read the road well ahead, Brian once caused me of going over a blind crest without knowing if there was traffic, I took him back there and showed him how I read the road, ( maybe a bad thing as he is now quicker too, but it was a valuable lesson for him).
after my minis I bought an Evo FQ340, blinding quick, amazing to drive but boring, I found that to making it as exciting as a mini it had to be pushed to the limits, I was not prepared to kill myself or others finding the limits and I sold it within two weeks.

i now drive a diesel Nissan Note, I get 60 MPG and get my kicks on the PS3

The Dogfather
6th March 2013, 02:51 PM
Isn't it James May that says a Fiat Panda is the most fun to drive because you can get it to its limits during normal road driving as its got skinny tyres and rolls a lot.

John, I agree with you about cars that have such high performance levels that they become boring. An example being my old TT, it was actually more fun when I stuck a set of skinnier tyres on it. You could actually feel what the car was doing and it slid about a lot more, but compared to the MINI it still required silly speeds to 'push it' and that's not something you could do on the roads safely. The MINI was more fun.

Perhaps, down-modding is the best thing to do.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, dog into the fridge, the door is closed so you just hear a sliding sound followed by a thump. Mind you if the door had been open he'd have loved it.

ELFMAN
6th March 2013, 03:15 PM
I think if you genuinely enjoy driving, you can get a kick out of pretty much anything - even my Mum's 14 year old 1.1 106 was OK, it had nothing to live up to, so constantly surprised when it delivered - not thrilling, but you can usually squeeze a bit of fun out of whatever you're driving if you adjust your expectations.

I've always modded my 'performance' cars, as I think they tend to be pretty good to start with and get you into 'the zone' where trying to 'highten the buzz' seems like the natural thing to do - "Hmmm be nice if it had a wee bit more top end... OK, now it's going a bit quicker the brakes could maybe do with less fade... now if I lower it a wee bit it'll sit better on the road..." and so it goes.

The MINI is a slightly different proposition from your 'normal' hatchback, as it's such a nice car to drive whatever version you have. A ONE probably goes just as well down a twisty road as a modded example of another make - so you can be perfectly happy with that. I kept my COOPER totally standard apart from an exhaust, and it was a FAB car which got me hooked on MINIs for the next 11 years (and counting). It was such a revelation and so new and different that it didn't need anything done to it to keep me amused for 2 years. I think you're either into modding your cars, or you're not, and either way is fine if it makes you happy (and skint!). After 'getting used to' MINIs, I reckon I modded my R53 and My current R56 because it's just the way I am - it's like an illness, I can't help myself! I promised my dear Mum I wouldn't touch the R56 (she passed away just 3 weeks after I got it) - so she's probably looking down on me now saying "It's OK Euan, I knew you'd do it anyway!" Honest Mum, I'm trying to stop - the car's just about perfect! :smilewinkgrin:

Crombers
6th March 2013, 04:08 PM
Loose screws & dogs in fridges, the last couple of pages have been brilliantly informative :laugh:,
keep it coming :thumbs up:
Remembering my 1997 106 (cheers Elfmeister) that I owned for 6 months prior to picking up the Cooper. I could pretty much take that to my limits & what a rewarding drive it was. Could hardly believe it was a 1.1, it just seemed to want to give more :yes nod:

The Dogfather
6th March 2013, 04:16 PM
All this thread is missing now is the Crombers - a well driven Cooper blah, blah, blah on the Cullen Run, blah blah blah .... keep up with Coopers Ss blah, ...... etc ;)

Crombers
6th March 2013, 04:40 PM
All this thread is missing now is the Crombers - a well driven Cooper blah, blah, blah on the Cullen Run, blah blah blah .... keep up with Coopers Ss blah, ...... etc ;)

OK then, a well driven Cooper is as ......................... yah wee sh! :thumbs up:

I bet however that some of your best moments were in your Cooper whilst mixing it with far pokier company, I know that cos I was there & you told me so ............... :moonie: ;)

weefossy
6th March 2013, 04:45 PM
Aye he loves his R50 Cooper blah blah blah,................. but he didn't half have a grin on his face exiting a WC50 after a blast down Glenshee :thumbs up:

Crombers
6th March 2013, 04:53 PM
Aye he loves his R50 Cooper blah blah blah,................. but he didn't half have a grin on his face exiting a WC50 after a blast down Glenshee :thumbs up:

Aw man, shoooooooooosht Malcolm ................... can we just keep that to ourselves ............... say no more & no one will be any the wiser :thumbs up:

WHAT A CAR!! ............. can still smile to this day .............. the ultimate MINI :thumbs up: .............. apart from mine :rolleyes:

ELFMAN
6th March 2013, 05:36 PM
And Mine! :smilewinkgrin:

john
6th March 2013, 05:55 PM
Getting back to mods, I remember one buffoon converting a mini to Gas with a heavy tank that filled the tiny boot, when I questioned his motives he told me how much he would save compared to the cost over ( I think 3 years) then sold the car soon after LOL

i dd not mention any names :)

MINIme:)
6th March 2013, 06:29 PM
BTW, dog into the fridge, the door is closed so you just hear a sliding sound followed by a thump. Mind you if the door had been open he'd have loved it.

A wee zig zaggy bit of road and the dog's in there :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
6th March 2013, 06:52 PM
Fascinating thread. Would be quite funny if original poster d.oxley posted to the thread to simply say he was wondering whether or not to fit bonnet stripes. :lol:

AndyP & Lenore
6th March 2013, 06:53 PM
i now drive a diesel Nissan Note, I get 60 MPG and get my kicks on the PS3

Love it. :lol:

GreigJCW
6th March 2013, 06:55 PM
Fascinating thread. Would be quite funny if original poster d.oxley posted to the thread to simply say he was wondering whether or not to fit bonnet stripes. :lol:

Brilliant. Lol

Crombers
6th March 2013, 09:40 PM
Getting back to mods, I remember one buffoon converting a mini to Gas with a heavy tank that filled the tiny boot, when I questioned his motives he told me how much he would save compared to the cost over ( I think 3 years) then sold the car soon after LOL

Let me think ............................ what kind of bad dog would do that to a mini, what a dogfather :Whistle:

Big Col
6th March 2013, 10:26 PM
i now drive a diesel Nissan Note, I get 60 MPG and get my kicks on the PS3.

Sig Line : Brave men may not live forever,but cautious men do not live at all.

:Whistle:

AndyP & Lenore
6th March 2013, 10:33 PM
i now drive a diesel Nissan Note, I get 60 MPG and get my kicks on the PS3.

Sig Line : Brave men may not live forever,but cautious men do not live at all.

:Whistle:

:lol:

Quite a juxtaposition there. :lol:

john
6th March 2013, 11:25 PM
:lol:

Quite a juxtaposition there. :lol:

i have been brave on many occasions, and will be again but for now this old man is having a wee rest :)
pi still have the TR :)

The Dogfather
7th March 2013, 12:03 AM

I wish I still had it, got tempted by RWD roadster though. It did the equivalent to 55mpg but still sounded and drove like a petrol.

The boot on a MINI is a waste of space anyway. Not even enough space for a box of donuts. <thread crossover>