PDA

View Full Version : Protectin' da paint.

Big Col
27th February 2013, 01:59 PM
H'ok. The new motor will be getting collected shortly and I've asked the dealer to do hee haw to it as I'll do it mesel. I had been intending to apply the supagard coating that I have, however, thought I might as well ask you gee...eh...knowledgeable people if I should opt for summat else? :confused:

Gismo
27th February 2013, 02:11 PM
Ooh, let's see, hmm, yep, got it, gritty sponge and fairy liquid and defo the one bucket method :thumbs up:
My work here is done, another satisfied customer

stoney
27th February 2013, 02:33 PM
^^^^^ Pmsl

Sorry no help :) Ian king is your best man to ask

AndyP & Lenore
27th February 2013, 06:32 PM
Supaguard... Nooooooooo!!!!

Give the paintwork a good cleanse, then a couple of coats of good quality wax.

I guess the more astute detailers may have more detailed advice but, please, no supaguard.

I used to swear by the stuff, but with the support of the MINI community I've seen the error of my ways. I'm a new man. :D

Tam1314
27th February 2013, 07:52 PM
What is so wrong with Supaguard that everyone hates it so much.
I am just really getting into cleaning my car, it's the first car I have had that I have been interested in enough to bother about in a detailing way.

Just I think that my car will have Supaguard applied. So if its that bad, is it easy to remove.

Big Col
28th February 2013, 09:22 PM
Where is Mr. King hiding then?

AndyP & Lenore
28th February 2013, 11:19 PM
What is so wrong with Supaguard that everyone hates it so much.
I am just really getting into cleaning my car, it's the first car I have had that I have been interested in enough to bother about in a detailing way.

Just I think that my car will have Supaguard applied. So if its that bad, is it easy to remove.

Tam, if you've done anything other than use Supaguard's shampoo, and done anything other than their monthly conserver treatment - it's gone already. If you've waxed it or polished it or even used a waxy shampoo, it's very likely gone already. Supaguard is simply a polymer based coating - microns thick - and to be honest, even after a year or so of simply washing the car - I can't see it still being on the car's paintwork.

Gismo
1st March 2013, 04:53 AM
My lease car is "protected" with supaguard, because i can be penalised for returning it with defective paint after the 3 year term you can insure against it, which i did, their treatment is supaguard :lol: gone by now in the rain, certainly not by washing and no come back on me.................watch this space

stoney
1st March 2013, 09:06 AM
Right a bit more time now

I would foam the car then wash the car with some G101 autosmart or similar it's a de greaser
Then iron ex or similar
Foam ,wash and dry
Then polish
Foam and dry
Wax couple coats

Hope this helps :)

N16SHP
3rd March 2013, 09:19 PM
Everyone has their own methods that work for them, I don't have a foam wash so already I am beaten by Stoney :D

For our Countryman:

Like you I asked them not to touch it. Washed it, then stripped all the wax etc with APC. Washed it again and dried it. Clayed it, then washed it and dried. Then put on Megs show glaze No 7 as recommended by Mr King (great stuff) then covered with two coats of Collinite 476. Washed it twice since we got it and had it up and down to Glasgow and Perth twice and the beading is absolutely incredible still! I washed it for the 3rd time yesterday and got some great comments (for a change) from the neighbours.

Big Col
4th March 2013, 08:31 AM
It sounds like the Collonite would last for donkeys which sounds like it might be just the stuff for me. I was going to go for poorboys black hole glaze but will take a look at Meg's #7 if it's that highly recommended.

Craig
4th March 2013, 09:11 AM
Collinite lasts for months. When I had my Punto, I waxed it a day after getting it. Washed it weekly and after a year it was still beading !! ;)

N16SHP
4th March 2013, 10:14 AM
It sounds like the Collonite would last for donkeys which sounds like it might be just the stuff for me. I was going to go for poorboys black hole glaze but will take a look at Meg's #7 if it's that highly recommended.

I've got Blackhole too. I used it on my Cooper S, there are a few pics in my gallery thread with me using it. Both are good but for working on new paint I prefer the Show Glaze. Each to their own though!

EDIT

Here is a pic of the blackhole with Natty's Paste on top:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4035/4359803780_69ff1e8c95_b.jpg

Big Col
4th March 2013, 11:46 AM
Ya see that looks pretty damn shiny to me with deep reflections and a well wet look bruv! I think I might just go for the poorboys.

Gismo
4th March 2013, 11:53 AM
Here is a pic of the blackhole with Natty's Paste on top:I can't see it, what kind of bottle is it in :Whistle:

Big Col
12th March 2013, 12:21 PM
Does anyone on here have Matt Vinyl Stripes applied? If so can I apply poorboy's Black Hole Glaze then a wax onto them or will this make them more gloss? Or is that a really stoopid question?