PDA

View Full Version : Removing power steering pump (2001 Cooper)

spartacus 68
25th February 2013, 08:38 AM
Hi folks

I'm repairing my brother's Mini Cooper. It's a 2001 model, and as been off the road for the last 6 months because the power steering pump is goosed. I've read it's a common fault, and more than likely the carbon brushes are worn out. I'm helping him labour wise to save cash. I know Mini are aware of fault - but car hasn't been serviced by them for years and I'm not getting into protracted scenario and goodwill nonsense. Besides MOT is out and nearest Mini garage is 10 miles away!

We raised the car at the weekend to get under it (not a four poster - I wish!) anyway, drained fluid, released hi and lo rubber pipe connections and both electrical connections, but I cannot for the life of me remove the pump. Typical bleeding Germans - make it as difficult as possible! Does the subframe have to drop slightly or I've read the the power steering cradle can be cut slightly with a Dremel to aid access?

Any answers greatly appreciated. :thumbs up:

ianking
25th February 2013, 10:29 PM
I have done one but as it happens the front sub frame was out as I was changing a clutch at the same time.
Im pretty sure there was a circular bracket that held the pump to the sub frame. I'm sure the job inc bleeding the system after should only take about an hour so I doubt the sub frame needs to be dropped. I could look under an R50 that I have in bits in the garage tomorrow and let you know.

spartacus 68
25th February 2013, 10:54 PM
I have done one but as it happens the front sub frame was out as I was changing a clutch at the same time.
Im pretty sure there was a circular bracket that held the pump to the sub frame. I'm sure the job inc bleeding the system after should only take about an hour so I doubt the sub frame needs to be dropped. I could look under an R50 that I have in bits in the garage tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks ianking

With the subframe out it would a simple job. The steering pump bracket extends out over the welded engine plate (I'm assuming that's what it is), and what restricts movement is the running gear for the steering assembly drive shafts, etc.

I've drained the system, removed the reservoir and all piping including both electrical connections. I've moved the pump to the left to try and rotate it out, but I'm on my back and clearance is tight to say the least.

Assuming I need to drop the subframe slightly, how is this done? Please don't tell me the tie rods needs to be disconnected, etc!

I'm more used to working on V6 diesel Audis so if I can return the favour I will. I can get pictures at the weekend if need be. :thumbs up:

ianking
27th February 2013, 09:29 AM
I totally forgot to check this but can tonight for you.

If you want to drop the rear of the subframe only then why not undo the subframe mounts at the rear end and lower it slightly on a trolley jack. You might only need to drop it an inch to get the pump motor out.

spartacus 68
27th February 2013, 12:13 PM
I totally forgot to check this but can tonight for you.

If you want to drop the rear of the subframe only then why not undo the subframe mounts at the rear end and lower it slightly on a trolley jack. You might only need to drop it an inch to get the pump motor out.

Thanks for getting back to me. But I think I've worked out how it comes out. The steering pump bracket can be removed. Some people refer to undoing 13mm nut (and then cutting a slot) with a Dremel to aid removal so the carrier or bracket can slide out. I thought the bracket was welded in place - not realising it can come out too. A long handled flathead screwdriver should provide enough leverage to shift it. :thumbs up:

ianking
27th February 2013, 01:09 PM
Yeah I didn't think the subframe would need to come out just for the steering pump

spartacus 68
3rd March 2013, 05:59 PM
Yeah I didn't think the subframe would need to come out just for the steering pump

Would have been easier! Quick update. The carrier on the first generation 2001 Cooper is held in place with three 13mm nuts. The first one is seen from below securing the pump to the carrier. The other two can be accessed behind the engine brace or sump plate (assuming that's what it's called). Absolute sod of a job. Pump now off to be refurbished. I was tempted to strip it down, but given how much work it is to remove it - it makes sense to get it refurbished professionally. :thumbs up:

stoney
4th March 2013, 08:31 AM
Glad it getting sorted

S7JGW
26th March 2013, 08:17 AM
Probably way too late but when i changed mine i had to notch the subframe (remember to touch up with paint the bare metal) to get the pump in / out.
James