PDA

View Full Version : Trolley Jack and Jacking Points

gauldrymini
19th February 2013, 04:41 PM
Meant to ask this ages ago...when using a trolley jack do folk use it on the pinch welds (jacking points) for the "widow maker" scissor jack that is supplied with your car?

I ask as when changing on to my winter wheels last year, all was going well using the pinch welds, until the last one where it is now not as straight as it once was :ragin:

If you don't use the pinch welds where do you locate the trolley jack?

Cheers
Andrew

Craig
19th February 2013, 04:46 PM
I've Always used those pinch welds as that's where the manufacturer jack goes so its been reinforced to suit :confused:

gauldrymini
19th February 2013, 05:07 PM
I've Always used those pinch welds as that's where the manufacturer jack goes so its been reinforced to suit :confused:

...was my thought too until said weld seemed to be less...strong:rolleyes:

Crombers
19th February 2013, 05:30 PM

& on how many cars have you used a trolly jack :rolleyes: ..........

........... I'll pick a window, eh !!!!!!! :Whistle:

Craig
19th February 2013, 05:56 PM
Loads Mr C ;)

AndyP & Lenore
19th February 2013, 06:14 PM
Always used the pinch welds too. Doesn't sound right that the weld wasn't strong enough to hold though. Trouble is, when you use a trolley jack the lifting plate is flat whereas the pinch weld is, well not flat, so I guess there could be undue strain on the weld using a flat plate as opposed to the V shaped grip provided with the proper jack. Hmmmm.:confused::confused:

A.

Craig
19th February 2013, 06:38 PM
ITs never been in the past Andy... I think a bad weld tbh

AndyP & Lenore
19th February 2013, 06:46 PM
ITs never been in the past Andy... I think a bad weld tbh

From MINI? Never. :moonie:

A.

stoney
19th February 2013, 07:25 PM
I just use the orange blocks :lol: sorry I'm no use :lol:

MINI William
19th February 2013, 07:38 PM
Always used a trolly jack upon the pinch welds (jacking points). Also far safer

jonnie
19th February 2013, 08:40 PM
As everyone else I've always used a trolley jack on the jacking points and had no problems.