PDA

View Full Version : Malt Whisky Tour - Cast your vote and pick a route

The Dogfather
16th August 2004, 05:52 AM
I noticed on the events page that there was a distillery tour listed but as yet no one had taken upon themselves to suggest a route. So I worked out a couple of potential routes both of which include a blast down the west coast. Both routes are quite epic, one taking 3 days and the other 4, the last day on each involves spending a whole day on Islay.

Given the fact that I’m a bit of a whisky fan I’m willing to organise the trip but which one?

Route 1 – Classic Malts Tour – 4 Days and 600 + miles

Based around visiting each of the ‘Classic Malts’ from each of the whisky regions. Distilleries visited: - Glenkinchie, Dalwhinnie, Cragganmore, Talisker, Oban and Lagavullin

Day 1 - Starting at the Glenkinichie Distillery south of Edinburgh travelling up to Dalwhinnie onto Cragganmore with an overnight stay on Speyside.

Day 2 - Then across to the Talisker Distillery on Skye staying overnight in Portree.

Day 3 – A west coast blast down to Oban Distillery and across to Islay by ferry visiting the Lagavulin Distillery.

Day 4 – A day on Islay exploring the island and its distilleries.

Route 2 – Royal Lochnagar, Glenlivet, Glen Ord, Talisker, Oban and Islay Distilleries.

Day 1- Starting in Aberdeen down the Deeside Road to the Royal Lochnagar Distillery near Balmoral then on to Glenlivet, Glen Ord and across to Skye for an overnight stay.
Day 2 – Leaving Skye blasting down the west coast to the Oban Distillery and across to Islay.
Day 3 – A day on Islay exploring the island and its distilleries.

Cast your vote route one or route two.

Duncan Stewart
16th August 2004, 04:54 PM
I'm up for either Paul. Both sound great. Excellent work.

minidriver#1
18th August 2004, 07:09 AM
this sounds like a good run, and educational too. i like runs like these. Skye is beautiful, and last time around i missed seeing a stag so this time would be nice.

Willie M
18th August 2004, 03:37 PM
Great idea for a run Paul.
It would depend on work commitments at the time but you can count me as a definite maybe :cool: Either option.

MartinSullivan
18th August 2004, 04:08 PM
Both routes sounds great, count me in as a definite maybe for either

Julz
18th August 2004, 05:24 PM
I'd be up for either, but may have to give Islay a miss, don't think ferries and my car will get along!!:(;):approve:

The Dogfather
18th August 2004, 06:14 PM
Julz, perhaps you can cadge a lift over! We'd have to sort out some secure parking for Millie though.

Julz
18th August 2004, 06:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

We'd have to sort out some secure parking for Millie though.

LOL, Millie is my baby cat!! Also, Mili is Bonnie Scotlands car, mine goes by the name of BabyB, J-Lo, Bubble or Experiment 626!!;):D

Steve74
18th August 2004, 08:58 PM
I'd be interested in either, depending one the dates.:D

The Dogfather
18th August 2004, 09:36 PM
Julz - Oops! I'll get me coat!

Crombers
20th August 2004, 01:57 AM
I work in the industry and we (Allied Domecq) own Laphroaig Distillery on Islay. Don,t know what the position is regarding visits but if I can help in any way I will.
This run souns fab & I would be right up for this.

The Dogfather
20th August 2004, 03:36 AM
Allan - Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it

Allied make two of my top ten whiskies - Glendronach (nearest distillery to me in Turriff) and Laphroaig. I know that Glendronnach does tours but I think that these are by special arrangement only, so Laphroaig is probably the same. Mind you from the discription the distillery sounds pretty special and probably worth a visit.

Are you based at the Inverleven distillery?

Crombers
20th August 2004, 09:02 PM
Paul,
I work at the Kilmalid plant which can be seen from the dual carriage way on the way from Dumbarton to Loch Lomond. Inverleven is sadly now closed and in the very near future the whole 'red brick' complex will be demolished to make way for (wait for it) new flats.
Yup Glendronach , especially the one matured in sherry wood & the Laphroaig 15 Year Old are my fav's (but then again i'm biased).
Laphroaig is a must to see even if you don,t get a tour. I could however contact the distillery nearer the time to see what they could offer.

weefossy
27th August 2004, 04:36 AM
sounds good, put us down subject to dates.

The Dogfather
19th September 2004, 04:06 AM
Putting this on hold for awhile as I've got another idea for a run which I'd rather do! See link to new run!

Twlight Run! (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2710)