PDA

View Full Version : I'm Not "Entirely New"....

Smitty
10th February 2013, 07:14 PM
Hi Everyone

Some of you might remember me from before...I was previously just "Smitty" and this was my MINI: Smitty's Pure Silver R50 Cooper (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?15282-Smitty-s-Pure-Silver-R50-Cooper/page1)

Fantastic to see that the site and the club is still going strong with plenty of old familiar names and faces and lots of new MINI owners too :thumbs up:

Unfortunately, my MINI and I parted company overt two years ago. It was a sad day but we just fell out of love with each other. His boot was too small, he didn't like bumpy farm tracks and fields and wasn't a fan of the word "economical". He didn't get driven the way he should either...the roads down south just aren't fun like in Scotland. He was also starting to leak and creak and it was just time to move on. Still, we had great times together and one day...I'll be a MINI owner again.

Now I drive a rather beautiful Alfa Romeo Guiletta in Alfa Red of course. And no, it hasn't broken down yet!!! For what it lacks in "fun" over the MINI, it makes up for in charisma, class, comfort and torque...and it does 65mpg :D

I'm back for a little bit as I'm having a clear out and got a few old MINI bits I'd like to pass on to a new home. Rather than go down the eBay option - I thought I would try on here first as I was lucky enough to pick up a few bargains from fellow members during my MINI ownership, so I want to repay the favour.

And mods....sorry, I couldn't get my old user name to work, despite multiple password reset requests, hence the new profile.

Cheers

Smitty (Martin)

Gismo
10th February 2013, 07:41 PM
Hi Smitty, good to see you back even though you are selling off items, no worries there, the problem with your old account is that the e-mail address assciated with it is not working.
I can reset your password if you like, just PM the word you want to use

Craig
10th February 2013, 07:50 PM
Welcome Back Sir :thumbs up:

Smitty
10th February 2013, 08:05 PM
Welcome Back Sir :thumbs up:

Cheers Craig - I spotted you now have a GP. Very nice!! :D

Craig
10th February 2013, 08:07 PM
Cheers Craig - I spotted you now have a GP. Very nice!! :D

Yeah, only had it about 5 months so not used much yet - itchin for the summer ;)

Crombers
10th February 2013, 09:27 PM
Hey bro, hope yer MINI went to a good family.
Sorry to hear you guys parted, it was good to see our 2 cars together at Silverstone a few years back :thumbs up:

The Dogfather
10th February 2013, 10:27 PM
I looked at an Alfa Guiletta but I couldn’t get one with the fuel economy and warranty within my budget ended up with an Astra CDTI instead which I believe shares its engine with the Alfa JTDs.

The Alfa is a much more striking car.

Smitty
10th February 2013, 10:49 PM
It was traded in Crombers, got a very good deal for him and I can but hope that someone is now taking good care of him!

Good to see your R50 Cooper lives strong....the best MINI ever made I'd say ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I looked at an Alfa Guiletta but I couldn’t get one with the fuel economy and warranty within my budget ended up with an Astra CDTI instead which I believe shares its engine with the Alfa JTDs.

I'm not sure, but if it is the same engine then you'll probably agree that it's a mighty fine chugga boom engine! Went for the 170bhp JTDi version....and when put in "D" mode of the Alfa's DNA system it fairly shifts.

Doesn't have the fun of the MINI round roundabouts mind you!!