PDA

View Full Version : Snow Foam

Big Col
26th January 2013, 11:06 PM
Right folks looking for a bit of advice. What's the Hampden roar with snow foam lances on pressure washers? Do they do away with the need to scrub every wash, are they just kinder to paint but the ol' 2 bucket method is require? Basically, if not a paint obsessive is it worth coughing up the dosh for a pressure washer or do they not really save that much effort?

:scratch:

Craig
26th January 2013, 11:46 PM
I use snow foam with a lance and pressure washer. If you don't care that much about your paintwork, I'd say it was a waste of money.

In summer, I use it as a pre-wash to get most of the dirt off the car before the 2 bucket method ;)

In winter, I just snow foam and pressure wash to clean my cars - no mitt used so as not to scratch the car.

Hope this helps ;)

Gismo
27th January 2013, 04:42 AM
Nah, 1 bucket method, fairy liquid and a sponge :thumbs up:

stoney
27th January 2013, 09:54 AM
More or less what Craig said ;)

G17RDY
27th January 2013, 10:18 AM
I've been thinking about this myself, looked at buying:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/snow-foam-lance-various-fittings/prod_371.html

With:
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/car-wash-shampoos/meguiars-hyper-wash/prod_326.html

The Meguiars seems expensive against the others (£30 vs £15) - But i'm drawn to the name, i really like Meguiars products, so i'm going with what i know, unless anyone has any other suggestions??

Craig
27th January 2013, 11:33 AM
I use Autosmart Actimousse XLS and it's the best I've used ;). Doesn't come out like shaving foam but does clean very well :thumbs up:

Stewart
27th January 2013, 03:35 PM
The pressure washer is a given it has to be said. The foam Lance an added bonus.

Where are you in Glasgow?

Big Col
27th January 2013, 04:56 PM
See the foam then pressure wash in the winter is what I'm tempted by since my new car is going to be black so the fear of swirls is growing already. Gizmo's penchant for a manly manky motor remains strong I see. :smilewinkgrin:

Im in Aberdeen 90% of my time now Stewart. Need to update my profile.

My other question is does anyone think the dealer applied Autoglym treatment is any cop?

Craig
27th January 2013, 05:40 PM
Not worth the money Col for the dealer applied stuff. Much better taking it home and giving it a good polish and couple of coats of good wax yourself ;)

Stewart
27th January 2013, 07:03 PM
I may be being unkind to the Dealer here but that sounds like just someone cracking open the AG and giving the car polish for a hefty charge. Got to emit I love doing the car, totally chilled relaxed out the front in my own wee world. Only thing is at this time of year washing is tricky let alone getting some polish and wax on the car.

Aaaa right! With that location I was going to say if you were local you could have a shot of my PW and lance.

So saying as your back in here - When is the MINI arriving?:smilewinkgrin:

N16SHP
27th January 2013, 08:15 PM
Not worth the money Col for the dealer applied stuff. Much better taking it home and giving it a good polish and couple of coats of good wax yourself ;)

What Craig said. I picked up my new Countryman on Friday and told them under no circumstance touch the car when it comes in. Spent 5 hours on Saturday stripping it and putting my own stuff on. They tried to flog me the Superguard stuff, but I have to question a car care product that still has a sponge in it's care kit. Only thing I'd use a sponge for is to put my tyre gel on!

Mon the fish
27th January 2013, 08:16 PM
When you use snow foam, and see the dirt just running off the car before you've hosed it, it's totally worth it

N16SHP
27th January 2013, 08:20 PM
Oh, totally forgot about the snow-foam part! I wish I had one :(

LadyR
27th January 2013, 08:37 PM
Ahem Neil...photographic evidence?! Want to see this shiny new car of yours!

Big Col
27th January 2013, 10:24 PM
So saying as your back in here - When is the MINI arriving?:smilewinkgrin:

Oooooh check out the weegie poirot! 😁 Second week in March methinks but waiting for a delivery date. 😁

AndyP & Lenore
27th January 2013, 10:28 PM
I've been thinking about this myself, looked at buying:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/snow-foam-lance-various-fittings/prod_371.html

With:
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/car-wash-shampoos/meguiars-hyper-wash/prod_326.html

The Meguiars seems expensive against the others (£30 vs £15) - But i'm drawn to the name, i really like Meguiars products, so i'm going with what i know, unless anyone has any other suggestions??

That lance is the same one I've been using for about 4 years now. Still works a treat and it's used regularly over the winter months. Never used the Megs Hyperwash so can't comment on that. I used to use Super Snow Foam but recently I bought a few litres of the Auto Smart stuff from Craig. Works very well and although Craig doesn't seem to be getting a real foamy foam from it, I am. Very happy with lance and foam.

Col, to use the lance you'll need a half decent power washer. Or am I stating the bleedin' obvious? :blush:

A.

Crombers
27th January 2013, 11:29 PM
Oooooh check out the weegie poirot!  Second week in March methinks but waiting for a delivery date. 

& what size of variant have we opted for :rolleyes:

Big Col
28th January 2013, 08:30 AM
Col, to use the lance you'll need a half decent power washer. Or am I stating the bleedin' obvious? :blush:
A.

Always best to be sure I'm not being a dumplin' mate. :D On this occasion I wasn't being a plum though as it was really the cost of the pressure washer that is pushing this into the "is it worth it" box. :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

& what size of variant have we opted for :rolleyes:

We've opted for a Countryman so that we can fit the new pooch in it. Black SD All4 with far too many options ticked for my wallet to be at all happy with me! WOO HOO :thumbs up:

Big Col
28th January 2013, 12:06 PM
They tried to flog me the Superguard stuff, but I have to question a car care product that still has a sponge in it's care kit. Only thing I'd use a sponge for is to put my tyre gel on!
I would never get Supaguard again! I got it on my current Z4 but the dealer didn't do a great job of applying. When looking to arrange to get it reapplied it was getting to be a bit of a faff so the dealer said "Would you like us just to send you up the application kit?" Thanks very much says I! You can imagine my horror when a sponge arrived in the post. The instructions on the sponge read "Pierce internal pouch and apply product to vehicle" or similar, so basically the product is provided in a pouch inside a scratch provider for ease of application...horrifying!

Will be checking out how Autoglym product is applied first...

I should just have them deliver it to you Neil mate! :thumbs up::cool:

Stewart
28th January 2013, 04:37 PM
I've got the Hyperwash and use it for the touch wash, you will still get a foam but not to sure what it would be like. I've always just used the HW for just the bucket touch washing and always had a dedicated foam for the lance.

Tim at cleanyour car has always given great service.

N16SHP
28th January 2013, 05:44 PM
I should just have them deliver it to you Neil mate! :thumbs up::cool:

Always happy to help a fellow NMS'er if needed!

Craig
28th January 2013, 06:14 PM
I would say Col, take the car to an NMS'er, give them £100 to do it right for you (without the dealer prepping/Supaguarding it) and save yourself £200 :thumbs up:

That's what I would do, ;)

Big Col
28th January 2013, 06:43 PM
Always happy to help a fellow NMS'er if needed!
Awww cheers min. I was only kidding but you've proven yourself to be a thoroughly good egg! :D

In other news I've been admiring your MINI for a while! I pointed it out not long ago to the better half saying I liked the white stripes going into red on the roof. Then moaned about how manky m car looked next to yours. :)

N16SHP
28th January 2013, 06:59 PM
Awww cheers min. I was only kidding but you've proven yourself to be a thoroughly good egg! :D

In other news I've been admiring your MINI for a while! I pointed it out not long ago to the better half saying I liked the white stripes going into red on the roof. Then moaned about how manky m car looked next to yours. :)

Thanks! It was Greig Allan who did my stripes, and like Craig says, sling a fellow NMS'er some £££ and you'll save yourself some cash :D

Big Col
2nd February 2013, 07:53 PM
H'ok. It's decided that a pressure washer with snow foam is the way forward. Does anyone have any recommendations on the tippest toppiest pressure washer there is?

Craig
2nd February 2013, 08:32 PM
What's your budget Col? If your down around the cheaper end of the market, then Bosch or Nilfisk. The cheaper karchers are not very great quality. I went thro 2 of them in 3 years :(

Stewart
2nd February 2013, 08:40 PM
Just got a new Bosch here as it had to be able to handle the same fitments my old washer did. Think its around the safe 115 Bar pressure but it was still £120.

Last PW was one of those B&Q ones that used Bosch parts and lasted me about eight years. In the end it was only because I had to fight to get the fitments off and on that I got rid of it. It was still going strong but just got annoying to use after the bashing it had got over its life.

Just make sure the Fitment for the lance is the right one for the PW. :thumbs up:

Big Col
2nd February 2013, 09:46 PM
Budget I had in mind was about £200?

Craig
2nd February 2013, 10:05 PM
Yeah Col, id stick with the Bosch or Nilfisk ;)

Craig
2nd February 2013, 10:17 PM
Try here http://www.cleanstore.co.uk/products/productslistSub.asp?Main=Nilfisk-Pressure-Washers&sub=Nilfisk-Domestic-Pressure-Washers

I've used them before and had great service - good prices too ;)

Big Col
2nd February 2013, 11:41 PM
Try here http://www.cleanstore.co.uk/products/productslistSub.asp?Main=Nilfisk-Pressure-Washers&sub=Nilfisk-Domestic-Pressure-Washers

I've used them before and had great service - good prices too ;)

Ooh thanks for that link mate! They're much cheaper than where I was looking! :thumbs up:

I've just had a thought. I was intending to ask the dealer to not clean the car, however, I've already asked them to apply decals to it. I hope my paint isn't doomed! :sad:

Craig
2nd February 2013, 11:56 PM
Hmmm... Tough one. For me, I don't want the dealer to do anything with the paint or inside. Do the mechanical pdi but nothing else. ;)

I helped Greig with his new FJCW Clubman the day he got it and even tho the dealer didn't touch it, they still managed to scratch it, one scuff had to be machine polished out !!

If you've already asked them to put decals on, then they will have to prep it first ....

Stewart
3rd February 2013, 01:35 PM
Budget I had in mind was about £200?

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pa-foam-lance-md.jpg £45-50
http://www.detailedclean.co.uk/Handlers/Image.ashx?PId=379&TId=2 Autobrite MagiFoam 5 Litre £26
http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/public/17u8CuR70DPcgb0Wke-cGKb9AHSEMYht-tscaLrX3td73B1F5w1Zi-jUBSgCah8Hj9ArQ-UaRydKpuW9wBhzdz_m4pnsvcDcRTqUDV8G2K_C_LJMJffYhTq1 k-iNhj28j0N2bJRwtjQCgVrRcjKfsdPjMp6wEKNZySpK-BM_
Bosch Aquatak 115 Plus Electric Pressure Washer £120

Not saying there is any right or wrong brands etc but this is simply what I’ve got right now. Maybe try and get 1lt of the snow foam to try out.

After that I've got buckets with grit guards, Meg's Hyperwash, a Lambswool Wash Mitt and varioys outher stuff to boring to go into. :smilewinkgrin: like wee brush for my Alloys. Its not so bad if you buy over the years. My only criticism of the Bosch is it’s a extremely light unit so I have to keep that in mind as the older B&Q Mac washer weighed a ton but you were never going to tip it over. In saying that no that I have got used to it, it's nice not to shift a dead weight round the car.

Big Col
3rd February 2013, 05:01 PM
Thanks for that Stewart. You've raised another question for me though. Why have Meg's Hyperwash and the Autobrite? :confused:

Stewart
3rd February 2013, 05:56 PM
The AB stuff is strictly designed as a foam under pressure from the washer. If you put it in a bucket I don’t think you’d get any real Suds what so ever. The Hyperwash suds up easy and is more geared for the touch Bucket wash.

See like you I started out without the PW. I ran the hose from a tap inside the house etc. ( Got a tap fitted at the front now we have the drive and power too) Anyway I got the following before all the PW and snow foam malarkey and still use it as my Touch wash. Rather than the much talked about two buckets I have clean suds every time.

I PW the car down then Snow foam and leave it while I clean the Alloys. By the time I’ve given the Allys a going over its time to PW Rinse what’s left of the foam.

Then its on to the touch washing with the wool mit.
One Bucket with warn clean water and the Gill with the HW in it runing just off just standard water tap pressure. It works well with clean Suds from the gill on the area and over with the mit, occasionally rinsing the mitt in the bucket. Plus the dilute rate on the HW is something silly so lasts for years, may as well keep using it

Gilmour Foamaster II
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/images/uploads/watermarked/gilmour-foam-gun.jpg
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/php/image.php/image.jpg?width=360&image=/images/uploads/watermarked/G408B.jpg

Sounds bonkers but hay you’ve got to have a vice and I don’t smoke, gamble and touch about six budwisers a year so I go overboard on the cleaning.
:smilewinkgrin:

Big Col
3rd February 2013, 06:21 PM
I've actually already got the gilmour I already and use that in place of the soap bucket already. :smilewinkgrin: I've bought a Nilfisk so foam lance and snowfoam are next. It's confusing this lot as polished bliss appear to use hyper wash for their snow foaming. Sore head!

gauldrymini
4th February 2013, 10:55 AM
...I have used Megs Hyperwash in my foam lance with a Nilfisk (£60 basic version) and you do get that nice snow foam look:snow:, but I think the cleaning ability is not as good as Valet Pro Advanced pH Neutral Snow Foam. However the VP ANSF seems to work much better as a pre-wash in a pump sprayer and after rinsing off will remove most of the muck...but it is not a "touch-less" finish.

stoney
4th February 2013, 08:32 PM
There are meany different foams you can get I am going to pick up some chemical guys no touch stuff 2morow ;)

Big Col
4th February 2013, 09:31 PM
<massages temples> you guys are doing this on purpose!

Craig
4th February 2013, 10:13 PM
I've tried many snow foams, but the best for cleaning that I have found (and that's what it's for, NOT just to look good) is Autosmart Actimousse XLS ;)

stoney
5th February 2013, 08:52 AM
I've tried many snow foams, but the best for cleaning that I have found (and that's what it's for, NOT just to look good) is Autosmart Actimousse XLS ;)

I have that as well but no over impressed tbh seems to strip wax ect even on a small dilution don't mind using it for work van that needs doing 1 a week cos i have loads of it if any one wants some to try then give me a shout sure we can sort something out :)

stoney
5th February 2013, 08:53 AM
<massages temples> you guys are doing this on purpose!

It's all about trail try different ones and see what you are happy with :)

Stewart
5th February 2013, 12:56 PM
See that was my impression of the Autosmart Actimousse that it was more a stronger TFR. Although I suppose if it still beads like mad after use there must be the wax etc left on the car. For doing your Van like you say its would be spot on being stronger.

End of the day I’m happy with the Foam I use as it takes off what I consider acceptable and when I go over it with my Mitt the car is spot on. Proof is in the pudding that my black roof is still not to bad for swirls at all. The only disappointment is my Alloys have shown some small erosion around the valves and I would have loved to have protected them each year, but still the car is over five years old and not garaged.

Gismo
5th February 2013, 03:54 PM
Hmm, 5 pages about snow foam, i'm obviously in the wrong place :Whistle:

stoney
5th February 2013, 06:21 PM

Get out :lol: your mankyness are not welcome here

Craig
5th February 2013, 06:35 PM
Get out :lol: your mankyness are not welcome here

:lol: - you tell him Rob !

stoney
6th February 2013, 07:06 PM
Was waiting a whitty reply off the boss man ;) :lol: must be all that heat making him slow in his old age :D ;) .............

Craig
6th February 2013, 07:51 PM
Was waiting a whitty reply off the boss man ;) :lol: must be all that heat making him slow in his old age :D ;) .............

Ha ha !! :lol:

ELFMAN
9th February 2013, 12:54 AM

"There's no Business like Snow Business!" :dance::dance::dance:

Big Col
9th February 2013, 07:24 PM
Just gave the snow foam a trial run on the X5. Gotta say I'm impressed. It's looking pretty clean despite the fact the mank has had a fair few months to bake on there. Even got a really good deal on the lance on detailing world. All in all a happy camper. :thumbs up:

Craig
9th February 2013, 07:30 PM
Good news Col - what foam did you go for??

You were on detailing world??? Whit, Crombers and Alan will never speak to you again !! :lol:

Stewart
9th February 2013, 08:27 PM
Next you’ll be taking pictures of it covered in foam…:Whistle:

http://img.youtube.com/vi/BQvvyGoHDkc/0.jpg

The high Heels and Dress are Optional :smilewinkgrin:

Glad you thought it was worth while and go on you enjoyed it a little:hand:

Gismo
9th February 2013, 08:33 PM
Another loss to the clean brigade :sad:

Big Col
9th February 2013, 09:37 PM
The deal on detailing world gave 500ml of super snow foam or magifoam free. Went for the magifoam and I was impressed with it. Stuff stayed on there for ages and the X5 really is looking excellent which I'm actually pretty surprised at since I was only cleaning it to play. :smilewinkgrin: Didn't expect the results to be as good as they are since I really haven't washed it in 6 months (don't worry Gismo as the 6 months demonstrates, it'll take more than one wash to win me over). That being said, job was done start to finish in 45 mins, and that was with 20 mins soaking time so I can see me doing that every Sunday if it keeps both motors looking tip top. It also is good fun! :thumbs up:

I even had an audience as the folks across the road were intrigued at how an X5 had disappeared under a mound of bubbles. :D

Re Snow Foam I'm going to be going for Auto Finesse Avalanche when the free stuff runs out since it sounds like it would do a better job getting rid of gunk that's went through a few wet then dry bake on cycles that is likely to happen when I fail to stick to my new Sunday ritual. :cool:

Crombers
10th February 2013, 02:52 AM
:thud::thud::thud:

stoney
10th February 2013, 08:51 AM
Good stuff it's good to foam I'm going to give my chemical guys stuff a go as soon as my back is better :)

ELFMAN
14th February 2013, 01:47 PM
Good stuff it's good to foam I'm going to give my chemical guys stuff a go as soon as my back is better :)

What's up with your back Rob - you been Pole Dancing at weekends again? :Whistle:

Back on topic: Silly question here - - do you DILUTE the Snow Foam stuff, or use it neat? :confused:
I'm just about getting organised to buy a lance and suds (had to verify the type of connector for my 'Lidl' washer - it's apparently a 'Lavor' one).
That's obviously the only bleedin' 'Lavor' I'm going to get on Valentine's Day :kiss: :sadangel:

- - - Updated - - -

Next you’ll be taking pictures of it covered in foam…:Whistle:

http://img.youtube.com/vi/BQvvyGoHDkc/0.jpg

The high Heels and Dress are Optional :smilewinkgrin:

I tried this too... but I fell off my heels and bruised my ego :sad:

Craig
14th February 2013, 01:48 PM
Depends on The individual snow foam tbh, but generally about an inch or so of foam in the bottom of a 1 ltr bottle filled up with warm water ;)

ELFMAN
14th February 2013, 03:07 PM
Depends on The individual snow foam tbh, but generally about an inch or so of foam in the bottom of a 1 ltr bottle filled up with warm water ;)

Thanks Craig, that's reassuring - it would've been quite expensive if it was used neat! :phew: (sound of wallet creaking open and huge moths in flight...)

stoney
14th February 2013, 06:17 PM
100ml of the chemical guys stuff :)

Stewart
14th February 2013, 07:12 PM
Just a pity it was not the Bosch fitment, you’d have been more than welcome to try my lance.

Big Col
14th February 2013, 08:10 PM
The stuff I got has a 200:1 and gave a really thick clinging foam. Pure top foamin! ;)

G17RDY
14th February 2013, 09:09 PM
After scouring the internet and looking at numerous foam lances, i stumbled across a Karcher branded foam lance for £12 and Valetpro snow foam for £13 - Whilst this might not be the best, i'm going to give it a go, for sub £30 it is sure a lot kinder to my bank balance than the £85 i was going to spend on the other items i had selected from Clean your car.com - I'll let you all know how it goes!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190785116451?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110938441550?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Big Col
14th February 2013, 09:28 PM
You should check out detailing world G17. They got a good group buy going on.

G17RDY
14th February 2013, 09:37 PM
You should check out detailing world G17. They got a good group buy going on.

Thanks Col, that is a great deal.

If the stuff i ordered doesn't work out, i'm going for that one, even if i have to buy two lances, i've lost a total of £12 for the Karcher one, and still less overall than the two items for £85 i originally had planned to buy.

ELFMAN
14th February 2013, 09:38 PM
you’d have been more than welcome to try my lance.

4007[

Stewart
14th February 2013, 11:26 PM
Oh dear I did not scan that with Elfscope before I posted. :smilewinkgrin:

G17RDY be interesting how you get on with that!

gauldrymini
14th February 2013, 11:36 PM
The VP advanced snow foam will work just as well as a pre wash in a pump sprayer ;)

ELFMAN
19th February 2013, 03:41 PM
Oh dear I did not scan that with Elfscope before I posted. :smilewinkgrin:

"FNN" and indeed "AAAR!" :clap:

Just ordered the following:
Snow Foam Lance
Valet Pro - PH Neutral Snow Foam
Meguiars Microfibre wash Mitt
CleanYourCar Huge 'Fluffy' Drying Towel

I'll never be in Mr. King's league, but it's a start... :smilewinkgrin: :thumbs up:

Crombers
19th February 2013, 05:40 PM
"FNN" and indeed "AAAR!" :clap:

Just ordered the following:
Snow Foam Lance
Valet Pro - PH Neutral Snow Foam
Meguiars Microfibre wash Mitt
CleanYourCar Huge 'Fluffy' Drying Towel

I'll never be in Mr. King's league, but it's a start... :smilewinkgrin: :thumbs up:

Well IK had to start somewhere & maybe this is you rushing off to the 'polished land' ................ Ooft :shut up: :blush:

ELFMAN
19th February 2013, 05:47 PM
Well IK had to start somewhere & maybe this is you rushing off to the 'polished land' ................ Ooft :shut up: :blush:

Oh dear - that sounds like one of mine Crombers :frown: except taller.
Don't worry, I haven't gone over to the 'Bright Side", it's just pure laziness - the way I look at it, the more lather you have , the less you have to rub :smilewinkgrin:

Stewart
19th February 2013, 05:47 PM
I have the Wool mitt, it still looks brand new after over a years washing. First one lasted a year and started to break up. The trick is to not let it dry out like I was doing by hanging it out to dry after every wash with the glove part going brick hard.

Just give it a good rinse out under cold water and put it back in the clean empty Bucket on top of the grit guard. Put a top on it and it’s ready and soft for next use. I presume the Microfiber Mitt does much the same job of keeping any dirt away from the paint.

Good luck with it, its worth it just to see the Neighbours think you've lost the plot. ;)

After about five Min's on my wee Coop the other day.
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/sav112g/Foam_zpse45a545e.jpg

stoney
19th February 2013, 05:56 PM
Yep just mind that you don't use it as your wash you just use it as a pre wash

stoney
19th February 2013, 05:59 PM
During

After ;)

ELFMAN
19th February 2013, 06:28 PM
Cheers guys, I have Meguiars 'Ultimate Wash & Wax' something or other (it's very yellow) for the proper '2 bucket' car wash. But I take it from what's been said before that just for a quicker clean, you just do the foam and the rinse without laying a mitt on it, then dry it with yer big towel?

stoney
19th February 2013, 06:41 PM
That depends on how dirty you car is and how well protected it is

I use it as a pre wash most of the times spray it on leave it 15-20 mins then wash it off then wash the car with the 2 bucket method ;)

Stewart
19th February 2013, 06:42 PM
For Winter I just use the foam and rinse and most important let the car dry itself ( No touch) especially from a towel.

Foam stage is just another step to me before the bucket wash. Your not going to get the car properly clean without using your mitt but by using your Lance your making sure when you get to the wash and bucket and Mitt stage the car is as clean as you can get it.

This is not a quick fix to clean cars but if you were out over winter and came back it’s a good alternative to taking next to no time and taking most of the dirt off the car leaving only the thinnest of traffic films on the car that nothing is going to take off till you use your mitt.

Personally I’d not touch dry unless I’ve gone the whole hog and used my Mitt as well. Only when my mitt has been over the car and its more or less spotless and removed the traffic film do I dry the car right. The soft water up here I think in winter lets you get away with just a rinse.

ELFMAN
19th February 2013, 07:40 PM
See I'm new to this 'wonder foam' malarkey.
So you only dry it after foaming/rinsing if you've hand washed it as well, and if you're just doing a quick foam/rinse to get the majority of the crap off, it has to 'drip dry'. Got it :thumbs up:

Makes sense as you obviously don't want to be scraping any residual gritty stuff over the paintwork! I've only ever dried the MINI after it's been hand washed anyway - never having used a Foam Lance - if I've used the pressure washer first, it always gets followed up by a 2 bucket/mitt shot.

G17RDY
19th February 2013, 09:33 PM
Well, Foam and lance arrived yesterday and gave it a wee try as soon as i got home from work.

Overall, the Snow foam, good product, gives a nice white thick foam, the slightly good / bad news is the lance, whilst good, it puts a smidgen too much water through the bottle and means the foam isn't as thick and sticky as other more expensive lances i have seen. It works, don't get me wrong, gets the grime off, but after about 1 min, the foam has slid off on most non flat surfaces, it doesn't allow the foam to be so thick as to stay put, another point is to get the foam as thick as possible you have to have it on the maximum setting, which means it goes through the foam / water mix in the bottle like billy-o - I cannot see the 1L snow foam bottle lasting too long.
You get what you pay for!!
As it will probably go through snow foam solution quicker than most, playing the long game, it is false economy to keep using it, I will more than likely end up buying another and ponying up the £40 for the other one Big Col recommended, so my advice save your £13 and put it toward a better lance.

After scouring the internet and looking at numerous foam lances, i stumbled across a Karcher branded foam lance for £12 and Valetpro snow foam for £13 - Whilst this might not be the best, i'm going to give it a go, for sub £30 it is sure a lot kinder to my bank balance than the £85 i was going to spend on the other items i had selected from Clean your car.com - I'll let you all know how it goes!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190785116451?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110938441550?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

stoney
19th February 2013, 11:17 PM
Well, Foam and lance arrived yesterday and gave it a wee try as soon as i got home from work.

Overall, the Snow foam, good product, gives a nice white thick foam, the slightly good / bad news is the lance, whilst good, it puts a smidgen too much water through the bottle and means the foam isn't as thick and sticky as other more expensive lances i have seen. It works, don't get me wrong, gets the grime off, but after about 1 min, the foam has slid off on most non flat surfaces, it doesn't allow the foam to be so thick as to stay put, another point is to get the foam as thick as possible you have to have it on the maximum setting, which means it goes through the foam / water mix in the bottle like billy-o - I cannot see the 1L snow foam bottle lasting too long.
You get what you pay for!!
As it will probably go through snow foam solution quicker than most, playing the long game, it is false economy to keep using it, I will more than likely end up buying another and ponying up the £40 for the other one Big Col recommended, so my advice save your £13 and put it toward a better lance.

Yep better off getting a good one buy cheap buy twice !!!

Stewart
20th February 2013, 01:25 AM
G17RDY I've played that game as well thinking I'll give this a go to only take it to a corner of the shed and place it never to see the light of day again.

G17RDY
20th February 2013, 06:27 AM
Well worth a try, thing that is really annoying is that it is almost as good as the others out there, if it put around 10% less water through the bottle then the foam would be thick enough to stay on the car for a longer period of time.

I'm going to have another play about with the settings, before giving up on the thing, however if i cannot get it to perform better, almost, is not going to be good enough going forward.

ELFMAN
21st February 2013, 09:59 PM
Foam Lance arrived today! :excited:

MINIme:)
22nd February 2013, 12:00 AM

oh REEEEAALLY.....???
I'll be down to see you :excited:

stoney
22nd February 2013, 09:08 AM

Good stuff we want to see some pics ;)

MINI William
22nd February 2013, 09:47 AM

About time

Craig
22nd February 2013, 10:07 AM

This ^^^^^^^^ ;)

ELFMAN
22nd February 2013, 01:26 PM
oh REEEEAALLY.....??? I'll be down to see you :excited:
Steady on - I'm not THAT easy! You'll have to buy me dinner first... or at least a bag of CHIPS :drool:

- - - Updated - - -

:camflash:4039Not that exciting really! :smilewinkgrin:

stoney
22nd February 2013, 02:18 PM
Lol ment of the car foamed up not the lance ;)

Stewart
22nd February 2013, 04:41 PM
"Olivier" given a quick going over today. :smilewinkgrin:

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/sav112g/Oli_zps3fa929b7.jpg

Also just to add I'd not fill up the whole bottle with water, just half fill as with an inch foam it will foam up nice. Plus there is enough to do a car with half a bottle. If your doing both cars then you'll need probably the full bottle. Did you buy one of the pump dispensers? As it makes the job easy a pump and you have your inch.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessories/pump-dispenser-gallon-bottles/prod_374.html

ELFMAN
22nd February 2013, 05:05 PM
"Olivier" given a quick going over today. :smilewinkgrin: Also just to add I'd not fill up the whole bottle with water, just half fill as with an inch foam it will foam up nice. Plus there is enough to do a car with half a bottle. If your doing both cars then you'll need probably the full bottle. Did you buy one of the pump dispensers? As it makes the job easy a pump and you have your inch.

I didn't get a Pump, but I did get a new Mitt for the post-foam 2 bucket hand job and a nice big towel to dry it all off once I'd finished :bow:

- - - Updated - - -

Lol ment of the car foamed up not the lance ;)

I know - Gie's a chance! Maybe try it out on Sunday :thumbs up:

MINI William
22nd February 2013, 05:33 PM
"Olivier" given a quick going over today. :smilewinkgrin:

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/sav112g/Oli_zps3fa929b7.jpg

Also just to add I'd not fill up the whole bottle with water, just half fill as with an inch foam it will foam up nice. Plus there is enough to do a car with half a bottle. If your doing both cars then you'll need probably the full bottle. Did you buy one of the pump dispensers? As it makes the job easy a pump and you have your inch.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessories/pump-dispenser-gallon-bottles/prod_374.html

I would think Joanna will want more than an inch.

I just pour my snowfoam into the bottle. I do have a pump for my shampoo for the cars, as I agree it makes it easier to messure whats going in.

Craig
22nd February 2013, 05:34 PM
I think I have a spare pump. Ill give it to you next time I see you ;)

Stewart
22nd February 2013, 06:44 PM
I think I have a spare pump. Ill give it to you next time I see you ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/joolz051/KennethWilliams.jpg

ELFMAN
2nd March 2013, 11:01 PM
Snow Foam Cherry popped this afternoon! :thumbs up: OK it's not perfect, but it's my first time... :blush:

One power rinse, two buckets, a mitt and a big towel later... all ready to get manky on William's run tomorrow :smilewinkgrin:

Craig
2nd March 2013, 11:42 PM
Superb - well done wee man, welcome to the club ;). See you ramorra :yes nod:

ELFMAN
3rd March 2013, 01:05 AM
Superb - well done wee man, welcome to the club ;)
Does this mean I'm "Officially Sad"? :thud:

Craig
3rd March 2013, 08:49 AM
Eh - Aye :lol:

stoney
3rd March 2013, 08:49 AM
Does this mean I'm "Officially Sad"? :thud:

Yep :D

Crombers
3rd March 2013, 12:57 PM
Another one lost to the 'alien world' :frown: :rolleyes:

3rd March 2013, 02:29 PM
Nice one Euan.....eh looks a bit runny from here ;)

Big Col
3rd March 2013, 06:15 PM
See out of interest, would snowfoam, rinse, then snowfoaming and wiping down with a mitt, whilst rinsing the mitt often in clean water, just be a bonkers idea? Is there just not enough lubricity (wot a lurvly word) in, say, Auto Finesse Avalanche, to avoid swirling the bejesus out of the car? :confused:

Oh, good Job Euan mate. Fun innit? :thumbs up:

stoney
4th March 2013, 08:30 AM
You would prob be ok but the foam ins not really designed to be a shampoo more of a dirt lifter I would still get my 2 buckets out tbh

Craig
4th March 2013, 09:09 AM
You would prob be ok but the foam ins not really designed to be a shampoo more of a dirt lifter I would still get my 2 buckets out tbh

Ditto

gauldrymini
4th March 2013, 09:33 AM
^^what they say^^:yes nod:

Big Col
4th March 2013, 11:39 AM
Well that's unanimous then. Cheers dudes. :thumbs up:

Gismo
4th March 2013, 11:58 AM
Ok, for once, i'm gonna be deadly serious, if you wash down the snow foam i would expect there to be grit contained within the foam and no matter how many times you rinsed the mitt you'd always be taking the chance of scratching the paint :idunno:

Just my tuppence, but, i'd snow foam and rinse with a power washer or hose type thingy jet spraying kinda thing

Big Col
4th March 2013, 12:48 PM
See...my logic was that I'd snow foam then rinse. I would then reapply the snow foam and then wash down with the mitt and rinsing often, my logic being that there would be no more grit in the snowfoam than there would be in the shampoo I'd be applying, if ya see what I mean?

gauldrymini
4th March 2013, 01:02 PM
If time is not an issue:

Pre-wash (via pump sprayer)
Dwell 3-5 min
Pressure wash off
Snow foam
Dwell 5+ min
Pressure wash off
Wash 2B method
Rinse off using open ended hose

:thud:

Gismo
4th March 2013, 01:44 PM
See...my logic was that I'd snow foam then rinse. I would then reapply the snow foam and then wash down with the mitt and rinsing often, my logic being that there would be no more grit in the snowfoam than there would be in the shampoo I'd be applying, if ya see what I mean?Ah, gotcha, see what happens when i try to stick my nose into the clean world :lol:

Perhaps a bit like this :carwash:

zimbo
4th March 2013, 07:28 PM
Ah, gotcha, see what happens when i try to stick my nose into the clean world :lol:

Perhaps a bit like this :carwash:

:lol::lol: Alan WTF are you doing in this thread, it is pretty disturbing seeing this :carwash: (smiley) in one of your posts, it's just NOT the Alan I thought I knew :Whistle:

stoney
4th March 2013, 08:23 PM
See...my logic was that I'd snow foam then rinse. I would then reapply the snow foam and then wash down with the mitt and rinsing often, my logic being that there would be no more grit in the snowfoam than there would be in the shampoo I'd be applying, if ya see what I mean?

You are kind of right but even after a foam down there will still be grit in the foam 2nd time round as I said its designed to lift the dirt in to the foam

Gismo
5th March 2013, 04:59 AM
You are kind of right but even after a foam down there will still be grit in the foam 2nd time round as I said its designed to lift the dirt in to the foamSo i'm right then :Whistle: ya dancer :lol:

Crombers
5th March 2013, 06:19 AM
So i'm right then :Whistle: ya dancer :lol:

:popcorn: watching closely :rolleyes:

Big Col
5th March 2013, 06:39 AM
Hmm. So was I basically right in my first post that it's the alck of lubricity in the foam that's the issue then? :confused:

Crombers
5th March 2013, 06:45 AM
Hmm. So was I basically right in my first post that it's the alck of lubricity in the foam that's the issue then? :confused:

We just love having you back ............ :smilewinkgrin:

stoney
5th March 2013, 08:00 AM

Yep you got it ;)

Any yep the manky was right shock horror :lol:

Also depending on what foam you are using you have more chance of taking the wax off the car buy rubbing the foam in to it ;)

stoney
5th March 2013, 08:02 AM
alck of lubricity issue then?

We don't need to know what Crombers was saying last night :lol:

Big Col
5th March 2013, 08:14 AM
We don't need to know what Crombers was saying last night :lol:

erse like the Japanese flag I heard...

Gismo
5th March 2013, 08:22 AM
And yep the manky was right shock horror :lol: I thank you :clap:

stoney
5th March 2013, 09:22 AM
I thank you :clap:

Mind you it is worrying that Mr manky him self knows about snow foaming :lol: what has this world come to :lol:

Gismo
5th March 2013, 09:37 AM
Mind you it is worrying that Mr manky him self knows about snow foaming :lol: what has this world come to :lol:Aye, but, knowing and actually doing are worlds apart :Whistle:

ELFMAN
5th March 2013, 04:21 PM
Nice one Euan.....eh looks a bit runny from here ;)

I did it again last night when I got in from work (to get rid of the Sunday Run dirt) and it was much creamier :thumbs up:

Crombers
5th March 2013, 04:27 PM
Aye, but, knowing and actually doing are worlds apart :Whistle:

Thank feck for that Boss :yes:

stoney
5th March 2013, 10:00 PM
I did it again last night when I got in from work (to get rid of the Sunday Run dirt) and it was much creamier :thumbs up:

Good stuff as long as it dose the job that your looking for ;)

Crombers
6th March 2013, 12:07 AM

:huh: ........ had to read that one twice :hand:

ELFMAN
6th March 2013, 12:38 PM
:huh: ........ had to read that one twice :hand:

No you didn't, you just enjoyed it the first time.

6th March 2013, 12:58 PM
:lol:

Crombers
6th March 2013, 04:14 PM
No you didn't, you just enjoyed it the first time.

True ;)