PDA

View Full Version : DSC and Tyre Defect lights on

3GGG
13th August 2004, 08:05 PM
Yesterday at one point my DSC light stuck on, I managed to reset it by switching off ignition and then using the DSC switch to toggle it off. I thought that this was a one off problem, but today after washing the car, (maybe a clue there), the DSC and the Tyre Defect lights are on and won't reset. Checked tyre pressures and all OK. Anyone else seen this fault ? - looks like water got in somewhere it shouldn't have.

KenL
14th August 2004, 04:29 AM
Think that has been reported quite a lot on MINI2.

Best to get the garage to check it for you.

The Dogfather
14th August 2004, 07:08 AM
Whilst washing the car you didn't happen to poke a brush through your alloys to clean them?

Just I was washing my alloys and I nearly bashed a wire coming down from the break pad. If this is the connection to ABS sensor then this could be part of the problem.

I'm not sure about MINI but on my old Audi A2 the ABS system provided the traction control and DSC (ESP on Audis). I think that this is how a tyre problem is also picked up.

Is your ABS light on as well? Just guessing though!!!!!

3GGG
14th August 2004, 06:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

Think that has been reported quite a lot on MINI2.

Best to get the garage to check it for you.

Thanks Ken, I did a search and found a very long thread about this. It seems to be caused by one of many things, water in some ABS sensor, the steering position encoder (used by DSC) gone faulty, bad connection at the computer, handbrake wearing the electric cable to the reset button for the Tyre Defect Indicator.

I also found a tip on how to reset it if the reset button procedure in the handbook doesn't work, pulling the DSC fuse, but that didn't work for me either...

I phoned the garage and have booked it in for next week. They said that they would have to reset it, and they could check what if any errors can be read from the computer.

Last night I set off and the DSC & Tyre Fault lights were still on. I stopped at the top of a hill and when I set off again both lights went out and stayed out!

Regarding the other comment about the wheels and the wire, no I didn't disturb anything there with a brush, the car was just in the jet wash and they didn't clean the wheels much at all, I think the wire you referred to is the brake pad wear indicator. Actually the fault first appeared the previous day, but I was able to reset the DSC with the DSC switch that time.

The tyre defect and DSC both use the ABS wheel speed sensors, hence the tie up with the lights.

I am still going to take the car in next week, to see if their diagnostics might show what the problem was.

3GGG
18th August 2004, 08:23 PM
Took car into dealer today and they "reset the steering position sensor".

sleepyrascal
25th August 2004, 08:50 AM
Driving home tonight, it was raining and there was a lot of puddles kicking about. My run flat light came on. I stopped, switched of engine, switched back on, and all was fine. WIERD!