PDA

View Full Version : The New Paceman

Gismo
21st January 2013, 03:05 PM
urS_qrnz7rE

ELFMAN
21st January 2013, 05:01 PM
Ahh! It's so bleedin' "Right On" it hurts! :argh:

He's good looking (in an 'I spend a sh*tload on Male Grooming products' laid-back stylee) and obviously cool (he buys Vinyl). He's 'down' with ethnic foods - a child of the 'Global Village', he stays in a groovy Bohemian pad (probably in an expensive redeveloped area where poor people used to live and work) with his lovely, feisty girlfriend. He's serious about performance - has an S All-4 (though they make a point of showing you his front wheels spinning as he takes off on his mysterious - but somewhat irresponsible - high speed run through a built-up area). He gets home before her - she only has a COOPER, 'cos she's a girl. Pity they didn't give her the S - the Sexist B@st@rds! I'm wondering whther he's hurrying home for her, or whether he's actually just nicked the album and the food and done a runner... Oh and at the end she offers him $1 for his old reel-to-reel tape deck. One last thing, why did he lock the car if it's parked in their LIVING ROOM?

Well, I've got loads of vinyl albums and I love a curry - but I'm obviously just not pretty or hip enough to buy a Paceman. I couldn't afford one anyway, because I have to PAY for my music and my food! :ragin:

BTW, the S looks quite nice, in a fairly pointless big MINI hatchback way :idunno:

Gismo
21st January 2013, 05:05 PM
Dont hold back Ewan :lol:

ELFMAN
21st January 2013, 05:45 PM
Ach, you know you can rely on me for a factless rant anytime Alan! :smilewinkgrin: :thumbs up:

The Dogfather
21st January 2013, 07:26 PM
I can see the point of the Paceman, I mean for a 4x4 it is MINI in size and it doesn’t look that bad.

To be honest having got my car beached on the snow in the centre of the road today I wouldn’t mind more ground clearance.

G17RDY
21st January 2013, 08:03 PM
I think what troubles me more, is, he totally ran out of that record store without paying for the damn thing! :lol:

Stewart
21st January 2013, 08:12 PM
Every time I think I’ve got a handle on MINI’s fleet they muck it up on price. But this offers All4 and size of the Countryman for less if I’m not wrong. MINI will be hoping its more of a success of the Coupe and Roadster on the sales front. Living in a rich MINI environment everyone and there gran has the Countryman but I’ve seen one Roadster on the road and a few coupes. I see that Stunning Lamborghini Aventador Jk floating about and how rare must it be but its one for one on the road in the case of the Roadsters I've seen.

Its all Good when they have kids there is the Countryman :smilewinkgrin: in the Clip.

Be interesting how it drives to the hatch with the All4. Would you take it over the Hatch JCW If the Price was the same. ?????Still not sure about that rear end all the same!

http://www.carsuk.net/wp-content/gallery/mini-john-cooper-works-paceman/mini-john-cooper-works-paceman-1.jpg
http://www.carsuk.net/wp-content/gallery/mini-john-cooper-works-paceman/mini-john-cooper-works-paceman-2.jpg

ianking
21st January 2013, 09:31 PM
Brilliant report on the advert Ewan.:laugh:

MINIme:)
21st January 2013, 10:12 PM
Ahh! It's so bleedin' "Right On" it hurts! :argh:

He's good looking (in an 'I spend a sh*tload on Male Grooming products' laid-back stylee) and obviously cool (he buys Vinyl). He's 'down' with ethnic foods - a child of the 'Global Village', he stays in a groovy Bohemian pad (probably in an expensive redeveloped area where poor people used to live and work) with his lovely, feisty girlfriend. He's serious about performance - has an S All-4 (though they make a point of showing you his front wheels spinning as he takes off on his mysterious - but somewhat irresponsible - high speed run through a built-up area). He gets home before her - she only has a COOPER, 'cos she's a girl. Pity they didn't give her the S - the Sexist B@st@rds! I'm wondering whther he's hurrying home for her, or whether he's actually just nicked the album and the food and done a runner... Oh and at the end she offers him $1 for his old reel-to-reel tape deck. One last thing, why did he lock the car if it's parked in their LIVING ROOM?

Well, I've got loads of vinyl albums and I love a curry - but I'm obviously just not pretty or hip enough to buy a Paceman. I couldn't afford one anyway, because I have to PAY for my music and my food! :ragin:

BTW, the S looks quite nice, in a fairly pointless big MINI hatchback way :idunno:

:lol: :lol:

I haven't even watched it or read anything else yet. BBS, (as Andy once said and I had to look up google)....... --->

- - - Updated - - -

hmmmm. :idunno:

rpn
21st January 2013, 10:23 PM
That's exactly how I interpreted the ad while watching it. Drove off without paying for anything = Paceman driver. To me the ad is very poor and project a wrong image. :frown: Not cool, just wrong.

So, I'm stick to my hatch. :smilewinkgrin:

Gismo
22nd January 2013, 05:16 AM
http://www.carsuk.net/wp-content/gallery/mini-john-cooper-works-paceman/mini-john-cooper-works-paceman-1.jpg
http://www.carsuk.net/wp-content/gallery/mini-john-cooper-works-paceman/mini-john-cooper-works-paceman-2.jpg
Ooh, i'm liking the colour scheme :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
22nd January 2013, 10:40 AM
I think what troubles me more, is, he totally ran out of that record store without paying for the damn thing! :lol:

My point exactly (see my 1st post) - AND he didn't pay for the food either! Tosser. :hand:
Glad to see NMS folks are good law-abiding citizens and picking up on this :smilewinkgrin:

- - - Updated - - -

I can see the point of the Paceman, I mean for a 4x4 it is MINI in size and it doesn’t look that bad.
To be honest having got my car beached on the snow in the centre of the road today I wouldn’t mind more ground clearance.

Well, that's what you get for driving a low-slung Hairdresser's Sportscar! :smilewinkgrin:

Small for a 4x4 (and they're obviously not all going to be All4), still BIG for a MINI. I would agree it doesn't look that bad, though it certainly ain't very 'Kylie' at the rear! I actually think the S in the advert (if you can drag your eyes away from the Beautiful People) looks better than the JCW Stewart posted. As has been mentioned elsewhere, it'll probably be a bit 'sportier' to drive than the Countryman, but at the expense of the practicality of the extra doors, which arguably defeats the purpose - it's a bit of a contradiction in terms. For me, it's more of a 'Lifestyle'/Fashion Statement (the advert's a bit of a giveaway) than a serious proposition in the 'Big MINI' stakes. No doubt it'll sell though.

What is worrying is that if Paceman sells more than the Coupe or the Roadster - which I think it's bound to - I reckon the writing might be on the wall for small, sporty MINIs... :frown:

Stewart
22nd January 2013, 02:18 PM
It’s ok I have total faith the F56 will be back to a drivers car!

That roughly translates probably that the first F56 Hatch add shows a girl wheel spinning to Selfridges to pick up her pickled herring. MINI adds I think are getting a bit cliché now it has to be said. They seem to imply it’s a life style choice just to be cool over just a great car to drive.

ELFMAN
22nd January 2013, 03:11 PM
It’s ok I have total faith the F56 will be back to a drivers car!
How's your UFO Abduction/Tooth Fairy/'Scouting for Girls' are a great band Website coming along Stewart? :smilewinkgrin: :laugh:

:off topic:

:argh: Though what the hell do I know, I've just bought a Skoda Fabia! (2 hours ago - TSI 1.2 Turbo, 85bhp. Oct 2011 plate, 12k on the clock, affordable and minted).
The wee 14yr old Peugeot's time had come I'm afraid :frown: It was like taking a family pet to the vet's for the last time... :sadangel:

Stewart
22nd January 2013, 06:53 PM
Shame about your wee Car. It’s always nicer to think the car is going to a owner that will look after it but it gets to a point I know when its going to cost more than it worth. You’ve probably bought yourself some trouble free motoring just don’t say its more fun to drive than the S.

The new Paceman is on the configurator now!

http://ecom.bmwgroup.com/ecom40/GB/cosyservlet?cosyUrl=QUALITY%3D85%26UPHOLSTERY%3DFB FE1%26NSC_COUNTRY%3DGB%26SUBTYPE%3DTEMPL%26IMAGE_T YPE%3DPRODUCT_IMAGE%26WIDTH%3D560%26tcutformat%3DS TANDARD%26COLOR%3DP0B62%26LANGUAGE%3Den%26FEATURES %3DS0785%2CS06NM%2CS06NF%2CS06NE%2CS06FP%2CS0654%2 CS0620%2CS05DT%2CS0550%2CS0534%2CS0522%2CS0521%2CS 0520%2CS0507%2CS04UF%2CS04CU%2CS04C8%2CS04C1%2CS04 93%2CS0473%2CS0431%2CS0423%2CS0420%2CS03AR%2CS03A2 %2CS0383%2CS0329%2CS0325%2CS0320%2CS0314%2CS0302%2 CS02GT%2CS0255%2CS0249%26tpov%3DFRONTSIDE%26HEIGHT %3D320%26MODEL%3DRS92%26tpovattr%3D%26SA%3DCtrlWhi teShadow%26POOL%3DVCO%26SUBJECT%3DVEHICLE%26BACKGR OUND%3DBLACK%26BRAND_NAME%3DMINI
Even behaving for just an All4 SD it comes in over 28K. :sad:

Crombers
22nd January 2013, 08:02 PM
Can't help but think 'fairground dodgems' with the look of the front & back light clusters :yuk:

weefossy
22nd January 2013, 09:36 PM
Front end is "butt ugly" .....but the rest of the package seems ok. I'll stick to R55/56 for now......imho

23rd January 2013, 02:47 AM
"everyone and there gran has the Countryman"

They took a long time to take off as well though...

I really don't like the bonnet graphic :idunno: and just think they need some fresh new colours really.

The Dogfather
23rd January 2013, 08:46 AM
Stewart £28k? :frown:

ELFMAN
23rd January 2013, 12:11 PM
Stewart £28k? :frown:

I think Stewart was making that very point... eg a Paceman COOPER with Chili and a couple of extras comes in at around £23K - FJCW Hatch money.

Looking at it again on the configurator, I think the rear 3/4 view looks as if something very heavy landed on the back end of the roof. Maybe 'Advert Guy' put his Grooming Kit down on it by mistake... or perhaps his many pilfered goods literally "fell off the back of a Paceman".

Stewart
23rd January 2013, 05:20 PM
I take it the JCW version must be 32K or something as that was me not going overboard on the option list and it was still only an SD without the sports pack that currently I don’t see. As you can see even the Cooper without the all4 is at a crazy price. Hefty price tag for an All4 three door with a bigger boot than the Hatch.

Granted that’s the configuration price and as we all know that’s not the price you’ll find them on the lot especially if there they are not selling.

Ewan that’s how I see it, why buy an inferior model for more when the Hatch is there fully loaded in JCW guise in some cases five grand cheaper than an All4 SD.

23rd January 2013, 07:25 PM
the rear 3/4 view looks as if something very heavy landed on the back end of the roof. Maybe 'Advert Guy' put his Grooming Kit down on it by mistake... or perhaps his many pilfered goods literally "fell off the back of a Paceman".

:lol: Could well be right Euan! they are obviously trying to copy the evoque. And although I thought i liked the evoque on pictures I hate it in the metal. Looks exactly that - like someone flattened it with a heavy weight. Think I'm gong to have to see it.

zimbo
24th January 2013, 10:55 AM
Well I like the looks of the Paceman :bye:

...but not the price :moonie:

gauldrymini
24th January 2013, 02:13 PM
For me it is another MINI variant that does not offend or produce copious amounts of bile...

I like it:yes nod:

ELFMAN
24th January 2013, 03:24 PM
For me it is another MINI variant that does not offend or produce copious amounts of bile... I like it:yes nod:

Yes, while they don't 'offend' me, I'll admit it's quite a task to stay alert, suspicious and slightly grumpy about these more Lifestyle-leaning "MINI variants" which seem to be appearing quicker than you can say "Credit Crunch". Although I prefer to think of my reaction as 'copious amounts of mildly amusing but considered satirical analysis' rather than your common or garden 'bile'. Which is what we do with kettles (and 'incomers') in Lanarkshire :smilewinkgrin:

Anyway, my main complaint was the silly fashion-model and cliche-ridden advert rather than the car itself, which is OK... from most angles :Whistle:

d.oxley72
18th February 2013, 07:33 AM
Would rather buy a Rocketman when it finally becomes reality.

The Dogfather
18th February 2013, 11:02 AM
Didn't the Rocketman get canned?

Probably not enough profit margin in one of those.

Stewart
18th February 2013, 06:00 PM
First shown at the Geneva Motor Show last year, reports in January claimed BMW had canned plans to put the car into production due to problems with stability, and getting it to meet crash regulations.

I think with the new F56 they have enough on amd we have still to see the new Paceman even on the roads yet.

ELFMAN
19th February 2013, 02:09 PM
First shown at the Geneva Motor Show last year, reports in January claimed BMW had canned plans to put the car into production due to problems with stability, and getting it to meet crash regulations.

:off topic:Re. Rocketman - above: The former would make you a bit wary of the latter right enough :hand: :oops:
Still, it takes some 'skill' to go from the MINI to something which is binned for those reasons - but that's what happens when the Marketing Department is pulling the design strings! :Whistle:

"Rocketman burning out his fuse up here alone" - obviously there were some electrical gremlins too! :smilewinkgrin: according to Elton.
I've heard has had some design input for the next gen. Countryman...

19th February 2013, 11:20 PM
'bile'. Which is what we do with kettles (and 'incomers') in Lanarkshire :smilewinkgrin:

:unsure:

AndyP & Lenore
19th February 2013, 11:25 PM
Didn't the Rocketman get canned?

Probably not enough profit margin in one of those.

The Brand managers for MINI were at a MINI event in Helsinki a couple of weeks ago and they were shown the Rocketman, still in concept form, but the news seemed positive. Nothing concrete though. :idunno:

ELFMAN
20th February 2013, 12:18 AM
Nothing concrete though. :idunno:

Unless they bring back 'Sports Plus' Suspension Andy! :smilewinkgrin:

- - - Updated - - -

:unsure:

Re. Boiling incomers - Don't worry Jo, that was in the bad old days - we microwave you now!