PDA

View Full Version : Potholes

weefossy
13th December 2012, 09:54 PM
Sioban hit a pothole last night and put a 3 inch cut in the sidewall of the front offside tyre, another £130 quid down the drain...or hole as the case may be .Thankfully it was a runflat and she got home (12 miles) without any problem. There is no way that the "gunk" spray would have worked with a cut that size, so thankfully she was in the Beast and not the Van. You will probably remember the same thing happened to me on the Oxford ring road on the Mothership run and again in the summer, so 3 x£130 is a costly year for tryes. 2 questions.........

Why is it always the best tyre on the car that gets damaged?

Has anyone on NMS ever been successful in getting money from a local authority after claiming for their negligence?

AndyP & Lenore
13th December 2012, 10:01 PM
Malcolm we tried to claim from SBC a few years ago. They defended the claim vigorously claiming they can only be responsible for what the "know" is a road defect, so on the basis they were only informed about the pot hole 20 mins before I hit it, they claimed they couldn't possibly pay out on a claim. I employed our family solicitor to fight it and it got to the stage I could end up spending £1000 going to court to get my claim of £600 (1 X Wheel, 2 X tyres). So we gave up.

I'm sure there will be others along soon who have better news because this issue comes up from time to time and there are usually some good news stories.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
13th December 2012, 10:02 PM
With your background, I'm quite sure I'm preaching to the choir, but I'd get out and take lots of pics from different angles of the pot hole and the damaged tyre/wheel and try and get the photo's time stamped if you can.

A.

Craig
13th December 2012, 10:24 PM
I got money out of Scottish water for a buckled wheel and tyre. They dug the hole but didn't fill it in right once they were finished. They were easy to deal with. Much more than a council I would suggest ;)

stoney
13th December 2012, 11:11 PM
Yep got claims in the past as andy said lots of photo of the hole and the damaged rubber and all your receipts need to be photo copied and send it all away if they say no then take it to small claims should cost around £100 that you get back if you win witch In 99% of the time they will pay out auto to save the cost of fighting it :)

Stewart
14th December 2012, 10:38 AM
I put in the odd bad pot hole in fix my Street http://www.fixmystreet.com/reports/Glasgow. It reports it to them so there is a date. Don’t know if it works but one bad pot hole I put in I just said right this is dangerous and could kill a cyclist or damage a car please take not you have been notified! A couple of days later if was patched.

Glasgow was beyond a joke last year less this year.

MINIme:)
15th December 2012, 12:29 AM
haven't reported any potholes, but I've had many things sorted by reporting them on fix my street. As long as you don't rant there's a good chance of them looking at what you're reporting. Superb website. Well worth using. Hope you can get some cash back Malcolm.

ELFMAN
16th December 2012, 12:17 PM
Glad Sioban got home OK Malcolm - that was the main thing at the time. Shows the benefits of the dreaded Runflats - though even with this in mind, I don't think I could go back to them.

Sounds as if you got away with a the alloy intact though. Tracking etc might be worth a wee check if it took a big hit?

Hope you get some sort of satisfaction.

weefossy
16th December 2012, 08:45 PM
Cheers everyone. Most important thing was that the alloy was OK...........oh and of course that Mom got home without any hassle !!!
By the time I got back to take photos, hole had been filled in, so will just have to "bite the bullet" and suffer the pain. Mom's garage will check the tracking during the week, to make sure all is OK.
C'est la vie....

MINIme:)
17th December 2012, 01:35 AM
the one time you don't want a hole filled in eh?! :thud:

ELFMAN
17th December 2012, 02:21 PM
Cheers everyone. Most important thing was that the alloy was OK...........oh and of course that Mom got home without any hassle!

Slightly worrying that the fear of a damaged alloy appears before concern for Siobhan... :hand: :frown: You could be in a fairly serious 'hole' yourself Malcolm!:ragin:

- - - Updated - - -

the one time you don't want a hole filled in eh?! :thud:

I know a few PEOPLE I'd like 'filled in'... :knife:

illegalhunter
1st February 2013, 10:18 PM
I got £570 from Renfrewshire council for the damage to my TypeR 19inch alloy and tyre . Take a picture of the pothole . That was the way i got the cash back . Oh it took 5 months

Crombers
2nd February 2013, 12:40 AM
Yup, late 90's, Paisley Council paid out for tyre & suspension on 96 Corsa

Photo taken at time & paid out in weeks

weefossy
2nd April 2013, 12:44 PM
:argh: Believe it or not, yet another "Pot hole" casualty. This time a rear wheel on the Jag, coming up the Moffat road in the dark. Lucky again that the alloy was OK. As usual it was good tyre with under 3k miles since I put it on last year. Another £130 quid down the drain. Doh.

Craig
2nd April 2013, 02:04 PM
:argh: Believe it or not, yet another "Pot hole" casualty. This time a rear wheel on the Jag, coming up the Moffat road in the dark. Lucky again that the alloy was OK. As usual it was good tyre with under 3k miles since I put it on last year. Another £130 quid down the drain. Doh.

not great Malcolm.... It seems we pay more each year for Road Tax, tax on fuel etc etc but get less out of the quality of our roads... :( the motorist just seems to be an easy target... :argh:

Big Col
2nd April 2013, 02:08 PM
Ouch. :frown: You going to try the photo and claim back route weefossy?

Crombers
2nd April 2013, 04:20 PM

Not good Malcolm, not good at all :frown:

It's just not fair that these pesky potholes target our pensioners ........

........ Nike's on :rolleyes: :Whistle:

weefossy
2nd April 2013, 04:26 PM
Not going to bother with a claim. It was dark, so I didn't stop to take pictures. Aye Crombers, I'll have to leave the heating off this week to pay for the new tyre. Guees a job anyone!!

Crombers
2nd April 2013, 04:33 PM
Not going to bother with a claim. It was dark, so I didn't stop to take pictures. Aye Crombers, I'll have to leave the heating off this week to pay for the new tyre. Guees a job anyone!!

What about if I buy you a pint instead in some Highland hotel & give you a man hug :thumbs up:

weefossy
2nd April 2013, 04:38 PM
A Guinness please sir! Mom can have the hug........................and a large Bicardi and Coke. :thumbs up:

Crombers
2nd April 2013, 07:17 PM
A Guinness please sir! Mom can have the hug........................and a large Bicardi and Coke. :thumbs up:

:smilewinkgrin: :thumbs up:

d.oxley72
10th April 2013, 09:25 AM
The main streets of Dumfries aren't too bad for potholes, but the side streets are pretty bad. there's a pothole at the end of my street that's been there since I moved here two years ago. The council keeps putting own the quick fill stuff that never lasts, don't know why they just do a proper job.
And as for the council speed bumps....:ragin: