PDA

View Full Version : DAB Offer

N16SHP
30th November 2012, 09:18 AM
Hey folks, I got an email through from Mini this morning about a DAB radio offer. I never thought anything of a DAB radio until our roadtrip to Belgium and back for the GP and my mate had one, thought it was great. But is it worth the £299 conversion? I don't have a multifunction steering wheel either so is there a cheaper or better alternative?

ianking
30th November 2012, 11:20 AM
Soon enough we will all need DAB in the cars will we not?

My S came with it from the factory and I wouldnt have a car without it now.

If you are intending on keeping the car for say another couple years then its prob worth it but if you are considering changing before then, then perhaps its not worth it.

Mon the fish
30th November 2012, 11:32 AM
Ipod's are cheaper, the radio is full of guff these days

N16SHP
30th November 2012, 12:55 PM
Soon enough we will all need DAB in the cars will we not?

My S came with it from the factory and I wouldnt have a car without it now.

If you are intending on keeping the car for say another couple years then its prob worth it but if you are considering changing before then, then perhaps its not worth it.

With the new Countryman inbound my S will be around for a good few years yet and I was thinking along the lines of what you've said about the switch to digital radio.

Ipod's are cheaper, the radio is full of guff these days

I agree, but I often get bored of listening to my iPod and need to break it up with the radio!

ianking
30th November 2012, 01:30 PM
In the mini the DAB quality is better than the FM. The list of stations available is excellent as well.

Neil - TXJ
30th November 2012, 01:49 PM
I thought DAB was only available in certain areas unless this has changed. Didn't think we could get it in the Borders - Ian, do you get ok?

Because of the above I have never used my DAB in the car. Also thought there was a bit of a battle re digital radio with DAB being only one solution - a bit like Betamax and VHS but this may be old info and DAB won the battle.

I do also find using the DAD tuning in the car a bit of a nightmare when I have tried to use but that may be me being thick!

Mon the fish
30th November 2012, 01:54 PM
^^ AFAIK it's area based, so for people like me with no mains gas (despite being only 25 miles from the oil capital of Europe), and rubbishy mobile reception, I'll be surprised if I ever get DAB

Angib
30th November 2012, 05:30 PM
DAB does lose reception in remote areas - but they have to be pretty remote.

With DAB you can drive the length of the country and listen seamlessly to the same station the whole way. Plus you get a lot more stations, such as my favourite (BBC) 6 Music that is DAB- and internet- only.

Getting a DAB radio tuned initially can be a nightmare - stations are not broadcast individually but in 'ensembles' (groups) of 20 or so stations. Ensembles can be local or they can be national and when tuning a Mini DAB you have to make sure the radio is set to receive both types of ensembles if you want to have all possible stations.

weefossy
30th November 2012, 06:34 PM
Great for things like 5 live exta. I'm sure ours automatically tunes at the push of a button and it groups all the BBc stations, which suits me, as I hate commercial radio anyway.

Duncan Stewart
30th November 2012, 08:51 PM
Been loving the DAB in my Cooper (first time I've had DAB). Reception has been excellent, but do lose it locally when in a narrow street with high buildings (Anstruther / Cupar), so dunno what it's like in a city. Very few FM channels around here to extra digital channels are great.
I've found FM radio getting progressively worse over last few years, with it fading out in places where there used to be a strong signal - I assume they are turning down the signal like they did with TV signals in the run up to digital switch over.
Could be worth getting it due to that?

KenL
30th November 2012, 09:42 PM
DAB is great but is very difficult to navigate all the stations, as someone said they are in groups. It is not something that should be done on the move.

I wish you could scroll through them all at the same time.

Angib
1st December 2012, 11:49 AM
Having recently switched from regular to Visual Boost, navigating the DAB system is much easier.

Plus with a multi-line screen, displaying the song title and artist (info which is embedded in the DAB signal) is much more readable - on a standard display it often didn't fit.

So now what I want is a way to go back to that display every time I start the car, rather having to navigate to it.

ianking
4th December 2012, 01:12 PM
Trigger

I get DAB in Howgate but not at Leadburn.
Get it in Penicuik and in Edinburgh.

mikeythemini
20th December 2012, 12:27 AM
There are lots of different dab solutions now - a very good one is the alpine ezidab - fitting one to a MINI first on Friday so will get some pics etc

N16SHP
26th December 2012, 07:57 PM
There are lots of different dab solutions now - a very good one is the alpine ezidab - fitting one to a MINI first on Friday so will get some pics etc

Looking forward to seeing the pics Mikey!

mikeythemini
27th December 2012, 12:49 AM
Fitted this last week into a 2013 model MINI first.
The small removable screen was fitted using one of our no holes mounts & the USB into the glovebox.
The system gives you a huge choice of stations & comes with a window mounted aerial.
The buttons can be illuminated in orange to match the car lighting & the display can be set for big station name or station name with text.
The USB in the glovebox can be used for memory sticks or ipods & gives full browsing.
While we had the car we also installed our A pillar tweeter upgrade & channel swap.
http://www.newministuff.com/new/gallery/20121227121757_ezibig.jpg
http://www.newministuff.com/new/gallery/20121227121823_ezismall.jpg
http://www.newministuff.com/new/gallery/20121227121848_ezi2.jpg
http://www.newministuff.com/new/gallery/20121227121929_first_tweet.jpg
The kit is available here NewMINIStuff.com (http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop.php?action=productshow&id=1036)
Video EziDAB digital radio in a MINI - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T2V3U9YgRM)

N16SHP
3rd January 2013, 02:19 PM
Looks great Mikey and definitely seems like a far better option than the Mini DAB retro fit. Would this be suitable for my car? I know it's a tough ask without seeing the car but it is an early R56 S with only the standard radio/head unit, no iPod compatability and only the lower glovebox, not the double glovebox that was introduced later?

mikeythemini
7th January 2013, 10:43 PM
Yes would fit fine

N16SHP
8th January 2013, 08:49 AM
Yes would fit fine

Excellent! That's my birthday sorted then :D Roll on April!