PDA

View Full Version : more info on the f56

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Stewart
6th June 2013, 10:41 AM
http://s3.motoringfile.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/mini_shifter1-640x323.jpg

New shift Knob!

Big Col
6th June 2013, 12:44 PM
New shift, Knob!

All from a comma. :D

ELFMAN
6th June 2013, 01:13 PM
I hope it shifts better than it looks... :Whistle: or is it another victory of 'design-for-the sake-of-it' over functionality? :idunno:

N16SHP
6th June 2013, 04:50 PM
I do still like the look of the stop start toggle.

ELFMAN
6th June 2013, 05:08 PM

Pervert.

d.oxley72
6th June 2013, 06:50 PM
From Dr Who "Hide" episode.
"I do love a toggle switch. Actually, I like the word toggle. Nice noun, excellent verb." –The Doctor.

KenL
6th June 2013, 08:19 PM
I can't tell until I use it, but I quite the like the look of it - although a wee bit chrome would look good! TBH, not a big fan of the one in the R56 - or the R50 for that matter. I miss the Whalen Shift Machine I had fitted in my R50. Still got it sitting beside me as I type this!

MINIme:)
6th June 2013, 09:06 PM
All from a comma. :D

yay! :D

Angib
6th June 2013, 10:37 PM
What a step forwards - it will now need two hands to start the car instead of one (one for key fob, other for ****y start button).

d.oxley72
7th June 2013, 05:32 AM
Didn't realise the toggle was for stop/start. Very odd:scratch:

Angib
7th June 2013, 09:03 AM
I think it is instead of the start button next to the key fob on R56s - so not the button that prevents the auto stop/start working.

So get in car, put key fob in socket, reach down and find/press that button to start the engine. No using your other hand to do handbrake, put in gear, put stuff on passenger seat, etc, etc.

N16SHP
7th June 2013, 12:56 PM
It all depends if the key slot is still up by the steering wheel...but maybe it doesn't even have a key slot and it's just one of those auto detect things where you get in and hit start.

ELFMAN
7th June 2013, 06:38 PM
Gimmicks... all gimmicks :frown: Why don't they just put an Early Learning Centre Activity Console on the dash and be done with it?

By the way, excellent innuendo posting Ali! :thumbs up: I'm having an evening off...

d.oxley72
7th June 2013, 08:41 PM
Will the next generation hatch have telepathic stop / start?

Stewart
27th June 2013, 06:06 PM
http://geutjes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/MINIF56realrender.jpg

Just another rendering taking onboard what has been seen on the test mules and test cars closer to release.
Not a lot of news on the car floating about other than regurgitated stuff that we have already seen.

zimbo
28th June 2013, 10:20 AM
Ewwww wheres the sick bucket when you need it... :sick:

KenL
28th June 2013, 03:38 PM
Another made up image, what's the point?

Stewart
29th June 2013, 12:49 AM
Another made up image, what's the point?
:yawn:

It’s based closer to what we have actually seen on the road out testing. I’d actually say this one could be close. MINI as always keep its cards close to their chest especially when it’s not just a refresh. Yes it’s very close to be driven by a select few journalists and we should get an accurate view of the car then but no harm as always firing up what could prove to be a very good representation of what MINI has let us see so far.

Dae ye ken!

KenL
29th June 2013, 06:20 PM
More images in the link below.

Still fairly disguised. The plastic around the arches looks very fake. I hear that they will be slimmer than the current car.
From looking at these images, the shape is similar to the R56, a good thing in my opinion.

http://www.gmotors.co.uk/news/2014-mini-cooper-s-spied-less-disguised-at-the-nurburgring/

Stewart
29th June 2013, 06:49 PM
I like the Plastic arches, I’d prefer them to be more bulbous and more pronounced for the mean look. I would not be surprised if the run of the mil MINI gets thin non- imposing Arches and they beef up the Arches for the sports pack as they must be cheap as Chips to produce and fit.

So you think these are just test Arches ???

Ali its got the new 2lt does it not?

zimbo
1st July 2013, 05:08 PM
Here you go folks, still not my cup of tea so far until I see one in the metal/plastic :hand:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-mini-cooper-spy-shots/#photo-6003064

Neil - TXJ
1st July 2013, 05:22 PM
Is it me or does the front look like something out a Pixar movie?

Craig
1st July 2013, 05:27 PM
OMG !!!!! I hope that isnt the real car (or even close to it....) :thud:

the front is hideous, it reminds me of the Chinese copy of the MINI :frown: and the lights on the back look MASSIVE and out of proportion to the car ! :sad:

KenL
1st July 2013, 05:48 PM
I like it!

Really like the sloped roof, the shape off the sides and the rear lights.

Love that orange colour too, very bold.

MINIme:)
1st July 2013, 06:28 PM
:frown:

dinna like it at all. Front lights, grille and rear lights are all offending me at the moment :sad:

MINI William
1st July 2013, 06:55 PM
It isn't that bad and like most new cars you don't like them at first but when you seem them after time you wonder why you never liked them in the first place.

Stewart
1st July 2013, 07:27 PM
Here is hoping William, I was going to change next year for one but right now I’m not really feeling it. Loved the idea of the new V3 engine and some of the tech but its looking to me too soft almost like a cartoon take on a MINI. I don’t want to run down the trade in too much on my own but all it needs is new brake pads and that is getting done end of the month. I could be looking at a late R56 something now.

This is before we get to the lacking Retro inside…….it also just looks too long at the front :confused:

The rear of that dark Cooper S just does not work with these massive lights, instead of thinking nice I’m thinking what with those lights! It looks to dinky for an S.

weefossy
1st July 2013, 07:44 PM
It seems to be a lot wider at the back than it is at the front; and the bonnet is a tad too long. But I quite like it and a 2L engine sounds a nice idea. As always wait till I see it in the flesh, in the right colour / spec.

Alex from NM
1st July 2013, 07:48 PM
not impressed by those photo's :frown: Just doesn't look right at all

zimbo
1st July 2013, 11:55 PM
I can see there being a huge demand for final builds of the R56 of all versions :yes nod: before this monstrosity gets into the build system full time.

1- That front end is just pure BUTT UGLY, the lower front bumper looks like someone whose just been to the dentist and now has NO control of the lower lip and now suffers with a droopy lip :frown:

2- ...and those rear lights, I mean WTF where they thinking, I reckon a bus or even an HGV would be proud to have those rear light clusters fitted to their rear ends :moonie:

3- I see the black mini has got the HUD unit on the dash infront of the driver but it looks horrendous and looks like it was a case of "Oh feck we forgot to fabricate an HUD top dash as an option for any customers, feck it we'll just plonk a huge piece of plastic on top of the dashboard instead and hope they dont notice!!"

4- The fuel filler cap is now on the right hand side of the vehicle, just means less walking distance for us right hand drive drivers to walk to open and fill up our tanks :thumbs up:

5- I do like the halo DRLs :thumbs up: (anything like this that can aid in anyones increased visibilty and hence safety out on the roads gets a big thumbs up from me!)

6- Rear spoiler attachment to the rear window has some weird corner pieces at each end curving down where it joins the top of the rear window, looks odd.

7- Five lug/bolt wheels as was identified a very long time ago when first spy photos were spotted, wheels on the yellow/orangey mini and the black one look pretty nice and I see the red one has F56 versions of the old mini favourite the S-Spoke.

8- Rear mini wings badge is now stuck/attached to the boot handle instead of the actual boot lid as has always been the case since 2001.

9- Cooper exhaust exits on the left hand side of the vehicle now instead of the previous right hand side as I noticed before in previous disguised photos.

So yeah the only positive things I can say right now is that I like the colour of the yellow/orangey coloured S, I like the new fuel filler location and I like the DRLs, otherwise the rest is :moonie:

Mon the fish
2nd July 2013, 01:16 PM
Makes the R53 seem more perfect by the day, as a piece of pure design. No likey, not until aero kit is released anyway

ELFMAN
2nd July 2013, 01:56 PM
These are probably the best pics so far. On first viewing I thought "It actually looks OK", but the more I look at it... well let's say I'm not quite convinced.

So I'm not being a 'Hater', I don't think it's hideous. It LOOKS like a MINI, but a squarer, flatter MINI. The 'classic' (and lovely) curves of the Gen 1 and (to a lesser extent) Gen 2 have given some ground in the direction of a 'boxier' and IMHO less aesthetically pleasing generic 'Hatch Shape'. I'm not at all sure about those flat sections above the arches, which are a wee bit "Nissan Juke-ish" and remind me, albeit to a much lesser extent, of the new (and entirely horrible - what the hell were they thinking of?) Honda Civic which has terribly 'slab-sided' bodywork. The last thing a MINI needs is a flat surface in place of a curve - but flat IS cheaper to produce isn't it? As Craig said, the rear lights are indeed of Epic proportions and the 'Toy Story Face' front end (well spotted Trigger!) does look quite angry at the fact that someone's found a spare bit of cheap plastic and glued it right in the middle of its face...

As Mr. Spock might say (if he existed) "It's a MINI, Captain, but not as we know it". The best way I can describe the 'new shape' is to say that it looks as if they've filmed an R56 in the 'old' Aspect Ratio, and then shown it in 'Widescreen' - it looks OK, but something's not quite right somewhere.

I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it, and it'll be interesting to see one in 3D 'in the metal'. You can't stop "progress", and while I'll still have an opinion on it, I'll have much less of a rant against it!

Stewart
2nd July 2013, 01:58 PM
The sports pack could clear up that front. Ewan some of the pictures are said to look weird due to the gigantic zoom lens that was used to capture the images and angle the pictures were taken emitted by the guy who took them. But even then I can say my own opinion is I’m not liking that front end at all and to begin with I was worried about the inside.

As we all know it will be interesting when we see the up close pictures from the Motor show and in the flesh in the Dealers.

I would not be surprised if the rear lights are not just the Paceman’s rotated

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/gallery/mini-paceman-and-countryman-reviewed-by-skiddmark_15.jpg

http://www.ausmotive.com/pics/2013/MINI-F56-spied-July2013-06.jpg

I think its a move away from the styling we all love today to accommodate this that has just entered testing. Why MINI think it needs a four door Hatch when it has the Countryman:confused: Is this the replacement for the Clubman that had its own individual charm to simply had two doors to the F56. God knows what they will do with the Roadster and Coupe…… I actually envy anyone that has just picked up a new R series just now.
http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss269/zf44/image-39.jpg
http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss269/zf44/image-40.jpg
http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss269/zf44/image-41.jpg

Stewart
2nd July 2013, 06:17 PM
I always over react to the new models, this will roll into a dealership and I’ll probably come out thinking “oh yes I like it” but failing that I’ll be looking at late R56 replacement. As far as I know they expect the F56 to be in the Dealers end of this year. If you want split new R56 it could be a problem in a few months time if not already.

KenL
2nd July 2013, 07:08 PM
I would imagine there will be pre-built r56 cars available (at a great price) up to the launch of the new car just like there are now.

MINI will think they need a 5 door to compete with the A1. It is a quality car and I imagine it has taken a lot of sales from MINI.

Stewart
2nd July 2013, 07:42 PM
Guy on another site says October for the end of build date.

I’m surprised MINI has changed it’s face so much for the MKIII MINI possibly alienating its previous customers who cherished its styling and dimensions because of the competition. Friend’s wife got a Fiat 500 Abarth the other week and it’s a cracker of a wee car and fully loaded with toys for 14K. Friend has the A1 sport and it’s a cracker too although it has a stupid No1 on it in the inside. That fiesta ST does not look to shabby and then there is always the ever present Golf GTi.

KenL
2nd July 2013, 08:00 PM
Golf GTI or the new A3 is what I would buy if I wanted to spend over 20k.

I still think the F56 will be a great car and I will seriously consider one as long as the price isn't even sillier than it is at present.

Stewart
2nd July 2013, 10:43 PM
http://memecrunch.com/meme/GQ7O/bottom-lip/image.png

I just know I'll pan this car and end up buying it :smilewinkgrin:

Stewart
3rd July 2013, 07:56 PM
http://i33.servimg.com/u/f33/16/96/75/94/p9012710.jpg

MINI's Response :smilewinkgrin::thumbs up:

Outrageous! MINI secretly photographed at private getaway.
Paparazzi attack on British small car top model. Impatient photographers unable to wait for official presentation. Leads to distorted pictures at dawn.

Aggressive and relentless papping is something British celebrities have had to learn to live with. Members of the Royal Family, as well as actors, footballers and top models are all familiar with the sensation of being caught in uncompromising situations, and now MINI is the latest victim. Absolutely unaware and without make- up, the youngest member of our family was caught by sensationalist photographers in a highly private moment. The young one was yellow and completely defenceless. We understand the worldwide interest in our family but it is not the British way to send such unfavourable pictures around the globe.

But like a good stiff-upper-lipped Brit, MINI shall not complain, although we would like to officially state that we are not flattered. The published pictures do not reflect our good looks any way. As every celebrity knows, those extra long telephoto lenses have the devastating ability to negatively distort all surfaces, lines and angles. Therefore our advice: next time come closer to the object of desire. If that doesn’t work, don’t worry, shortly you will have the opportunity to experience the MINI up close and personal, and to take pictures from all angles.

Stewart
23rd July 2013, 01:46 PM
Firstly this is just a computer generated impression of what we seen in the spy shots. Take from it what you will. It was posted up just out of general interest and discussion and it should not be taken too seriously until official pictures are out possibly just before Novembers show and tell. Never the less it may interest some to see the guess work slowly closing in till then.

Model F56 Cooper S

http://www.bimmertoday.de/wp-content/uploads/2014-MINI-F56-3D-Modell-Humster3D-Video-655x437.jpg

http://youtu.be/fDuoQ1_Z--A

Mon the fish
23rd July 2013, 02:06 PM
Looks like Mick Jagger

Burple
23rd July 2013, 02:14 PM
The New Mini... by Aardman studios.. ;)

http://data4.blog.de/media/301/1834301_b651ed1c91_m.jpeg

Stewart
23rd July 2013, 06:25 PM
Looks like Mick Jagger

If only it had the build quality of him :)

The New Mini... by Aardman studios.. ;)

:smilewinkgrin::thumbs up:

N16SHP
24th July 2013, 08:58 AM
Always tough to say until you see it in the flesh. I hated the Countryman when it first launched, and now I love mine. Can't help but feel a lot of the small card these days are starting to look the same. Golf, A3, Leon, 1 Series etc. And yes I am aware that the first 3 are built from the new platform that VW/Audi Group created.

ELFMAN
24th July 2013, 09:40 AM
Looks like Mick Jagger

"Well Awwwwwlriiiiight! I look like the new MINIIIIIIIIIIIIIII! Wotchareckon Keef?.... KEEEEEEEEEEF!"

"Ahhh, I dunno Mick maan, all you modern cats look the same to me..."

Stewart
24th July 2013, 10:29 AM
The hope is always the sports pack will clear up that one front panel I have a problem with. I just really don’t like the shovel look......The JCW will probably look great, we will see in time.

This is really all before we even start on if they have killed the fun interior and gone all BMW on us.

Stewart
27th July 2013, 02:44 PM
A new Clip of the S going round the ring.

http://youtu.be/3LVMeapSLYs

And most will have seen the new MINI concept BMW are showing just now that hints at the new F56.

http://youtu.be/HjJT7-BhppM

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/MINI-Vision-600x392.jpg

Another unofficial model that you can take it or leave it but interesting just the same.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/971163_320008871468288_1597222389_n.jpg

ELFMAN
29th July 2013, 09:55 AM
It doesn't make me ill or anything, but I really don't like those flat sections above the arches... :frown:

d.oxley72
30th July 2013, 11:16 PM
Sadly, it just looks bland :idunno:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/mini-vision-concept-2013-07-25

zimbo
31st July 2013, 09:23 AM
I really like the looks of this 'MINI Vision' concept :yes nod: It kind of looks like a newer version(improved) of the ditched 'Rocketman' concept from a couple of years ago. And this version like the rocketman did, looks like a smaller version of the current hatchback and I personally would love to have a smaller version of the current hatch and hopefully we will see this come to life with this.
Really love that interior BUT as usual these excellent looking interiors NEVER ever make it into production :sad:

I would snap this car up in a second (finances allowing of course...)

Stewart
31st July 2013, 09:33 AM
I’ve always thought I’d have a problem with MINI when I went out and squinted at it and it did not look anything like a MINI of old. Ok the R56 etc is light years from the Classic but it still felt right and had touches that harked back to the original.

BMW will slowly morph it into a unrecognisable, bug eyed, bland Euro box. There was enough new tech with the new engines etc to leave the shape alone. Yeah you cant stop progress if you can call it that. With us still to get a good proper look at this new MINI I have to emit what I’ve seen or seen implied I don’t fancy. I think they have pushed too far from the original R50.

d.oxley72
31st July 2013, 12:59 PM
I admit my comment of the 'Vision' as bland maybe not quite right. I suppose from the side it reminds me of the Smart cars and while the rear looks fine, there's just something of the front end which doesn't work for me.
Ok it's a concept and Mini should 'evolve' but I think the designers should pay more attention to the styling cues from the first two MINIs and some from the Classic Mini and retain the distinctive look that MINI is known for.

ELFMAN
31st July 2013, 02:15 PM
The 'Vision Concept' face is tidier than the Yellow or Grey versions, which look as if the front ends have been sucked into a vacuum cleaner in a bizarre cleaning accident.

KenL
31st July 2013, 04:09 PM
Autoexpress are claiming today that the concept is pretty much the f56!

Gismo
31st July 2013, 06:04 PM
I'm with the Elfman on this, one thing i've noticed, never have i seen any mini with factory built in lights in the front grille :frown: to me that front end is pot ugly

ELFMAN
1st August 2013, 09:01 AM
you can see from the real footage of the S going round the ring that the Concept is nothing like it at the bottom.

You're right Stewart - the Ring Thing has the 'Guppy Face' on... :frown: Ah well, I suppose we'll just have to wait till we see it in the metal to finally make up our minds :idunno:

weefossy
1st August 2013, 10:51 AM
When is it launched? Think I will need to see it in the flesh, as I just can't work out from the various "photos" what it will look like.

ELFMAN
1st August 2013, 03:26 PM
When is it launched? Think I will need to see it in the flesh, as I just can't work out from the various "photos" what it will look like.

Yes Malcolm, it's all getting a bit :scratch: :idunno: :argh: :thud:

When you say "in the flesh", I take it your MINI Dealer doesn't mind you turning up 'Au Naturel'? :blush: S'pose they're used to it by now... :smilewinkgrin:

Stewart
1st August 2013, 09:07 PM
Now that the i3 ( Yes I know how bad it looks) is out BMW can roll on to the MINI reveal. I suspect we will have to wait for the late Car show to see it a lot better. A away back I was excited that a new MINI was coming but I think although still interested my mood has changed more to Concern.

Being Modern and going main stream for the sake of it when its all the Retro touches I’ve always loved in the car start falling away makes me sad.

Word is that they are going to do something at Oxford before what ever car show its going to turn up at.

KenL
1st August 2013, 09:30 PM
I don't like the MINI because it is retro, I bought one in 2002 because it was different from all the other cars available, it was fun to drive and it was affordable.

I am hopeful that the f56 will be all of these, although I do expect the prices to be way too much for what it is.

I think in the spy shots it still look like no other car.

Yes, the central speedo is gone but it has to be so. I never look at mine when I have the digital readout, it is pointless.

The new interior may be " less Mini", but if that leads to a higher quality, more useful interior then I am all for it.

Stewart
2nd August 2013, 12:58 AM
Everyone is different but for me I want MINI well to still look mini. It looked different because of its Retro styling, when everything was going square and all looked a bit dull MINI went back to it roots and went round. Great driver’s car and fun are all part of the package expected from the brand. I loved early R50’s etc on the roads as they looked so different, so fresh and instantly slapped you in the face saying “Yeah I’m a MINI” it had style and looked the part. I’d see one and smile.

I was hours away from buying a split new Golf GT before I picked up my Cooper. MINI won me over because it was quirky and fun and I've alway been a fan. I loved the centre speedo was there. Have I ever looked at it while driving to see what speed I was doing of course not but by heck I loved it was there being not sensible and a nice throw back to the Original Classic I grew up with. A part of me will forever be tearing down the street in a 1275 actually having to read the speed from the centre speedo.

Different stokes as they say.

zimbo
2nd August 2013, 07:46 AM
I see that the 28th of this month is apparently the LAST DAY that any US customers can make any changes to any R56/JCW Hatchbacks they have on order with MINI and after that there will be no more orders being taken for R56 hatches. So, boss it looks like you might have one the very last R56 JCWs made :thumbs up: (a keeper for sure)

Gismo
2nd August 2013, 10:19 AM
I see that the 28th of this month is apparently the LAST DAY that any US customers can make any changes to any R56/JCW Hatchbacks they have on order with MINI and after that there will be no more orders being taken for R56 hatches. So, boss it looks like you might have one the very last R56 JCWs made :thumbs up: (a keeper for sure)Exactly why I ordered it, if I like the new style then I can trade in, but, if I don't then I've got the best deal for me :thumbs up:

KenL
2nd August 2013, 10:29 AM
That is a good plan Gismo.

ELFMAN
2nd August 2013, 10:41 AM
I don't like the MINI because it is retro, I bought one in 2002 because it was different from all the other cars available, it was fun to drive and it was affordable. I am hopeful that the f56 will be all of these, although I do expect the prices to be way too much for what it is. I think in the spy shots it still look like no other car. Yes, the central speedo is gone but it has to be so. I never look at mine when I have the digital readout, it is pointless. The new interior may be " less Mini", but if that leads to a higher quality, more useful interior then I am all for it.

Yes Ken , it was different to all the other cars available because it was 'Retro'!
It was 'affordable', but a bit less affordable than other 'warm' hatches at the time methinks... It was seen as a bit of a 'cut above' the run-of-the-mill fare which was available, something a bit 'special' in both exterior and interior design and driving dynamics. It had a "WOW!" Factor which I don't think you can separate from 'Retro/Modern' design which although Volkswagen pioneered (and arguably missed) with the 'New Beetle', MINI scored a direct hit with the COOPER. When I got mine in 2001, folks were all over it - "It's a Mini, but... bigger - Love it!", a nice old gent even came up to me and said, "I learned to drive in one of these" and I had to explain the 'newness' thing. He went away slightly confused but well happy.

The mad Big Central Speedo obviously harked back to the original Mini and was/is all part of the FUN. The overall interior design - with all its quirks and foibles - was (and is) like nothing else on the market. Ditching it is just another example of dull-as-ditchwater penny-pinching 'play it safe-ism'. So what if you don't look at it when you're driving, it was a MINI Trademark, still looks great and lifts the dash out of the humdrum 'sameness' of the herd. IMHO the speedo is 'Central' in more ways than one, so I have to disagree that it's 'pointless' - in fact I'd politely suggest that you're missing the point :smilewinkgrin: What next? "Let's give the Mona Lisa a proper smile"?

Anyway, "it has to be so"? Why? Did I miss the 11th Commandment - "Thou shalt not have an interesting dashboard in thy MINI" :hand:

But Lord, I thought you LIKED 'Quirky'!

KenL
2nd August 2013, 12:05 PM
Nice post Elfman :-)

The main reason I think MINI feels the Central speedo and some other quirks have had their day is that virtually every review of these cars point out the interior as an ergonomic mess.

Yes, the central speedo twangs the heart strings of enthusiasts, but MINI is a mass market car now and only a small percentage of owners are enthusiasts.
Being more mainstream will probably sell more cars.

ELFMAN
2nd August 2013, 01:39 PM
Nice post Elfman :-) The main reason I think MINI feels the Central speedo and some other quirks have had their day is that virtually every review of these cars point out the interior as an ergonomic mess. Yes, the central speedo twangs the heart strings of enthusiasts, but MINI is a mass market car now and only a small percentage of owners are enthusiasts.
Being more mainstream will probably sell more cars.

Cheers Ken :thumbs up: Thanks for taking my post in good spirit! :smilewinkgrin: Your assessment of MINI becoming a "Mass Market car now" is true and it just sums it up for me. You can't stop 'progress' and the Glory Days (Cue Mr Springsteen) are certainly gone, but when you have to make something a bit less special in order to feed the market, I can't help feeling sad about it :sad: I suppose it's the small "Organic Grower" versus industrial farming - if you want to grow more, you have to Quirk less!

Mon the fish
2nd August 2013, 02:29 PM
I use my central speedo, never have the OBC displaying speed. It's fun to watch how quickly the needle moves.

With every new car, another layer of mechanical interaction is lost. That saddens me, and why I will never buy another new car

Gismo
2nd August 2013, 02:53 PM
Lets not forget that the original mini did lose the central speedo (1275 GT) so, in effect, MINI are only following the lead.............................................. .i'll get my hat and coat :Whistle:

ELFMAN
2nd August 2013, 05:42 PM
Lets not forget that the original mini did lose the central speedo (1275 GT) so, in effect, MINI are only following the lead............................i'll get my hat and coat :Whistle:

Neither of my beloved 'Classic' Minis ('78 1100 Clubbie Estate and madly tuned 1275 '82 '1000 HLE') had a central speedo, but look at which 'Classics' are the most sought-after these days... and it ain't ones with square plastic binnacles! If you look at a nice early 'new' COOPER, R53 S/JCW or a Mk 1 GP, I (and many others) reckon these will be seen as the 'Classic' new MINIs in years to come. The R56 is a great motor and arguably a better 'all-rounder', but it'll never have the 'cache' of the early cars. I kind of wish I had 'mothballed' my '01 COOPER and kept it minted, but hey ho... that Supercharger Whine was too hard to resist!

weefossy
3rd August 2013, 12:00 PM
Reading through this thread again, my conclusion is that most of the people on NMS don't need or probably want another "new" Mini. We have all tried various models over the years and most people, I think, now have the car / cars they like and that suits their personal needs. Whether it's an R50, R53, GP1 or GP2, a Clubbie or a Countryman, Cooper, S, D, or JCW, there are some great cars owned by folks on NMS. That's certainly the case with us.
Why would I want to change The Beast, or our Clubbie as our daily run around? We have arrived at what we want / need and I think that many others in NMS are in the same position. And for those who still aspire to something better / faster / more special, they probably would choose something from the current range.
The challenge for Mini is that the new car will have to be "very" special for me to want to change what we have. Or, am I just getting old?

Stewart
3rd August 2013, 04:53 PM
I concur I love the look of the R56 with the sports pack. I've got to a point to me the car looks bang on and to move it further could be a downward slope. Personally if you could shove in all the new tech and new engine/engineering into an R56 looking car with sports pack it would be a no brainer for me. But then the flip side is people could just get bored with the same looking car.

I feel the jump from R50 to R56 was nicely done even if some of the purity in style was lost and some bulk added. This F car I feel BMW are going to make a huge statement and it will be MINI’s biggest shift. I hate to see it turn out a true Marmite car! Dont get me wrong it will still look like a MINI just not as nice as we are used to.

zimbo
3rd August 2013, 05:20 PM
To be really honest, if I had the finances to do it right now then I would be getting myself an R56 FJCW just like Alan has done (except with a manual :motoring:) and I would get it specced exactly to my liking and I would keep it for the rest of my life :yes nod: ...but sadly I dont even think I'll ever be able to afford an 'S' never mind an FJCW and I may just keep my coop that I have right now if the F56 turns out to be a turd :Whistle:despite my constant yearning for a mini with a lot more oooomph and sound. I've wanted an S since my 1st new mini in 2002 and I'm still no closer to realising that ambition 11 years on :sadangel:

Stewart
3rd August 2013, 10:22 PM
Some interesting new shots! :smilewinkgrin:

http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2014-mini-cooper-s-spy-shots_100435478_l.jpg
http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2014-mini-cooper-s-spy-shots_100435477_l.jpg
http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2014-mini-cooper-s-spy-shots_100435479_l.jpg
http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2014-mini-cooper-s-spy-shots_100435480_l.jpg
http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2014-mini-cooper-s-spy-shots_100435482_l.jpg

Pity there is not a front view

KenL
4th August 2013, 12:41 AM
Thanks Stewart.

Stewart
4th August 2013, 11:12 AM
Is it just me or is the Rev counter of old that we are used to now a dedicated Speedo? Just looking at the increments marked on it, does that still look like Rev’s??

It definitely looks like Change gear lights to the right of the pod and I think the left of the pod is the new rev counter. I may be wrong as its hard to tell. The centre dash I’ve always said looked ok when its got the full media screen but I doubt that will come as standard .

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/sav112g/MINIINT_zpse9be3eb4.jpg

All three are in the Vision and it has the Rev as we know it as a big Digital Speedo. Mind you in that the Centre media screen looks like Sonar or Radar, to BMW it would be another Box to tick. “Would madam like the Radar on her build?”
http://s4.paultan.org/image/2013/07/630x354xMINI-Vision-0003-630x354.jpg.pagespeed.ic.KdYcJV_TtY.jpg

RobSco
4th August 2013, 07:17 PM
Nice to get some more photos of it Stewart... :thumbs up: ...Glad to see they ditched the square air vents... :yes nod: ...When's the actual release date of the F56, but as Malcolm says "good things come to he who waits"...

Mon the fish
5th August 2013, 07:20 AM
Anyone else more interested in the F10 visible with the M stripes? Or is that just me...?

ELFMAN
5th August 2013, 09:46 AM
So I take it that the big central 'speedo' is now an 'infotainment' type thingy?

weefossy
5th August 2013, 09:40 PM
He's either been listening to Jimi again.........or .............his Werthers have come into contact with some old lysergic / diethylamide that was staining his levi pockets :hand:

ELFMAN
6th August 2013, 08:45 AM
He's either been listening to Jimi again...or ....his Werthers have come into contact with some old lysergic / diethylamide that was staining his levi pockets :hand:
Patchouli Oil and Vimto cocktails... :thud:while listening to Greatest Hits of 'Focus' :smilewinkgrin:

Angib
6th August 2013, 11:04 AM
Patchouli Oil and Vimto cocktails... :thud:

Hardcore. Respect.

ELFMAN
6th August 2013, 12:42 PM
Hardcore. Respect.

Beautiful... The colours are talking to me...

Sorry man :off topic: didn't mean to 'Bogart' the thread
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvGJvzwKqg0

Stewart
6th August 2013, 07:33 PM
Its ok I can get us back.

New variants

The third-generation of 'new Mini' will kick off with a three-door hatch, codenamed F56, at the LA motor show in November, followed by the five-door hatch (F55). The Mini Cabriolet (F57) has been given the green light for 2015, as has the Clubman Mk2 (F54) which will receive a pair of rear-hinged doors like the BMW i3. The Countryman (F60) and Paceman (F61) are also in the product plan, but there's no news about how the concepts of these will differ from today's models. Beyond 2016, an MPV is likely as is a roadster, possibly in the mould of the Mazda MX-5. These would likely take the missing F58 and F59 names in the sequence.

Most we know -

http://in.news.yahoo.com/next-gen-mini-line-explained-183000930.html

Stewart
7th August 2013, 11:04 PM
MINI to Introduce the F56 in London on November 18th

http://s3.bimmerfile.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/P90130958-640x484.jpg

The introduction of the 3rd generation MINI (aka the F56) is a big deal not just to MINI and its fans but the automotive industry. So it’s understandable that MINI is taking it pretty seriously and spreading out the festivities across three continents. As we reported earlier this summer, MINI will be holding a standalone event at the Oxford Plant on November 18th followed by party that night in London. Then two days later (within hours if each other) the F56 will be getting its US debut at the LA Autoshow and Asian debut at the Tokyo Motor Show

The LA event will be followed by an exclusive party where we expect plenty of celebrities and “trendsetters” posing with the little star.

We expect technical details of the car and a bit around the forthcoming design to be release in the early Autumn. And while we’ll be seeing MINIs with less and less camo running around the UK we don’t expect to see the car fully unveiled until the 18th of November.

Official Release: A new era of driving excitement, in-car-infotainment and premium quality in the small car segment is drawing ever closer. The new MINI will be unveiled on 18 November 2013, 107 years to the day since the birth of the man who started an automobile revolution, Sir Alec Issigonis. MINI Plant Oxford will host the world premiere, with a party in London that same evening.

KenL
8th August 2013, 06:22 AM
Interesting! This is a bit later than I expected.

Looking forward to a dealer launch event

Stewart
8th August 2013, 04:59 PM
Begs the question if this is just the big reveal then it must be early next year before they hit the dealers.

Can’t see Oxford shutting down for re-tooling etc getting ready for them considering the Coupe and Roadster come out the same line.

ELFMAN
8th August 2013, 05:23 PM
MINI to Introduce the F56 in London on November 18th

http://s3.bimmerfile.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/P90130958-640x484.jpg

The LA event will be followed by an exclusive party where we expect plenty of celebrities and “trendsetters” posing with the little star.

I think it looks really bland... and i hate the big 'zipper' graphic :frown: Is it just me, or does the above line Re. LA and its "Trendsetters" (ie pretentious w*nkers) just make you want to :sick:

Stewart
8th August 2013, 05:40 PM
http://www.bimmertoday.de/wp-content/uploads/2014-MINI-F56-Innenraum-Erlkoenig-Interieur-Spyshots-2-655x431.jpg

a wee shot I spotted. Also the mags are at it with the new Roadster/coupe.

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx68/aylpic/18/AutoExpress07August2013.jpg

Could we see a Roadster with a Metal lid????? Now that would be interesting.

Mon the fish
9th August 2013, 08:28 AM
Is it just me, or does the above line Re. LA and its "Trendsetters" (ie pretentious w*nkers) just make you want to :sick:

I was thinking exactly the same. I thought BMW was an engineering company, not a marketing company

Angib
9th August 2013, 10:13 AM
I thought BMW was an engineering company, not a marketing company
The marketing people will be glad to hear that, as they put some work into making people think that.

However the technical term for a car company that isn't led by its marketing department is 'insolvent'.

Mon the fish
9th August 2013, 10:42 AM
I know that (I did some marketing at uni), I just don't need some celebrity-person telling me to buy a car. Tell me to buy the car on it's own merits, not because some idiot I have no idea who they are but they're very orange, says so

ELFMAN
9th August 2013, 10:59 AM
The marketing people will be glad to hear that, as they put some work into making people think that. However the technical term for a car company that isn't led by its marketing department is 'insolvent'.

Point taken, but without the product to back up the hype, the result is the same. We're not going to buy a dynamically flawed car because WillIAm says its cool. Surely the recipe for a successful manufacturer is when the two work hand in hand? Re. the afforementioned publicity surrounding the F56 etc etc, to be pedantic, isn't there a difference between "Marketing" and "Advertising", with the Marketing Dept working out WHO they want to sell the product to and the Advertising Dept working out HOW to make them buy it?

Burple
9th August 2013, 11:13 AM
Point taken, but without the product to back up the hype, the result is the same. We're not going to buy a dynamically flawed car because WillIAm says its cool. Surely the recipe for a successful manufacturer is when the two work hand in hand? Re. the afforementioned publicity surrounding the F56 etc etc, to be pedantic, isn't there a difference between "Marketing" and "Advertising", with the Marketing Dept working out WHO they want to sell the product to and the Advertising Dept working out HOW to make them buy it?

To be honest the media have made people so stupid these day's they'll buy anything that has a 'famous person' say it's good... so it's all win for whoever get's the most famous person's agent to sign them up for whatever turd in a box they're squeezing out to the public..
I'm with Bill Hicks on all that marketing and Advertising guff. I don't need some attention seeking moron to tell me something's good.. I'll buy a car because it does what I want it to :thumbs up: Spend all that Advertising and marketing budget on MAKING THE CAR BETTER!

...and by the looks of the new Mini so far.. I'll be keeping the current one for a while yet!

*Caution.. contains swearies. Actually, It's Bill Hicks. Of course it contains swearies :D*

gDW_Hj2K0wo

Angib
9th August 2013, 12:26 PM
BMW has a canny marketing department, but they do get it wrong some of the time. There is the case of one generation of M3 where the marketing guys said it had to have a certain aspect ratio tyres and the engineering guys had to ruin the car to achieve that. But then the public 'know' that a car with 35-series tyres is sportier than one with 40-series tyres, so the marketing department may have been quite right to say "it doesn't matter if it works or not, it must have the right numbers". Nerver underestimate the stupidity of the majority of the public (ie, everyone except me and maybe you).

zimbo
9th August 2013, 12:49 PM
Well here is my attempt at what the FJCW Vision Concept would/might look like :smilewinkgrin: used photoshop.

:thumbs up:

Stewart
9th August 2013, 02:01 PM
Zimbo that aint half bad, good work there.....

You know they are just going to go O.T.T on the promotion of the car.

“ We have reinvented the MINI for a modern age, pushing the boundaries. We want it to stand out, but fit in. It’s all new by maintaining the driving characteristics of the past models we have concentrated on improving every aspect of the car. Never judge a book by it cover the New MINI smiles right back at you….In a Dealers near you soon. Did we say it was Fun! Fun! Fun! ”

It’s amazing how advertising has changed. :smilewinkgrin:

http://www.geektown.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/gotmilk.jpg
http://images.thehollywoodgossip.com/iu/t_full/v1364524989/rebecca-romijn-got-milk.jpg

Mon the fish
9th August 2013, 02:20 PM
Nerver underestimate the stupidity of the majority of the public (ie, everyone except me and maybe you).

Never a truer word spoken, I deal with the public everyday sadly...

BMWs marketing department have ruined the whole M thing anyway. The fact you can drive a pikey 4-cylinder diesel 5 series, with M badges everywhere, is just sad, and goes against the origins of the M ethos

ELFMAN
9th August 2013, 03:02 PM
Never underestimate the stupidity of the majority of the public (ie, everyone except me and maybe you).

Although I've done Copywriting, Marketing, Economics, Design and a whole lot of other bumf in my time, I won't pretend to really understand all of this...
All I know is that I'm finishing work early to go and buy lots and lots of LOVELY MILK!!!!!! :drool:

zimbo
9th August 2013, 03:29 PM
All I know is that I'm finishing work early to go and buy lots and lots of LOVELY MILK!!!!!! :drool:

So you like Milk do you Euan? :lol:

Stewart
9th August 2013, 05:51 PM
News Just over the wire!
Full color line up F56
To start with lets look at the exterior of Cooper S (US Spec):

White Silver Metallic
Midnight Black
British Racing Green II
Ice Chocolate Metallic (New)
Thunder Grey (Previously GP exclusive)
Deep Blue
Volcanic Orange (New)
Blazing Red Metallic (Carried over from the Countryman & Paceman)
Pepper White

Inside things dark but mostly new for the Cooper S:

Diamond Carbon Blk/Cloth & Leather
Diamond Satellite Grey Cloth & Leahter
Carbon Black Leatherette
Black Pearl Cloth/Leatherette
Leather Cross Punch Carbon
Cross Punch Dark Truffle
Leather Lounge Satellite Grey

So you can get that great GP2 Gray, Got to say I'd like a Works in it...Talk of Chili Red being a JCW specific color in 18 months time. Laser Blue still missing and one of my fav colours of all time…I don’t think I’d be impressed if like William and his Mum with the two fantastic GP’s that you will be able to spec it on other than a GP. Not seen the new Red is that what Mr L has on his JCW Paceman?????

Mon the fish
9th August 2013, 06:04 PM
Cue all the GP owners throwing toys oot the pram... :p

Gismo
9th August 2013, 06:17 PM
Cue all the GP owners throwing toys oot the pram... :p:lol: not so exclusive now, reckon i made the right choice of speccing an R56 to the hilt

zimbo
9th August 2013, 06:30 PM
News Just over the wire!
Full color line up F56
To start with lets look at the exterior of Cooper S (US Spec):

White Silver Metallic
Midnight Black
British Racing Green II
Ice Chocolate Metallic (New)
Thunder Grey (Previously GP exclusive)
Deep Blue
Volcanic Orange (New)
Blazing Red Metallic (Carried over from the Countryman & Paceman)
Pepper White

Ice Chocolate Metallic sounds absolutely minging :sick: ...and so is Blazing Red if it's the same red thats been seen on a few Paceman and countrymans so far its almost a burgandy colour? if thats it then its also a minging colour as far as I'm concerned.

Thunder Grey (oh dear) MINI have done this before with a SO CALLED exclusive colour on a car aka Electric Blue which used to be 'S' only for a long time then mini decided to put it across the range and it was like a red rag to a bull that was :lol:, I dont really think MINI actually understand what the term EXCLUSIVE means, all they understand is the term £ $ €s (and other world wide currencies) :frown: at least the GP2 is the only R56 to have had that colour :thumbs up:

My favourites of that list have to be (in order)

Midnight Black
Deep Blue (hope it's metallic)
Volcanic Orange

EDIT: if Deep Blue is this blue then no forget it
http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2014-mini-cooper-s-spy-shots_100435480_l.jpg

Hopefully Volcanic Orange will do the trick

Stewart
9th August 2013, 06:40 PM
Could be this one right enough. Chili Red is like Gospel. Just goes to show nothing safe!

What was the Spyshots, I thought that was a crap Yellow but its not on the list.

Volcanic Orange (New)?????
http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/mini-f56-01-655x490.jpg

Now thats more like it!
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4099/4773368115_af2b26e043_z.jpg
http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww102/surfblue63/Mini%20United%202009/2009_05230209.jpg

The BMW Volcanic Orange if it is the one in the spyshots most of us of us would never touch but how sweet is the R53

zimbo
9th August 2013, 06:41 PM
Any chance you can clear that up ?

Done, tried copying that pic from one of your ealrier posts it just came up with all that huge pile of jibberish... (fixed now tho, hopefully :lol:)

Craig
9th August 2013, 07:05 PM
I cannot believe they have put Thundsr Grey on as a normal colour to spec.... :frown:

Also, why did they not bring Laser Blue (or close to it back) ;)

Angib
9th August 2013, 07:31 PM
Volcanic Orange does sound good.

But it's my bet that, while it will look absolutely superb when it's spotlessly clean and lit by a Texan sun or studio light (like when the BMW colour choosers look at it), in a British winter it will be a pale brown that would not have looked out on place on a Metro....

KenL
9th August 2013, 08:18 PM
Apalled that the GP colour us about to become mainstream.

Also disappointed that chilli red is gone.

Appears PW is the only solid colour. Another way to make extra cash is to have so many metallic colours at ~£500 at next to no extra outlay for them!

zimbo
10th August 2013, 07:59 AM
Apalled that the GP colour us about to become mainstream.

Also disappointed that chilli red is gone.

Appears PW is the only solid colour. Another way to make extra cash is to have so many metallic colours at ~£500 at next to no extra outlay for them!

I agree with all that Ken. I guess we will be seeing a vast amount of PW F56s hitting the streets then :rolleyes: Cannot believe they have deleted Chilli red :moonie:

Stewart
10th August 2013, 10:33 AM
Plus we all know what MINI is like with their special editions although they must be running out of Hip London street names by now. Maybe a baby Blue Cambridge model :smilewinkgrin:

ELFMAN
12th August 2013, 11:39 AM
So you like Milk do you Euan? :lol:

:off topic:Well Zimbo, for some strange reason I had completely missed the above picture, but I AM a pushover for a nice short haircut :smilewinkgrin:

OK back to the f56... :hand:

N16SHP
12th August 2013, 02:08 PM
Was speaking to the guys in JC yesterday about the F56. First deliveries will be March 2014. I'm pretty sure this has already been mentioned but the One and Cooper will be 1.5 3 cylinders and the S will be 2.0 turbo with 200+bhp. They also believe it'll be closer in size to the 1-series seems it shares the same platform. Again sorry if this has already been covered...couldn't be bother trolling the thread to check :)

KenL
12th August 2013, 05:48 PM
F56 will share the same platform as the upcoming fwd 1-series, not the current rwd car.

The new MINI is apparently not much bigger than the current car, at least that is what PV guys told me.

Stewart
12th August 2013, 05:54 PM
I think we had pinned it down to March on here by guess work so always good to get a semi official response from a dealer. Looks aside I’d like to think the new V3 will give mid 130 bhp from the current 120 bhp in the Coop.

We should have an idea what the car will look like on November but its always better to see it in the metal to get a complete idea.

Ken fingers crossed on the size but “not much bigger” as they say is probably the six inches the R56 gained plus another six to that of the original.

weefossy
12th August 2013, 06:29 PM
Thunder Grey as mainstream.......that is just not on.
Wonder if the BRG 11 will be the connaught green of the WC50? Probably not as it isn't metallic and they wont be able to charge an extra £500.

zimbo
12th August 2013, 07:16 PM
Wonder if the BRG 11 will be the connaught green of the WC50? Probably not as it isn't metallic and they wont be able to charge an extra £500.

Malcolm, the BRGII is already out now on the current R56 range, so the Beast is still an exclusive mate :thumbs up:

Stewart
13th August 2013, 02:02 PM
This is just to give an idea of what we could be looking at. This has no authenticity what so ever so far and can not be regarded as such as a genuine MINI spyshot so please do not regard it as so. Chinese Car Mag’s. It gives us an impression of what I think the New F56 will be like with Speedo and Rev side by side.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/970683_612837865413767_1610207567_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/543852_612837818747105_794277487_n.jpg

KenL
13th August 2013, 04:29 PM
Those pics look genuine to me.

Stewart
13th August 2013, 05:17 PM
Those pics look genuine to me.

Both pic’s from the same Mag so to me it looks like someone had very real access to the F56. Car Mag’s are bad enough without the added spin of it being from China into the Mix. The only reason I added that part about authenticity was because the first picture had a few comments claiming it was not genuine and questioning it. Amazingly that stopped the minute the Second picture was shown. The 260 km/h 160 mph seems the standard MINI Speedo.

Putting that aside I like the look of the wee speedo and Rev counter in the picture but I still stand by the fact I don’t like the cheaper Media option seen in the second picture. If I was going new or nearly new F56 it would have to have the full screen to fill the space. Square Vents by the looks of it to either side the Media console. Very BMW not very MINI but what can you do.:frown:

weefossy
13th August 2013, 05:27 PM
Also looks like the seat has a pull out thigh support, like a BMW sport seat, which would be a great improvement.

Stewart
13th August 2013, 05:39 PM
I still think that is "Change Gear" L.E.D's to the right but I could be wrong. I think that is the first look at the new Window buttons on the door? And thats a nice size display within the Speedo for if you want the Digital MPH.

KenL
13th August 2013, 05:45 PM
Agree that cheaper media screen looks poor in those pics.

Hopefully the finished article will look better.

zimbo
13th August 2013, 07:17 PM
Oh dear it just seems to be getting worse and worse with every pic!!

Apart from the seats as Malcolm mentioned with the thigh supports, which hint at a performance vehicle and with that media station area it must be a budget specced version apart from the seats then :frown: and whats up with the flickable switch on the wiper stalk!! :moonie:

Stewart
13th August 2013, 10:10 PM
I really hope they don’t loose the wee cubbie hole that opens up above the glove box.

What I will say is the new interior looks fidgety. I don’t have the Wheel controls but without looking away from the road I can switch the Sounds on, change the volume, change the tracks. Sisters new 13 plate Cooper even is not as intuitive as the Toy’s R us buttons on my 57 plate. Chunky yes, less nice to look at certainly but very easy to use.

This looks like a whole new level with small buttons on an arc etc. I willl take that back if even the Basic build now has controls on the Wheel.

zimbo
14th August 2013, 07:17 AM
...I willl take that back if even the Basic build now has controls on the Wheel.

:Whistle: who you trying to kid Stewart, thats at least £250+ for each mini per customer, more chance of seeing hell freeze over before you see that mate :yes nod:

:lol:

Stewart
14th August 2013, 11:02 PM
Some more Pic’s that have surfaced. Whoever designed the Media Centre or what Department should be shot, I’m just not feeling the love for something that has been shoved into a round space for the sake of it from a one series or something to save cash. Why they could not keep the Speedo around the edge like you get when you have the full media just now is beyond me. like this!I know the newer version will light up like a glitter ball but how long will that amuse us over actual something nice to look at.

(Old R56)
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/213/467415702_ee8b88baa2_o.jpg

(New F56)

http://www.blogcdn.com/es.autoblog.com/media/2013/08/2894631c-9109-46e8-9890-47d480183655630.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/es.autoblog.com/media/2013/08/5cc8fc16-be07-49d9-9f68-c0665b002039630.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/es.autoblog.com/media/2013/08/3ed6314b-d8b9-4f18-a2fb-aeacc2178c1c630.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/es.autoblog.com/media/2013/08/6778bec265a2b79fcb902db50cd352c5.png

If it was not for big brother eye’s everywhere I’d joke I’d blow the place up before stealing the very last Works R56 off the production line.:smilewinkgrin: (GCHQ that was a Joke!)

zimbo
15th August 2013, 08:09 AM
:thud: OMG that is horrendous!!! That interior is minging, media station that looks like an ugly face, with square vents to either side, switches and buttons in panel under steering wheel by drivers knee nearest to the door and awfully cheap looking air-con/temperature controls... I DEFINATELY do NOT like :frown:. I think this is the first time that I have had such a dislike for an impending new arrival from mini, I mean I did have reservations about the R56 when it was first leaked out but at least it still seemed to be mini, but this F56 is just NO!!

Thats it my next car (not new, second hand) WILL be an R56 JCW/S if possible, otherwise I may well be abandoning ship towards Audi or 1 series territory with a bigger car as my needs/requirements have changed this year and I need a bigger car :yes nod:

ELFMAN
15th August 2013, 10:54 AM
Can I admit that I'm actually quite looking forward to seeing the JCW 2.0 Turbo... :Whistle:

Stewart
15th August 2013, 10:58 AM
Listening to a US MINI blog and the BMW sales guy was saying this new F56 will sell like hot cakes with this new V3 engine with the better platform giving a better drive.

I feel a lot of valued customers that have been there from the start will not just repeat buy new without thinking this time if the car just looks Awkward. When you get a new Car I would want people seeing it thinking “Nice” I think I’d jump in this a think “What have they done”

Seemingly they took onboard what the Customer wanted in this new car. I shudder to think what feedback they got. I think this will sell based not on the style, not even for the great driving feel you get but more just for a Badge. MINI will be less about standing out from the crowd and more about fitting into BMW styling over all for the entire Company. Its like they started with a Gem and slowly bit by bit turning it into a lump of Coal.

Can I admit that I'm actually quite looking forward to seeing the JCW 2.0 Turbo... :Whistle:
I totally agree the drive trains will be probably a marked improvement with the rumoured 138 Bhp Cooper, more powerful S and eventually Works.

ELFMAN
15th August 2013, 12:56 PM
Seemingly they took onboard what the Customer wanted in this new car. I shudder to think what feedback they got. I think this will sell based not on the style, not even for the great driving feel you get but more just for a Badge. MINI will be less about standing out from the crowd and more about fitting into BMW styling over all for the entire Company. Its like they started with a Gem and slowly bit by bit turning it into a lump of Coal.

Agreed Stewart, but I've got to the stage now where banging my head off the hypothetical 'Wall of Reason' is doing nothing but hurting my head :argh: :frown:

In the end it all gets reduced down to what sells and hopefully those of us who appreciate 'The Thrill of Driving' - as evo magazine calls it - won't be left out in the cold. Let's look on the bright side and hope they've maybe addressed that age-old MINI Suspension/Tyre/Ride conundrum without making it bland and uninvolving. I think the f56 will be a good car - let's face it they can't afford to build a bad car - but how much of the original "MINI Spirit" will be present remains to be seen. You can iron out the 'quirks' and faults, but sometimes by doing that you lose a certain 'something' which made the car what it was.

Here's one for the Gen. 1 and Gen. 2...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKAp-jRUp2o (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKAp-jRUp2o)

Things change, we have to deal with it, move on and make he most of it. Life's like that.

zimbo
15th August 2013, 06:52 PM
Seemingly they took onboard what the Customer wanted in this new car.

What customers??????????? :scratch:

I dont think MINI have EVER asked any MINI clubs/Forums like us, the true mini enthusiasts what we would like to see in our possible next MINI :hand:, I definately know its not what were seeing right now anyway (apart from the 2.0 engine)

Mon the fish
16th August 2013, 08:34 AM
I still don't know why I'd want a media in my car

Gismo
16th August 2013, 08:46 AM
That media thing is absolutely minging :thud:
Once again, so glad i opted for the final R56

ELFMAN
16th August 2013, 08:59 AM
I still don't know why I'd want a media in my car

I finally got an iPod cable a few months ago (£9 on Amazon, not £40+ from MINI), but I only use it (and the radio) when I'm taking it really easy. As soon as I want to up the pace a bit or road conditions demand even more attention, all the 'sounds' go off and all I need to hear are the intake/engine and exhaust. Folks now expect their cars to come fully stocked with 'Media' (and they're willing to pay extra for it - ker-ching!). Public perception of what a car is all about seems to have changed, as in many cases these days a car is seen as another 'Gadget' as opposed to a driving machine. Look at the new Vauxhall 'Adam' (FFS...ADAM?) - its main 'selling point' seems to be the media experience, not the driving experience. Not saying some of the stuff isn't handy, but it shouldn't be what a car is about. Maybe the roads are so congested in some areas that you need something to do while sitting in a jam... But up here I'd much rather have a big grin on my face after a quick run down a good road than 'internet connectivity'.

- - - Updated - - -

What customers??????????? :scratch: I dont think MINI have EVER asked any MINI clubs/Forums like us, the true mini enthusiasts what we would like to see in our possible next MINI :hand:, I definately know its not what were seeing right now anyway (apart from the 2.0 engine)

But they're not after 'enthusiasts' pennies Zimbo, they're after the Mass Market. The Herd, not the Individual - no matter how they pretend otherwise - anyway how many 'individuals' does it take to make a herd? There are many more of 'Them' than there are 'Enthusiasts', so if they 'catch' 5,000 new MINI customers and lose 500 MINI enthusiasts, do you think they'll lose sleep over it?

N16SHP
16th August 2013, 11:10 AM
That media thing is absolutely minging :thud:
Once again, so glad i opted for the final R56

Agreed. I'm pretty annoyed as I'm probably going to be changing to a new Mini early 2014 which means I have no choice but go for the new one as I couldn't afford the higher APR on a cherished Mini.

On the subject of the media centre, I can see why folk don't want/like it. For me however, I use sat-nav for directions to new clients and customers etc so it would be nice to not have a tom-tom or the like stuck to my windscreen but if it looks like those pictures then I think a'l stick to my tom-tom!

Stewart
16th August 2013, 11:34 AM
Its easy like myself to jump on the negatives we can see in the styling etc. I could have bought one of the last R56’’s and yeah the new/ nearly new stock will be around for the next six months. I have waited as I still think this will be Engineering wise possibly the best mini to drive to date. If we all jump in the F series and find it’s a riot to drive and the feel is spot on there is plenty of room to forgive the styling.

When they bring out the new Works with the Kit on it and this new beefed up 2ltr Engine I know many will want the best engine/ power they can get over the older less attractive slower Works. It’s all the positives that are hidden right now to us that will make the difference if we take notice of all the wee touches we like that we feel are distinctly MINI. These will appear on runs and I can hear it now.

“ Yeah I’d never be without the F56 engineering and extra power now I’ve driven it”

Personally I go off on one :blush: as I still see my pride and joy being lost to mainstream BMW…..if anything I expect the car to excel in what it does best and put a smile on your face on a twisty roads but leave a niggling thought its not as nice looking as its older brothers but then we had that with the R56 as well.

I just wish MINI would stop responding saying everything including these shots from China have been taken from odd angles so do not do the car justice….Really!!!!! :confused::frown:
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/4609442560/h7D1ADADC/

Angib
16th August 2013, 05:18 PM
I'm amazed that so many people think the ghastly, tacky R56 dash is so good they don't want to see it changed. That's not to say the F56 looks much better - both look to me like a Fisher Price copy of an original Mini. I drive a Mini despite being embarrassed by the gawd-awful dashboard, not because of.

ELFMAN
16th August 2013, 05:28 PM
I'm amazed that so many people think the ghastly, tacky R56 dash is so good they don't want to see it changed. That's not to say the F56 looks much better - both look to me like a Fisher Price copy of an original Mini. I drive a Mini despite being embarrassed by the gawd-awful dashboard, not because of.

Steady on there! I don't think the dash in MY R56 is ghastly, or tacky... with the piano black and chrome stuff it's arguably a lot less 'plasticky' than my R50 or R53... and I thought those looked pretty damn cool and funky at the time. Being pedantic (a House Speciality) the original Mini didn't actually HAVE a dashboard - just a big speedo and a shelf!

KenL
16th August 2013, 07:02 PM
Angib is entitled to her/his opinion:yes nod:

In the cold light of day and if we didn't have such emotional attachment to our cars we would probably feel the same.

It only feels like yesterday that R50 lovers were doing the same about the R56 when it was about to be released!

Stewart
16th August 2013, 07:16 PM
I agree the later Black non toy’s R us R56 dash was an improvement on looks, more adult but still had a cheeky fun Mini Character. To what I can see of the F56 I’ll take Retro every time to main stream one series boredom. We are only just spitballing after all.

Granted the original BMW MINI hit the dealers when basically every car on the market was bland and I mean really bland. The Golf GTi had turned from hot Hatch to Family car, Pug’s had nothing nor had Ford. The only thing that came close was the new Beatle at the time.

But I’d certainly never been embarrassed with my interior that’s for sure. Its intuitive as I’ve said and did what it said on the tin. I’d agree my Silver switches look cheapish but that’s about it but maybe we are being too hard on the F56. The main point for me is the F56 looks less MINI right off the bat, its what we have grown to expect and love. Driving the car will always be first on the agenda but I certainly don’t want a dogs mess however bullet proof or well put together and that’s what I’m seeing. They are trying to fit standard BMW dullness or reform in a car marketed as a lot of fun with style.

I think with the fully media pack its not a deal breaker for the car but I’d hate to jump in day after day thinking I’m in a Yaris.:smilewinkgrin: Not that I think there is anything wrong with them.

http://0.tqn.com/d/cars/1/0/b/Z/2/ag_12yaris_dashse.JPG

Mon the fish
16th August 2013, 08:49 PM
Get a JCW steering wheel and a Whalen and your dash is sorted - it's the only 2 bits you touch! You can always paint bits you're not keen on...

Stewart
17th August 2013, 11:38 AM
In truth I’m more desperate to actually see that front revealed. I was in the dealers yesterday picking up my Sisters 13 plate that had an Oil leak and was thinking a Clubbie could be a nice back up plan for when I change. We will see. Sad thing is everything I’ve read I like all about the new Engine and Tech but every spy picture has left me less and less enthralled and those big over sized lights.

Sat behind a Paceman JCW in a strange metallic brown or gold and as we pulled up at a few set of lights I was thinking “Yeah I like that" and to be fair I hated the spy shots of it too.

They bring out a 240Bhp All4 JCW with all the kit Everyone will go nut regardless as it will be the quickest MINI to date….:smilewinkgrin:

ELFMAN
19th August 2013, 09:01 AM
Angib is entitled to her/his opinion:yes nod: In the cold light of day and if we didn't have such emotional attachment to our cars we would probably feel the same. It only feels like yesterday that R50 lovers were doing the same about the R56 when it was about to be released!

Ken, I don't think I've ever stated anywhere that anyone wasn't entitled to their opinion... I wasn't even adding to the debate Re. the R56 dashboard in all its imaginary permutations, merely defending MY R56 dashboard against the accusation that it was "Ghastly" and "Tacky". If someone makes a statement on NMS which basically says "That bit of your MINI is sh*te", surely we're allowed to dispute it without the inference that we're denying them Freedom of Speech?

Also I'm not sure what you mean with "In the cold light of day and if we didn't have such emotional attachment to our cars we would probably feel the same", Are you saying that it's only an irrational 'attachment' to our cars which 'blinds' us to the fact that the dashboard is rubbish? I happen to think my R56 dash is an integral part of why I like the car, rather than something which has sneaked under the radar in some sort of 'Emotional Stealth' mode...

N16SHP
26th August 2013, 11:53 AM
Spoke to Mini at the weekend re the media interface and they've confirmed that is purely in as part of the test mule. It will not make production. So panic over!

zimbo
26th August 2013, 06:27 PM
Found out today that apparently last orders for an R56 in the UK is October :sad:

Stewart
31st August 2013, 06:26 PM
Spoke to Mini at the weekend re the media interface and they've confirmed that is purely in as part of the test mule. It will not make production. So panic over!

So this is not what we will see?????
http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/gallery/future-mini-ditches-the-center-speedo_1.jpg

Are you sure, seems strange as it looks too well finished to not be. Unless MINI happily leaked the pictures to gauge the reaction of a test interior.

I’m still not convinced, would love it to be true. Here I could live with that front end if at least the interior looked MINI.

Stewart
6th September 2013, 03:46 PM
Not a lot of new stuff but spotted this. I’d take 134BHP….

Bloomberg reports that BMW Group will terminate the agreement with PSA Peugeot Citroen in the Prince engine is used to drive the MINI in 2016 that BMW would switch to the BMW engine B37/B38/B48 own development.
Not above expectations. For termination of the agreement with PSA Peugeot Citroen BMW because BMW does not require the cooperation of PSA longer the BMW Group announced the development of its own engine. The three-cylinder engine, four-cylinder and six-cylinder engine under the code Bxx where BMW will launch the new 2014 MINI Cooper and the car this year.
BMW has developed engines with PSA Peugeot Citroen giant automobile by France since 2002 (it is from a MINI is there), and has produced Prince Engine 4 cylinder, 1.4 liter and 1.6 liter used in car MINI models including Peugeot and Citroen models.
Starting from this year MINI will launch the new MINI Cooper BMW engine itself, which is stronger than the original Prince engine while power consumption less noise and lighter. Divided into several versions of the MINI One and Cooper engine B38-capacity 1.5-liter three-cylinder delivers 134 hp / MINI Cooper D engine B37-capacity 1.5 liter diesel 3-cylinder delivers 114 horsepower and a strong MINI Cooper S will. B48 engine capacity of 2.

Mon the fish
6th September 2013, 04:11 PM
3 cylinders though...

For me, it's more about character and feel, rather than figures. And nothing about modern engines makes we want one

Stewart
6th September 2013, 05:45 PM
I’ve always had an eye on MPG as for me it just means less money when enjoying the Car. The added 14bhp in the Cooper I suspect most would welcome. I suspect it will feel MINI but I’ll disregard BMW Owns hype about how this new car drives and handles superior to what we have seen on the roads. As Ali has seen to him it looked very impressive battering round the ring.

But your right it’s down to the individual. Sometimes I think the Coop is underpowered by today’s standards so I guess we will all know if it sounds, feels, handles and looks the part soon enough in November. Biggest fear is not the engineering that I think will be on the money but that I just dont like the styling of the exterior or interior.

Stewart
11th September 2013, 10:38 AM
Thought I'd post this up as a few of the test mules are still driving about. there was a clip of one driving about in the UK but it was just on a phone as it passed by and at lights.

http://www.bimmertoday.de/wp-content/uploads/2014-MINI-Cooper-S-F56-Hatchback-04-655x437.jpg

http://youtu.be/RnJk6bkjgko

Substitute MINI for Bike in this Classic Add and I think we have it! “I was right about that front end though” :smilewinkgrin:

GreigJCW
11th September 2013, 11:36 AM
great Ad i remember it well. Times have changed though, HSE would have a field day now...NO HELMET lol

Stewart
19th September 2013, 03:49 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/954824_342464812556027_890878172_n.jpg

Off a mag!

Stewart
19th September 2013, 04:04 PM
It's a mag and Mini have shut up shop till the 18th so I guess they are something something straws :) good spot all the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Stewart
19th September 2013, 04:20 PM
I can see that ;)

Stewart
24th September 2013, 06:40 PM
New pic's. Although the thought is that MINI will let us see it soon before the 18th Nov.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/542244_344513669017808_2060885651_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1374088_344513695684472_1829462541_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1014451_344513662351142_1171878187_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/988723_344513665684475_2010939848_n.jpg

Gismo
24th September 2013, 07:20 PM
Hmm, first time i've seen the exhaust on that side and given that the number plate is readable i'm assuming that the image hasn't been flipped :Whistle:

KenL
24th September 2013, 08:54 PM
Exhaust swap probably has something to do with the fuel filler swap?

Less swirling on this car than before I think, so it may be slowly being de-cloaked...

ianking
25th September 2013, 01:02 PM
Exhaust swap and fuel filler side swap will be due to it being a shared BMW platform.

BMWs have their fillers and exhausts on the opposite side from the existing MINI and previous MINIs

Stewart
27th September 2013, 12:22 PM
A few more shots!

What with the spoiler on the black:confused:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1377296_345535822248926_2127159742_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1234400_345535735582268_1078671246_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1231101_345535788915596_2023243304_n.jpg

gauldrymini
27th September 2013, 12:30 PM
Is the dude on the phone in the 2nd photo :hand:

Stewart
27th September 2013, 12:40 PM
Yeah he probably can’t be arsed setting up the Bluetooth. Not very German not to test it as well.

zimbo
27th September 2013, 05:42 PM
Assuming that'll be the new Orange then seeing as how it doesn't look like red to me :scratch:

KenL
27th September 2013, 08:47 PM
Is that not just Chilli Red?

Stewart
30th September 2013, 12:16 PM
In Spain so just on to post this as its shockingly too warm do anything but be in the shade and reading about the new car :)

Reads well for the new car.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2013/09/29/mini-unveils-f56-new-engine-transmissions-we-go-hands-on/

BobWyse
30th September 2013, 01:12 PM
Whats with the roof rails in the first picture? Is that the new clubman?

Still undecided. It looks fat round the rear.

d.oxley72
30th September 2013, 03:35 PM
New spy shots..
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-mini-cooper-cooper-s-hatchback-spy-photos-news

Stewart
30th September 2013, 04:22 PM
That's the old spy shots from June. BMW claimed due to the angle and range it made the car look strange. The official pictures before the big official reveal cant be long off. A few journalist are bound to get a taste and spill the beans ;)

d.oxley72
30th September 2013, 07:07 PM
Are they? Ok. They appeared on the American car websites via Facebook.
November is touted as the official launch, according to the press.

Neil - TXJ
30th September 2013, 07:26 PM
http://paultan.org/2013/10/01/spyshots-clearest-view-f56-mini-yet/

Stewart
30th September 2013, 09:17 PM
Balls it looks a mess again! Who ever styled it should be shot. I mean what is the squared bottom and rear all about. I really think this car will be a fantastic drive but why make such a mess of the way the car looks. It's as if it expects it to plug into a apple docking station.

Even when the show it officially on the 18 Nov it's going to be more or less this.

weefossy
30th September 2013, 10:06 PM
When should we expect the Works version to arrive?

Craig
30th September 2013, 10:32 PM
Up to 18 months after the launch I've been told :)

www.lodgeonthecaley.com

zimbo
30th September 2013, 11:21 PM
:thud: O M G that thing is so fecking ugly its not funny!!! :frown:

KenL
1st October 2013, 06:15 AM
http://www.motoringfile.com/2013/09/30/2014-mini-f56-caught-undisguised-again/#more-30942

The f56 completely undisguised. ..

Craig
1st October 2013, 08:01 AM
OMG....... Really not sure about this at all......

Mon the fish
1st October 2013, 08:06 AM
Scoop intake looks tiny, no more AEM intakes

Stewart
1st October 2013, 08:23 AM
I don't know the engineering but who would not have liked a proper intake there again. The Cooper looks better plain than a squashed scoop.

EcosseGP
1st October 2013, 08:48 AM
Need to see it in the metal before I decide .. Look at the Paceman the photos don't do it justice but sit inside the MINI evoque and it's totally different ! ;)

At 8000rpm no-one hears you scream !

Stewart
1st October 2013, 09:02 AM
Absolutely, but for now I'm not licking my lips thinking "oh I fancy a bit of that" Wait and see they will bring out a killer sports pack or JCW that slaps us about the face saying " Go on I dare you not to like"

ELFMAN
1st October 2013, 03:45 PM
http://paultan.org/2013/10/01/spyshots-clearest-view-f56-mini-yet/

The front end is a bit 'unresolved'/messy and the 'face' actually has the expression of someone undergoing a surprise Rectal Examination...

I hope they tidy it up a bit - far too much going on in the front bumper area, as if they couldn't make up their minds which design to go for and just stuck the lot on.

zimbo
1st October 2013, 10:31 PM
It has the face of a goldfish and the a$$ of a baboon... :yes nod:

ELFMAN
3rd October 2013, 04:58 PM
:hand: ...you do have a huge imagination Stewart :lol:

That's what he tells all the Laydeez... :smilewinkgrin:

Stewart
3rd October 2013, 09:36 PM
Here you my imagination is just fine, although I'm not needing much of it just now in Spain, seriously skimpy gear by the ladies. ;)

Stewart
7th October 2013, 07:25 PM
Some more pictures doing the rounds. Its a Dog's life for some!!!

Advertising is following the premiere of the new vehicle, which on 18 November 2013 in conjunction with the 107th Birthday is celebrated by MINI inventor Sir Alec Issigonis simultaneously in Oxford and London, to be seen on various channels and is the fourth-generation MINI bring in a sympathetic way into the living rooms of potential customers. The focus is on topics such as typical MINI driving fun and superior brand loyalty of many customers

http://www.bimmertoday.de/wp-content/uploads/MINI-F56-Cooper-S-2014-Werbung-Bulldogge-Spike-03.jpg
http://www.bimmertoday.de/wp-content/uploads/MINI-F56-Cooper-S-2014-Werbung-Bulldogge-Spike-01.jpg
http://www.bimmertoday.de/wp-content/uploads/MINI-F56-Cooper-S-2014-Werbung-Bulldogge-Spike-02.jpg

weefossy
7th October 2013, 08:16 PM
5 studs on the wheels.....so my S spokes wont fit.....doh!! Otherwise everything else on these pictures looks pretty normal.

zimbo
8th October 2013, 08:39 AM
Only nice things in those pics is the cars colour and the alloy wheel :yes nod:

Notice its face and butt are covered, do these covers come standard as part of the chilli/pepper packs to cover up its uglyness whilst parked up in public? :Whistle:

Stewart
8th October 2013, 09:11 AM
So I take it we still have side repeaters in the mirrors even if it looks like a side vent around the old place. Still no sign of any sports pack.

Unfortunately I can still see that front!!!!

http://mini-th.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Clip_3.jpg

Mon the fish
8th October 2013, 10:38 AM
They won't release a sports pack at launch, as they need something to stimulate demand and trade-ins in the near future

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

Mon the fish
8th October 2013, 10:39 AM
And that car is hideous

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

Craig
8th October 2013, 11:42 AM
Has anybody heard when the dealers are doing a launch? I know it's around 18th November for the launch in Oxford and London...

Gismo
8th October 2013, 11:54 AM
And that car is hideousAgreed :sad: so so glad i bought the last run of the R56

N16SHP
8th October 2013, 01:04 PM
...looks like it's a Paceman for me then. That said, I will reserve judgement until I see it in the flesh. I hated the Countryman when they came out, now I love them. I like most of the F56 apart from the front so who knows. I'd of loved to have seen some cues from the R50/53.

weefossy
8th October 2013, 07:45 PM
Reckon I'd need 6 spots to fill that front grille....lol

Stewart
8th October 2013, 10:45 PM
I listen to these guys podcasts for new MINI stuff. On this one its more or less all F56.

White roof radio (http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/www.whiteroofradio.com/podcasts/woof486.mp3) 26.4MB |57:17|

I think with the Cooper having the same torque as what the standard R53 had will be an interesting drive.

KenL
9th October 2013, 06:26 AM
I agree Stewart. I am looking forward to the new car.

I only hope the price is not too hyped over the current car.

ELFMAN
9th October 2013, 05:33 PM
I know it won't appear for a while, but I must admit I'm quite looking forward to seeing the F56 JCW :Whistle:

zimbo
9th October 2013, 05:55 PM
I know it won't appear for a while, but I must admit I'm quite looking forward to seeing the F56 JCW :Whistle:

:hand:

Stewart
10th October 2013, 10:59 AM
Revealed: MINI to Introduce 9 Speed Automatic in 2015

motoringfile (http://www.motoringfile.com/2013/10/09/revealed-mini-to-introduce-9-speed-automatic-in-2015/)
I hate to think what the chat is suggesting that the manual gearboxes will be a thing of the past, although I’m sure using the wee paddles is nearly as much fun. But at release the six speed Aisin automatic will still be in the next generation F56.

zimbo
10th October 2013, 11:56 AM
9 speed, thats just rediculous :rolleyes: :frown: 6 speeds are bad enough never mind anything above that.

ELFMAN
10th October 2013, 04:08 PM
:hand:

Re. F56 JCW - Did I say that out loud.....? :argh:

- - - Updated - - -

Revealed: MINI to Introduce 9 Speed Automatic in 2015

:thud: How confusing will THAT be?
Big straight, tight corner coming up - just got to snick it down from 9th to 2nd... 9:motoring: 8:blink: 7:Whistle: 6:scratch: 5 :yawn: 4:idunno: 3:dizzy: 2 :thumbs up: at last!
I know the best DSGs are super-quick these days, and it's good for economy, but it's all getting far too technical. I'd rather be in control than a whole bunch of Clever Cogs -
Six on a Stick is all I need :thumbs up:

MINI William
10th October 2013, 04:42 PM
That being said the BMW 8speed Auto is a fantastic gearbox. If its going to be on a MINI this is a good thing

ELFMAN
10th October 2013, 06:13 PM
That being said the BMW 8speed Auto is a fantastic gearbox. If its going to be on a MINI this is a good thing

Agreed, the one in the M135i got a fab write up in evo mag, but although it does make the most of the excellent engine - always being in the right rev band to get it really shifting - the testers seem to give the manual a very slight 'victory' due to the fact that it's also great 'box and the driver is more 'connected to/involved in' the whole experience.

I suppose it's a case of technical brilliance versus that physical 'connectivity' to the drive. The DSG will give you a perfect shift every time, but does it beat the feeling when you're going up and down a good manual 'box and you get it 'just right'? I haven't driven a DSG, so I can't give a 100% opinion, but I do enjoy being 'in charge' of what's going on and the co-ordination required on a challenging road.

Angib
10th October 2013, 06:20 PM
In the US, it's quite possible manual gearboxes will become obsolete - such a small percentage of vehicles are now bought with them that it will stop being economic to offer them, even at the same price as autos.

That doesn't mean the same situation will exist in Europe in the foreseeable future.

What really muddies the waters is that in US economy testing, many 7/8-speed autos get better fuel economy than manuals - basically, they are in the right gear more of the time than a real person is - whereas I've never seen an EU economy test that showed the same result. Which is accurate, I don't know, though the Americans have recently changed their testing to make the results more 'real world'.

If autos were more economical than manuals, I think some of the 'enthusiasm' for changing gear might fade away.....

I had a lovely time today blasting over some Northumberland moor roads that were more like rally special stages, going airborne over crests, but to be truthful, I think my SD would have given at least as much fun were it auto.

Mon the fish
10th October 2013, 07:13 PM
The 8-speed auto is a great 'box, my dad has it in his 530d and it suits the car perfectly - he gets 48mpg out of it, which is pretty impressive for a big car.

Me, I like manual everything in a car. I drive an R53. I don't care about fuel consumption. For me, it's all about feel and involvement

KenL
11th October 2013, 06:17 AM
http://www.motoringfile.com/2013/10/10/an-early-look-at-the-f56-minis-driver-assistant-systems/#more-31097

Stewart
11th October 2013, 09:38 AM
http://s3.bimmerfile.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/P90135718-highRes-700x569.jpg

Ok I could live with that I have to emit.:phew: That’s a lot of safety systems and driving assistance to take in. This I take it is the all singing and dancing version, what does the poor mans version look like?

Seemingly BMW has worked out we cant drive. :smilewinkgrin: I could see that rear end collision being fun on the HT runs. :thumbs up:

Not too sure about this all the same.:confused:
http://s3.bimmerfile.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/P90135712-highRes-700x494.jpg

Gismo
11th October 2013, 09:48 AM
Expect to pay a hefty wedge for the mini connected version, can't see that being standard equipment and if that's the heads up display then Toy's R Us will stay in business

zimbo
11th October 2013, 10:21 AM
Oh dear, the one BIG thing that I was looking forward to seeing more info about was the HUD ...and it's pretty disappointing to be honest as I was actually thinking it would have been the version that actually gets displayed onto the actual windscreen and not that tiny miniscule screen which appears to look like an after thought and has just been plonked on top of the dash as a last minute addition and looks extremely cheap and like you've been to halfrauds or where ever to get it and you just know that it is not going to be a cheap option in the least :frown:

It looks like they are aiming this new car towards people who have no idea of how to drive or at the very least should most definately NOT be allowed on the roads if they need all this assistance to drive and park their vehicles!! :rolleyes:

With all these different coloured lights flashing and audible sounds ringing out all the time when warning you of possible collisions or changing speed limits etc etc I wouldn't be surprised if someone did have an accident or two after ****eing themselves and getting distracted and trying to figure out what they're beeping or flashing for :moonie:

Think by the time the F56s replacement is due it will be a case of get in your car, start the engine, punch in your destination sit there and have a cup of coffee or a catch up on some sleep and the car will drive itself there and park itself once it finds a suitable space and possibly wake you up if necessary when its finished. :yes nod:

The days of a normal drivers car where you do everything (including changing your own gears) seem to be disappearing rapidly :frown:

I will still reserve judgement of the final vehicle in its final dress once its on my local dealers forecourt and I have my chance to take it out on the roads. But right now as it stands its still a big no no from me.

Stewart
11th October 2013, 10:27 AM
I still think this Car will be a improvement in its Cooper guise barring that front end look over the R56. I guess when we get behind the wheel and feel what the car drives like we will all instantly know. Then the inevitable JCW will follow to raise the game yet again.

Angib
11th October 2013, 11:47 AM
It looks like they are aiming this new car towards people who have no idea of how to drive or at the very least should most definately NOT be allowed on the roads if they need all this assistance to drive and park their vehicles!! :rolleyes:

The days of a normal drivers car where you do everything (including changing your own gears) seem to be disappearing rapidly :frown:

I remember my grandad saying much the same thing - except he was talking about automatic advance/retard for ignition timing. He felt if the driver couldn't control that, they shouldn't be allowed on the roads.

Heck, how many drivers these days could even use a manual choke control?

d.oxley72
11th October 2013, 12:17 PM
At least the Moke has returned, looking much the same as before...
http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2013/10/10/The-Moke-is-Back-At-Least-for-Australia-7716616/

ELFMAN
11th October 2013, 03:35 PM
Heck, how many drivers these days could even use a manual choke control?

ME! ME! ME! :yes: What's my prize? Yeah, I know the "Old Fart of the Month" award :frown:
The choke control was my Sport Button in the early 80's!

d.oxley72
11th October 2013, 04:03 PM
My first car (an Austin Metro 1.0) had a choke. Never found it a problem as I drove a Fergie TE20 and a Series 3 Landie around the farm before I had my driving lessons.

Stewart
11th October 2013, 04:22 PM
I remember when bikes were bikes, sorry wrong add :) The old choke on the Ax was just nasty cheap, the Nova was slightly better. Always felt in the AX it was about to snap. Maybe all these things are welcome just drove past a girl that hit the Kerb at about 30, mount the pavement with a bang, come flying back onto the road onto the other lane. To the lady in the white convertible Mini with the red roof, well played....

RobSco
12th October 2013, 10:11 PM
Thought I'd ask my contacts at Peter Vardy if they were planning anything for the launch of the New F56 and have been told as I'm sure you already know this is set for March 2014. The official Launch announcements of the car is set for November 18. This is in line with Alec Issigonis birthday, Please see attached link, and have been told they will keep me informed and up to date with any other info regarding this and as soon as I know anything, will pass this on to you...

He did supply me with a link that I'm sure Stewart had something similar posted on an earlier post...

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/07/new-mini-november-18/

Stewart
17th October 2013, 06:09 PM
A wee competition to win the chance to see the new car. Worth a punt I’m sure, just be sure you don’t tick the usual new offers,deals and we'd like to send to spam guff.

Rob - As this is a completely new Car with so much new innovation and such a change from the currant model they are sure to go OTT in March if you ask me. Only 32 days till we see it. What they really should do is have a few F56 travel the dealers before March, even if they only picked two dealers in scotland it would let us see it in the flesh.

3 CITIES.
3 CONTINENTS.
3 DAYS.

WIN A TRIP TO THE NEW MINI WORLD PREMIERE.

http://www.mini.com/newmini/en/index.html

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1379973_353598498109325_149671732_n.jpg

KenL
18th October 2013, 05:32 PM
I think it will look great in the flesh ...

Stewart
24th October 2013, 05:11 PM
http://www.bimmertoday.de/wp-content/uploads/MINI-F56-Cooper-S-Teaser-London-LA-Shanghai-2013-655x436.jpg
It’s coming!

Well its near enough Halloween, question is do we have a Monster on our hands? We could be looking at a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Amazing to drive, better Tech, sweet new Engines but a dark side with those silly looks that we will get used to in the end like we always do.

I think we all knew this but the CD player is going.

RIP CD Player: The 2014 MINI to Ditch Physical Media

MINI’s F56 is a car that is not only aimed at MINI faithful but a younger demographic that sees cars less as objects of performance and more of hubs of technology. The interior of the F56 and the technology throughout the car is the result of this focus. However MINI was very careful in not only what was added but what technology was eliminated. And with the increased focus on digital media over traditional physical varieties, the in-dash CD player was an easy item to cut.

When the R50 was introduced MINI was still offering a no cost cassette deck in place of the standard CD player. It was an easy thing to do since the system was based on interchangeable DIN panel that allowed for easy swapping of technology. However with modern complex platforms (such as the F56′s UKL) offering flexibility through electronics rather than physical components, the idea of simply slotting in a CD player into an open DIN panel simply won’t work.

The solution? Offering an in-dash platform that allows 3rd party apps such as Spotify and Pandora as well as standard Bluetooth Audio streaming that supports almost any modern mobile device. In addition to that MINI’s F56 will have the typical USB interface that integrates music players from many platforms. Finally there’s the optional dash-mounted CD changer that MINI will offer for those who can’t quite let go of the joys (and consistent sound quality) of physical media.

zimbo
29th October 2013, 10:19 AM
Just seen this on MF and it's a sad day indeed, CDs = a nono now :frown: as if it wasn't bad enought that we had to make do with the integrated unit in the R56 cars now this!! :moonie:

Gismo
29th October 2013, 10:25 AM
Can't remember the last time i actually played a cd in the car, Julie's Dodge has a memory card slot, i use the ipod in my avalanche and mini, so, for me it's one thing that wouldn't worry me at all.
I've got my keeper mini now anyway, so, again, not overly concerned :lol:

Mon the fish
29th October 2013, 10:37 AM
"Cars less as objects of performance" - that's why I bought my jcw in the first place...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

KenL
29th October 2013, 10:40 PM
Since I got my current car with USB, I've hardly put a CD in it. I still buy CDs though in preference to download.

Stewart
29th October 2013, 10:57 PM
Same :( Aug 07 got the USB connector as standard and the pre-wiring for the MFSW. Mine is a July 07 and has neither :argh:

Yeah my Wee Coop was an actual Aug 07 build and registered 31 December. Knowing my luck they probably started USB as standard in the next car to my one. Considering it has all the wee extras like the sports button and seats, clear lenses, tints and the bit longer rear spoiler it’s a shame the Dealer could not have got USB but it was probably in some Media pack thing.

d.oxley72
30th October 2013, 09:13 AM
The Mini is the place where I most frequently play my CDs. Shame if the CD player is replaced with a USB socket.

Stewart
30th October 2013, 07:14 PM
http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj470/mab01uk/F56Oxford-pre-production_zpsa11e07eb.jpg

Taken the other day in a car park Oxford. The inside was covered over. :sad:

More worrying was the question why was the lass in the background holding her shoes? Answers on a postcard :smilewinkgrin:

Alex from NM
30th October 2013, 07:54 PM
maybe she was angry at the front overhang and massive wheelgap and was going to smash the windows with them?

Mon the fish
30th October 2013, 07:54 PM
She was drunk, and walking home?

Stewart
30th October 2013, 07:57 PM
I think she has changed into her driving shoe's and her boyfriend has seen the F56 and she has came to take a look what the hell is he doing while he took a quick poor picture.

Its like a UFO or Yeti does no one ever have a decent camera!!!!

Craig
30th October 2013, 08:15 PM
is it just me or has the stupid front lip gone? it looks like a straight bottom lip on the front bumper...

KenL
30th October 2013, 10:20 PM
In any decent picture of the f56 the wheel gap looks less than in the R50 or R56.

I am looking forward to the new car, the r56 has been around for a long time!

RobSco
30th October 2013, 11:54 PM
is it just me or has the stupid front lip gone? it looks like a straight bottom lip on the front bumper...

Definitely looks different to me as well Craig... :yes nod: ...Drag the photo into your Photoshop and lighten the photo where you'll see it better...

Stewart
31st October 2013, 12:17 AM
Is it still not there? This is just with a High pass on PS over it.

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/sav112g/MINIf56_zps8b8fbb6e.jpg

Mon the fish
31st October 2013, 06:48 AM
Big lip only an S thing then?

zimbo
31st October 2013, 11:32 AM
NO COMMENT... :unsure:

Crombers
1st November 2013, 12:44 AM
NO COMMENT... :unsure:

Will delay my council until seeing this in real world as I'm with you on this one .......... holding my thoughts :blink:

ELFMAN
1st November 2013, 05:48 PM
.......... holding my thoughts :blink:

I'm holding mine too.

Crombers
2nd November 2013, 02:57 AM
Thus far ......... Mk3 MINI = Mk3 Golf (least loved version) .......... hopefully not :idunno::scratch:

Stewart
6th November 2013, 12:30 AM
F57 Convertible spotted on flatbed truck and a passing F56 Coop:thumbs up: If you want to see the them full screen then here is the link.
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/f57-mini-cooper-cabriolet-spied/full/#photo-1293266

http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/129/326/6/S1293266/slug/s/f56-mini-cabrio-1-1.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/129/326/7/S1293267/slug/s/f56-mini-cabrio-2-1.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/129/326/8/S1293268/slug/s/f56-mini-cabrio-3-1.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/129/326/9/S1293269/slug/s/f56-mini-cabrio-4-1.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/129/327/0/S1293270/slug/s/f56-mini-cabrio-5-1.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/129/327/1/S1293271/slug/s/f56-mini-cabrio-6-1.jpg

ELFMAN
6th November 2013, 03:49 PM
Flatbed truck? Jeez, it's broken down already! :frown:

Stewart
6th November 2013, 04:42 PM

http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/sensible-chuckle-gif.gif

:smilewinkgrin:

The other side on said Flatbed!

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1450227_10151801320542632_130512231_n.jpg

weefossy
6th November 2013, 06:01 PM
Bonnett looks a tad long?

Gismo
6th November 2013, 06:31 PM
Imagine all the Mini maniacs stopping at the pumps on the wrong side cause the tank is on the "wrong" side :lol:

Still think that front lip is hideous

Stewart
6th November 2013, 06:37 PM
I agree I think they went too hardcore on that front lip. Yes it will increase airflow but its too much like a race car when it's less about style and more about function.

Mind you if it drives better and feels better than my coop I could grow to forgive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

zimbo
6th November 2013, 08:19 PM

That was my first thought as well Elfman :lol:

Imagine all the Mini maniacs stopping at the pumps on the wrong side cause the tank is on the "wrong" side :lol:

Still think that front lip is hideous

LHD drivers are going to have to walk a little bit further to put their fuel into their cars now, just like all these years that we have had to do previously... :thumbs up::lol:

Oh and whats with the flat black fuel cap, it's like they forgot to put one on there and thought "Oh Feck, we better rustle up something and throw it on..."

Back end of the 'S' looks like a 3 tier wedding cake or step ladder if you prefer :frown:, best thing about it is the colour (black before anyone says anything lol) and the alloys look pretty nice. Dont ask me why they felt they had to camouflage the wheel centre caps :scratch:

Mon the fish
6th November 2013, 11:16 PM
It's a badge of honour seeing your mini on the back of a flatbed. It's a natural thing.

Stewart
7th November 2013, 07:53 PM
This seems to be floating about, I don’t know if its accurate from a source or just guess work. Still no mention of the Works.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7450/10249463176_13e3981f10_b.jpg

F56 MINI (third-generation hardtop)
Debut: 18 November 2013 // European sales launch: January 2014

F55 MINI five-door (rival to Volkswagen Polo and Golf)
Debut: 3rd quarter 2014 // European sales launch: 3rd quarter 2014

F57 MINI Convertible (underpinned by current R56 convertible)
Debut: 1st quarter 2015 // European sales launch: 2nd quarter 2015

F54 MINI Clubman (likely to have two suicide doors)
Debut: 3rd quarter 2015 // European sales launch: 3rd quarter 2015

F59 MINI Roadster/Coupe (may be combined as single model)
Debut: Late 2016/early 2017 // European sales launch: Early 2017

KenL
8th November 2013, 06:48 PM
Anybody else get an email about the launch?

There is a chance to win tickets to the live launch.

You can also view the launch live online - cool!

Stewart
8th November 2013, 09:17 PM
Yeah got one today as well but I did the comp a few weeks back. I bookmarked the online Live when I did the Comp.

http://www.mini.com/newmini/en/index.html?r=1

10 Days! Although me and my MINI are not talking just now so, She’s been flashing that Oil pressure light again just the once turning sharp right:sad:. Took it down to the local Garage but they were just about to shut the doors down. They checked that Dip stick like I had done and thought it looked on the low level so put in Half a litre of oil first then another half and although light was fading fast and it was pishing we seem to think it’s at the upper marker.

It got an oil change 5K ago in April as well and as far as I know Coopers don’t use much oil.

- - - Updated - - -

THE NEW ORIGINAL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3IC6jtnUVgY

KenL
8th November 2013, 09:36 PM
Desperation!

The new hatch will be a big success. Some people might not like the looks initially but the improvements in quality, performance and economy will win people over.

I am sure the new car will be a grower, just like all the best music albums...