PDA

View Full Version : F-56

Stewart
14th November 2012, 03:40 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/14/e8y8e2e7.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/14/3u2uruqu.jpg

Not to sure about the four doors and the lights, i like the round front lights!!!!!:ragin:

I like the thought of the new engine but not at the cost of styling. I Dont know why they want to turn the hatch into four doors, that Coutryman territory. I take it there is still a three door Hatch? I’ve came to the conclusion I don’t really mind what they add to the range as long as they keep the Basic Hatch Mini looking and still the same blast to drive!

Judgment reserved!

I think its the new F-54

According to CAR's reliable sources, we expect the following highlights from the small car brand:

• A five-door hatchback F54, due in summer 2014, challenging the new A-class and A1 Sportback
• A four-door Clubman F54, due in summer 2015, takes on Mercedes CLC Shooting Brake and Audi A3 Sportback, gaining a fourth door, 10 inches in length and therefore more boot space.
• A five-door Sportvan F58, due in spring 2016, sporting a lower roof, longer-wheelbase designed in essence as a people carrier
• A four-door saloon F59, due in autumn 2016, all-new notchback zooms in on A3 Sportback

stoney
14th November 2012, 03:52 PM
interesting would be interested in seeing the 4 door cubbie

Craig
14th November 2012, 04:15 PM
Hmmmm........ ;)

N16SHP
14th November 2012, 04:34 PM
Hmmmm, not sure about the 5 doors but certainly like the lights and the scuttles. Seems to have taken similar styling cues from the Countryman. Certainly the scuttles and the back door area are similar.

gauldrymini
14th November 2012, 04:36 PM
It is like a baby CM:thumbs up:

ianking
14th November 2012, 05:11 PM
A four door saloon - just about spat my fuc*ing coffee out. Thats rediculous.

MINIme:)
14th November 2012, 06:21 PM
I try to embrace new models or at least reserve judgement.
But I'm getting a bit fed up now! :shut up:

Isn't the clubman already 4 door? or doesn't the suicide door class as a door?
5 door hatch seems pointless.
Grump over. :smilewinkgrin:

KenL
14th November 2012, 08:13 PM
Are these the usual images invented by AutoExpress? No doubt they are since they are "exclusive".

I don't see anything wrong with offering 4 doors. Its not like the car becomes a non-MINI, we have the Countryman for that!

rpn
14th November 2012, 08:23 PM
mmmm. like most others I wait and like to see a real one first. As Stewart said as long as they keep a 3-door hatch model I'm happy enough with the mag impression for the time being. But then again I like to go for a Clubbie next!

Stewart
15th November 2012, 05:40 PM
Is a four Door Clubbie just not a Countryman???? or a smaller version like the Coupe Countryman with four doors ....It gets confusing does it not ;) £10 says they drop the twin doors that make the model what it is in favour of a hatch!!!! All to bring the costs down for the good of the brand you understand.

I actually think sales of the R series will increase as past customers trying to get hold of the last R’sbefore the F’s come out. Single reason being as far as I see it, it may well be the last BMW MINI that I like style wise! They keep dropping all the nice touches for the sake of penny pinching and output.

Duncan Stewart
15th November 2012, 08:22 PM
Are these the usual images invented by AutoExpress? No doubt they are since they are "exclusive".

I hope so - looks like a bad photo shop mix of current hatch and Countryman

KenL
15th November 2012, 09:04 PM
They keep dropping all the nice touches for the sake of penny pinching and output.

I've probably mis-understood what you meant, but it is not the case that the latest versions of the current R56 are the best specified MINIs produced yet with the highest quality interiors?

I've had 4 MINIs. A 2002 ONE, a 2006 Cooper, a 2009 S and my current 2011 Cooper. It is easily the most luxurious feeling and best built by far.

Some people might not like that MINI are becoming closer to parent company but I expect that this will only make the quality of the product better.

stoney
16th November 2012, 08:25 AM
Yes the r56 is a better finish but not any where ne'er as good a drivers car as the r53 !! That's IMO !!

The Dogfather
16th November 2012, 08:39 AM
Having owned both an R50 and a R55 (and driven countless R56s), for me MINI shouldn’t be about build quality its should be about being fun to drive.

On that basis alone the R50 and R53 are superior ‘MINIs’ even if they are inferior cars.

zimbo
16th November 2012, 10:21 AM
A four door saloon - just about spat my fuc*ing coffee out. Thats rediculous.

:lol: I just about did the same thing with a mouth full of the stuff.

Yes the r56 is a better finish but not any where ne'er as good a drivers car as the r53 !! That's IMO !!

Bob have you ever had/driven an R56 etc for longer than a test drive or more than a day etc? if not then you could not know that the R56 is a worse drivers car than the R53 AND also remember that you are driving the cream of the R53 crop as well so that is kinda cheating ya fud... :hand: :lol:

I too have now learnt that I will hold judgement on any new mini models until I have seen it the metal and better still had a test drive in it, before I'll make any comments.

BUT I will say, one of the biggest reasons I got my Cooper as I did recently was because I really like this current version of the car (yes I would have prefered an S, but are still too rich for me) and I am a lot concerned about the direction that mini are heading more towards their parent company with their cars, or at least thats what it looks like after seeing those spy all over net this year with pics of the minis new dashboard with square airvents instead of the usual round ones and apparently they are going to be doing away with the huge central speedo and it will be replaced with the screen from visual boost or Nav screen and the speedos will now be placed above the steering column (rev counter, which is what I always use for my speed anyway), but things like that are mini and should stay that way. Hopefully I'll keep this car for as long as I can.

I think the biggest reason (or one of them anyway) for them to be bringing this out with two extra doors so speak will be because, a lot of people who own minis will normally be single people or couple without kids BUT will eventually go down the route of having a family and will then need to get a more accessable vehicle for the kids etc and because mini dont have a version like that (4 door) except for the countryman which is pretty expensive to be honest those said couples were leaving the mini brand and having to go elsewhere for their new family cars. Where as now those familys will now possibly be able to stay with MINI :idunno:
Thats my theory anyway and I'm sticking to it :yes nod:

And I look forward to seeing one in the flesh.

Stewart
16th November 2012, 03:22 PM
I've probably mis-understood what you meant, but it is not the case that the latest versions of the current R56 are the best specified MINIs produced yet with the highest quality interiors?

I've had 4 MINIs. A 2002 ONE, a 2006 Cooper, a 2009 S and my current 2011 Cooper. It is easily the most luxurious feeling and best built by far.

Some people might not like that MINI are becoming closer to parent company but I expect that this will only make the quality of the product better.

Ken I could not agree more with the build quality getting better and better and to be fair I really like the new finish inside the current new models. The only disappointment I ever had with my Car was because it was on Runflats and Glasgow roads made driving the car an annoyance at times. Off the Runflats the Car was a much nicer place to be and better still all squeaks disappeared from the dash area over night.

My comment on penny pinching was not directed at loss of quality but directed more that instead of keeping a feature we all love like and recognisable as MINI like the round lights, round Vents, Nice MINI body work harking back to the original. They are hell bent in dropping them to make production quicker and most cost efficient to the detriment of the brand, they have always preached about having your MINI adventure and fun and I think the fun is being sucked out. I imagine the Works and Cooper S Air scoop a feature I know is fake but just set's the Models apart from its less performance orientated brothers the Cooper will be lost. Its all these we touches that are just disappointing to see develop.

If I could drop the new interior of the current models and put this new three cylinder F series engine under the bonnet and keep the looks of my Car I’d be delighted! But I fear they are going all out to close the gap between the MINI and One series sharing as many parts out the parts bin from the Countryman as well.

I understand the view on the four door hatch to that of the price of the Countryman for families, but we all know the price for a standard MINI one is kicking on 14k and Coopers 16-18K for a small car and now second Hand Countryman are appearing lower down the chain. Never driven a Countryman but everyone still says its got that MINI feel and that even if you’re a growing family is what you want plus the extra boot space and four doors. A four door hatch will never look as nice to me as a three and unless they are extending the size of the hatch it can’t match its bigger brother for family usability unless they stretch the arse out of it. Result being instead of a Hatch that looks like it was designed for driving, a MINI it has become a bloated and longer unit to fill a gap it thinks is out there in the Market. Instead of keeping true to its original thinking of a great looking Unique car to drive that captured the market, the Hatch its being lost slowly in my view. They can argue right enough if you want a full blown drivers car then there is the Roadster and Coupe but although these are great cars, I still want my MINI well to Look Mini and that for me is the hatch that comes closest.

ELFMAN
16th November 2012, 04:46 PM
Yet another MINI, yet another debate.... when will it end???? :argh: :idunno: :thud:I remember when we just used to drive the bloody things and enjoy ourselves :motoring::excited:

All I can say is that, regardless of improved Build Quality etc etc (I'd rather have a 'slightly less well-built' R50/53/56 which gave me a buzz down a good road than a 'beautifully constructed' Fat Four-Door any day), if the MINI Hatch gets any bigger and grows any more doors, then it's Game Over for me. To me, it's a classic case of "More meaning Less".

To be honest, apart from still enjoying my car, and some (all-too intermittent these days) banter with my NMS buddies, I think I'm just getting bored with the whole thing :frown:

KenL
16th November 2012, 05:31 PM
Stewart,

I agree with what you are saying completely. The drive for more profit by companies like BMW will inevitably have some detrimental impact.

Elfman,

Stick with MINI. You'll have too, no other owner forum would appreciate your use of bold text and smilies.:whoohoo::thumbs up:

ELFMAN
16th November 2012, 06:53 PM
Elfman, Stick with MINI. You'll have to, no other owner forum would appreciate your use of bold text and smilies.:whoohoo::thumbs up:

Ah yes Ken, but I'd always hoped there was more to appreciate in my posts than aesthetics alone :smilewinkgrin:
Never forget - behind the cute cartoons and bold typefaces beats the heart of a (hopefully) informed but deranged and obsessive madman... :blink:

KenL
16th November 2012, 08:24 PM
Informed - yes. Deranged - never!!!