PDA

View Full Version : Winter tyres

Tam1314
12th November 2012, 01:51 PM
Bought the winter tyres off a guy on here and got them fitted yesterday.
Totally different feeling to the steering already, it's a lot lighter and a lot grippier.

Can't believe that I'm hoping it snows now 😄

Craig
12th November 2012, 02:19 PM
Yeah they are great fun in the snow and ice. I used to keep wanting to find snow to play in !!! ;)

MINIme:)
12th November 2012, 02:35 PM
I'm wondering if I've been encountering a lot of side winds recently - or if I've put the psi too high! feeling rather unstable laterally Craig what psi are Judes winters at? think I put mine at 35. actually 34.9 I think ;)

N16SHP
12th November 2012, 04:32 PM
Part of the reason for going with a Cooper for our Countryman was so we could get smaller steelies for winter :thumbs up:. Cannot get steelies to fit over the brakes on our S's :sad:

Big Gordy
12th November 2012, 04:45 PM
35 seems a bit high to me Joanne......unless winters are different. I normally run my tyres about 32 front/28 rear.

Gismo
12th November 2012, 05:06 PM
I keep my winter tyres on all year round :thumbs up:

Craig
12th November 2012, 05:22 PM

Sod off you !! :lol:

Craig
12th November 2012, 05:24 PM
I'm ashamed to say I've not even checked the pressures on Jude's car but it feels perfectly fine to me. I'm with Gordy tho I would have them much closer to 30 psi

12th November 2012, 07:08 PM
I'm using exactly what it said on the door panel. Which lists 15 steel size tyres as same psi as the 16s that are normally on which surprised me (34.8 to be precise. unless I'm using some messed up online converter that is doing a weird conversion!) I know the compound is softer and the profile is also larger so I'd expect it to feel different...but surprised how low you thought they should be. Also following the panel, they don't suggest different pressures for front and rear. Maybe gen 1 was different? or maybe their advice is a bit rubbish?!

Hmmmmm....

Angib
12th November 2012, 11:21 PM
I've met a couple of people that do the same in Northumberland. One drove an old Subaru and I would guess he didn't go over 40mph or beyond the local market town, and he had the same winter tyres on for several years, so they clearly don't wear out even in summer if you don't abuse them. Me, I abuse tyres, so mine get taken off in the spring.

The other had them on only the front wheels of his Skoda as "they are the only wheels that need to grip" so if he was dumb enough to do that, I didn't reckon his opinion was much use.

Gismo
13th November 2012, 07:11 AM
I've met a couple of people that do the same in Northumberland.My reply was slightly tongue in cheek since i live in Florida :lol:

Big Gordy
13th November 2012, 09:36 AM
I'm using exactly what it said on the door panel. Which lists 15 steel size tyres as same psi as the 16s that are normally on which surprised me (34.8 to be precise. unless I'm using some messed up online converter that is doing a weird conversion!) I know the compound is softer and the profile is also larger so I'd expect it to feel different...but surprised how low you thought they should be. Also following the panel, they don't suggest different pressures for front and rear. Maybe gen 1 was different? or maybe their advice is a bit rubbish?!

Hmmmmm....

Mmmmmm...I'm thinking the 35psi could be the fully loaded pressure ie with four 18 stone rugby players in it..!!

The Dogfather
13th November 2012, 09:19 PM
Yeah, fine for getting going and fine for stopping or cornering gently. It's just that if you brake near the limit of grip, you spin. It's the same as driving with bald rear tyres - it's fine 99% of the time, but it's the 1% that gets you.

I don't mind how carefully anyone believes they drive, not being able to brake as hard as the car could otherwise do isn't clever.

That limit being very low in snow conditions, you’ll have the front wheel to get your speed up but then before you know it bang the back end goes.

I’m pretty sure that if you have an accident and the car is inspected by the insurance company they’ll are argue that as you hadn’t told them you were running with mixed tyres you won’t be insured. I remember being asked (when I told them that I was fitting winter tyres) whether I was fitting a full set, that was with Chris Knott.

stoney
13th November 2012, 11:01 PM
i put full sets on my van and car but car is not going out in snow this year so wont be going on !!

13th November 2012, 11:08 PM
Mmmmmm...I'm thinking the 35psi could be the fully loaded pressure ie with four 18 stone rugby players in it..!!

I think I'm sad enough to have taken a photo of the panel at some point last year...... hang on...... (but no, that's the pressure suggested for 2 folk in the car I think) :crazypilot:

- - - Updated - - -

3866 here it is! :bow:

I wonder WHY I ever took this photo..... :unsure:

ianking
14th November 2012, 02:08 PM
Im only putting winters on the front.
Exactly the same set up as all my work vehicles were last year and it was fine.

I wont be going quickly or any where near limitations in the cold weather. I am like Ali and just want to be able to pull away from my un cleared street so that i can get on the cleared and salted motorway to my work.

Craig
14th November 2012, 04:11 PM
You nearly made me laugh there Ian with your "cleared and salted motorway" comment.... :lol:

A clear route outside a major police station and hospital would also be a priority you would think ;)

14th November 2012, 06:14 PM
the problem with salt is that it's a lubricant and they have a habit of spreading far too much of the stuff when it's not cold enough to be needed (and then not enough when it is...) and it just makes the road slippery. :frown:

Big Gordy
14th November 2012, 08:01 PM
I think I'm sad enough to have taken a photo of the panel at some point last year...... hang on...... (but no, that's the pressure suggested for 2 folk in the car I think) :crazypilot:

- - - Updated - - -

3866 here it is! :bow:

I wonder WHY I ever took this photo..... :unsure:

Well what do you know.....just looked and our R50 plate says 2.4 front / 2.1 rear....just goes to prove that every days a school day :thumbs up:

14th November 2012, 10:53 PM
that's interesting about reversing, I didn't know that - good tip!

Tam1314
15th November 2012, 01:55 PM
Knowing my luck it will be a very milf winter and the tyres won't be tested fully.

The Dogfather
15th November 2012, 03:24 PM
Knowing my luck it will be a very milf winter and the tyres won't be tested fully.

I guessing you mean mild, but i suppose if you’re in bed a lot you wouldn’t get chance to use the tyres either.

Craig
15th November 2012, 03:30 PM
I guessing you mean mild, but i suppose if you’re in bed a lot you wouldn’t get chance to use the tyres either.

PMSL :lol:

gauldrymini
15th November 2012, 03:30 PM

...belter!:laugh::thumbs up:

15th November 2012, 06:36 PM
:lol:

Tam1314
15th November 2012, 06:41 PM
Bloody Iphone :p

Tam1314
6th December 2012, 12:25 AM
Well the tyres passed with flying colours today.
A very assured and safe drive into ARI this morning. No skidding or spinning on the way out the drive which is on a wee bit of a hill. And the rest of the journey was a breeze.
Really want the snow to go now tho as we are flying out of Aberdeen on Monday to go to Australia for a month.

rpn
6th December 2012, 08:07 AM
Apologise :off topic:

Really want the snow to go now tho as we are flying out of Aberdeen on Monday to go to Australia for a month.

Nice, coming up to their summer there now. Friends of mine are going there too on Monday for THREE months!!!!

Tam1314
6th December 2012, 08:35 AM
No use for winter tyres out in Perth 😄.

No snow overnight in Blackburn anyway so that's a good sign.

Superjay92
22nd January 2013, 09:21 PM
Had to Dig my Mini out the snow 8 times today at work........... Wish I got her winter tyres now! haha :sad:

ianking
31st January 2013, 01:38 PM
Just to let you all know, I have the snow tyres on the front only and Im still alive.
My car hasnt spun sideways in a fire ball of death.

The tyres certainly helped me alot the other week get to and from work.

Big Col
31st January 2013, 01:55 PM
Part of the reason for going with a Cooper for our Countryman was so we could get smaller steelies for winter :thumbs up:. Cannot get steelies to fit over the brakes on our S's :sad:

Of COURSE I looked into this before ordering my 'S! What does everyone take me for...:argh:

N16SHP
31st January 2013, 02:14 PM
Of COURSE I looked into this before ordering my 'S! What does everyone take me for...:argh:

Ha ha...if I'm catching your drift here I believe the phrase you are looking for is "D'oh!"

Big Col
31st January 2013, 02:21 PM
Ha ha...if I'm catching your drift here I believe the phrase you are looking for is "D'oh!"

That is exactly the phrase I was after. Looks like another set of winter alloys will be required. D'OH!!!! :D

Craig
31st January 2013, 02:45 PM
Just to let you all know, I have the snow tyres on the front only and Im still alive.

The tyres certainly helped me alot the other week get to and from work.

Be honest Ian, the ONLY reason you don't have 4 winter tyres is cos your tight, not because its not a good idea !! :lol:

Crombers
31st January 2013, 05:18 PM
That is exactly the phrase I was after. Looks like another set of winter alloys will be required. D'OH!!!! :D

Oh stop it :hand:

The Dogfather
31st January 2013, 06:40 PM
Just ordered 4 steel wheels for the van, £135 including postage. The winter tyres to go on them will be considerably more but I’ve got till next November to sort them. I won’t have any problems with ground clearance with the van. The up side being if I do get stuck I can just put the heater on make a brew and sit in out in comfort.

The MX5 will go in spring, need to find a cheap run around to replace it though as the missus won’t drive the van.

Angib
1st February 2013, 11:32 AM
Yeah, but that could be because you've avoided the problem. How many emergency stops did you have to do?

I bet we could drive cars with only rear wheel brakes, if we took enough care, but that doesn't make it sensible.

The Dogfather
1st February 2013, 12:18 PM

I think this would be called tempting fate.

Every piece of advice I’ve seen says you should fit 4 tyres not 2. You’ve gone against that advice and so far you’ve been lucky that’s all. I hope it stays that way.

I had proper tank slapper when I drove my car in the snow on summer tyres, the car actually spun in to the oncoming lane, this was on the straight at slowish speed just cruising, no warning. Fortunately I caught it and there was nothing coming the other way, that's something thats never happened with winters on. Now you’ve actually got that difference in performance between the front and back tyres. Scary thought!

For the sake of a £160, I’m not sure I’d take that risk.

ELFMAN
1st February 2013, 03:48 PM
I think sometimes we can get almost TOO safety-conscious these days... (controversial! :hand:) Of course I'm not saying we shouldn't fit Winter Tyres and as a 'car buff' I'm obviously well aware of their benefits, but I have to admit I've actually never had them on any of my cars, JCW 210+ MINI included, and that car was out every day for 5 years in all weathers. I reckon a lot of it boils down to WHERE you're driving, WHAT you're driving and HOW you're driving it, so maybe I've been lucky that I've never NEEDED to fit them? For instance, if my journey to and from work had been a lot longer, it might have been a no-brainer...

It's only comparitively recently that there has been such a tyre choice freely available, not to mention the info/advertising to publicise it, so it's now quite normal to automatically switch to winter tyres, but as far as I'm aware it wasn't really thought about a while ago. I guess we just used to drive very carefully in crap weather :smilewinkgrin:. I drove my (just traded) '98 1.1 Peugeot 106 for 4 years through the worst weather (remember yon horrible snow a couple of years ago?) on its wee 'normal' Conti EcoContact 165's and it would trundle past most other stuff stuck on the snowy roads. I think the combination of next-to-no torque/power and skinny tyres did the trick! :thumbs up: Arguably, if the weather's really bad, you shouldn't be out risking life and limb in it anyway :frown:

3968 "CAIRO! Poisonous Monkey!!"
"ELFMAN's Memory Lanes", sponsored by 'Werther's Originals' and 'Glenfiddich' single malt whisky.
I remember... I used to take my old cars (Hillman Avenger - RWD, various Novas, Pug 106's, Minis) up the Lanarkshire back roads in the snow - when nobody else was out - zoom about and handbrake around the bends etc, Ahh, the foolishnes of youth! Damn good fun though!
:snow: :motoring: AND I NEVER BINNED IT! Though that was probably due as much to luck as my judgement! :phew: But I certainly wasn't "Ve'y, Ve'y Drunk..."

The Dogfather
1st February 2013, 05:43 PM
In certain areas of the country you don’t need them I’ve advised my dad who lives in Blackpool, possibly the least snowiest place in the UK, that he doesn’t need them.

The point I was making was that if you fit them because you need them then you should fit 4 and not just 2 to the drive wheels as that potentially makes the car unpredictable, that’s all.

ELFMAN
1st February 2013, 05:51 PM
The point I was making was that if you fit them because you need them then you should fit 4 and not just 2 to the drive wheels as that potentially makes the car unpredictable, that’s all.

I wouldn't dispute that point, as personally I'm not a fan of 'mix and matching' tyres at all - winter or otherwise. I like to have the same rubber on all the corners :thumbs up:
Having variable levels of grip/reaction end-to-end (and especially side-to-side) isn't really the best set-up. This is where Mr. King calls me an old f@rt! :smilewinkgrin: :moonie:

The Dogfather
1st February 2013, 05:57 PM
I completely agree, I was sold a car that have directional and asymmetrical on the same axle, I got them to send me a new asymmetrical tyre after getting evidence from Bridgestone that it was unsafe.

Angib
2nd February 2013, 03:46 PM
I think the combination of next-to-no torque/power and skinny tyres did the trick! :thumbs up:
Yes, winters become more valuable as tyres become wider. I once had a 2CV and that was unstoppable. My previous justa-Cooper on 15s didn't have much trouble either.

I think winters only make sense if you regularly drive on ungritted/unsalted roads and that is a small percentage of the population these days. Getting around in snow is nice, but it's the protection from black ice that I find the really big benefit - sliding at snow-driving speeds might bend a wheel but isn't likely to kill you, whereas I reckon winters may have saved my life on black ice where without them, I would probably slipped off the road, dropped 20 feet and rolled over.

Tam1314
2nd February 2013, 04:29 PM
Well certainly can't fault the Pirelli winters 😄

Mon the fish
3rd February 2013, 12:10 PM
Winters are a no-brainer. I've spent a lot of time and money getting my suspension setup just right, from roll bars to camber to damping. Without wishing to boast, my R53 is now unbelievable in turn-in and general grip and balance. I don't have winters on my car, as it's just a weekend toy so I don't need them.

On one particular corner in the summer, I can go round at illegal speeds easily, whereas the wife's Clubby starts struggling at 60.

A few weeks ago, before any snow or ice when it was 3 degrees, the wife's Clubby on winters could take said corner about 10-15 mph quicker than my car.

Says it all to me really.

ELFMAN
3rd February 2013, 05:23 PM
On one particular corner in the summer, I can go round at illegal speeds easily, whereas the wife's Clubby starts struggling at 60. A few weeks ago, before any snow or ice when it was 3 degrees, the wife's Clubby on winters could take said corner about 10-15 mph quicker than my car. Says it all to me really.

Points all taken, and I don't mean to try to teach my granny to suck eggs or sound like an old fart, but I'm not sure that comparing outright achievable winter cornering speeds on the road is a great idea - that's OK on a test track, but to be able to push it '10 - 15mph quicker' round the bends in winter whatever tyres you're wearing isn't necessarily a Good Thing. If that's on or near the limit of adhesion, it's like saying that on 'Winters' you can take the bend that much quicker before you visit the scenery! Winters obviously deal with these adverse conditions better than 'summer' tyres, but they still have their limits too :smilewinkgrin:

Also, from experience of quite a few chilly winter NMS runs, wouldn't it be true to say that, even on identical rubber, a lower-powered softer-suspended car will tend to deal with greasy winter roads a bit better than a more powerful, stiffer one? While of course the opposite would be true in better conditions, when the more 'extreme' setup would come into its own?

Mon the fish
3rd February 2013, 05:40 PM
The road was bone dry, a clear winter morning. I've set my damping up to be softer then the R55 OEM ones, which are frankly rubbish; far too stiff.

Yes, I was driving quick, but it was the feel approaching the limit - there is far more grip in reserve on winters in colder conditions, even on OEM suspension as opposed to a proper setup

ELFMAN
3rd February 2013, 08:00 PM
Yeah, but you could just slow down a bit in Winter and save yourself a few hundred quid! :laugh::thumbs up:

Angib
3rd February 2013, 11:39 PM
Yeah, but you could just slow down a bit in Winter and save yourself a few hundred quid! :laugh::thumbs up:

And if we just slowed down in summer, we could save many thousands of quids. Where's the fun in that?

ELFMAN
4th February 2013, 02:02 AM
And if we just slowed down in summer, we could save many thousands of quids. Where's the fun in that?

:hand: Well, for a start I don't remember suggesting we slow down in Summer!
Please don't get the idea you're dealing with "Driving Miss Daisy" here - I know how to have whole heaps of MINI-related fun "in the Summertime, when the weather is fine..." as the song goes. I just meant that when the weather was crap at this time of year you don't have to be Professor Brian Cox to suggest that it might make sense to ease off the gas a bit rather than relying on Winter rubber to try to keep up your speed.

Mon the fish
4th February 2013, 07:54 AM
It's not that - my point is that (with experience), proper suspension > OEM suspension. In winter, OEM suspension with winter tyres > proper setup, well for pure grip anyway - not just traction, as most people seem to think.

The winters are on the wife's stock Clubby. As I don't use my car much, winters aren't needed for me, so I can make the comparison

ELFMAN
4th February 2013, 01:32 PM
It's not that - my point is that (with experience), proper suspension > OEM suspension. In winter, OEM suspension with winter tyres > proper setup, well for pure grip anyway - not just traction, as most people seem to think. The winters are on the wife's stock Clubby. As I don't use my car much, winters aren't needed for me, so I can make the comparison

I know Mon, forgive me - I was just doing a wee bit of 'Devil's Advocacy'! :smilewinkgrin: :hand: :blush:

It now seems to be the 'accepted thing' to automatically fit winters, and as I've never felt it to be a "must", I thought it might be good just to question the necessity! The winters certainly give better grip, braking and traction etc - it's been proved in numerous 'back to back' tests - but as I tend to make a point of driving much more cautiously at this time of year I've managed to make do with my 'all-year' rubber on my various cars. I'm sure I'd feel the benefit of winters, but I'm prepared to drive within the limitations of the 'non-winters' and it's worked - for me... so far! (kiss of death). Like yours, my MINI's now a 'NMS Run/weekend/holiday' warrior and mostly tends to be tucked up in the garage in crap weather - though I did take it through the snow down to Langholm and beyond (on some pretty untreated roads) for my birthday weekend last December. It actually coped OK, and even made it up a dodgy farm road hill to the house we were staying in - eventually! (4 goes). But I did take the more dodgy bits very carefully.

Re. OEM Suspension etc. The 'worst' OEM suspension I've experienced was on my '01 COOPER with its 'Sports Plus', which was obviously filled with weapons-grade Viagra! Got away with it as although I was on Runflats, they were 16's with a bit more sidewall. My '03 R53 had 'Sports Suspension', which was actually a bit softer that the SP+, and I was still on 16's. The R53 JCW setup was a noticeable improvement (still with 16's + runflats), and quite acceptable most of the time. The 'Sports' setup on the R56 with 17" Runflats was OK on smooth, dry roads, but even then could feel a bit 'tip-toey' and I found it actually quite dangerous on greasy, bumpy cold stuff. My current JCW/Non-runflat version is pretty good, but still not 'Coilover good'.
So I do agree with you Re. stiff suspension/tyres etc :thumbs up: I just couldn't resist putting a wee stick in the spokes of accepted practice! :snow: :motoring:Safe driving everybody! :bigwave:

ps - Just looking out the window (in Hamilton).
It's gone very dark and windy and just started snowing -

"Do not tempt me , ELFMAN!"
God must have been on NMS!!! :thud:

Craig
4th February 2013, 01:58 PM
I've been an advocate of winters for a few years now and all my cars get a set (except the GP ;))

For me it's the security/safety of being able to get where you need to during the bad weather. For me, also being able to get to all my family when required is a huge plus. It's worth a few hundred pound for me not to have to worry about that :thumbs up:

A guy at my work Finally fitted winters this year and where he couldn't normally get to work, got there with no problems or dramas. He said it was like driving on a normal road, despite it being covered in snow. It's what I had been saying to him for years :yes nod:

ELFMAN
4th February 2013, 02:51 PM
Maybe I should invest in some for the wee Fabia - just in case :rain: :snow: :scratch:

I know where you're coming from Craig - I'm quite lucky in that I only have a fairly short journey to and from work and Dad's in the same house - so I can get to him by walking across the room! I suppose personal/family/work circumstances dictate just how necessary the Winters are.

The Dogfather
4th February 2013, 02:57 PM
I certainly wouldn’t spend money on winters unless I lived in an area that gets regular snow, it appears that from the last six years that Burnhope is firmly in that category. In fact I’d says its one of the snowiest places in the UK.

I know winters have a performance advantage but its not so marked that a car becomes undriveable in winter on summer tyres.

Craig
4th February 2013, 02:59 PM
Good Idea Euan - although you have the initial outlay, bear in mind that your "summers" will last twice as long ;)

ELFMAN
4th February 2013, 04:33 PM
Good Idea Euan - although you have the initial outlay, bear in mind that your "summers" will last twice as long ;)

Working close to home, I do low annual miles Craig - so if I had TWO sets of tyres, my "Summers" would probably outlast the car! :Whistle:

The Dogfather
4th February 2013, 11:56 PM
If anyone want to see the problems with fitting just 2 winter tyres, watch the clip below from 3 minutes in.

2ObVLNHk-i4#!

Crombers
5th February 2013, 01:03 AM
I certainly wouldn’t spend money on winters unless I lived in an area that gets regular snow, it appears that from the last six years that Burnhope is firmly in that category. In fact I’d says its one of the snowiest places in the UK.

I know winters have a performance advantage but its not so marked that a car becomes undriveable in winter on summer tyres.

I'm in Paul's camp. Yeah we get snow & sometimes around the likes of Newton Mearns, Eaglesham & East Kilbride (on the hills of Glasgow South), we can get a fair old dump of the stuff. However in 30 years of driving I have never had to bail out once. I'm also sure we have all seen people who just don't have a clue how to drive in ice/snow.
I'm sure winter tyres do exactly what they say on the tin but once I get put of this or any previous area/estate I have lived in and on to a main(ish) ploughed road then I can pretty much get anywhere.

5th February 2013, 01:44 AM
For me, they just make me feel a bit less scared. Not confident, and certainly not cocky, just less scared - as I have always hated and been fearful of driving in snowy or slushy conditions. I justified the cost to myself on safety and I also bought them last year when I could actually afford them. Also I know there's a market for selling them on second hand.

The Dogfather
5th February 2013, 08:55 AM
Crombers, I would say that your location would justify having them.

Crombers
5th February 2013, 11:54 AM
Crombers, I would say that your location would justify having them.

I would agree if I had to deal with prolonged periods of ice/snow, but that has rarely happened.
Rain is always a winner in these parts so having decent boots/tread is a good starter.

Angib
5th February 2013, 11:11 PM
Rain is always a winner in these parts so having decent boots/tread is a good starter.

In which case, you ought to try a set of winters as they are also wet tyres and their wet braking doesn't feel to be far off their dry performance. Much better than even brand new summer tyres on a wet summer road.

Winters only really make sense if you drive outside gritted areas - and that's urban, suburban and main roads nowadays - so that's under 20% of the population at most.

The Dogfather
5th February 2013, 11:32 PM
They certainly don’t grit the roads much in Burnhope, I guess the council must know that most houses have dogs in the area and have decided not to grit as the salt is bad for dogs. :scratch:

Crombers
6th February 2013, 03:13 AM
In which case, you ought to try a set of winters as they are also wet tyres and their wet braking doesn't feel to be far off their dry performance. Much better than even brand new summer tyres on a wet summer road.

Winters only really make sense if you drive outside gritted areas - and that's urban, suburban and main roads nowadays - so that's under 20% of the population at most.

I take on board what you say but until the powers that be make it law then I'll just stick (gerrrit!!) to decent (all year) boots :thumbs up:

- - - Updated - - -

They certainly don’t grit the roads much in Burnhope, I guess the council must know that most houses have dogs in the area and have decided not to grit as the salt is bad for dogs. :scratch:

My wee Alfie avoids grit/salt, ......... wee woofter (class eh!!) that he is :Whistle:

Big Col
6th February 2013, 08:00 AM
My wee Alfie avoids grit/salt, ......... wee woofter (class eh!!) that he is :Whistle:

:argh: