PDA

View Full Version : Question?

gauldrymini
5th November 2012, 12:52 PM
Is it the norm for the wheels not to be removed during a service inspection?:scratch: I ask as the CM had its first service recently and the weekend past I changed onto steelies and winter tyres. Trying to remove the alloys wheels was a joke twas like they fooking super glued on:argh:. Job was eventually completed many many hours later with plenty of sweary words (including questioning if the said tyres's parents were married!), jacking car up - letting it down, thumping and a hammering...

...still to to the convertible ones yet:thud::thud::thud:

Craig
5th November 2012, 01:03 PM
They don't take them off Andrew... :(. They just look thro the wheels to check the brakes. No taking wheels off, cleaning the pads, reassemble and grease like the good old days.

This is common place with most main dealers ... That's why all my servicing (apart from Elmo) goes to an independent as they actually "service" the car ;)

gauldrymini
5th November 2012, 02:13 PM
...would explain why the wheels were how they were:rolleyes:

Craig
5th November 2012, 02:19 PM
Jude's were the same. Lots of banging and crashing to get them off. No copper slip used at all :(

gauldrymini
5th November 2012, 02:50 PM
Jude's were the same. Lots of banging and crashing to get them off. No copper slip used at all :(

...rubbed some copper anti seize on to the hubs to see if this helps but I seem to remember doing the very same when the alloys were put back on in April past:rolleyes:

...oh well:yawn:

MINIme:)
5th November 2012, 03:19 PM
yep a lot of banging to get mine off too! the phrase "these wheels have been put on too tight" was spoken by the lad. lucky for me, I was watching with my arms folded and not actually having to graft.
(I did hurt my back carrying the wheels to and from the car and lifting them in and out though)

Gismo
5th November 2012, 03:43 PM
A wee tip, back off the nuts/bolts a couple turns, drive car forwards a wee bit or even attempt to spin the front wheels and braking hard for the rears.
This is of course very dangerous and should only be attempted by competent people :rolleyes:

Obviously do not go for a long drive, should be performed in a 10 yard distance AND i cannot be held liable for any damage caused :hand:

gauldrymini
5th November 2012, 04:46 PM
A wee tip, back off the nuts/bolts a couple turns, drive car forwards a wee bit or even attempt to spin the front wheels and braking hard for the rears.
This is of course very dangerous and should only be attempted by competent people :rolleyes:

Obviously do not go for a long drive, should be performed in a 10 yard distance AND i cannot be held liable for any damage caused :hand:

...read about this method, then thought ... No:unsure:

MINIme:)
5th November 2012, 07:35 PM
I'm sticking to the "watch with arms folded and make encouraging comments" method :lol:

weefossy
5th November 2012, 08:11 PM
That's the way I do it, local garage gave me the tip. You don't need to losen the nuts too much, so there is no real danger. The tightness is something to do with two different metal alloys being in contact. Like alan, don't hold me responsible if it goes wrong.