PDA

View Full Version : Northern MINI now closed

The Dogfather
29th October 2012, 10:29 PM
I’ve taken the decision to shut NM down.

Its been very quiet over there and I can’t see it picking up, decided to draw a line rather than have a slow death.

I’ve now pointed people north to NMS for their MINI fix.

Craig
29th October 2012, 10:43 PM
thats a shame Paul, but I think we all see there being a down turn in forum activity for lots of clubs/forums.... A lot of it is to do with how much cash people have in their pockets and as you'll have seen from NMS this year, there has been less runs than in previous years... NMS has been much quieter too, but thats also to do with social media being more accessible...

Anyway, if you listen to the Tories, (it's like listening to Del Boy), this time next year we'll be millionaires ! :lol:

weefossy
29th October 2012, 11:13 PM
Paul, it's a sad day. Think as Craig says, it's a sign of the times. People have to pick and choose what they spend their money on. On the positive side, it brought a lot of people together and I certainly met some really nice folk through the joint ventures of NMS and Northern Mini, especially on all the Highland Tours. I won't be removing my NM sticker just yet. It might be worth more than the car in a few years time.

MINIme:)
29th October 2012, 11:24 PM
sorry to hear that Paul. You're all very welcome here :welcome:

I'm starting to actually hate facebook even though I use it so much. So many hundreds of hours of my life lost in inane cr4p.

Tam1314
29th October 2012, 11:40 PM
Lets start a revolt against facelessbook

Gismo
29th October 2012, 11:43 PM
Ah Paul, gutted for you mate, thanks for pointing folks in this direction.
You could maybe post up saying that i would be prepared to create an area for (South) Northerners to continue their special bletherings.

As folks have pointed out, NMS is also very quiet, mainly due to social media

The Dogfather
30th October 2012, 12:13 AM
Alan, when I do the holding page I’ll mention that. Shame we can’t export the user accounts to NMS to save them registering.

I’m not too upset, I have another project to keep me busy, a motorhome site www.nomadgb.co.uk (http://www.nomadgb.co.uk) only just gone live but positive feedback so far.

Burple
30th October 2012, 11:01 AM
That is a real shame Paul, it's gutting that all the hard work setting it all up has gone by the wayside like that. It was always (well nearly ;)) a nice place to visit, plenty of banter and giggles.

I had noticed it getting quieter with each visit, and that's sad. I think what others have said about less runs because of less cash is very true, I can relate to that. A Mini run is a rare luxury just now :sad:

Good luck with the motorhome site tho! You know you and all your fellow 'Northerners' are always welcome here! :thumbs up::bigwave:

P.s... Sooooo... I f I bought a Countryman, could I join the Motorhome site? ;);):laugh::laugh::laugh:

The Dogfather
30th October 2012, 11:52 AM
TBH, its not just information for motorhomes although that’s its primary purpose.

There will be info on walks, chippys, Park and Rides and beaches so probably something for other users as well.

I think a Countryman might have a similar kerb weight to my van though. ;)

ianking
30th October 2012, 01:39 PM
Shame about northern mini

If we got rid of the NMS facebook site would that generate more traffic on NMS, I think so. Something to think about?

Stewart
30th October 2012, 05:09 PM
I suppose it was a sign of the media times when I first learned the site was closed by Alex on Facebook. Sad indeed, I’ll miss the pirate guy- can we adopt him please! Ian you know what I never, ever really go into NMS facebook as it just does not replicate the chat on here.

As has been said for sentimental value I’ll be keeping my NM sticker on.

Good luck on the new site.

weefossy
30th October 2012, 05:46 PM
Think i knew that you could get onto / see NMS from facebook, but never realised there was a Facebook NMS site. Suppose I wouldn't as I don't use Facebook

Crombers
30th October 2012, 09:23 PM
Sorry to hear the sad news chaps, hopefully NMS can fill a void for the more active NM followers

Is next years HT still on the cards?

30th October 2012, 11:01 PM
Ian you know what I never, ever really go into NMS facebook as it just does not replicate the chat on here.

Good luck on the new site.

^^^ what he said :yes nod:

The Dogfather
31st October 2012, 12:34 AM
Is next years HT still on the cards?

All down to Alex, I’m assuming it is.
I might even tag along in the van, I should still be able to keep up with you, ya auld fart. :moonie: ;)

Crombers
31st October 2012, 02:05 PM
All down to Alex, I’m assuming it is.
I might even tag along in the van, I should still be able to keep up with you, ya auld fart. :moonie: ;)

The way I'm driving these days Stewart will be giving me a run for me money :motoring:

'I've gone all soft' :blush:

weefossy
31st October 2012, 03:21 PM
It's an age thing...............and I'm there already....doh!

Stewart
31st October 2012, 11:12 PM
MINI owners don’t get softer or older they just stiffen there suspension and increase the horses under the bonnet. ;)

31st October 2012, 11:18 PM
The way I'm driving these days Stewart will be giving me a run for me money :motoring:

'I've gone all soft' :blush:

:clap: nowt wrong with a relaxing bit of slow :thumbs up:

Alex from NM
1st November 2012, 08:47 PM
Of course the Highland Tour is still on peoples! Lets face it all the potential runners are registered on here and a lot of them know when it is.

Crombers
2nd November 2012, 04:10 PM
Of course the Highland Tour is still on peoples! Lets face it all the potential runners are registered on here and a lot of them know when it is.

Having taken all things into account I am pleased to say hat there is no effin way we are gona miss this last NM/NMS collaboration/piss up/drive like you stole it, so names down please kind sir :thumbs up:

Alex from NM
3rd November 2012, 07:43 PM
Having taken all things into account I am pleased to say hat there is no effin way we are gona miss this last NM/NMS collaboration/piss up/drive like you stole it, so names down please kind sir :thumbs up:

Alex likes this ;)

ELFMAN
5th November 2012, 02:58 PM
Shame about northern mini. If we got rid of the NMS facebook site would that generate more traffic on NMS, I think so. Something to think about?

I agree, it's certainly not a good day when something like NM closes... :frown:

This is sort of :off topic:
I must admit, I was a bit confused (there's a shock...) about NMS and Facebook (I'm not a FB fan, BTW), and now I'm not sure if I've got a handle on the current setup. :idunno:

So - have I got this right? - there's actually an 'alternative NMS site' on Facebook which those of us 'not F-Booked-up old f@rts' aren't party to. Hmm. It had been mentioned in recent times that this site has been a bit quieter, and I was under the impression that the Facebook thing was all about injecting a bit of 'Nitrous Oxide' into proceedings, BUT if there's now stuff on FB which could (and arguably should) be on here, and is 'missing', isn't it quite counter-productive? If there's now less traffic on the 'real' NMS Website because of FB, surely instead of breathing new life into the NMS we all know and love, it might arguably be slowly bleeding it dry.
So if the FB 'Laughing Gas' isn't producing power, it might be an anaesthetic! :thud:

Craig
5th November 2012, 03:18 PM
Euan, to clarify, the FB NMS page was setup to raise awareness of NMS and nothing else. As your prob aware there is over 1 billion people who use FB worldwide and Alan was just trying to tap into that fan base a bit. Take comfort in the fact that most info in FB is also posted on NMS, so your not missing out... ;)

Gismo
5th November 2012, 03:45 PM
Euan, to clarify, the FB NMS page was setup to raise awareness of NMS and nothing else. As your prob aware there is over 1 billion people who use FB worldwide and Alan was just trying to tap into that fan base a bit. Take comfort in the fact that most info in FB is also posted on NMS, so your not missing out... ;)What Craig says :thumbs up: the traffic on the NMS Facebook page is minimal, almost to the extreme of not making any difference to NMS at all.

ELFMAN
5th November 2012, 06:20 PM
Euan, to clarify, the FB NMS page was setup to raise awareness of NMS and nothing else. As your prob aware there is over 1 billion people who use FB worldwide and Alan was just trying to tap into that fan base a bit. Take comfort in the fact that most info in FB is also posted on NMS, so your not missing out... ;)

Thanks for sorting that one guys. I (obviously) wasn't sure of how the whole thing worked :argh:
I thought that was the case until I read that there were things happening on FB and not on NMS - and obviously got the wrong end of the schtick.
I think I'm losing touch with NMS myself a wee bit these days... real life keeps getting in the way! :dizzy::explode:

ianking
6th November 2012, 01:56 PM
But why do folk post on the NMS facebook site that arent even on here?

stoney
6th November 2012, 02:06 PM
But why do folk post on the NMS facebook site that arent even on here?

That's just Greg and Kim they are really the only ones that post in there that don't post in here !! For some reason ! But I know what you mean :D

T5LLC
7th November 2012, 12:45 PM
Sometimes it's just easier to post on nms fb- especially from your phone.. IMO

stoney
7th November 2012, 02:05 PM
Sometimes it's just easier to post on nms fb- especially from your phone.. IMO

Get tappa talk and its as easy as Facebook

ELFMAN
7th November 2012, 04:28 PM
I'm "Old Skool", and am currently training a Crack Squadron of NMS Carrier Pigeons... :crazypilot:
... although the Crack tends to make them a bit wayward - and quite violent :frown:

weefossy
7th November 2012, 05:57 PM
I'm with you Elfman....."tappa swalk" would be much easier.
I've just found out that my phone has got a camera on it........I assume it's so I can take pictures of myself while Sioban is giving me instructions........:nag:

ELFMAN
7th November 2012, 06:27 PM
I'm with you Elfman....."tappa swalk" would be much easier.
I've just found out that my phone has got a camera on it........I assume it's so I can take pictures of myself while Sioban is giving me instructions........:nag:

Photos? :camflash::moonie: Instructions? :hand: Does Sioban have a 'Special Outfit' for this sort of thing? :blush: Shouldn't this be in the "Off Topic and Deviant" Section? :stop:

T5LLC
7th November 2012, 06:58 PM
Get tappa talk and its as easy as Facebook

Maybe so.. I've not got it yet so can't comment just throwing out reasons why certain individuals may use Facebook nms as appose to the main site..

weefossy
8th November 2012, 12:04 AM
Euan great post.......were you sucking on a Werther's when you came up with that one!! Or was "nursey" just about to bring your tablets...lol.

ELFMAN
8th November 2012, 02:04 PM
3860 Num Num Num... :drool: