PDA

View Full Version : A Cautionary Tale

The Dogfather
27th October 2012, 10:43 AM
Last night we went to see Skyfall the new Bond film, which was excellent BTW.

We knew it was going to be cold, and the forecast was for light snow overnight. I thought that the roads would be OK as the snow would be unlikely to lie if it was light. I knew the MX5 was poor in snow without the winter tyres on but I thought it was too early for the winter tyres. :argh:

We came out of the cinema at 10.30pm to a blizzard, this was at Gateshead Metro Centre which is at close to sea level. We then had to journey home to Burnhope which is at 853ft. The roads at first were a bit tricky but I managed to keep the car going. Just outside Stanley we had our first moment, proper tank slapper into the opposite lane, I caught the slides and kept us going.

The came the climb up into Stanley, I kept the car going and thought we’d make it until a BMW driver stopped in front of us. Bang went the momentum. We had another 3 attempts at the hill but by now the snow was starting to build up. We were 4 miles from home, there was no Taxis running and Jackie only had a light coat. Fortunately I managed to flag down a couple who lived in the next village along to ours and they gave us a lift.

The snow that fell last night was only 2 inches deep. I’ve driven the MX5 with winters in snow nearly 7 inches deep without a problem. This is the difference winter tyres make, I think we wouldn’t have made it home last night if we’d not have been rescued by the couple in the volvo.

Needless to say that the winter tyres will be going on the car as soon as possible…...

MINIme:)
27th October 2012, 10:55 AM
gah not a story I wanted to hear, bit worried about getting back from Balfron late tonight as I haven't managed to get the wheels swapped :(

glad you're all safe though!

Craig
27th October 2012, 11:30 AM
Yeah Paul, I live with the mantra of "better safe than sorry" so the winters are on all but Jude's MINI which is getting done in about another hour ;)

Some of the boys at work slag me off for having winters but I have never failed to get to work or my mum in any of the recent winters or had "a moment" in the slippy conditions ;)

Glad that family stopped to help you, Cos that's something that also doesn't happen much these days ... :(

The Dogfather
27th October 2012, 11:38 AM
Craig - a lot of cars went past without stopping.

Alex from NM
27th October 2012, 12:07 PM
no snow not 20 miles away on the coast at Seaham weirdly, yet everywhere else is covered by the sounds of it. Still haven't got my winters on either yet

Craig
27th October 2012, 12:10 PM
Craig - a lot of cars went past without stopping.

Yeah - happens all too often these days... Sad state of affairs in society ...

Neil - TXJ
27th October 2012, 01:48 PM
Glad you got back ok and kind people are still around. My Zafira caught fire on boxing day driving home from the midlands one year. A family stopped and took my wife and 2 kids back to their house until AA arrived.

Stewart
27th October 2012, 04:22 PM
Glad it all worked out, I was at a friends last night and I’m not kidding back and forth at the window he cant wait for Snow. Me and his wife know the score he’s wanting out in his A8 with his Quattro drive to prove a point. He was so disappointed last winter when we got an hour of snow.

If I had a Garage to store the good set I’d be like Craig and put 15” steelies in part to be safe but also to save the good Alloys. After five years minimal mileage in winter my good Alloys are showing a few corrosive bubbles :sad:that I just feel would never have been the case if swapped for a sacrificial set.

They says its to be a hard winter, we will see.

weefossy
29th October 2012, 08:27 PM
Paul we arrived back to Newcastle airport on Friday night and there was 2 to 3 inches of snow on the car. Grandkids were frozen as when we left Tenerife it was 28c. We did have coats for them, but it was a real blizzard. Luckily it was pretty localised and roads were clear after Morpeth. Shows how you can get caught out.