PDA

View Full Version : Turbos !!!!!!!

peg1984
12th August 2004, 03:10 AM
hey! recently bout a 52 plate mini one and want some extra power from it. read the go mini magazine from last month and there is a mini in it which has a turbo fitted producing aroung 200+ bhp. does anyone know of any companies in Scotland who would do this for me?:evil:

duncan
12th August 2004, 04:19 AM
Its unlikely the One gearbox would handle 200bhp very well.
Certainly chipping, Exhaust and induction kit would take it to 130ish, but nowhere near 200.

Good luck whatever route you take

minidriver#1
12th August 2004, 04:35 AM
i'm waitin for AMD to finish their 230bhp cooper conversion, slap that in along with a strut and S gear box and you'll be fine, prolly cost around £5000 for the lot tho so you need to ask yourself if its worth it or not. My insurance company wont insure me on an S so this is the route i'm taking.

peg1984
12th August 2004, 06:13 AM
the company i read about did the whole lot from brakes , to exhaust and were only charging around £3500 for it. i will see if i can find the magazine and give you the companys address as it will save you some dough.

sleepyrascal
12th August 2004, 08:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

i'm waitin for AMD to finish their 230bhp cooper conversion, slap that in along with a strut and S gear box and you'll be fine, prolly cost around £5000 for the lot tho so you need to ask yourself if its worth it or not. My insurance company wont insure me on an S so this is the route i'm taking.

KJ, How come you cant get insured on an S?? have you got points or something. I was quoted £950 on an s works through tesco. No NCD, age 22 and 3 points on licence!! £950 aint cheap i suppose, but its cheaper than sh*t loads of mods is'nt it?

sleepyrascal
12th August 2004, 08:06 AM
I'm trying to decide what to do with my cooper. Want a few more horses, but don't want to upset the insurance boffs. Any tips?

Gismo
12th August 2004, 05:16 PM
Sadly the cooper isn't very tuneable, you can get a chip etc but your only looking at around 7 - 8 BHP, unless you go the turbo route :p
Add into that the fact the drivetrain and engine in the cooper cannot handle the extra BHP either :(

peg1984
21st August 2004, 12:34 AM
does anyone know how much work is involved in changing engines from a one to an S???? dying for more power but have been priced out of the turbo route!!!!!

Duncan Stewart
21st August 2004, 04:35 AM
Probably cheaper trading in the One for an S :eek:

KenL
21st August 2004, 05:02 AM

Are you not much less likely to be accepted on a standard S than a 230bhp monster conversion?

Fontal
21st August 2004, 04:53 PM
I'm looking at a turbo conversion as I want to have a completly one off One :D
You can pick up an 's' gearbox for £200 from a breaker and fit it your self.
Does anybody know when the AMD conversion will be ready?

minidriver#1
21st August 2004, 06:02 PM
my insurance company are really good with mods. it cost me just £14 for my kit, wheels, spot lights and stereo. It'll cost me another £34 to upgrade the engine from 115bhp to 230 bhp with this turbo conversion. They wont insure me on the S maybe cos i have points or something, i really dont know, and they dont either. lol. iasked em on the phone and they said its just policy.

They said i could upgrade the engine as much as i wanted and it wouldnt cost much at all as long as it was still the same engine thats being moddified. They wouldnt insure me if i had an s engine in the car. its wierd but i've got no real complaints with em other than they wont insure me on an S.

Sheilz
21st August 2004, 06:33 PM

my insurance company are really good with mods. it cost me just £14 for my kit, wheels, spot lights and stereo. It'll cost me another £34 to upgrade the engine from 115bhp to 230 bhp with this turbo conversion. They wont insure me on the S maybe cos i have points or something, i really dont know, and they dont either. lol. iasked em on the phone and they said its just policy.

They said i could upgrade the engine as much as i wanted and it wouldnt cost much at all as long as it was still the same engine thats being moddified. They wouldnt insure me if i had an s engine in the car. its wierd but i've got no real complaints with em other than they wont insure me on an S.

Would you be ok about telling us who you are with? My son is desperate to go on my insurance but the cost puts me off. His last car which was put in my name and insured through me cost an extra £500 insurance because he was just 21 at the time.:question:

weefozzy Jr
25th September 2004, 06:30 AM
Here is an answer to all your questions. The first is call maxi-tuner(maxi-tuner.com) and the answer to the other is norwich union direct. some good deals there, for me anyway........ he he he

minidriver#1
25th September 2004, 07:43 AM
Sheilz, i'm with Liverpool Victoria. Definately look into it and find out from them ways to reduce your premium, as they have a few sneaky hints and tips.

redpoint rallying
27th September 2004, 05:24 AM
On the tuning a Cooper front.......you CAN tune it very well.Give Daniel a phone at Mini Sport and/or see the website. You can do all the 'usual modifications' such as big valve cylinder head, camshafts, re-mapping, lightened flywheel etc. All much easier than turbo charging and pretty much the same result depending on the level of tuning....and no turbo lag.

Cheers!