PDA

View Full Version : Everything comes in threes..

Colin
22nd October 2012, 12:45 PM
...I hope, because I dont want anymore problems with my MINI this month!

Cars been in the garage for three weeks in a row?

1. Faulty bypass valve, jammed shut and blew off the lower plastic pipe assembly. New bypass valve and pipes fitted (a lot of the car was taken apart to get at these items).

2. A week later.. faulty MAP sensor... probably a left over from the first issue.

3. Another week later.... my alternator desides it's had enough and packs in.

(Interesting side effect of no alternator is that the car shuts off your power steering pump when the voltage gets too low, that's nice of it :unsure: Now I know what it's like to drive when your PAS goes, man you have to hang off the steering wheel to do a three point turn!)

So will hopefully get it back tonight? Ah the joys of owning a MINI :Whistle:

rpn
22nd October 2012, 01:21 PM
What a bummer! Three's enough, nae mare. :hand:

Mon the fish
22nd October 2012, 01:35 PM
Bypass valves are a fairly easy fix, shouldn't have taken that long, just some of the intake tubing to take off. Might be worth getting the Minicraft modified bypass valve, helps stop leaking boost.

MAP sensors are continual weak points, thankfully not too dear. Sometimes a quick clean can sort them out. Never heard of an alternator going on an R53 though

Craig
22nd October 2012, 03:53 PM
Unlucky Colin - fingers crossed for you ;)

ELFMAN
22nd October 2012, 05:03 PM
Well Colin, hopefully that's your three 'Bad Things' out of the way - if you'd had two, you'd be waiting for the third one to dump itself on you!

Colin
23rd October 2012, 12:15 AM
Bypass valves are a fairly easy fix, shouldn't have taken that long, just some of the intake tubing to take off. Might be worth getting the Minicraft modified bypass valve, helps stop leaking boost.

MAP sensors are continual weak points, thankfully not too dear. Sometimes a quick clean can sort them out. Never heard of an alternator going on an R53 though

Unfortunately it wasn't just the bypass valve, the plastic supercharger inlet duct that it joins onto was cracked, and it's a bugger to get out.

- - - Updated - - -

Unlucky Colin - fingers crossed for you ;)

Cheers Craig, will have to drop by and see your new motor.

- - - Updated - - -

Well Colin, hopefully that's your three 'Bad Things' out of the way - if you'd had two, you'd be waiting for the third one to dump itself on you!

Too true Mr ELF! What else can go wrong? (Lots of things it's a MINI) :rolleyes:

Craig
23rd October 2012, 08:21 AM
Anytime Colin - you have my number ;)