PDA

View Full Version : How many MINI's can 2 police cars stop?????

bigcoyote
16th October 2012, 12:55 AM
Howdy all,

It's been a while since I've been on here, but I thought you might get a kick out of this. On our club run to Jerome last weekend we had a little "incident" with Johnny Law on one of our favorite hills.....

F7Xj6bs3x3k

Needless to say he may have won the battle - but we all had a good time after that!!!

-uTLS0TY0Ac

We will be talking about this run for a while... Hope everyone over there is ok

Keep on Motoring :smilewinkgrin:

stoney
16th October 2012, 07:57 AM
thats fantastic i have never been stooped on a run (yet) :lol:

zimbo
16th October 2012, 08:54 AM
Great video :thumbs up: I am so jealous that you guys are able to have no front license/reg plates on your minis, keeping the clean looking front :yes nod:

rpn
16th October 2012, 12:43 PM
13, :smilewinkgrin:

What's the prize? :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin:

Craig
16th October 2012, 02:16 PM
:thumbs up:

bigcoyote
16th October 2012, 02:21 PM
Our prize that day -- The State Troopers handed out 3 "Motoring Awards" as we call them and turned the rest of our members loose... with a warning that they had radioed ahead of us and warned the other troopers to be on the lookout for a bunch of MINI's driving like maniacs..... Needless to say we didn't see another Trooper for the rest of the day.....

And yes, here in Arizona we don't have to put on the front plate - but they do give you one, just in case you want to put it on....

stoney
16th October 2012, 02:29 PM
That is funny I take it you where on a spirited drive then :lol: nothing elce for it

What's the penalty over there ? Ie points or fines ??

bigcoyote
16th October 2012, 08:25 PM
That is funny I take it you where on a spirited drive then :lol: nothing elce for it

What's the penalty over there ? Ie points or fines ??

Over here the penalty is both since we were caught by a live Trooper - if was just a speed camera then it would just be a fine with no points.

And yes, that hill is very fun to drive - our MINI's rip it up when ever we get a chance - so we were driving very "spirited" to say the least..... I know one of the cars that was NOT caught was doing about 110 mph when he heard the radio calls for "RADAR" and used all of his JCW brakes to get down to the 35mph speed limit before he rounded the curve and saw the Troopers pulling the lead pack over....

Normally we send a scout car ahead of the main pack, but this time a lot of folks wanted to run with the scout car.... and this is what happened...

And to top it off, I ran this route with some other MINI's the weekend before looking for traps.....

This run just might make club history - the most MINI's pulled over in a single run - EVER!!! :argh:

AndyP & Lenore
16th October 2012, 11:54 PM
Holy SH!T 110 in a 35mph limit! Now, that sounds like FUN.:yes nod:

But, erm, cough, of course, incredibly irresponsible:blush:. I'd never drive at such a dangerous speed. Cough.:blush: :lol:

A.:D

MiniSnaps
17th October 2012, 02:18 AM
Over here the penalty is both since we were caught by a live Trooper - if was just a speed camera then it would just be a fine with no points.

And yes, that hill is very fun to drive - our MINI's rip it up when ever we get a chance - so we were driving very "spirited" to say the least..... I know one of the cars that was NOT caught was doing about 110 mph when he heard the radio calls for "RADAR" and used all of his JCW brakes to get down to the 35mph speed limit before he rounded the curve and saw the Troopers pulling the lead pack over....

Normally we send a scout car ahead of the main pack, but this time a lot of folks wanted to run with the scout car.... and this is what happened...

And to top it off, I ran this route with some other MINI's the weekend before looking for traps.....

This run just might make club history - the most MINI's pulled over in a single run - EVER!!! :argh:

You're boasting about driving at more than three times the speed limit? How old are you, 17?

http://m.scotsman.com/news/international/hip-hop-star-guilty-of-street-race-killings-1-2582563

stoney
17th October 2012, 07:38 AM
You're boasting about driving at more than three times the speed limit? How old are you, 17?

http://m.scotsman.com/news/international/hip-hop-star-guilty-of-street-race-killings-1-2582563

i think this is a bit different he was drunk and on drugs :frown:

and also if you look at the you tube video you can see the size of the road you trying to tell me you have never driven way to fast ??

MiniSnaps
17th October 2012, 09:14 AM
i think this is a bit different he was drunk and on drugs :frown:

and also if you look at the you tube video you can see the size of the road you trying to tell me you have never driven way to fast ??

I can honestly say that no, I've never driven at 75mph over the speed limit, and doing so in convoy like that beggars belief. The width of the road is immaterial, there's obviously a reason that the limit is in place.

Tbh I'm amazed that you're condoning this.

stoney
17th October 2012, 09:19 AM
Not condoling it at all it is there choice to drive how they wish to drive we all do daft things from time to time and all like to have some fun in are cars

And I never said have you driven 75moh over the limit all I said is have you never done any thing stupid in your time and the ans will be yes as we all take risks now and then

MiniSnaps
17th October 2012, 09:29 AM
Not condoling it at all it is there choice to drive how they wish to drive we all do daft things from time to time and all like to have some fun in are cars

And I never said have you driven 75moh over the limit all I said is have you never done any thing stupid in your time and the ans will be yes as we all take risks now and then

But that's what they're doing in the video, a convoy of cars doing 70+ mph over a 35mph speed limit. Taking risks is fine, if that's how you get your kicks, but it's not fine if you kill another motorist because they're expecting you to be travelling at 35 and you're doing three times that?

Have you ever seen the result of of an impact between a car doing that sort of speed and another motorist who expected them to be driving at 30? I have, and it was absolute carnage.

That was one car hitting another, I shudder to think what the outcome would be if the lead car in that convoy was involved in an incident, highly unlikely that the rest would be able to avoid it.

ELFMAN
17th October 2012, 10:50 AM
Is there a reason why there's a 35mph limit on this particular road? There are certainly parts which look capable of taking much higher speeds, but also some bendy bits which might not. So it's maybe a case that the powers that be have slapped a blanket limit on the whole road to avoid confusion. This can either be seen as an money-making authoritarian over-reaction, or that they're fed up scraping bits of people off the tarmac...

I think very few of us can truthfully say we've never 'pushed it' on the road. I know I've done some daft things in my time and certainly exceeded the speed limit on 'a few' occasions - but hopefully most of my 'incidents' have occurred where it has been comparatively safe to do so (well-sighted roads, very low volume of traffic, good weather conditions etc), where the only person I'm liable to wipe out is myself. I must admit though, the older I get, the more I try to choose where and when to 'open the taps'. I know from experience the more you do it, the greater the chance that you're going to run out of luck or have a major 'Talent Failure' half way round a tightening bend. I also know that when you're with a group of like-minded enthusiasts, it's incredibly easy to get 'caught up in the moment' and things can get very silly very quickly. I'd like to say that NMS runs are pretty well-behaved, with just the right balance between fun and safety... and Fish & Chips!

I can't condone thoughtless stupidity or careless driving, but I also recognise (in myself) that it's quite difficult to be 'good' all the time when you have a car which is set up to go (and stop) quickly, and feels damn good while it's doing its thing. It really comes down to a judgement call by the individual and a bit of a 'what if' thinking before you push the throttle that last couple of inches.

stoney
17th October 2012, 02:25 PM
Is there a reason why there's a 35mph limit on this particular road? There are certainly parts which look capable of taking much higher speeds, but also some bendy bits which might not. So it's maybe a case that the powers that be have slapped a blanket limit on the whole road to avoid confusion. This can either be seen as an money-making authoritarian over-reaction, or that they're fed up scraping bits of people off the tarmac...

I think very few of us can truthfully say we've never 'pushed it' on the road. I know I've done some daft things in my time and certainly exceeded the speed limit on 'a few' occasions - but hopefully most of my 'incidents' have occurred where it has been comparatively safe to do so (well-sighted roads, very low volume of traffic, good weather conditions etc), where the only person I'm liable to wipe out is myself. I must admit though, the older I get, the more I try to choose where and when to 'open the taps'. I know from experience the more you do it, the greater the chance that you're going to run out of luck or have a major 'Talent Failure' half way round a tightening bend. I also know that when you're with a group of like-minded enthusiasts, it's incredibly easy to get 'caught up in the moment' and things can get very silly very quickly. I'd like to say that NMS runs are pretty well-behaved, with just the right balance between fun and safety... and Fish & Chips!

I can't condone thoughtless stupidity or careless driving, but I also recognise (in myself) that it's quite difficult to be 'good' all the time when you have a car which is set up to go (and stop) quickly, and feels damn good while it's doing its thing. It really comes down to a judgement call by the individual and a bit of a 'what if' thinking before you push the throttle that last couple of inches.

:clap: :clap: what I was trying to say but much better put :clap: :D

ELFMAN
17th October 2012, 02:37 PM
:clap: :clap: what I was trying to say but much better put :clap: :D

Rob, you're the MP3 and I'm the vinyl! :smilewinkgrin: But we're playing the same tune...:thumbs up:

Stewart
17th October 2012, 10:51 PM
I don’t condone silly speeds, hay I’m Capt slow after all but I understand part of the problem there in the states. I still fancy doing route 1 down the east coast of the states and its upper limit is 55MPH on the highway, however for long stretches its upper limit is no more than 25MPH and when you take a look yes it’s a road between towns but its like one of our 60MPH roads up in the highlands. Motorway/Interstates are a bit different going by what state but climbs to 70MPH but the Highways can come under some really low speeds.

Although going at 110MPH is a bit aggressive but I’m sure it was in short duration. But when I read the speed limit of 35MPH I had an idea it would be just like the coast road that's tens of miles of empty open road falling under under an unusual low speed limit.

http://d19h65o0jbjm7h.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/route-1-california-usa-five-epic-road-trip-routes-for-adventurous-travelers.jpg?25a3a7
http://blog.zleepinghotels.com/wp-content/uploads/highwayone-hotel.jpg

bigcoyote
17th October 2012, 11:38 PM
If I can add - "most" of our members are law abiding citizens and stay fairly close to the speed limit at "most" times. Even the 3 MINI's that got "Motoring Awards" from the State Troopers were doing less then 20MPH over the speed limit. The one that was going over 100 was in between the two packs and running alone - we didn't have 30 MINI's running 100+ MPH up a very twisty mountain road..... ( I just mentioned it for the sake of the story - not trying to brag ) . We are not all maniacs , but we do like to "push it" a little when we can.

ELFMAN
18th October 2012, 10:04 AM
If I can add - "most" of our members are law abiding citizens and stay fairly close to the speed limit at "most" times. Even the 3 MINI's that got "Motoring Awards" from the State Troopers were doing less then 20MPH over the speed limit. The one that was going over 100 was in between the two packs and running alone - we didn't have 30 MINI's running 100+ MPH up a very twisty mountain road..... ( I just mentioned it for the sake of the story - not trying to brag ) . We are not all maniacs , but we do like to "push it" a little when we can.

I totally understand where you're coming from.
As I said, most of us do 'give it some beans' from time to time. There's very little point having one of the best cars on the planet if you never actually tap into what they have to offer, but it's up to us and our common sense to weigh up the 'pros and cons' as to where and when we do it.

AndyP & Lenore
18th October 2012, 12:04 PM
Rob, you're the MP3 and I'm the vinyl! :smilewinkgrin: But we're playing the same tune...:thumbs up:

Cheers Euan, now I have an image of you in vinyl in my head. Not nice. :lol:

A.

ELFMAN
18th October 2012, 12:31 PM
Cheers Euan, now I have an image of you in vinyl in my head. Not nice.:lol:A.

:off topic: Just wait till my "Winter Leatherwear Collection" photoshoot's finished... :camflash: :thumbs up:
I reckon the 'Santa Gimp Mask' (with beard) is a sure-fire Winter Winner!

ps Will I send the photos to the usual address? :smilewinkgrin: