PDA

View Full Version : Tracker systems

norbu
7th October 2012, 01:10 PM
SWMBO is thinking of a Cooper S. For various reasons it might be left in remote areas. So thinking that a Tracking system might be a worthwhile investment.

Anyone fitted such a device? any thoughts or pitfalls?

Ta much

Gismo
7th October 2012, 01:55 PM
I had a tracker system fitted to my first S.
I didn't really need it, however, i was getting some work done to it and the battery was disconnected and Tracker called me right away to confirm it was ok.

Bad point and not sure it's changed, but, if you want to test the system you have to pay Tracker.

I think there would be better alarm systems for the same price available now, worth checking with mikeythemini

norbu
7th October 2012, 03:55 PM
Ta:D

Big Gordy
8th October 2012, 07:32 AM
Ross has some kind of tracker fitted to his scooby and he has an annual fee to pay for it. On the few times he's managed to set it off it texts you twice, once to say its been set off and the second to give you its position via longitude and latitude.....quite cool.

EcosseGP
8th October 2012, 10:34 PM
Personally it depends on what system you buy. Rather than Tracker it might be worth considering Trackstar or other similar systems as you can take them with you if you change cars. I'd say that Tracker is being used less and less although insurance companies still ask certain models to be fitted with it ..

Tracker isn't all is cracked up to be and depending on where you live etc can also be a problem ..

norbu
9th October 2012, 08:42 AM
Personally it depends on what system you buy. Rather than Tracker it might be worth considering Trackstar or other similar systems as you can take them with you if you change cars. I'd say that Tracker is being used less and less although insurance companies still ask certain models to be fitted with it ..

Tracker isn't all is cracked up to be and depending on where you live etc can also be a problem ..

Interesting. I'd be interested really in asking why. That's to Trackstar & why it can be a bother in some areas. Not really bothered about the car changing aspect as it's likely to be a long term ownership.

Craig
9th October 2012, 09:31 AM
It will be a bother in some areas due to coverage. Depending on whether they use mobile phone tech or radio signals will depend if there are "black spots" ;)

EcosseGP
10th October 2012, 08:13 AM
Tracker no use around the Central Scotland area at the mo .. The police have no facility to monitor it !!

norbu
11th October 2012, 09:17 PM
Tracker no use around the Central Scotland area at the mo .. The police have no facility to monitor it !!...........That's a real bummer. Is that guaranteed do you know or just a nasty rumour? Presumably les flics have overspent on speed guns.:camera:

Craig
11th October 2012, 09:19 PM
...........That's a real bummer. Is that guaranteed do you know or just a nasty rumour? Presumably les flics have overspent on speed guns.:camera:

That's not a rumour ;)

norbu
12th October 2012, 11:32 AM
That's not a rumour ;)...........After further checking & just a little thought:blush:..........Central Scotland isn't my area. Tayside is. It all goes pear shaped however next year when we will have one big plod for the whole of Scotland...........So Tracker still might be a good idea.:D

Gismo
12th October 2012, 08:45 PM
I'd still opt for a better alarm offering instant text message if stolen, GPS type signal emitter (spelling) etc

norbu
12th October 2012, 09:06 PM
I'd still opt for a better alarm offering instant text message if stolen, GPS type signal emitter (spelling) etc.......Unfortunately some of the places SWMBO & I frequent a GPS signal is somewhat of a novelty. From the top of a hill we don't usually have much problem. Any car however is unlikely to be on top of the hill with us. Mobile signals are usually worse. Text is sometimes OK. While a Tracker might not prevent any car getting nicked the hope is that it will (eventually:rolleyes:) be tracked........say on A9.:yes:

Thanks for all the thoughts though.