PDA

View Full Version : Advice please on selling/trading in

LadyR
28th September 2012, 01:02 PM
Been in to Calterdon to see about an S (conveniently almost exactly what I want) and been offered an ok price to trade in my coop. It's 07 plate, just shy of 52k bodywork's in good condition and is actually way better than the car i'm looking to buy... Wheels powder coated, good tread on tyres, immaculate inside and half leather, chilli pack. 12months mot and 10 months tax.
Has anyone sold their car privately lately and if so, for the hassle involved is it worth trying to sell privately?? And at what price?3801

And on that note would anybody like to buy it?!?!

It's pretty cute.

MINIme:)
28th September 2012, 02:00 PM
Sorry can't offer any clever insights but just wanted to say good luck :thumbs up: I'd love an S but am skint for at least the next 2 or 3 years so I must be patient for quite some time yet...

Gismo
28th September 2012, 04:08 PM
Cant help with the price etc, but, from experience and for less hassle i mostly use a dealer.
When you sell a car privately and for some reason the buyer isn't happy they will cause you hassle, with a dealer it's a straight swap and no nasty surprises after.

Way i look at it, if it's in your range and the hassle is nil i'd go for it every time.

LadyR
28th September 2012, 04:57 PM
Well Joanna, let's put it this way, I'll have a black grille too next week.....

KenL
28th September 2012, 05:22 PM
Having gone from a Cooper to an S and back to a Cooper I would say don't rush into an S if it is not a newer, better car than the one you have. Yes, an S is great, but if it is older and out of warranty you might be better waiting for the right car to come up. An older S, out of warranty would probably be more likely to suffer from expensive problems to fix.

Although, having re-read your post if you are buying from a dealer you should have a year "cherished" warranty. Unless you think you can get significantly more privately I would stick with trading it in. Have you tried to push the dealer for a bit more and are you getting what your car is worth (or more) as a trade in?

Good luck.

28th September 2012, 06:15 PM
yeah I always trade in too, same as Alan - can't be bothered with the hassle even if I could get a bit more. Can you go to more than one place to get a few trade in valuations, quickly gives you an idea. In general though you get trade in value for the car and the major packs but not for other options really. Damn them. Sounds like the deal is done though! Very exciting! and no I'm not at all jealous... Ok, yes I am :angel: (But I will have to accept my own self inflicted financial hardship and enjoy other people's new cars instead of getting my own upgrade!) :smilewinkgrin: Part of me wants to ask for details but a much bigger part of me loves a reveal so I'll wait. ;)

RobSco
28th September 2012, 07:44 PM
Cant help with the price etc, but, from experience and for less hassle i mostly use a dealer.
When you sell a car privately and for some reason the buyer isn't happy they will cause you hassle, with a dealer it's a straight swap and no nasty surprises after.

Way i look at it, if it's in your range and the hassle is nil i'd go for it every time.

I'd agree with what Alan has stated, trading it in does give you less hassle in the long run, you might get a little bit more by selling it private but think of the inconvenience waiting on people to view it and they don't show, Why not have a run down to Peter Vardy in Edinburgh to see what they have on offer, and as they are one of the site sponsors, they would be more than happy to help you get what your looking for and by even trying another dealer you might be surprised at what they might offer you... :thumbs up:

If you do go ask for John Grey or John McKinstry and tell them I sent you, I've never been disappointed with my last two Mini's I bought from them or the service received, Worth a look to see what they have... :yes nod:

www.petervardymini.co.uk

LadyR
28th September 2012, 07:44 PM
Well, after a bit of cat and mouse think its safe if I show you the grille at least ;)
photoshopped so it's not a 100% reveal just yet...

LadyR
28th September 2012, 07:47 PM
Oh Rob, thanks for your advice, I had a ball today with Mark and George in Calterdon, and that's part of the deal for me, you may not pay the absolute cheapest price, but if it means staying win a dealer you trust to look after you, then that's the price you pay I think. I'm fairly happy anyway. Ran a cherished check nationwide and didn't find what I was looking for, and did a bit of auto-trader research to gauge prices for my car so ended up going for this one

RobSco
28th September 2012, 07:59 PM
Oh Rob, thanks for your advice, I had a ball today with Mark and George in Calterdon, and that's part of the deal for me, you may not pay the absolute cheapest price, but if it means staying win a dealer you trust to look after you, then that's the price you pay I think. I'm fairly happy anyway. Ran a cherished check nationwide and didn't find what I was looking for, and did a bit of auto-trader research to gauge prices for my car so ended up going for this one

You will know what is best for yourself and if your getting a great deal on the new car and are getting well looked after, you better not waste any time and GO for it... :thumbs up: Looking forward to seeing the new one... :smilewinkgrin:

28th September 2012, 08:44 PM
:clap: