PDA

View Full Version : Tech Geeks advice needed

Sheilz
24th September 2012, 05:01 PM
It's time for me to upgrade my phone contract and no sure what to go for. Currently have an Experia which has been a good phone. Has anyone any experience of the Experia P or the U? Also have not been able to suss what the difference is between the two models. Would I be better going for an iPhone which would be compatible with my iPad? Any thoughts appreciated. Am a bit clueless about these things. Cheers

Tam1314
24th September 2012, 07:24 PM
I recently got an iPhone 4S for £36 a month.
Unlimited minutes
Unlimited texts
1gb Internet
Twenty three months contract.
From tesco but its O2

Voodoo
25th September 2012, 09:10 AM
Never used the Xperia phones but they do get good write ups.

I've got the Samsung Galaxy S3 and it is simply amazing. Head and shoulders above anything Apple can offer, as long as you can live with the 4.8" screen!

As for contracts, I'm on T-Mobiles full money, £36 a month for Unlimited Texts, Calls and Internet. Can't argue with it.

Gismo
25th September 2012, 09:40 AM
What do you use the a phone for?
Makes a huge difference to what i would be looking at.

My daughter got a new Samsung, broke down after 1 month, currently it's away to be fixed, no replacement, no handset to cover while it's away, luckily she had her previous phone.

For me, the iPhone does everything i need well, but then i dont use it as a camera, GPS or anything else it can do.
I only use it for phone, text, Tapatalk and e-mails, very rarely used for surfing the net, but more than adequate when i do for my needs

Stewart
25th September 2012, 04:22 PM
Yeah comes down to personal choice, I can upgrade next month but just thinking of keeping my currant IPhone 3Gs and Knocking my contract down to £6.90 a Month for 500MB Data, 200 Minutes and a zillion texts. I’m on more or less the same just now when I got my phone all be it unlimited data for £26.

If it’s a personal phone I’d take the Iphone in a shot as it’s just what I know and it does everything I need well. But I’d hate one for work if used all the time as the battery time is a joke, although it’s improved over the series.

Must say I loved my old bullet proof Nokia that needed charged once a week if that, but then it did not do anything like can be done with the I-phone.

It’s easy to get caught up on the entire upgrade thing when it comes to Iphones, they change and add so little although the 5 would be a leap from my 3Gs I’m happy to catch when they are giving the 5 away in a few years when we are on IP5’s or 6 or 6s4G
;)

T5LLC
25th September 2012, 07:34 PM
Another good thing about the iPhone is that if it breaks(they come with 12 months warranty) you go to your local Apple store and they replace it then and there.. No problems at all about that. Don't think any other manufacturer does that.

I have iPhone 4, the new iPad and a mac. I love apple. Love having everything being the same I guess. The iPhone is the only phone I've kept 2 years and not got bored.. Only thing stopping me getting iPhone 5 is the fact it won't plug into my media pack in the Mini :(

But guess it comes down to what you use the phone for...

KenL
25th September 2012, 08:13 PM
Leanne - is that true if you get it from any provider direct? (Orange, Carphone Warehouse etc.) Fantastic service if it is.

I have an HTC Desire. To me it is a great phone. Perfect for internet, email etc. Loads of Android applications available for it. It even uses Google Maps which work!

T5LLC
25th September 2012, 08:15 PM
I got my iPhone from Vodafone and when it broke they said any issues you go direct to apple and well they replace it. Amazing service if you ask me :)

KenL
25th September 2012, 08:27 PM
That is Leanne, something they should publicise as normally you get the runaround if something goes wrong!

Craig
25th September 2012, 08:49 PM
Same for me Leanne. My phone had an issue with reception after 2 months of ownership and I went into the apple store and they replaced it straight away - also got a new sim from O2.and it fixed the issue ;)

Sheilz
25th September 2012, 09:37 PM
Thanks everyone. Opted for an iPhone 4S. No point in getting a 5 since no 4G here until about 2014 and can use my iPad connectors too. Siri will definitely be a challenge but can't see it being important enough to make m rush out for elocution lessons. I do like my current phone but have been reassured by3/3 sons that I won't regret the experiment. New toy for me tomorrow :yes nod:

Tam1314
25th September 2012, 11:16 PM
You will love it, mine is hardly away from my side.

The new panoramic photos are great as well

Gismo
26th September 2012, 05:33 AM
A good choice in my humble opinion :thumbs up:

Stewart
26th September 2012, 06:28 PM
Poor Siri she has met her match!:smilewinkgrin:

The Dogfather
26th September 2012, 07:32 PM
I got my iPhone from Vodafone and when it broke they said any issues you go direct to apple and well they replace it. Amazing service if you ask me :)

Yes, same with every network. Apple insist that they do all the replacements, most problems can be fixed with a full restore.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone. Opted for an iPhone 4S. No point in getting a 5 since no 4G here until about 2014 and can use my iPad connectors too. Siri will definitely be a challenge but can't see it being important enough to make m rush out for elocution lessons. I do like my current phone but have been reassured by3/3 sons that I won't regret the experiment. New toy for me tomorrow :yes nod:

What network are you on?