PDA

View Full Version : Wipers....?

Julz
11th August 2004, 04:17 PM
Anyone else find that their wipers just don't go fast enough this morning?

john
11th August 2004, 04:22 PM
NO the sun is shinning here

Julz
11th August 2004, 04:29 PM
Says he who promised us a heat wave for Cullen!:mad: Ah the memories of that wonderful tractor ride to see a pond full of poo!!:dead:

Wul
11th August 2004, 08:18 PM
Julz - come on now surely by now you've converted to Rain-X - never had my wipers on any more than intermittent even in the torrential downpours - watching the beads zoom off the windscreen is quite mesmorising actually! :I

Julz
11th August 2004, 08:29 PM
Of course I'm a rain-x convert, but that made sod all difference this morning!! When the water is coming back out of gully pots like fountains, I don't think anything but a giant brolly would help!!:evil:

Wul
11th August 2004, 08:33 PM
Or the awning Alan used to have on Millie! :D;)

Fontal
11th August 2004, 08:37 PM
Rain, whats that ;)
it has been blistering sunshine up here for about a week now :D:D

zimbo
12th August 2004, 01:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

Anyone else find that their wipers just don't go fast enough this morning?

YES!!! :D sounds like its just Dundee thats getting p****d on big style then... :evil:

Steve74
12th August 2004, 01:21 AM
Wul - dont you get so bored reapplying Rain-X all the time. You'd think all windows would have it in by now!

Wul
12th August 2004, 04:44 AM
Know what you mean steve but got it sussed out to take most of the hassle out of applying it!

3GGG
12th August 2004, 05:37 AM
I do apply Rain-X every time I clean the car but I seem to have got some sort of grease/wax on my screen and wipers this week. It is invisible until the wipers wipe the screen and then it stays there for a few seconds before fading. I have tried cleaning the wiper blades, cleaning the screen, put stuff in the schooshers, but still the same, actually worse as the wiper blades have started chattering across the screen now as well.

Any ideas short of buying new blades (again) ?

Sheilz
12th August 2004, 07:34 AM
Hi, could someone tell me what and where I can get this stuff and is vinegar still the best thing to get grease & dirt off windows. Even Eck has got smears on his windows. Its one of those things that dirves me nuts especially since my specs are usually as bad doubling the impact!:D

3GGG
12th August 2004, 04:13 PM
Sheilz, Halfords has Rain-X - look for it in by the other stuff for windscreens, it is in a yellow plastic bottle.

You apply it to the windscreen and it makes the rain drops just roll off the screen. Once you are driving at a reasonable speed you don't need to use the wipers at all.

MartinSullivan
12th August 2004, 04:19 PM
Sheilz, you can usually get it in Costco for cheaper than Halfords - if you dont have a card let me know and I'll pick a bottle up for you. They normally do a twin pack - big bottle of the rain-x and a bottle of the special cleaner for the same price as a normal sized bottle of the rain-x in halfords

Julz
12th August 2004, 05:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by Sheilz

Hi, could someone tell me what and where I can get this stuff and is vinegar still the best thing to get grease & dirt off windows. Even Eck has got smears on his windows. Its one of those things that dirves me nuts especially since my specs are usually as bad doubling the impact!:D

I've also discovered that since using Megs NXT shampoo, I don't get smeary windows anymore when the time comes for the rain or that first skoosh!!;):D

Sheilz
12th August 2004, 06:28 PM
Thanks, I do have a costco card so will have a look there.. Am looking forward to stopping my car stinking of vinegar!
:D

3GGG
13th August 2004, 03:21 AM
Well, I bought some glass cleaning stuff from Halfords today, it is a slightly abrasive white cream that is similar to car polish. This seemed to get the worst of the grease off my windscreen, but the wiper blades still screeched badly, so I eventually bought a new pair. Got Bosch ones this time (both are 19", one with a spoiler) Last time I replaced the wiper blades I bought Halford's ones and the driver's side was 18" as per the OEM blades, but I had spoilers on both sides.
I then reapplied Rain-X and the wipers no longer screech, however I still get this grease affect for a second after the wipers finish their stroke, guess that is the downside of Rain-X.

Sheilz
13th August 2004, 06:05 PM
Honestly if you can ignore the stink, especially inside, there's not much better than vinegar for getting rid of smears and greasy bits!
Got the rain x stuff but think I'll have to wait till my windscreen washer needs filling before I get the best benefit from it. I tried the cream cleaner on Hamish. Got a great finish till it rained! Cant use that stuff on the inside of tinted windows. Also you'fe more likely to have swirly marks that are only visible when light hits your windscreen. But, if you do use a cream cleaner its best to stick with it rather than chopping and changing between that and a water based solution.
(agh! cant believe I'm giving advice on cleaning windaes - street creed at risk here!:D:D:D

Gismo
13th August 2004, 06:10 PM
Methylated spirits or any alcohol based solution will do the trick, you also gotta be very careful of what's in your washer bottle as that is the likely culprit of re applying the greasy substance

3GGG
13th August 2004, 06:21 PM
Good point BS - I wondered if perhaps I had got it contaminated with something during the winter de-icer season. I do have some IPA (not Indian Pale Ale, IsoProp Alcohol) that I may try on the screen. I did try vinegar but that didn't cure it. Will have another go today with stripping off the Rain-X with the cream and then some IPA. Not sure what to do with the water bottle though.

Gismo
13th August 2004, 07:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by 3GGG
Not sure what to do with the water bottle though.
A trick i used to use in the winter was to put the meths in the water bottle, usually kills off any greasy stuff and does not freeze, one thing though, it does destroy the wiper blades after a while.

To empty your washer bottle, get a garden hose and insert it into the bottle as far as it can go, secure the hose somehow at the bottle, turn on the hose as much as you dare and all the contents will gush out, prepare to get a wee bit wet :evil:

3GGG
13th August 2004, 07:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland
A trick i used to use in the winter was to put the meths in the water bottle, usually kills off any greasy stuff and does not freeze, one thing though, it does destroy the wiper blades after a while.

Yes, a friend I know used IPA which was available free from his work by the litre, it didn't freeze but as you say it goes for the wiper blade rubber.

I'll get the hose out and give the water bottle some colonic irrigation:evil: