PDA

View Full Version : Radiator & heater matrix.

indigomatt
15th September 2012, 07:26 PM
Evening.

Having a bad time with my naughty mini, he’s feeling old and playing up somewhat, before I take him to the scrappy and be happy, can someone explain a few things to me?

The radiator was leaking a few weeks ago and as a result engine temperatures went sky high, he was towed to a garage recommended by the AA and radiator was replaced.

Soon afterwards the front windows started fogging up and then last week there was white smoke from the vents and now the passenger foot-well seems to be rather wet too. Looking on forums these things seem to indicate that the heater matrix as the culprit.

Are theses two faults related, could the replacement radiator be causing this fault or is it just coincidental.

Also anyone know how much it’s likely to cost and what needs to be done; drying of carpets etc?

Ta, Matthew.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, Mr AA man added some sort of stop-leak to the system, would this be the cause ?

EcosseGP
17th September 2012, 08:24 AM
Yeah you're right they probably are connected. When the radiator was changed I presume they have filled the system back up with coolant. The coolant probably being stronger than what was in your system before will "eat" into any weak areas which is usually the heater matrix (the metal goes weak just like the radiator over time) and results in the problem that you have encountered ..

A leaking heater matrix can cause corrosion/damage to other electrical components behind the dash. It can also cause the windscreen to mist up, which can be dangerous due to reduced visibility.

If the AA poured in Radweld or similar it will generally fix a small leak as a temporary measure, but can restrict the flow of water through the matrix causing you more problems.

The matrix isn't usually that costly its the hassle of the job that causes you the grief ..