PDA

View Full Version : Deid bugs.

MINIme:)
15th September 2012, 01:57 PM
There are about a million dead things slammed on the front bumper of my wee car after an aberdeen trip a couple of weeks ago. I think it's time I washed it. I usu find I struggle to get a good result on bugs because I don't have a pressure washer yet or snow foam to loosen stuff. A mitt doesn't seem to cut it. I wondered whether I should acquire something else (is tar remover sometimes called 'bug and tar remover' or did I imagine that?) or is my instinct to avoid the scratchy looking bug remover pads actually unfounded and they are ok to use?

thanks for any help gurus :smilewinkgrin:

Craig
15th September 2012, 02:39 PM
For bugs I normally just wash the car as soon after they are on and they normally come straight off due to the car being waxed.

As you've said the bugs have been on for weeks so your gonna have to use something that's gonna strip the wax. So I'd normally use some g101 sprayed on the front of the car and left to work for a few minutes (but not dry) then rub with a mf cloth or sponge. Rinse and see what's left.

As I say I rarely have to do the later as I don't let them "weld" onto the front on the car ,)

15th September 2012, 02:56 PM
oh dear! ok well I am not due a wax for a couple of months (I haven't invested in any stuff myself yet and don't plan to this year) and I also still have to get some G101 from you so I'll do what I can with a mitt and AG shampoo I guess!! I'll aim to get my act together a bit more in the future :angel: I do loads of motorway driving these days though so it's bugs galore just constantly.
Thanks for the help as ever. :thumbs up:

Gismo
15th September 2012, 03:31 PM
I use the mesh type mitts or pads to get rid of bugs.

15th September 2012, 04:25 PM
cool :thumbs up: just realised there's a soft mesh side to my mitt. It looks too soft to be useful but I will experiment!

Craig
15th September 2012, 04:34 PM
I would say Joanna that any cleaning techniques from the self confessed leader of the manky mob should be taken with a bucket of salt !! :lol:

15th September 2012, 04:46 PM
gah I'm caught between the two leaders :lol: ...the manky one I prob belong in a mob with and the one that helps me out on a regular basis, despite my failure to comply with shiny guidelines.

I'll maybe start my own team - 'Clueless and doesn't make the time'. Have to add though, it has occurred to me that being too shiny may enhance my status as a target from car park football playing meanies :unsure: :stamp:. I'll show you the scratches next time I see you... :sadangel::ragin:

Gismo
15th September 2012, 05:21 PM
I would say Joanna that any cleaning techniques from the self confessed leader of the manky mob should be taken with a bucket of salt !! :lol:To be fair, even although i am the king of mank, i always wash off bird crap and bugs, but......................... i only wash the affected area :thumbs up:
I see no harm in using a mesh type mitt on those areas, in fact, my latest mitt was purchased from Polished Bliss and is a Meguiars product :smilewinkgrin:

15th September 2012, 05:42 PM
:lol: I'll report back!, just once I've started....but first I'm going to have a wee psyche up with a cup of tea and a packet of crisps. :phew:
You've got me thinking, maybe I could just do the front bumper... :unsure:
:tumbleweed:

Gismo
15th September 2012, 05:51 PM
You've got me thinking, maybe I could just do the front bumper... :unsure: :tumbleweed:Works for me :lol:

ELFMAN
15th September 2012, 06:12 PM
Deid Bugs on your car for weeks? Pure laziness!!!
Whatever you do, you should maybe soak them for a while to soften up their poor smashed wee bodies, rather than trying to scrape them off 'in one go'.

Not really sure what to do, you see I always wash them off straight away, because I'm a good boy who loves his car and not a workshy layabout who indulges herself with tea and crisps...

15th September 2012, 06:41 PM
Indeed Alan, especially since my Mum phoned for some chit chat and set me back an hour. Maybe there's time to pour some hot water over the bumper for a soak and just clean the wheels...:yes:

Euan, you can be as judgemental as you like with your pamper palace garage and spare runabout car :moonie: :p us workshy layabout types have to struggle on regardless, it's so tough, you just don't understand.
I think I will have another cup of tea. Actually I'm feeling highly motivated I might soak some bugs while having a cup of tea. :yes nod:

Stewart
15th September 2012, 06:48 PM
[B] I'm a good boy who loves his car and not a workshy layabout who indulges herself with tea and crisps...

Some of us don’t have the option to lovingly wash our car knowing its getting put to bed in a wee house. :smilewinkgrin:

Having come back from Lochaber a few weeks back I still have not washed my car. In fact I was having withdrawal symptoms as my old and trusty PW finally gave up the ghost, well the lance did last week. So no excuse to buy a new PW coming next week. Had to order a Bosch Aquatak 115 Plus Pressure Washer (115 Bar) on Friday so as to keep the right adaptor for the foam lance. The old PW, a B&Q special lasted six or seven years so can’t complain.

15th September 2012, 06:51 PM
Stew I'm watching Lidl for the same offer to come round again.....A power washer will make a big difference to my car washing enjoyment I think!
how much was your new one?

ELFMAN
15th September 2012, 07:17 PM
Euan, you can be as judgemental as you like with your pamper palace garage and spare runabout car :moonie: :p us workshy layabout types have to struggle on regardless, it's so tough, you just don't understand. I think I will have another cup of tea. Actually I'm feeling highly motivated I might soak some bugs while having a cup of tea. :yes nod:

Aye, but I USED to always wash them off when it was my daily driver! :smilewinkgrin:
Why not combine the two and pour some tea on the bugs? :thumbs up:

- - - Updated - - -

Some of us don’t have the option to lovingly wash our car knowing its getting put to bed in a wee house. :smilewinkgrin:.

... and the same goes for you too Stewart! :shut up:

15th September 2012, 07:24 PM
I filled a bucket of hot water!

and turned round and it's raining :frown:

16th September 2012, 01:41 PM
not for those of a nervous disposition :smilewinkgrin:

I love my car.

Stewart
16th September 2012, 05:31 PM
I don’t mind getting a good PW as I enjoy the whole car washing thing so feel it is worth the money to get something I’m happy with. If it lasts as long as the last that was a lot cheaper then I’ll be happy.

Look away Jo as the price was £124 delivered. Truth be told the 110 Bar one at just under the £100 would have done but as it will get well used went for the more powerful better model. Next is to give the car a polish and seal for winter as I usually just foam and rinse over the period. Plus it get too brass Monkey's to be out washing cars so a quick PW takes the worst off.

EcosseGP
17th September 2012, 08:16 AM
A bucket and sponge with hot water will cure the front of your car it might take a few goes but just hold the sponge on the dead bodies before wiping them and they'll soon disappear .. A spray with AG fast glass before hand works too ;)

N16SHP
17th September 2012, 12:46 PM
I don't own a powerhose Joanna but if you have a hose with just a standard fitment (wide spray or direct spray, dunno how to describe it) as long as you hose the car as soon as your back the bugs come off easy if you've put the prep in before hand. I know Craig spent a lot of time on your car so that I have no worries about but if you've left them more than a couple of days you're gonna need some elbow grease!

I drove up from Perth the other week on a really sunny day and before I even went into my flat, I cranked out the hose, blasted the front end and then dried...good as new.

As the old saying goes, the more prep you put in now, the better you're results will be later!

Here's one for you. All the shiney cars in my car park always get blasted by the birds, all the manky ones survive. Someone told me there is truth in the whole they only poop on clean cars because apparently they catch their reflection and s**te themselves :idunno:

17th September 2012, 01:27 PM
can you really spray fast glass on the paintwork?? :eek: I have some of that!! ;) :whoohoo:

I washed it yesterday and yes the error of my ways was indeed revealed!! It was hard going and my back is really stiff today from the effort - serves me right! :lol: It's not a perfect job so I might have another little hot soak. I thought sponges were amongst the banned items list, no?!

yes I have a kinda spray end bit Neil, so I'll try to be more diligent. I do get Craig to do a 6 monthly wax and seal up so hopefully that's enough.

the other news is that on top of all the football created scratches I found a small dent on one side of the bonnet :sad: luckily it's only visible from certain angles with the right light...but even so :sadangel:

ELFMAN
17th September 2012, 02:55 PM
It was hard going and my back is really stiff today from the effort - serves me right! It's not a perfect job so I might have another little hot soak
Oh Dear... :blush: Just watch out for paparazzi with telephoto lenses... :camflash: :lol:

Sorry Jo, it's 'Innuendo Tourettes' - I can't help it... :frown:

N16SHP
17th September 2012, 02:58 PM
Oh Dear... :blush: Just watch out for paparazzi with telephoto lenses... :camflash: :lol:

:laugh:

17th September 2012, 06:12 PM
S'ok, I'm used to you Elf :rolleyes:

I meant my bug friends could get a little hot soak, but actually a nice bubble bath sounds raather good... :angel:

ELFMAN
18th September 2012, 09:48 AM
actually a nice bubble bath sounds raather good... :angel:

:camflash: :camflash: :camflash: :excited: :whiteflag:

Crombers
18th September 2012, 04:57 PM
I use the mesh type mitts or pads to get rid of bugs.

Let em be 'I say'

You murdered them in the first place !!

Dirt is good !!