PDA

View Full Version : my power steering went last night :(

markjbb
7th September 2012, 08:15 PM
my power steering went on the way back home from the shops last night :(
but when i got home to have a look the oil level was fine and when i restarted the car it worked fine ? but it seem to work ok for a few miles then cuts out then works fine after restarting the car again

is it just the bushes in the electric motor that need renewed and cleaned up inside if so i could take it off the car and see if the guy in berwick just down then road from me car sort it. as he does car electrics like starter motors etc

john
8th September 2012, 12:28 AM
Difficult to know what's wrong over the net but minis are know for the electric pumps failing.

Voodoo
8th September 2012, 11:15 AM
The power steering pump went on our r53 and mini are aware of an issue but it isn't a recalled part. We got a good will offer from bmw of them fitting the new one for free but we would have to pay for the new pump. We were still under warranty with Evans halshaw at the time so they fixed it for free. That was about 2 years ago so their offer might of changed but mention it to your nearest mini dealer and see what they can do.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Crombers
10th September 2012, 08:15 AM
What age is your MINI?

markjbb
17th September 2012, 12:52 PM
It a 2004 mini cooper
But it been fine all this week ? I'll just have to keep an eye on it it hasn't gotten any worse it seems to be getting better

Gorbash12346
3rd October 2012, 07:24 PM
wrote a reply to this and it disappeared.. weird

anyway
it will almost certainly be the power steering pump on it's way out.
they either fail internally or the connector on the pump for it's main power cables contacts get corroded start to create resistance and subsequently start to melt the plug and the connector on the pump.
get a look at the main power cable on it to see if it's visibly melted or damaged. then carefully pull it out try not to damage the yellow seal on the side of the plug as hopefully it can be re-used and should prevent any water/oil from that infernal sump gasket getting in. check the pins for corrosion or melting on bot the plug and the pump. if it's ok then just change the pump. if the power plug is corroded your best off changing the battery +ve cable assembly as well to prevent the new pump from getting melted.

worst case scenario is it melts the connector next to it for the activation line which is part of the main engine wiring loom which unless they've now started selling repair kits can only be bought as the entire loom which is overkill and expensive

hope this helps

severe failue
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HXHZ8CWVlv8/Tu-uFX-mRFI/AAAAAAAAAA8/H-mI5oOCLyI/s1600/water_pump_death_b.jpg

markjbb
9th March 2013, 02:43 PM
an update on his

i've had no more problems with it since it started working again so maybe when i got the bushes done they had moved the pump or something?? it's a weird one

markjbb
28th August 2014, 12:25 PM
Finally got around to replacing the steering pump last night. Recon unit from bba reman £195 part ex. It's not too bad to swap out the back two bolts are a bit awkward to get too.

markjbb
28th August 2014, 12:29 PM
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/MINI/47-SUSPEN-Power_Steering_Pump_Replacement/47-SUSPEN-Power_Steering_Pump_Replacement.htm this came in handy

Craig
28th August 2014, 02:43 PM
Good news Mark :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk