PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers

Voodoo
3rd September 2012, 09:55 AM
Right after the great advice I got on exhausts I'm now on the hunt for Coilovers, the suspension at the front has started to knock a bit so thought feck it I'll bang on coils my R53 since its now 9 years old and this is the first problem I've had with suspension. Chances are if I don't get the lot done it would need redoing later anyways.

So my question for you helpful lot is will coilovers for an R50 fit an R53 as I see more kits for the R50 than then R53 but surely its more or less all the same setup between the two? I've also seem some kits that say R50 + S or R50/R53, just don't want to get the wrong kit and it not fit or need extra bits that are missing.

Cheers!

ELFMAN
3rd September 2012, 12:24 PM
Mon The Fish... Over to you!

Craig
3rd September 2012, 12:29 PM
Coastal Racing in the north of England are very good any would give you great advice ;)

Mon the fish
3rd September 2012, 01:28 PM
I think the early builds had different top mounts or something, 02 or earlier. But anything after that, R50 will fit R53. Springs may be different though, as the R53 is heavier than the R50. If you're going down the route of coils, do all the bushes etc as well, as you won't get the benefit of the coils if you don't. I'd want to find the source of the knocking first as well, before I modified anything. Do you have particular coils in mind?

Voodoo
3rd September 2012, 01:49 PM
Its a 53 Plate R53 so hopefully its all good then. I'm off to see my mechanic mate the night and hopefully he can give me more of an idea. He heard it before and seems to think its either the shocks or the top mount that is causing the noise. If it is the shocks coilovers will be going in as might as well replace stock with something a bit better at the time.

No idea which coilovers to go for at the moment just looking to get an idea of prices. I can see it starts about £200 for the FK sets which I've seen mixed reviews for and average is about £400 for a set fo Gmax or similar.

Again I'll have a word with my mate tonight and see what he suggests too. If the knocking is only a dodgy top mount then I'll just get that fixed.

Mon the fish
3rd September 2012, 01:51 PM
FK's are horrible, and will knock worse than you have at the moment. At the age of your car, the front lower rear wishbone bushes will be shot, so they would definitely need done.

Depends what you want from coils really, but to do it properly you're looking at £1k for coils, bushes, topmounts, control arms, droplinks etc

Forbes
5th September 2012, 08:05 PM
Depends what you want from coils really, but to do it properly you're looking at for coils,topmounts, droplinks etc

I sent you a PM I have those items off the car ready to sell