PDA

View Full Version : R53 Exhaust

Voodoo
30th August 2012, 04:57 PM
Hi guys, the first silencer on our R53 Cooper S is rusting away and the hanging bracket is fooked, so just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on where to get it fixed in Aberdeen.

Spoke with Turriff Tyres and they are quoting £359 for a stainless steel replacement, BMW are wanting about £300-400 for the silencer and fitting.

I've just submitted a request for a quote from Wallace too.

Just need to see if you guys have came across any great exhaust deals.

If we get a stainless steel replacement we'd have an almost new second silencer going up for sale too if anyone would be interested :)

Big Gordy
30th August 2012, 05:19 PM
One word.......PLAYMINI...!!

Mon the fish
30th August 2012, 05:42 PM
Borla, Janspeed, Milltek, JCW and Playmini all have proven power gains. Keep an eye on the classifieds, pick one up cheap

Or you could one-ball your existing system

Voodoo
30th August 2012, 08:36 PM
Was thinking about one balling it but not sure who in the area would do it.

Will look at play mini.

Also seen this on Fleabay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Mini-Cooper-S-2002-2006-Sportex-Exhaust-Dual-3-/350590393066?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make:Mini|Plat_Gen:R53&hash=item51a0d0daea

I know someone that can fit it for me so that wouldn't be an issue. Just not sure if its a good deal or crap (I've been out of the modded car scene too long....)

Mon the fish
31st August 2012, 08:16 AM
Have a look here: http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f24/mini-torque-cooper-s-exhaust-gallery-347/

Plenty vids etc to compare noise

ELFMAN
31st August 2012, 01:24 PM
Think I'm gonna go with the playmini now after hearing it.

Whatever system you decide to go for, it'll certainly add something to the R53 experience.

I was very happy with the Playmini for a good few years, it seemed to fit the 'character' of my car very well, with a nice 'tuned' sound, not 'tinny', but 'rounded'.

I fitted the Playmini Manifold after having run just the system for a while, and it did make it quite a lot louder - but sounded even better! With the Manifold, it was quite 'in your face' (or your ears!), so if you want to sound tuned and a bit louder, but not "race me" loud (which I never did.... obviously :smilewinkgrin: ), stick with just the system, and if/when you need a bit more aural entertainment (and a wee power boost) go for the manifold :thumbs up:

Fartin Martin
31st August 2012, 01:45 PM
Haha. This is where I get confused. Manifolds and all that chat..I do want to sound quite tuned. Going for a pretty mean look and sound..lowering it on its erse!

Burple
31st August 2012, 02:19 PM
Was thinking about one balling it but not sure who in the area would do it.

Will look at play mini.

Also seen this on Fleabay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Mini-Cooper-S-2002-2006-Sportex-Exhaust-Dual-3-/350590393066?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make:Mini|Plat_Gen:R53&hash=item51a0d0daea (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Mini-Cooper-S-2002-2006-Sportex-Exhaust-Dual-3-/350590393066?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make:Mini%7CPlat_Gen:R53&hash=item51a0d0daea)

I know someone that can fit it for me so that wouldn't be an issue. Just not sure if its a good deal or crap (I've been out of the modded car scene too long....)

To be honest.. I had a Sportex Manifold back system on an old classic years ago.. it was pretty cheaply made. If I were you''d spend a bit extra on a proper stainless one..:thumbs up:

ELFMAN
31st August 2012, 02:46 PM
I do want to sound quite tuned. Going for a pretty mean look and sound...
Then go for a Playmini system with either their own Manifold or any decent make, then, as AC/DC put it - "Let There Be SOUND!" :shut up: :smug:

The Manifold helps the whole thing work/breathe better, as the standard one's crap. Apart from the great noise, I'm certain mine revved better after fitting. My Playmini manifold had an 'integral' Sports Cat, but you can get manifolds (like GTT etc) which have separate Cats/De-cat pipes which might make more sense... and even more noise. De-cat and Playmini might just be a wee bit TOO loud - especially if you want to tune the motor, as that always tends to create more decibels, but the separate pipe setup lets you decide, and also, if the Cat should ever go, you don't have to bin the whole manifold, or vice-versa.

Fartin Martin
31st August 2012, 02:51 PM
Then go for a Playmini system with either their own Manifold or any decent make, then, as AC/DC put it - "Let There Be SOUND!" :shut up: :smug:

The Manifold helps the whole thing work/breathe better, as the standard one's crap. Apart from the great noise, I'm certain mine revved better after fitting. My Playmini manifold had an 'integral' Sports Cat, but you can get manifolds (like GTT etc) which have separate Cats/De-cat pipes which might make more sense... and even more noise. De-cat and Playmini might just be a wee bit TOO loud - especially if you want to tune the motor, as that always tends to create more decibels, but the separate pipe setup lets you decide, and also, if the Cat should ever go, you don't have to bin the whole manifold, or vice-versa.

Ahhhhhhh!! That's cleared it up..kinda aha but a get what you mean..I'll start with the exhaust and see how that sounds and if I want the manifold then I'll look into that later on :) cheers man

ELFMAN
31st August 2012, 04:18 PM
No Probs :thumbs up:
Love my 'new' (3 years +) car, and it sounds pretty good with the stuff I have on it, but one of the things I miss most about my R53 is "THE NOISE"!
Crombers had to go into therapy when I traded it in... :frown: He has my Manifold on his COOPER though, so the Noise lives on! :motoring:

Voodoo
3rd September 2012, 09:50 AM
Right might have the exhaust sorted, going for a custom stainless steel on, just need to get her booked in!

rpn
3rd September 2012, 11:16 AM
Where from? Turriff Tyres??? and how much if you dont mind me asking?

Voodoo
3rd September 2012, 11:26 AM
Turriff quoted £359 for a powerflow, but Wallace quoted £299 for the same sort of setup. With it being a lot closer will save more in travel costs too.

Voodoo
10th September 2012, 06:37 PM
Exhaust sorted, took it to Wallace but unfortunately they booked in as a cooper not a cooper s so they never had the right bits for it so we decided to one-nut it :)

The passenger side silencer was replaced last years so we knew it was fine. We now have a stainless steel center section joint to the existing second silencer. Have to say don't really notice any difference in noise but it cost a lot less than the full system so not fussed :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Craig
10th September 2012, 07:01 PM
Good news in the end :thumbs up:

Gismo
10th September 2012, 07:06 PM
Good news in the end :thumbs up:What he said :thumbs up:

stoney
10th September 2012, 07:55 PM
Glad it's all sorted