PDA

View Full Version : R56 S Pads Change

N16SHP
27th August 2012, 12:54 PM
Hi folks,

Going to be replacing Kirsten's front brake pads on her R56 S. I've no problem with changing over the pads, but I'm a little bit intimidated by this whole brake sensor thing? Anyone able to shed some light on how it works and how to replace it with the pads?

Also, found the pads I want at Unipart Here (http://www.unipartautomotive.co.uk/Brake%20FrictionPads/Mini-MINI-1.6-2008/Parts.aspx?SubGroup=BR%7eBrake+Friction%7ePADS-BR%7ePads) Part No. UGCGBP1912AF and it says 'set' £48. Is that for two pads or for four? If it's two that makes them more expensive than Mini Genuine Parts which I find hard to believe?

thanks in advance!

Mon the fish
27th August 2012, 02:06 PM
Pads will only come in sets of 4 AFAIK. If the sensor hasn't tripped, you should just be able to slot it into the pads. Or, just tie-strap it out of the way

Alex from NM
27th August 2012, 02:45 PM
The R56 the sensor must be replaced. There is something in it that won't let you reset the warning light unless a new one is fitted. Its a simple twist in bayonet fit hidden around the back of the wheel arch. Very easy to do

Mon the fish
27th August 2012, 06:05 PM
But if the warning light hasn't tripped, you can still use the same sensor, right? That's what I did for the R53

N16SHP
27th August 2012, 06:58 PM
Yeah, the sensor has tripped so will need a new one. I assumed it would be pretty straight forward as in unplug and replace but wasn't sure how it slotted into the pads.

Thanks for the help lads!

Alex from NM
27th August 2012, 08:03 PM
But if the warning light hasn't tripped, you can still use the same sensor, right? That's what I did for the R53

Sadly, not on the R56. You are bang on as if you caught it on the R50 it was fine. Sadly in their search to relieve MINI owners of their coin you cannot re-use the same sensor on the R56. Tried it on mine when I had 1,000 miles left before I changed. Tried the reset and it just kept counting down. Replaced the sensor and bingo it would let me reset.

Mon the fish
28th August 2012, 08:02 AM
Ah, progress. Or at least the progression of money from your wallet to Mini

N16SHP
28th August 2012, 03:48 PM
Result, new pads (unipart) £48, new sensor £20 fitting it ourselfs for free so a grand total of £68.

Mini genuine parts for the same pads and sensor £116 madness. JC's offered to change her pads last time the car was in for an MOT at a casual £220 plus vat...no thanks!

Alex from NM
31st August 2012, 05:45 PM
I got stung the other week by MINI for rear brake pads all in a vain effort to keep my service manual up to date :rolleyes:

Could have done it for around the same price plus the cost of the rear caliper rewind tool :(