PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pad Replacement... ???

RobSco
15th August 2012, 08:17 PM
Hi Guys.

Looking for some advice from anyone regarding replacing the Brake Pads on my Mini Cooper...

Today Warning Light has come on and looks like I need to replace the Brake Pads, Having not really worked on a Mini don't know if this is quite easy to do or what kind of pads to get for the best or where to get them...

Phoned up Peter Vardy's and a local garage near to me both wanted £200 - £220 for replacing both Front and Rear and feel that this is quite expensive especially when you look at the price for pads for it and it's something I could have done without at this moment and time...:ragin:

Thing is I don't know if I need both Front and Rear but the Rear Pads were highlighted to me a few months back but feel that they might both need done now... ???

Looking for any advice from anyone who may have done this in the past and what's the best to do, all information greatly appreciated... :thumbs up:

Putting the feelers out to see what's the best possible remedy is, and the cheapest... :yes nod:

Cheers... :thumbs up:

Craig
15th August 2012, 09:22 PM
Pandamonium Racing do brake pads and Hamish could do you a deal ;)

Never changed pads yet on any of my minis so sorry Robert I can't help ....

RobSco
15th August 2012, 09:27 PM
Pandamonium Racing do brake pads and Hamish could do you a deal ;)

Never changed pads yet on any of my minis so sorry Robert I can't help ....

Cheers for that Craig... :thumbs up:

Mon the fish
16th August 2012, 05:53 PM
Pads are easy to do. Try somewhere like Unipart, they do cheap OEM pads; think Pagid is OE supplier

RobSco
16th August 2012, 07:28 PM
Pads are easy to do. Try somewhere like Unipart, they do cheap OEM pads; think Pagid is OE supplier

Thanks for that Gordon... :thumbs up: ...Easier said than done... :lol:

I'm now thinking of doing the rear ones first then the front as it's all down to price as on looking at the rear disc's they are worn and I would be better to replace the disc's before putting on new pads... :yes nod:

Looking on the internet to see what's available and looking for the best price... :thumbs up:

bpirie1000
16th August 2012, 07:47 PM
Easy enough to do yourself. Need a rewind tool..

Heres the just.
Front
Take off wheel.
Take off black caps undo capiler slide hex bolts...
Wiggle caliper to ease off the pads.
Inspect...
Wire brush the pad carrier especially where the pads sit.
then measure them up like for like. Remember one has a spring clip for inside the caliper..
inspect disc. If there is a lip then get new ones.
Ten bung it back together..

RobSco
16th August 2012, 07:59 PM
Easy enough to do yourself. Need a rewind tool..

Heres the just.
Front
Take off wheel.
Take off black caps undo capiler slide hex bolts...
Wiggle caliper to ease off the pads.
Inspect...
Wire brush the pad carrier especially where the pads sit.
then measure them up like for like. Remember one has a spring clip for inside the caliper..
inspect disc. If there is a lip then get new ones.
Ten bung it back together..

Cheers for that, but on looking at disc's they have a lip, so will be in my interest to replace these as well... Thanks for the info... :thumbs up:

KenL
16th August 2012, 08:26 PM
Do discs not always have a lip of some sort even after a few thousand miles? I thought it was the minimum thickness of the active part of the discs that mattered, and if they were heavily scored on that surface?

RobSco
16th August 2012, 10:32 PM
Do discs not always have a lip of some sort even after a few thousand miles? I thought it was the minimum thickness of the active part of the discs that mattered, and if they were heavily scored on that surface?

Disc's will have a lip on them after a few thousand miles as you state Ken but if they are worn down quite a bit could result in wasting the new brake pads being fitted as they would have to bed themselves onto the disc...

Will be having a closer look before making the final decision in what to do, I could put on new pads but if the discs are close to needing replaced, though that I would replace discs as well, as if I do it later I would have to replace pads again... :thumbs up:

KenL
17th August 2012, 06:02 AM
That is a good point Rob.

How many miles have you done? In my S I traded it with about 35k miles. The computer said it would be another 8k miles before they needed replaced.

RobSco
17th August 2012, 07:22 AM
That is a good point Rob.

How many miles have you done? In my S I traded it with about 35k miles. The computer said it would be another 8k miles before they needed replaced.

My Cooper has just passed the 50K miles, so might be time to change... :yes nod:

Mon the fish
17th August 2012, 08:03 AM
I would be surprised if the rear discs are worn significantly, the rears on the R50 do very little work. Normally corrosion through lack of use is a bigger problem.

Fronts should have a decent lip on them by now to be fair, I used to get 20k out a set of OEM discs and pads at the front

Craig
17th August 2012, 09:21 AM
The rear calipers are known for seizing on which could have compounded the issue ...

Big Gordy
17th August 2012, 10:33 AM
The rear calipers are known for seizing on which could have compounded the issue ...

Aye....tell me about it....I'm on my 3rd offside rear and ours has only done 24k...!!!

RobSco
11th September 2012, 11:13 PM
Well after a few weeks have went by I'm no further forward in replacing rear brake disc's and pads... :frown:...I've searched high and low looking at all possibilities and prices, even Hamish was giving me a good price on the parts, it was the fitting them that was the problem, and when you totalled everything up, parts and getting someone to fit them, the price was around the same as getting it done at Perter Vardy...

Now looking at the Mini Value Services that Peter Vardy do, and for rear disc's and pads the price is quite reasonable considering what it was going to cost for buying the parts alone, as well as this they come with a 2 year warranty, so will have to find the time to get it booked in... :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
12th September 2012, 07:44 AM
I have a mate who runs a wee garage in Larbert if you want me to give him a call Rob :confused: I need to call him anyway to book the daughters car in :thumbs up:

RobSco
12th September 2012, 07:50 AM
I have a mate who runs a wee garage in Larbert if you want me to give him a call Rob :confused: I need to call him anyway to book the daughters car in :thumbs up:

Hi Gordon

Thanks for that... Worth a try to see what he would take for the rear, I've nothing to lose but would be good to know... Thanks... :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
12th September 2012, 09:15 AM
What prices do you want me to get..?? Fitting only or parts and fitting..??

P.S. just tried to phone you....left a message

P.P.S. Need your reg number so he's costing the correct parts

RobSco
12th September 2012, 06:50 PM
What prices do you want me to get..?? Fitting only or parts and fitting..??

P.S. just tried to phone you....left a message

P.P.S. Need your reg number so he's costing the correct parts

Thanks Gordon...Text sent... Cheers... :thumbs up:

Stewart
14th September 2012, 11:43 AM
My front are showing 4K left, what was the price PV quoted for this value service. HF giffnock tried to charge me £30 to fit a bulb yesterday hence I did it myself. Honestly MINI dealers two minute job by someone that knows what they are doing and cant help out a customer for nothing with my buying the bulb at £2. So did it myself.

Car being kept till next summer so looking for a place to Service it and brakes and MOT. Out of warranty and TLC MINI are no fun at all.:smilewinkgrin:

Big Gordy
14th September 2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks Gordon...Text sent... Cheers... :thumbs up:

No problem Rob......just let me know if you need his number :thumbs up:

RobSco
14th September 2012, 06:45 PM
My front are showing 4K left, what was the price PV quoted for this value service. HF giffnock tried to charge me £30 to fit a bulb yesterday hence I did it myself. Honestly MINI dealers two minute job by someone that knows what they are doing and cant help out a customer for nothing with my buying the bulb at £2. So did it myself.

Car being kept till next summer so looking for a place to Service it and brakes and MOT. Out of warranty and TLC MINI are no fun at all.:smilewinkgrin:

Hi Stewart

Here's the price of the Peter Vardys Value Services, but these are available at all BMW Mini franchise... http://www.petervardymini.co.uk/services-accessories/service/mini-value-service ...

But it's for Mini's up to 2006 only, so your R56 Cooper won't be covered... :sad: ...Can't believe they tried to charge you £30 to change a bulb... :frown:

I'm now getting my brakes done by a mate of Gordons who has a garage in Larbert... and I'm Very Happy...:smilewinkgrin:

No problem Rob......just let me know if you need his number :thumbs up:

Hi Gordon

Thanks Again - Totally amazed at the price I'm getting them fitted for, Just sent you a text, you can either send me his number by text or PM me on here... Thanks Again... :thumbs up: ...Owe you a drink...:beer:

Stewart
14th September 2012, 07:13 PM
Yeah £32 fitted and in truth I should have never asked as it was a five minute job you should be able to do. I hate anything to do with removing parts myself so thought if someone could spare a few minutes that would be great, but seemingly a goodwill gesture is something rare these days, started getting worried when the girl started printing off a sheet. Guy last time just got the bulb and put it in for me but I guess the age of the car now flags up “out of warranty”.

Great you got a deal on the Brakes, part reason I drive my car as I do is I simply cant afford to replace tyre, brakes etc over the norm.

Big Gordy
14th September 2012, 07:30 PM
John Ritchie Pro-Grip 01324 557071 and his website... http://www.pro-grip.org.uk/Home.html

Top bloke.....known him for 20+ years....always serviced my cars back when he did it up the side of his dad house to present day in his new wee unit at Larbert :thumbs up:

I think a few guys on here have used him for his lazer wheel alignment

RobSco
14th September 2012, 07:44 PM
John Ritchie Pro-Grip 01324 557071 and his website... http://www.pro-grip.org.uk/Home.html

Top bloke.....known him for 20+ years....always serviced my cars back when he did it up the side of his dad house to present day in his new wee unit at Larbert :thumbs up:

I think a few guys on here have used him for his lazer wheel alignment

Thanks Gordon, will give him a call to arrange a day to get this done... Very much appreciated... :yes nod: ...Will let you know when I get it done... :thumbs up:

RobSco
29th September 2012, 01:21 PM
Well finally got the Rear Disc's and Brake Pads fitted by John Ritchie of Pro-Grip on 01324 557071 and his website... http://www.pro-grip.org.uk/index.html, Excellent job well done and will be using again for anything else in the future, next job will be the Front Disc's and Brake Pads, time to save...

Big Thanks to Gordon who pointed me in the right direction to getting this done... Cheers... :thumbs up: ...Also nice to have met up with you again Gordon at John's, still owe you that drink... :yes nod:

Tam1314
29th September 2012, 02:54 PM
Where do I find how long my pads have to go on the cars computer.

Craig
29th September 2012, 04:15 PM
Great news Robert ;)

RobSco
29th September 2012, 05:46 PM
Where do I find how long my pads have to go on the cars computer.

Brake Pad Warning Light came on with mine due to the sensor that is fitted on the brake pads, Computer won't tell you how many miles you've got left on the pads as it's all down to how hard you are on your brakes... :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
29th September 2012, 05:54 PM
Big Thanks to Gordon who pointed me in the right direction to getting this done... Cheers... :thumbs up: ...Also nice to have met up with you again Gordon at John's, still owe you that drink... :yes nod:

No problemo Roberto.....good to see you again for a blethir